PDA

View Full Version : Smithfield golfers finish 1, 2 in NC Am

OZZIE4DUKE
06-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Congratulations to Mark McMillian for winning and Derek Wallace for finishing second in the NC Amateur golf tourney this past weekend! :D
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/ncsu/story/1569320.html
Mark and Derek are both currently college golfers (they play for NC State and unc-Wilmington, respectively) whom I've known for years as they've "grown up" in Smithfield, and played with on occasion at my club. They are fine young men who represent the area well and I am very proud of them both! Derek's dad Mike is a big Duke fan (bad joke - Mike is about 6'3" and is pushing 300 lbs, although I'm not sure which side he is pushing from :) ). They both live on the same street as PGA pro Neal Lancaster, and one good sand wedge will fly over all three of their houses. BTW, Neal missed the cut by one shot on Friday at the St. Jude Classic, as he's trying to hang on to his career, waiting for the senior tour (in about 5 years).

After playing on Saturday, I went to the club pool and Derek and his dad were lounging at the pool doing the same thing I was - cooling off! I also listened to their strategy session for Sunday, where they were talking about what he had to shoot and where (what holes) the birdies were on to win, and it turned out that Mark followed almost that exact plan, even though he wasn't there. Derek had the low round of the day on Saturday, putting himself back into contention, and tied with Mark.

Did I mention that I'm proud of these kids! :cool: