PDA

View Full Version : C.J. Leslie

AtlDuke72
06-12-2009, 04:57 PM
This kid may be a great player , but I am glad that Duke is not a part of the fiasco that is about to begin. The trick seems to be to be the last recruit still out there and then see how much attention you can get. Worked for his teammate.

yancem
06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
This kid may be a great player , but I am glad that Duke is not a part of the fiasco that is about to begin. The trick seems to be to be the last recruit still out there and then see how much attention you can get. Worked for his teammate.

Is this opinion based on something or is it mere speculation? What has he done to garner your ire?

m g
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM

What are you talking about? You do realize that Leslie is a 2010 prospect and therefore won't be in college next year, right?

jimsumner
06-12-2009, 07:33 PM
C'mon guys. If we're going to have a thread on every top prospect that Duke isn't recruiting, we can't linger too long on any specific one. Need to move along.

AtlDuke72
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Is this opinion based on something or is it mere speculation? What has he done to garner your ire?

Sorry I don't have the link but you need to read the interview I saw linked on IC in which he was hoping to have the same experience as John Wall. He is quoted as saing that every team in the ACC is interested except Duke. Fine with me. It bothers me when someone "commits" and then walks away.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Sorry I don't have the link but you need to read the interview I saw linked on IC in which he was hoping to have the same experience as John Wall. He is quoted as saing that every team in the ACC is interested except Duke. Fine with me. It bothers me when someone "commits" and then walks away.

Good, I am glad we're not selling out to get a ball player. I would rather stick with the 3 players we have now than go after him. Way to go staff!

eightyearoldsdude
06-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Good, I am glad we're not selling out to get a ball player. I would rather stick with the 3 players we have now than go after him. Way to go staff!

Were you happy that Duke recruited Wall?

whereinthehellami
06-15-2009, 01:25 PM
I can't believe UNC is interested. They are loaded in the frontcourt and there is some smoke surrounding his recruitment.

eightyearoldsdude
06-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I can't believe UNC is interested. They are loaded in the frontcourt and there is some smoke surrounding his recruitment.

I think that if Leslie wound up at UNC, he'd be playing the 3 exclusively. He's kind of a tweener, but he'll definitely be an NBA 3. Does anyone have anything definite about off-the-court problems, or is this just vague hearsay?

Duke79UNLV77
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
But just to show I wasn't basing my comment on nothing, this is what one scout said of Leslie:

"I've been watching high school basketball for a long time, and one thing you get used to is seeing kids be selfish sometimes. AAU ball sometimes is not the place to try and see kids commit themselves to playing team basketball, but I would have to say that CJ Leslie, hands down is THE MOST SELFISH player I have EVER seen in a high school game. I watched two of his games and I can promise you that NOT ONCE did he run back hard on defense after missing an open layup or turning the ball over. When the ball went to him, whether it be on the perimeter or down low, he was the proverbial black hole, and he would overdribble and he would take countless contested shots, even when he had teammates who were WIDE OPEN on the perimeter. What's worse, he exhibited one of the WORST attitudes I have EVER seen towards his teammates, his coaches and the referees. He acted, played and sounded like a thug in every sense of the word, and as a person, to the other guys on the court, he was downright disrespectful, rude, condescending, and arrogant. Watching this kid act like a punk, there is NO WAY Duke will ever take a look at that kid, he's nothing more than a selfish kid who is going to tear a team apart, unless of course there's a group of guys on the team who are just like him. I hope you guys see how strongly my words are on this kid, he's a team cancer in every sense of the word and if I were a coach, I would NEVER want this kid on my team."

He also was suspended this year (for damaging property of another school, I believe it was Dudley's Locker-room. Although there is no article that I could find to link to it). Again though, I don't know the specifics but, I imagine if this information is true, that is most likely the reason Coach K is not recruiting him.

eightyearoldsdude
06-15-2009, 05:23 PM
But just to show I wasn't basing my comment on nothing, this is what one scout said of Leslie:

"I've been watching high school basketball for a long time, and one thing you get used to is seeing kids be selfish sometimes. AAU ball sometimes is not the place to try and see kids commit themselves to playing team basketball, but I would have to say that CJ Leslie, hands down is THE MOST SELFISH player I have EVER seen in a high school game. I watched two of his games and I can promise you that NOT ONCE did he run back hard on defense after missing an open layup or turning the ball over. When the ball went to him, whether it be on the perimeter or down low, he was the proverbial black hole, and he would overdribble and he would take countless contested shots, even when he had teammates who were WIDE OPEN on the perimeter. What's worse, he exhibited one of the WORST attitudes I have EVER seen towards his teammates, his coaches and the referees. He acted, played and sounded like a thug in every sense of the word, and as a person, to the other guys on the court, he was downright disrespectful, rude, condescending, and arrogant. Watching this kid act like a punk, there is NO WAY Duke will ever take a look at that kid, he's nothing more than a selfish kid who is going to tear a team apart, unless of course there's a group of guys on the team who are just like him. I hope you guys see how strongly my words are on this kid, he's a team cancer in every sense of the word and if I were a coach, I would NEVER want this kid on my team."

He also was suspended this year (for damaging property of another school, I believe it was Dudley's Locker-room. Although there is no article that I could find to link to it). Again though, I don't know the specifics but, I imagine if this information is true, that is most likely the reason Coach K is not recruiting him.

Was this written before or after UNC got involved with Leslie? Just kidding.

From what I've seen on youtube, the kid has insane athleticism, and a heapin' helpin' of 'tude. But then, I root for Rasheed Wallace's alma mater, so I don't necessarily have a problem with swagga.

A big part of coaching is getting kids to do what they could not or would not ordinarily do. This is one of the biggest benefits (for players) of college, IMO, because college coaches have so much more power over them. In the league, the players can fire the coach. In college, the players are virtually powerless once they sign on the dotted line.

Because of this, I have plenty of faith (and it's mostly faith, since I have little to no evidence) that Roy could guide young CJ into more productive outlets for his emotions. We'll see.