PDA

View Full Version : Would you like the see the NBA institute a draft age rule similar to the NFL?

mickeysgotagun
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
From what I've seen on the boards, there seems to be a general dislike for one-and-done players and the recent focus on recruiting big players like that. My question is, would you favor the NBA applying a similar draft age rule as the NFL (ex. must be the age of a rising senior in college or above.)?

Bluedog
06-17-2009, 04:51 PM
No, not NFL. But I'd like similar to MLB. Can go directly from high school, but if elect to go to college, must stay two-three years (either is okay with me). Third option!

mickeysgotagun
06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
No, not NFL. But I'd like similar to MLB. Can go directly from high school, but if elect to go to college, must stay two-three years (either is okay with me). Third option!

o_O. Interesting, I was not actually aware of the fact that such a rule existed in the MLB. That does seem like a rather sensible rule.

mgtr
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree with the MLB approach. Gives options to both the players and the teams, and gives colleges a chance to work with students who have actually unpacked their bags.

nicktonyg22
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I agree with Bluedog.

Players should be able to go directly to the pro's from high school, but if they go to college they must stay for at least two years. This is the agreement that Coach K has been pushing for, as he has explained in recent interviews (Dan Patrick show, etc).

Third option for MLB style gets my vote.

CDu
06-17-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not really a fan of either the NFL or MLB approach as it applies to the NBA, really. I agree that the one-and-done goes against the concept of academics. But the colleges themselves certainly don't seem to be suffering, and the NBA certainly isn't suffering. The only ones who suffer are the players.

I don't see how it's fair to prevent people who are qualified from going for a job. What if a kid's financial circumstances/needs change after their first year of college? That's why I prefer to let them commit at any point after high school. The only reason the NBA instituted the rule was to make more money off draft picks (easier to market a college star) and maybe make fewer draft mistakes (easier to assess college players). There's no benefit to the player by having these rules in place.

Allowing kids who have no interest in college to go to the NBA is a good thing, in my opinion. It gives those guys a chance to pursue their dreams and it gives more opportunities to kids who really want the college athletics experience. So I'd rather see them take the age rule out rather than make it more restrictive.

elvis14
06-19-2009, 09:25 AM
I'm all for keeping the kids in school and I like the NFL rule. For every Kobe, KG, LBJ there's a bunch guys that are young, cocky and stupid and think they are great players, etc. They either don't make a roster or spend a short time on the end of the bench then they are out of a job and have no education to fall back on. Coming out of high school some agent talked them into going for it so he could get his cut of the kids $$. Basically we are throwing these kids out in to shark filled waters covered in chum and they are too young to realize it.

Everyone wants to see the exceptions because guys like LeBron did it. They need some realism because there really aren't too many guys like LeBron.

Just my $.02

Reddevil
06-19-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm not really a fan of either the NFL or MLB approach as it applies to the NBA, really. I agree that the one-and-done goes against the concept of academics. But the colleges themselves certainly don't seem to be suffering, and the NBA certainly isn't suffering. The only ones who suffer are the players.

I don't see how it's fair to prevent people who are qualified from going for a job. What if a kid's financial circumstances/needs change after their first year of college? That's why I prefer to let them commit at any point after high school. The only reason the NBA instituted the rule was to make more money off draft picks (easier to market a college star) and maybe make fewer draft mistakes (easier to assess college players). There's no benefit to the player by having these rules in place.

Allowing kids who have no interest in college to go to the NBA is a good thing, in my opinion. It gives those guys a chance to pursue their dreams and it gives more opportunities to kids who really want the college athletics experience. So I'd rather see them take the age rule out rather than make it more restrictive.

How would you feel about going back to freshmen being ineligible? That would weed out most of the non-student athletes. I like the MLB rule best, but if the NBA or NBAPA won't budge, this is an option for the NCAA.

SoCalDukeFan
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I'm all for keeping the kids in school and I like the NFL rule. For every Kobe, KG, LBJ there's a bunch guys that are young, cocky and stupid and think they are great players, etc. They either don't make a roster or spend a short time on the end of the bench then they are out of a job and have no education to fall back on. Coming out of high school some agent talked them into going for it so he could get his cut of the kids $$. Basically we are throwing these kids out in to shark filled waters covered in chum and they are too young to realize it.

Everyone wants to see the exceptions because guys like LeBron did it. They need some realism because there really aren't too many guys like LeBron.

Just my $.02
I agree that there are not too many LeBrons.

However name the "bunch" that never went to college, did not get substantial NBA dough, and are out of basketball. And how many of them would have been "student" athletes. If they were in the NBA for any length of time and wanted an education, they could start school and pay for it themselves when their short pro career was finished.

I think the one and done rule is definitely hurting college basketball. Look at the mess at USC and the mess at Memphis. Both involve one and done players who would probably have gone straight to the NBA if they could have.

I like the baseball rule. Even if it was modified to 2 years rather than 3, it would force a player to make a commitment to his college if he chose college. Absent the baseball rule, then make freshmen ineligible.

SoCal

Spret42
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I would like there to be something like baseball for both football and basketball. I want the young players to have options. Let them be drafted by teams, then they have the option to choose to go pro or go to college. If they choose to go pro then teams and leagues set up legitimate minor league training systems etc, pay them a decent wage, teach them to be professional athletes and when the time comes they progress to the highest levels.

If they choose to go to college they would be required to be true amateur student athletes.

It would seem the baseball model works. The athlete has the most viable options.

