PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: The DC Power Game now centered around B-ball (& guess who is the gatekeeper...)

-bdbd
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
The DC Power Game, according to ESPN, is now centered around B-ball. Anyone care to guess who is the "gatekeeper?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090618/dchoops

Kinda nice to see a former Duke player/grad shown so prominently in an article about Washington power. For the longest time I thought our claim to fame in this city would have to rest with Richard Nixon and maybe Senator (and one-time potential First Lady) Elizabeth Dole.

We can't claim Bill Bradley, but anyone know of other Duke players/grads who've figured into prominent political roles?

Speaking of politics, I was at Duke when the opportunity was being discussed for housing the Nixon Library at Duke. As I recall, it was the faculty, more so than the students, whose loud objections eventually caused Duke's withdrawl. (I recall some Kerlina friends joking at the time that we'd forever be known as "Tricky Dick U"). But I digress...

-BDBD

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-17-2009, 09:00 PM
The DC Power Game, according to ESPN, is now centered around B-ball. Anyone care to guess who is the "gatekeeper?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=090618/dchoops

Kinda nice to see a former Duke player/grad shown so prominently in an article about Washington power. For the longest time I thought our claim to fame in this city would have to rest with Richard Nixon and maybe Senator (and one-time potential First Lady) Elizabeth Dole.

We can't claim Bill Bradley, but anyone know of other Duke players/grads who've figured into prominent political roles?

Speaking of politics, I was at Duke when the opportunity was being discussed for housing the Nixon Library at Duke. As I recall, it was the faculty, more so than the students, whose loud objections eventually caused Duke's withdrawl. (I recall some Kerlina friends joking at the time that we'd forever be known as "Tricky Dick U"). But I digress...

-BDBD
How about Phil Lader, T '66? He and his his wife Linda founded the Renaissance Weekend. During the Clinton administration Phil was a cabinet member and played various other roles in that administration. He also served as Ambassador to the Court of St. James.