PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Michigan series to resume

Ann Arbor Devil
04-17-2007, 07:38 PM
With TA gone, looks like the Duke vs. Michigan hoops series may resume. Great news for us Devils fans here in Ann Arbor.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070417/SPORTS06/70417045/1054

The Duke win in Cameron in 92-93 season over the Fab Five remains one of the more underappreciated regular season wins of the K era, IMHO. It was so nice to stick it to that overconfident bunch.

There was a fair bit of media coverage here on the 15 year anniversary of the Fab 5...it amazes me how unapologetic Webber et al still are about the disgrace and penalties they brought to their program. They seem legitimately puzzled about why the U doesn't welcome them back with open arms.

kydevil
04-17-2007, 11:08 PM
With TA gone, looks like the Duke vs. Michigan hoops series may resume. Great news for us Devils fans here in Ann Arbor.

The Duke win in Cameron in 92-93 season over the Fab Five remains one of the more underappreciated regular season wins of the K era, IMHO. It was so nice to stick it to that overconfident bunch.

There was a fair bit of media coverage here on the 15 year anniversary of the Fab 5...it amazes me how unapologetic Webber et al still are about the disgrace and penalties they brought to their program. They seem legitimately puzzled about why the U doesn't welcome them back with open arms.

Im surprised Coach K and TA didnt get this going... but hey Beilein and K are buds. Maybe K can get some lessons on playing zone d :rolleyes:

JBDuke
04-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Im surprised Coach K and TA didnt get this going... but hey Beilein and K are buds. Maybe K can get some lessons on playing zone d :rolleyes:

They cancelled it after one game, IIRC. I think Coach K said something like it was too painful to go against someone he was as close to as Tommy.

It's one thing if it's Fairfield and O'Toole for an early season blowout. It's another if it's Michigan and Tommy in a competitive, intense environment.

With Tommy now coaching an Ivy, we might see them back in Cameron. We'll see.

devildownunder
04-18-2007, 09:20 AM

I sure hope michigan gets its program in gear again, so that it's worthwhile for all involved.

JasonEvans
04-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I sure hope michigan gets its program in gear again, so that it's worthwhile for all involved.

Exactly. I think we all would like to see Duke playing some real stud non-conference opponents each season. It is nice (for our RPI and for other reasons) that we play some of the better mid-majors every year and I imagine one of them will bite us in the butt someday, but I think many Duke fans would like to see us pick up at least one game against one of the other powerbrokers in college ball today (Arizona, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Florida, UConn, someone like that).

Is our series with Georgetown still on next season? I hope so.

-Jason "when does this godawful series with St. John's end?" Evans

ACCBBallFan
04-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Though it would not help the RPI, I coul see K giving Harvard a home game to help Amaker garner some interest in Harvard basketball some year when Duke was playing @ BC early in the season and wanted a tune up before that game.

CMS2478
04-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't really understand all the excitement over the Michigan series. I agree with Jason Evans and think we should try to get a big-time school in a home and home. Unless we are playing them in football, that is not big news in my book. :o

kydevil
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Exactly. I think we all would like to see Duke playing some real stud non-conference opponents each season. It is nice (for our RPI and for other reasons) that we play some of the better mid-majors every year and I imagine one of them will bite us in the butt someday, but I think many Duke fans would like to see us pick up at least one game against one of the other powerbrokers in college ball today (Arizona, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Florida, UConn, someone like that).

Well I don't know about the G-town series, but K signed a 4 yr deal with St. Johns that started with the last game we played with them. So I believe that we will have at least 3 more games with them...... :mad:
Coach K said this about the series "St. John's presents a unique challenge because many of the players are from the city. They're strong-willed and strong-handed. They're athletic and tough." I don't know if I agree with the strong-willed and strong-handed, but if K believes it is helpful then so be it.

Jumbo
04-18-2007, 09:53 AM
I don't really understand all the excitement over the Michigan series. I agree with Jason Evans and think we should try to get a big-time school in a home and home. Unless we are playing them in football, that is not big news in my book. :o

Michigan is a sleeping power. They've got a great freshman class coming in and I have faither that Beilein will turn things around quickly. Since this is a series, there's no reason to think Michigan won't be back on its old level in a couple of years. That's called foresight -- the same as starting a series with Georgetown that was bashed originally, and is now regularly Duke's toughest non-con series.

captmojo
04-18-2007, 09:55 AM
Who among you would like to have seen TA take over the women's program at his alma mater?

CMS2478
04-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Michigan is a sleeping power. They've got a great freshman class coming in and I have faither that Beilein will turn things around quickly. Since this is a series, there's no reason to think Michigan won't be back on its old level in a couple of years. That's called foresight -- the same as starting a series with Georgetown that was bashed originally, and is now regularly Duke's toughest non-con series.

I hope your right bc I don't want another St. John's type series. Michigan may turn it around but I would still prefer the likes of Kansas, UCLA, Uconn, etc. :D

kydevil
04-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Who else would love to see a series between us and Uk??? Living right outside of Lexington I constantly have to here the smack talk of how they are the better program and so on... why not stir up the rivalry????

pfrduke
04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
Michigan is a sleeping power. They've got a great freshman class coming in ...

Their recruiting class goes from great to above average if Alex Legion doesn't recommit. He asked out of his LOI (http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=664355) earlier this week, and his request was granted, but I've got to imagine that Beilein is still recruiting him hard.

devildownunder
04-18-2007, 10:58 AM

All right, simple yes or no question here Jumbo, do you think Duke believed Georgetown would be a final four team again when that series began 3 or 4 years ago?

devildownunder
04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Who else would love to see a series between us and Uk??? Living right outside of Lexington I constantly have to here the smack talk of how they are the better program and so on... why not stir up the rivalry????

around 2002 i was talking this up quite a bit, in response I often heard people say that they didn't want to see the two schools play every year because then it wouldn't be as "special."

Anyway, Kentucky would be great. Now that would give us something to look forward to each year. I can't see it happening if the unc-uk series is still on but I can't remember whether it is or not.

devildownunder
04-18-2007, 11:12 AM

I'm pretty sure the gtown series is back on for next year (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Jason, as you probably already know, I'm a big proponent of us toughening up our schedule. You couldn't be more right about the rpi benefits of our current mid-major-at-CIS-heavy schedule. It is the perfect way for a power broker like K to work the system to his advantage in that regard; however, It does very little for us in terms of preparation, IMO.

Most of the schools you have mentioned as possibilities for us come up from time to time. Note that we have scheduled all of them in the past but have been far less adventurous of late.

I keep hearing that ucla wants no part of us because we sign too many california players these days. I don't think k and calhoun get along well enough for uconn and duke to happen. We used to play arizona quite a bit and from what i have heard (just hearsay) lute tried for a number of years to get K back onto the court against him -- even goading him by calling him chicken at one point. apparently, K just isn't interested, perhaps because of lute's recruiting success in new york? (note, i have a friend who is a wildcat alum and a big fan who can't confirm this, so take it with a huge grain of salt).

Anyway, that leaves Kansas, Kentucky and Florida. I would love to see us go after the gators. Donovan is feeling pretty dang strong these days, so I doubt he'd see a downside to taking on the program I'm sure HE FEELS he has supplanted at the summit of college basketball. It would be great for us because for once we could be the hunted again. That'd be nice.