DevilBen02
06-19-2009, 12:23 PM
A lot of people advocate for the MLB rule, but what incentive does the NBA have to allow this either/or option? As someone noted, the benefit to the NBA comes from the actual stars being able to gain some name recognition among fans in their 1+ year in the NCAA. If that single year is enough to make Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose marketable for the league, why would they want a system where they can't cash in on these players until they've served their three years in college?

If anything, such a rule may actually push more HS kids to declare for the draft so that they don't have to put in their unpaid time in college before they can finally get to the league. Then, the NBA is again gambling that there are more LeBrons and Dwight Howards than Jonathan Benders and Ndudi Ebis.

I agree that such a system would be beneficial to the NCAA, but the NCAA isn't the one making the rules. I think the best for all parties would be if high school kids were allowed to declare, another round or two was added back to the draft, and the NBDL was used as a true minor league system. That way, all these high school kids with no interest or aptitude for college could have an option to go directly to the league, better avoid the risk of going undrafted, and develop at an appropriate pace in the D-league.

tysi1521
06-19-2009, 01:48 PM
How about just a flat out 20 year old age limit for the NBA? Do whatever you want after high school (college, Europe, etc.), but you must be 20 before you are NBA eligible.

elvis14
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I agree that there are not too many LeBrons.

However name the "bunch" that never went to college, did not get substantial NBA dough, and are out of basketball. And how many of them would have been "student" athletes. If they were in the NBA for any length of time and wanted an education, they could start school and pay for it themselves when their short pro career was finished.

That's a good question (I could be wrong!). It's pretty easy to find the NBA players that were drafted out of high school (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prep-to-pro_players). Many have done pretty well. It's harder to find the list of players that entered the NBA draft from high school and went undrafted.

Here's the class of 2005 (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Has-the-High-School-Class-of-05-Doomed-the-2009-NBA-Draft-3246/), for example

Rivals.com may have a more complete list (http://www.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1132&CID=356192)

Rudy
06-19-2009, 02:27 PM
How would you feel about going back to freshmen being ineligible? That would weed out most of the non-student athletes. I like the MLB rule best, but if the NBA or NBAPA won't budge, this is an option for the NCAA.
This is my view, but I doubt the toothpaste can be put back in the tube. What was the compelling argument for allowing freshmen eligible for varsity in the first place? Does anyone remember?

SoCalDukeFan
06-19-2009, 04:22 PM
This is my view, but I doubt the toothpaste can be put back in the tube. What was the compelling argument for allowing freshmen eligible for varsity in the first place? Does anyone remember?

My view is that high school players should be able to go straight to the NBA.

And freshmen should be eligible for varsity college basketball.

However, if the NBA does not change its rule then the NCAA should make freshmen ineligible.

I think the reason freshmen are eligible for varsity sports is mostly money. Title IX may have something to do with it. You can also argue that frosh can be in other school activities, ie drama productions, why not sports.

SoCal

mgtr
06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Here's the class of 2005 (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Has-the-High-School-Class-of-05-Doomed-the-2009-NBA-Draft-3246/), for example

Reading through this list, particularly those who went straight to the NBA, reminds me of those "where are they now" stories. I think this list shows why the NBA went for one year of college -- they did a horrible job of drafting direct from high school (yeah, yeah -- I know about the few exceptions). How would these players have fared in college as players and students? Who knows, but most didn't do much in the NBA.

kmspeaks
06-19-2009, 06:39 PM
A lot of people advocate for the MLB rule, but what incentive does the NBA have to allow this either/or option? As someone noted, the benefit to the NBA comes from the actual stars being able to gain some name recognition among fans in their 1+ year in the NCAA. If that single year is enough to make Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose marketable for the league, why would they want a system where they can't cash in on these players until they've served their three years in college?

If anything, such a rule may actually push more HS kids to declare for the draft so that they don't have to put in their unpaid time in college before they can finally get to the league. Then, the NBA is again gambling that there are more LeBrons and Dwight Howards than Jonathan Benders and Ndudi Ebis.

I agree that such a system would be beneficial to the NCAA, but the NCAA isn't the one making the rules. I think the best for all parties would be if high school kids were allowed to declare, another round or two was added back to the draft, and the NBDL was used as a true minor league system. That way, all these high school kids with no interest or aptitude for college could have an option to go directly to the league, better avoid the risk of going undrafted, and develop at an appropriate pace in the D-league.

I agree that the NBA is not likely to institute something similar to the MLB rule because there is very little if any benefit for them to do so. How about in addition to adding another round or two make the draft more similar to MLB in another way, players who are drafted do not have to sign and can retain any remaining NCAA eligibility.

Why not let a kid see exactly where they would be drafted, what kind of system they would be in, and what the paycheck would look like? I never understood why basketball and football prospects have to specifically declare for the draft and lose eligibility upon doing so. Baseball prospects can be drafted 3, and if they go to junior college even more, times with no such penalty.

MChambers
06-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I don't see any reason to keep very talented players from going directly to the NBA (or other pro destinations). At the same time, I think players should have incentives to go to college and for more than one year.

SupaDave
06-21-2009, 06:01 PM
They should be able to play pro ball whenever they are deemed ready. If they choose not to go to college then the option of the NBDL should be there. The NBA should implement a supplemental draft like the NFL's except it would be for players with no college experience and held AFTER the official draft. This way teams would pass on mediocre talent for the supplemental draft which of course would be limited in number - something like two rounds - 10 players a piece.

All kinds of positives could be derived from this situation including NBA TV having some competitive summer games outside of the summer league. Playing to get a contract - the ultimate reality TV.