PDA

View Full Version : Jason's reviews-- The Hangover and Pelham 123

JasonEvans
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I was on the radio this morning (http://multimedia.790thezone.com/m/22483596/jason-evans-movie-review.htm) to talk about these two filcks. Thought you all might enjoy listening to it.

I'll have more later.

--Jason

Duke4Ever32
06-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Alright - that settles it. I'm rounding everyone up to go see "The Hangover" this weekend!!

JasonEvans
06-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Alright - that settles it. I'm rounding everyone up to go see "The Hangover" this weekend!!

Raunchy at times, but most certainly worth it. Everyone I know who has seen it loved it, including somewhat prudish women in their 60s.

--Jason "have you seen the boxoffice numbers it did Mon-Thu this week? Insane numbers for an R-rated comedy" Evans

JasonEvans
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
By the way, toward the back half of the interview I talk a little bit about the rankings of the Pixar films. I almost mentioned, "I have been talking about this with my friends on the DBR..." but the hosts would have had no freaking idea what I was talking about ;)

--Jason "DBR Off-Topic board... almost famous!" Evans

snowdenscold
06-13-2009, 12:45 AM
By the way, toward the back half of the interview I talk a little bit about the rankings of the Pixar films. I almost mentioned, "I have been talking about this with my friends on the DBR..." but the hosts would have had no freaking idea what I was talking about ;)

Yeah I definitely caught that :)

Lord Ash
06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Hm, you know, I didn't love The Hangover. I only laughed once or twice the whole film; otherwise I sat there with an amused look on my face, but that's it. It was funny, I suppose, but to me fell behind a rash of funny films from the last few years, including 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, Pineapple Express, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man, and a few others. I understand I am in the minority here, but I found it a bit predictable (strange to say for that film,) thought the "mysteries" weren't all that mysterious, and the Tyson cameo did nothing for me.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Yeah I definitely caught that :)
Yeah, I heard that too! :cool:

bjornolf
06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm having trouble getting it to work on my crappy laptop. Is there any way somebody could give me a summation of Jason's opinion on the two movies? Thanks.

77devil
06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
The new version of Pelham may be competent as Jason decribes but the original is a very good movie with an excellent cast, a good script and tight direction. I watched the original on TV last night and had forgotten how well made it was. Oh, and there is a Jerry Stiller, father of Ben, in a somewhat dramatic role.

I can't imagine that John Travolta and Denzel Washington come close to matching the performances of their predecessors, Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau. I definitely will skip the remake.

johaad
06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
I was extremely surprised with how much I loved the Hangover. Ed Helms singing a piano medley was amazing (Helms is Andy Bernard on The Office). To me, this movie has a different feel from other recent comedies like 40 Year Old Virgin and Anchorman. It feels more like Pineapple Express without the stoner comedy. But if you were debating about seeing this one or not, go for it. Helms was great, and the guy that played Doug's brother-in-law was even funnier.

"I'm gonna find my best friend Doug and then I'm gonna give him a best friend hug"

-Stu's Song- by Ed Helms

JasonEvans
06-15-2009, 06:37 PM
The new version of Pelham may be competent as Jason decribes but the original is a very good movie with an excellent cast, a good script and tight direction. I watched the original on TV last night and had forgotten how well made it was. Oh, and there is a Jerry Stiller, father of Ben, in a somewhat dramatic role.

I can't imagine that John Travolta and Denzel Washington come close to matching the performances of their predecessors, Robert Shaw and Walter Matthau. I definitely will skip the remake.

The radio guys did not want to talk very much about Pelham, so I did not get a chance to get into the comparison with the original but this version is nowhere near as good as the first one. It ain't even close.

This is an ok thriller, though nothing about it surprises you. Every single thing is telegraphed and obvious and not all that intelligent. There is some decent tension, but nothing special. The performances are quite ordinary, even Denzel. John Travolta has become almost a cartoon and this will make something like 8 or 10 films in a row that he has been in that are either disappointing or just ordinary. He has not done anything noteworthy since (checks IMDB) Primary Colors or Face/Off in the late 1990s. Yikes!!

--Jason "it is just ok... 2.5 out of 5 stars" Evans

johaad
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
The radio guys did not want to talk very much about Pelham, so I did not get a chance to get into the comparison with the original but this version is nowhere near as good as the first one. It ain't even close.

This is an ok thriller, though nothing about it surprises you. Every single thing is telegraphed and obvious and not all that intelligent. There is some decent tension, but nothing special. The performances are quite ordinary, even Denzel. John Travolta has become almost a cartoon and this will make something like 8 or 10 films in a row that he has been in that are either disappointing or just ordinary. He has not done anything noteworthy since (checks IMDB) Primary Colors or Face/Off in the late 1990s. Yikes!!

