PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Rumors (unconfirmed)

texdevil22
06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
This is probably much ado about nothing, and I certainly don't mean to cause panic, but I heard on the Ticket in Dallas this morning that many in the Cleveland front office want to jettison Mike Brown. Danny Ferry appears to be supporting Brown, while the owner wants to make a change. The names mentioned as possible replacements? Pat Riley and Coach K.

I don't think K would go to Cleveland or anywhere else for that matter. I feel like we've been down this road with Philly in 92/93 and the Lakers in 04.

But the opportunity to coach Lebron with a championship caliber roster has to at least be intriguing.

Again, I doubt this is anything, but I mention it for what it's worth.

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty sure K is at Duke until he retires from coaching. To turn down the Lakers with the team they had then and the money they offered, you can't say "I'm at Duke for life" much better than that. Still an interesting thought whenever the opportunity comes his way.

MulletMan
06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Yeah... all these rumors about Cleveland and a coaching change with Riley, K, etc. came from some NY Daily News columnists blog. My guess is he was just trying to stir things up.

I love the interwebs, where stupid ideas become "fact" so fast it makes the mind boggle!

JasonEvans
06-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Seeing as Lebron James can become a free agent at the end of next season, I don't think Coach K or any other mega-high profile coach would go to Cleveland without some assurances that King James would be sticking around.

While the owner may want a new coach and Danny Ferry may want to stick with Brown, the person who will make the final decision will be Bron-bron. for the next 12 months, everything that happens in Cleveland will be all about making sure that Lebron is happy.

Now, it is possible that Lebron may really want K as his coach. Thney worked together quite successfully at the Olympics. If Lebron wants him, that would be a powerful incentive to Cleveland management to make K an unheardof offer.

Think about what Lebron is worth to the franchise to keep him. Increased attendance, concession/merchandise sales, a NBA title contender every year, TV appearances, goodwill in the community. Cleveland is a pretty darn worthless franchise without Lebron. So, what is the figure that you put on James' worth to the franchise? $25 million a year? $50 million?

So, if you made K an insane offer, like $12 or 15 million a year, would it be insane?

-Jason "what is the most any pro coach is paid?" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
06-11-2009, 12:52 PM
According to the team, Brown will return as their coach.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4250816

weezie
06-11-2009, 02:15 PM
The idea of turning down the bright lights of LA for the, hmmmmm, "charms" of Cleveland in January, seems pretty audacious anyway.

MulletMan
06-11-2009, 02:21 PM
The idea of turning down the bright lights of LA for the, hmmmmm, "charms" of Cleveland in January, seems pretty audacious anyway.

Yeah... I'm sure that someone who grew up in Chicago would have trouble with Cleveland winters.

hurleyfor3
06-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't think K would go to Cleveland or anywhere else for that matter. I feel like we've been down this road with Philly in 92/93 and the Lakers in 04.

And the Celtics in 1990. And the pistons after Daly retired. I guess this has to happen every few years, and the last time was with the Lakers, so we were overdue. Kind of like Kentucky getting in trouble, or Kennedys dying.

Duvall
06-11-2009, 02:31 PM
And the Celtics in 1990. And the pistons after Daly retired.

And the Trailblazers in 1994, as I recall.

gotham devil
06-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah... I'm sure that someone who grew up in Chicago would have trouble with Cleveland winters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

JasonEvans
06-11-2009, 02:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

"We're not Detroit!"

That is just awesome!

--Jason

BD80
06-11-2009, 03:19 PM
HEY!! (That's frickin funny) but ... Hey! Cheap shot!

You just might be from Cleveland if you are 50 years old and can't remember a local team winning a championship.

Mike Corey
06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
This Cleveland video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&NR=1) is even better (by the same guy).

Acymetric
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
This Cleveland video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY&NR=1) is even better (by the same guy).

Agreed, the first one was better (though I do like the "we're not Detroit" bit in part 2...no offense to any Detroit residents here.

Like most people said, I would be pretty surprised to see Coach K leave Duke for Cleveland after turning down Kobe and the Lakers. It WILL be interesting to see what Cleveland does in the next year to make Lebron happy...improvements in personnel perhaps?

Devilsfan
06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
LA will be looking for someone to replace Zen Phil and keep Kobe home when he (Kobe) becomes a free agent. Maybe Patino holds out for that job.

sagegrouse
06-11-2009, 08:32 PM
HEY!! (That's frickin funny) but ... Hey! Cheap shot!

You just might be from Cleveland if you are 50 years old and can't remember a local team winning a championship.

Actually, my dear sir, I was in graduate school at Rice with Frank Ryan, the quarterback of the NFL champion Cleveland Browns, who received a PhD in math and later was a prof at Case in Cleveland. And BTW (sniff, sniff), that was only in 1964, which is 45 years.

sagegrouse

Hancock 4 Duke
06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
I was watching the Lakers game, and across the bottom, it said something like "Coach Brown will be the head coach of Cleveland next Year" a source told ESPN"

MChambers
06-12-2009, 08:12 AM
I was watching the Lakers game, and across the bottom, it said something like "Coach Brown will be the head coach of Cleveland next Year" a source told ESPN"

Suitcase Larry Brown to Cleveland? ;)

Indoor66
06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
Suitcase Larry Brown to Cleveland? ;)

I believe that is Mike Brown, the present Cleveland coach, not Larry Brown, the present Charlotte coach.

MChambers
06-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I believe that is Mike Brown, the present Cleveland coach, not Larry Brown, the present Charlotte coach.

Sorry, my tongue was in my cheek, but that is not easy to convey in this media.:)

CDu
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
Actually, my dear sir, I was in graduate school at Rice with Frank Ryan, the quarterback of the NFL champion Cleveland Browns, who received a PhD in math and later was a prof at Case in Cleveland. And BTW (sniff, sniff), that was only in 1964, which is 45 years.

sagegrouse

Technically, the statement was "if you are 50 years old and can't remember a local team winning a championship." There's a lot I don't remember from when I was 5 years old...

weezie
06-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Indeed. :) Especially after having lived all these years in Durham, which is a pretty nice place to spend Jan, Feb and March.
At least Chitown has hockey!

Indoor66
06-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Indeed. :) Especially after having lived all these years in Durham, which is a pretty nice place to spend Jan, Feb and March.
At least Chitown has hockey!

Doesn't the Triangle have the Hurricanes at RBC Center?

Clipsfan
06-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Think about what Lebron is worth to the franchise to keep him. Increased attendance, concession/merchandise sales, a NBA title contender every year, TV appearances, goodwill in the community. Cleveland is a pretty darn worthless franchise without Lebron. So, what is the figure that you put on James' worth to the franchise? $25 million a year? $50 million?

So, if you made K an insane offer, like $12 or 15 million a year, would it be insane?

-Jason "what is the most any pro coach is paid?" Evans

I think that Phil Jackson gets $10-12 million per year. I remember it being about $31 for 3 years, as that was ridiculous at the time.