PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know Duke football

elviento
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey all,

Two of my friends and I run a college sports blog, which primarily focuses on the University of Houston, where we are all students. Being huge college football nerds, and faced with a summer devoid of collegiate sport, we have decided to do a brief "getting to know" write-up for all 120 D-1A football teams, to expand our college football knowledge. Recently, we got to Duke, and it was my job to write up the Blue Devils. Along those lines, I'd like to know from real Duke fans, did I screw anything up? Did I leave out anything important?, etc.

If you wouldn't mind clicking over (http://scottandholman.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/getting-to-know-san-diego-state-washington-and-duke/), any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-ElViento

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Hey all,

Two of my friends and I run a college sports blog, which primarily focuses on the University of Houston, where we are all students. Being huge college football nerds, and faced with a summer devoid of collegiate sport, we have decided to do a brief "getting to know" write-up for all 120 D-1A football teams, to expand our college football knowledge. Recently, we got to Duke, and it was my job to write up the Blue Devils. Along those lines, I'd like to know from real Duke fans, did I screw anything up? Did I leave out anything important?, etc.

If you wouldn't mind clicking over (http://scottandholman.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/getting-to-know-san-diego-state-washington-and-duke/), any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-ElViento
Just read your write up for Duke. While I would generally give it a good rating despite the somewhat pessimistic tone, there is one serious oversight I must point out. Take a look at the history of Duke football before you say that it's never been successful. Duke still has more conference championships in football than any other ACC team past or present. Duke played twice in the Rose Bowl and hosted it once. In fact, Duke has played in every major bowl. There was a time when Duke was nationally ranked in football and basketball.

In another note, I'd point out that Duke has fared well in hiring coaches from the Alabama coaching tree. The stadium is named for Wallace Wade, the legendary Alabama coach who made Alabama a football power. Coach Wade made Duke into a national football power as well. Our current coach is an Alabama graduate who trained under Bear Bryant.

While the deviation from success on the gridiron could be defined in terms of a generation lost, Duke has a long and proud history in football which has been tainted by a long interval of neglect. Coach Cutcliffe is leading a major shift that is long overdue. I expect more from this season than you predicted, but I admit that my view is biased! As the 2009 season progresses, you might find that you want to see this rise from the ashes yourself. Send me a PM if you are headed to one of our home games. I can help you with local arrangements.

4decadedukie
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
I, too, might suggest that your definition of the word "success" is overly narrow. If success only means wins and losses on the gridiron, then – in recent years – it is difficult to argue with your assessment. However, are we not dealing with “student athletes” (the NCAA insists we are) and, therefore, shouldn’t academic achievement be at least tangentially relevant? The American Football Coaches Association ranks Division I programs by their graduation rates (this certainly seems particularly relevant for student athletes). The AFCA has done so annually since 1981, with Duke winning this award more frequently than any other university (Duke 12, followed by Notre Dame 7, Boston College 5 and Northwestern 5). Further, Duke Football’s graduation rate consistently exceeds 90 percent.

I realize this information is beyond the ostensible intent of your offseason analysis; perhaps, however, it should not be.

CLT Devil
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Was it Richmond that won the NCAA DII Title last year, or maybe it was the year before. We all saw what App State did to MI. Regardless they are a strong team for their division. NC A&T just entered DI, so I think much like in BBall we are playing them to kinda do them a favor and get on the map...as well as being friendly neighbor rivals.

Most of the rest is pretty much on. I'd say Thad should be better, although with no Eron someone will have to step up (Johnny, where are you??). I think close followers of Duke FB have a more optimistic feeling this year (myself included) but it's hard to shake off the past decade.

I would imagine you only went back in your lifetime in doing any research on the program, but like the previous posters here Duke was THE powerhouse for a while. We actually had a defense that was not scored on until the last play of the last game...different times for sure.