--Jason "it is just ok... 2.5 out of 5 stars" Evans

It's funny you say that about Travolta (I agree by the way), but I have had the exact same feeling about Denzel Washington as of late. I can't think of a movie that he has made that has been very good or better lately. He just always plays the same type of character (except Training Day). If this movie had been released 5 years ago, I'd want to go see it. But because we have been bombarded with medocrity from Washington as of late, this one will never make it into my collection (and I even have Dirty Work).

JasonEvans
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
It's funny you say that about Travolta (I agree by the way), but I have had the exact same feeling about Denzel Washington as of late. I can't think of a movie that he has made that has been very good or better lately. He just always plays the same type of character (except Training Day). If this movie had been released 5 years ago, I'd want to go see it. But because we have been bombarded with medocrity from Washington as of late, this one will never make it into my collection (and I even have Dirty Work).

Dissent. He is not cranking out stuff as good as the trio at the start of the list I am about to submit, but he has produced some fine work and some quality movies lately.

Here are Denzel's past dozen films--

The Hurricane (1999) - Won a Best Actor Golden Globe, Oscar Nomination. Brilliant performance. Nuf said.
Remember the Titans (2000) - He was fabulous in one of the better sports movies of the decade.
Training Day (2000) - Wow. His best performance since Glory and X. Won Best Actor Oscar.
John Q (2001) - So-so. His acting was the best part in what was otherwise a somewhat convoluted movie.
Antwan Fisher (2002) - His first time as a director so his acting may have suffered a bit. A good film, but not something truly special.
Out of Time (2003) - Felt like he was phoning it in for the paycheck. One of the worst films in Denzel's impressive catalog of work.
Man on Fire (2004) - Teams with Tony Scott (a pairing that has proved to be a bad idea) in a movie that just tries too hard to be important.
The Manchurian Candidate (2004) - Remake was a bad idea though the movie was decent. Still, at this point I started to wonder if Denzel was losing it.
Inside Man (2006) - Spike Lee saves Denzel! A fabulous caper flick and Denzel is strong among an all-star cast.
Deja Vu (2006) - Ummm, cashing a paycheck again Denzel? Not a terrible movie, but not Denzel's usual quality. I wonder if maybe Inside Man was an aberration and Denzel has lost it.
American Gangster (2007) - Nope, Denzel is back! A high quality flick and his acting carries it. Gets Golden Globe and SAG nominations and is on the short list for Best Actor Oscar but misses a nomination.
Great Debaters (2007) - Takes a smaller role again as he goes into the Director's chair for the second time in his career. His acting is strong and the movie is quite powerful. Wins some awards, though not any of the big ones.

I think Pelham is better than the lower-tier stuff on this list-- it falls right in the middle, better than Deja Vu and Manchurian Candidate by a bit, but not as good as Inside Man.

He's done some really strong stuff recently, especially Inside Man and Gangster. Yes, he still seems to make some strange and questionable choices with some films. I bet he will continue to do that.

For example, he has a flick coming out next year in which Chris Pine (Capt. Kirk) is his co-star about a runaway train carrying poisonous chemicals threatening to destroy a city. It is directed by Tony Scott. I'll be shocked if it is really good. On the other hand, he and Spike and Clive Owen are working on Inside Man 2, also for 2010. I bet it rocks!!

--Jason "Denzel is miles ahead of Travolta in terms of quality pictures... nto even close" Evans

bjornolf
06-16-2009, 09:06 AM
John Travolta has become almost a cartoon and this will make something like 8 or 10 films in a row that he has been in that are either disappointing or just ordinary. He has not done anything noteworthy since (checks IMDB) Primary Colors or Face/Off in the late 1990s. Yikes!!

I generally agree with you, but I must admit that I enjoyed Be Cool, though not as much as I liked Get Shorty. I also liked him in Hairspray, which my wife made me see with her.

johaad
06-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Dissent. He is not cranking out stuff as good as the trio at the start of the list I am about to submit, but he has produced some fine work and some quality movies lately.

