PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Davidson

Olympic Fan
06-15-2009, 03:14 PM
A few weeks ago, we were talking about Duke's backcourt situation next year and I mentioned Jordan Davidson as a useful practice player for the 2009-10 Blue Devils. I was told that he has decided to graduate and not use his last year of eligibility.

Today, I was glancing at a copy of the most recent edition of Blue Planet (May 2009). It contains an article by Kenny King, the director of Student Life and Campus Relations for the basketball program, that lists the four 2009 seniors and talks about their future plans (also a pretty cool shot of Paulus, McClure, Pocius and Davidson in cap and gowns in front of the Chapel).

The future plans for each graduate are listed (it's up to date enough to note Paulus' plans to play football at Syracuse next fall). For Davidson, it reads:

"Future Plans: Pursue a graduate Degree at The Fuqua School of Business while playing basketball for the Blue Devils."

Sounds like he's planning to be on the team ...

I'm not saying his return alters the balance of power in the ACC or anything, but anybody who saw Davidson perform in last year's Blue-White game knows that he's a very accomplished walk-on (originally ... I'm pretty sure he'll be on scholarship next season). His presence will make a big difference in practice -- indeed, Coack K's "Scout team" backcourt of Davidson and Seth Curry will be better than some of the backcourts Duke will face during the season. Anybody who has ever played or coached basketball knows how important it is to have good competition in practice.

And with only three recruited guards eligible to play next season, it's nice to have such an experienced player available as a fourth guard option.

I still say that Coach K's decision to redshirt Davidson last season is a pretty good indication of how badly he wants him on the roster next season. His return is a small, but definite plus for the 2009-10 Blue Devils.

jimsumner
06-15-2009, 04:47 PM
OF,

That's good news. Thanks.

I've compared Davidson to Patrick Johnson a few years back. Not only did PJ prove to be an invaluable practice player but K used him in real games, a minute here, a minute there, to absorb fouls and buy some rest for fatigued players.

I expect Davidson to be used the same way.

Bob Green
06-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the update...with only three recruited guards available Davidson will be a nice option off the bench if we suffer an injury or serious foul trouble. As far as the scout team goes, Curry and Davidson could be better than a lot of backcourts we will face next season.

ACCBBallFan
06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Maybe it is not as severe as originally thought, but I had heard a while back that Jordan Davidson was not going to play and was considering having back surgery, if I recall, Pretty sure it was not knees.

miramar
06-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Fuqua has a new, 12-month Master of Management Studies degree that does not require any prior business experience, so perhaps that is what he will be doing. It definitely sounds like a good decision all around.

flyingdutchdevil
06-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Fuqua has a new, 12-month Master of Management Studies degree that does not require any prior business experience, so perhaps that is what he will be doing. It definitely sounds like a good decision all around.

I have no idea, but can non-undergrad students get athletic scholies?

jimsumner
06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, they can.

JasonEvans
06-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I have no idea, but can non-undergrad students get athletic scholies?

Yup. In fact, at Kentucky most of the players are not students.

--Jason "blech-- I am not sure this joke even came close to working" Evans

SilkyJ
06-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Yup. In fact, at Kentucky most of the players are not students.

--Jason "blech-- I am not sure this joke even came close to working" Evans

What do you mean close?! That was spot-on; I laughed outloud!

Great news re: J-Diddy. Pop Quiz: what do Luol and J. Davidson have in common?