Otherwise, hard to argue with the write-up, but I think this could be a big coming out year for the program...and no, I don't say that every year...actually this is the only time I have said it since 1994.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-15-2009, 03:53 PM
After a little more reflection, i'd say that your article overlooked an important aspect of improving or building a program: recruiting. Coach Cutliffe has recruited higher quality recruits from day one. The back up quarterback for next year is a good example of this upward trend. Another way to consider the quality of recruiting is to look at which other schools were interested in our recruits. Duke is now competing more and more with well established, high profile programs. This certainly is another sign of change in the works.

I would also note that you may want to do a little research on Richmond. While they are not assigned to the same "level" in the NCAA as teams in the ACC, they're no patsy either. Perhaps you've read about the success of Appalachian State University and James Madison University.

Please consider heading to Durham for a game in the fall. You won't be disappointed!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Was it Richmond that won the NCAA DII Title last year, or maybe it was the year before. We all saw what App State did to MI. Regardless they are a strong team for their division. NC A&T just entered DI, so I think much like in BBall we are playing them to kinda do them a favor and get on the map...as well as being friendly neighbor rivals.

Most of the rest is pretty much on. I'd say Thad should be better, although with no Eron someone will have to step up (Johnny, where are you??). I think close followers of Duke FB have a more optimistic feeling this year (myself included) but it's hard to shake off the past decade.

I would imagine you only went back in your lifetime in doing any research on the program, but like the previous posters here Duke was THE powerhouse for a while. We actually had a defense that was not scored on until the last play of the last game...different times for sure.

Otherwise, hard to argue with the write-up, but I think this could be a big coming out year for the program...and no, I don't say that every year...actually this is the only time I have said it since 1994.

You said all this better than I did! Great post!

CLT Devil
06-15-2009, 04:32 PM
One other encouraging word; A friend who is very much involved in the FB program had Coach Cut over for dinner not too long ago. Cut said the hardest part about building a program (practically from scratch) at Duke was to get rid of the attitudes that players had...there was no confidence and he said they were pretty much defeated before they ever got on the field. If you've ever heard Cut speak you know how well he can motivate...I really, really hope he is around for a long time.

As far as recruiting, he said the biggest obstacle is not the history of the program, etc, it is just getting recruits to come and visit. Once they get here and see the new weight facility, practice field, campus and most importantly the resumes of the staff they reconsider. It's hard to believe, but we actually have one of the more seasoned coaching staffs in terms of SEC and NFL experience.

This still doesn't have much to do with this year's prediction, so I digress. Just wanted to give one reason I am optimistic for the season, and hopefully many more to come under Cut.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-15-2009, 05:06 PM
One other encouraging word; A friend who is very much involved in the FB program had Coach Cut over for dinner not too long ago. Cut said the hardest part about building a program (practically from scratch) at Duke was to get rid of the attitudes that players had...there was no confidence and he said they were pretty much defeated before they ever got on the field. If you've ever heard Cut speak you know how well he can motivate...I really, really hope he is around for a long time.

As far as recruiting, he said the biggest obstacle is not the history of the program, etc, it is just getting recruits to come and visit. Once they get here and see the new weight facility, practice field, campus and most importantly the resumes of the staff they reconsider. It's hard to believe, but we actually have one of the more seasoned coaching staffs in terms of SEC and NFL experience.

This still doesn't have much to do with this year's prediction, so I digress. Just wanted to give one reason I am optimistic for the season, and hopefully many more to come under Cut.
Actually the quality of the staff who know each other well and know Coach Cutcliffe's program well is a major asset often overlooked. If Coach Middleton told you to do something, wouldn't you do it?

elviento
06-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I apologize for the usage of the word "ever", I should have found a better qualifier. I hope the first sentence didn't take too much away from the analysis of the team as a whole.

I did make brief mention of the recruiting aspect, noting that the ability to bring in the RB Scott could be an indication that recruiting is on the up-swing.