Here are Denzel's past dozen films--

The Hurricane (1999) - Won a Best Actor Golden Globe, Oscar Nomination. Brilliant performance. Nuf said.
Remember the Titans (2000) - He was fabulous in one of the better sports movies of the decade.
Training Day (2000) - Wow. His best performance since Glory and X. Won Best Actor Oscar.
John Q (2001) - So-so. His acting was the best part in what was otherwise a somewhat convoluted movie.
Antwan Fisher (2002) - His first time as a director so his acting may have suffered a bit. A good film, but not something truly special.
Out of Time (2003) - Felt like he was phoning it in for the paycheck. One of the worst films in Denzel's impressive catalog of work.
Man on Fire (2004) - Teams with Tony Scott (a pairing that has proved to be a bad idea) in a movie that just tries too hard to be important.
The Manchurian Candidate (2004) - Remake was a bad idea though the movie was decent. Still, at this point I started to wonder if Denzel was losing it.
Inside Man (2006) - Spike Lee saves Denzel! A fabulous caper flick and Denzel is strong among an all-star cast.
Deja Vu (2006) - Ummm, cashing a paycheck again Denzel? Not a terrible movie, but not Denzel's usual quality. I wonder if maybe Inside Man was an aberration and Denzel has lost it.
American Gangster (2007) - Nope, Denzel is back! A high quality flick and his acting carries it. Gets Golden Globe and SAG nominations and is on the short list for Best Actor Oscar but misses a nomination.
Great Debaters (2007) - Takes a smaller role again as he goes into the Director's chair for the second time in his career. His acting is strong and the movie is quite powerful. Wins some awards, though not any of the big ones.

I think Pelham is better than the lower-tier stuff on this list-- it falls right in the middle, better than Deja Vu and Manchurian Candidate by a bit, but not as good as Inside Man.

He's done some really strong stuff recently, especially Inside Man and Gangster. Yes, he still seems to make some strange and questionable choices with some films. I bet he will continue to do that.

For example, he has a flick coming out next year in which Chris Pine (Capt. Kirk) is his co-star about a runaway train carrying poisonous chemicals threatening to destroy a city. It is directed by Tony Scott. I'll be shocked if it is really good. On the other hand, he and Spike and Clive Owen are working on Inside Man 2, also for 2010. I bet it rocks!!

--Jason "Denzel is miles ahead of Travolta in terms of quality pictures... nto even close" Evans

You know what, you're right. I now even realize that I own a few of his recent films. I think I am just focusing on the really bad ones (for whatever reason). Inside Man was very good. The Great Debaters was good as well. Of course, Remember the Titans was one of my favorites out of all of these. And I do agree with you that Denzel is ahead of Travolta. I still say that his characters don't usually change much from film to film (recently). Either way, I feel I was a little harsh on Washington in my first post. I feel bad, so I will pay my 7.50 for the ticket and see this movie as punishment (and maybe I'll like it).

bjornolf
06-17-2009, 09:19 AM
If the movie companies were willing to drive dump trucks full of money up to my house to keep playing the same character, I'd be pretty tempted too. ;) He's a great actor. He'll break out of it when he gets tired of it.

Stray Gator
06-17-2009, 09:55 AM

I beg to differ--at least for the most part. The original was very good, but I liked the new version even better. While I agree that Shaw surpassed Travolta by a huge margin in the role of Ryder--let's face it, John Travolta isn't near being in the same league with Robert Shaw--I thought Washington was just that much better than Matthau in the role of Garber. Matthau was, IMO, far too "cool and detached and quippy"--it seemed to me that he was terribly miscast and played the part for comedic effect, never conveying any believeable sense of real urgency or stress or tension. I also liked the added subplot/backstory in the new version about the reason why Garber was temporarily demoted to traffic controller, though I was less enamored of the change in Garber's involvement with the delivery of the ransom money and the ending of the movie. One thing that torpedoed the original movie for me, I must admit, was the ridiculously over-the-top portrayal of the "whiny, sniffling, bedridden-with-a-cold" mayor; Gandolfini actually transformed that part into something that enhanced the movie. In sum, if you could somehow replace Travolta with Shaw, and substitute the last 15 minutes of the original script, I think the new version would be a terrific movie. :D

SupaDave
06-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Hm, you know, I didn't love The Hangover. I only laughed once or twice the whole film; otherwise I sat there with an amused look on my face, but that's it. It was funny, I suppose, but to me fell behind a rash of funny films from the last few years, including 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad, Pineapple Express, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I Love You Man, and a few others. I understand I am in the minority here, but I found it a bit predictable (strange to say for that film,) thought the "mysteries" weren't all that mysterious, and the Tyson cameo did nothing for me.

Have you ever been to Vegas?

SupaDave
06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
The Hangover:

"You mean that wasn't X? Damn, I musta gave yall the wrong bag"

"Do you really have to park so close to this school?"

johaad
06-18-2009, 09:13 PM
The Hangover:

"You mean that wasn't X? Damn, I musta gave yall the wrong bag"

"Do you really have to park so close to this school?"

Awesome. "What does a tiger dream of..." (easily my favorite part of the movie).