I guess it just kind of goes without saying that Duke athletic teams will be academically impressive. I recently read "Until Proven Innocent" about the Duke lacrosse rape case, and was blown away at what impressive students and citizens the Duke lacrosse players, and Duke athletes as a whole, are. (In addition to being so obviously innocent of the charges levied against them.) It didn't make the preview, but it's certainly hasn't escaped my attention.

I'm aware of the recent success of Richmond, and I understand the logic behind playing NCCU, but I maintain that you probably shouldn't play down a level twice when you only have 12 games. Not only does it look like you're not challenging yourself, it seems illogical, given that Duke figures to be a borderline Bowl team, and you obviously can't count both of those games toward the necessary six for Bowl eligibility. If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to make sure we criticize UNC for the same thing when we get to them.

I'd love to see a game in Durham some day, it likely depends on whether or not the Blue Devils and my Cougars ever schedule one another. I almost made the trip out when I thought UH and Duke were going to face each other in hoops last year. Good thing I didn't, given that we laid a giant egg against Georgia Southern. Ouch.

Good luck this season.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-15-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I apologize for the usage of the word "ever", I should have found a better qualifier. I hope the first sentence didn't take too much away from the analysis of the team as a whole.

I did make brief mention of the recruiting aspect, noting that the ability to bring in the RB Scott could be an indication that recruiting is on the up-swing.

I guess it just kind of goes without saying that Duke athletic teams will be academically impressive. I recently read "Until Proven Innocent" about the Duke lacrosse rape case, and was blown away at what impressive students and citizens the Duke lacrosse players, and Duke athletes as a whole, are. (In addition to being so obviously innocent of the charges levied against them.) It didn't make the preview, but it's certainly hasn't escaped my attention.

I'm aware of the recent success of Richmond, and I understand the logic behind playing NCCU, but I maintain that you probably shouldn't play down a level twice when you only have 12 games. Not only does it look like you're not challenging yourself, it seems illogical, given that Duke figures to be a borderline Bowl team, and you obviously can't count both of those games toward the necessary six for Bowl eligibility. If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to make sure we criticize UNC for the same thing when we get to them.

I'd love to see a game in Durham some day, it likely depends on whether or not the Blue Devils and my Cougars ever schedule one another. I almost made the trip out when I thought UH and Duke were going to face each other in hoops last year. Good thing I didn't, given that we laid a giant egg against Georgia Southern. Ouch.

Good luck this season.
Thanks for the link and for the opportunity to give some feedback. As you may infer from the comments made in this thread, there is a lot of love for all sorts of things which Duke encompasses. The invitations are genuine. We have great times on game days!

FYI I used to visit friends who lived first in Missouri City and later Alvin. I have many good memories of my visits to Texas including tickets on the forty for a Texas - Arkansas game in Austin..... for my birthday.

4decadedukie
06-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Good luck this season.

I, too, appreciate your professionalism and the opportuntiy to provide feedback; thank you and nice work.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-16-2009, 09:07 AM

Good luck this season.
Calling Duke a borderline bowl team here is certainly more optimistic than your review read :) but certainly is a realistic prognosis. While close only counts horse shoes and hand grenades, with another year under Coach Cut's tutelage we should be able to win several of those oh so close games this year. Heck, we could/should have won 5 games 3 years ago under Franks when we won only once. Your criticism of playing 2 Div. 1AA games has been discussed here at length when the schedule first came out. We'll have to win 7 to have 6 qualifying wins. Of course, I'm already on record as predicting a 14 - 0 record and National Championship for us in 2009/10 - see my signature below. :eek::eek:

I find it interesting that you came to The Duke Basketball Report to get your feedback on the football team! But thanks for asking and the link.

elviento
06-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Calling Duke a borderline bowl team here is certainly more optimistic than your review read :) but certainly is a realistic prognosis.
I predicted five wins. That's only a couple of breaks away from bowl eligibility. :)