PDA

View Full Version : CWS - Virginia vs. LSU

gw67
06-10-2009, 07:06 PM
I love college basketball but I played and coached baseball for several years and still enjoy the sport; particularly, the college world series (CWS) played in Omaha. This weekend the CWS starts and one of the first round games involves Virginia versus LSU. This is a fascinating matchup for several reasons. First, the Cavaliers are primarily a sophomore/freshmen team that won the ACC tournament, came through the toughest regional defeating the no. 1 pick in the draft as well as the top rated team in the NCAA tourney to get to the super regional where they defeated a higher ranked team, Mississippi, in front of a wild home crowd in Oxford. No one who followed college baseball predicted that they would come this far this fast. The Cavs are coached by Brian O'Conner who grew up in Omaha, attended the CWS as a youngster with his dad, played in the CWS as a pitcher for Creighton, and coached in the CWS as an assistant coach for Notre Dame. I met O'Conner a couple of times when he was recruiting for Notre Dame and while traveling Fridays and Sundays to and from South Bend over an extended period several years ago. It was clear that he had the potential to be a terrific head coach some day (bright, articulate, easy going manner and a very deep knowledge of baseball).

Another interesting part of the matchup is that LSU is trying to get back to where it once was - the top team in college baseball. Their head coach during the glory years, Skip Bertmann, hired a top coach a couple of years ago, Paul Mainieri (sp?), from Notre Dame. Mainieri was very successful at Notre Dame and was O'Conner's boss at ND. I generally got the same seat on the flights to and from South Bend/Pittsburgh and sat next to Mainieri three or four times. He loved to talk baseball, complement his players, was seemingly a very tough minded head coach although he had a wry sense of humor, and he appeared to be well respected by his players. The Notre Dame basketball and baseball players were required to travel wearing coats and ties and were always well behaved before and during the flights. Late in the season, the team showed up at the Pittsburgh airport wearing jeans and shorts and basically looking like college students. The players had just won their final weekend series against Georgetown, if memory serves, and they asked Mainieri if they could break the dress code just this once and he concurred. Both he and O'Conner appeared to be players' coaches and their matchup will be one of those rare cases where I would like to see both win. I suspect that the Virginia youth may be too much to overcome but this will not be the only time O'Conner takes a team to Omaha.

gw67

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I love college basketball but I played and coached baseball for several years and still enjoy the sport; particularly, the college world series (CWS) played in Omaha. This weekend the CWS starts and one of the first round games involves Virginia versus LSU. This is a fascinating matchup for several reasons. First, the Cavaliers are primarily a sophomore/freshmen team that won the ACC tournament, came through the toughest regional defeating the no. 1 pick in the draft as well as the top rated team in the NCAA tourney to get to the super regional where they defeated a higher ranked team, Mississippi, in front of a wild home crowd in Oxford. No one who followed college baseball predicted that they would come this far this fast. The Cavs are coached by Brian O'Conner who grew up in Omaha, attended the CWS as a youngster with his dad, played in the CWS as a pitcher for Creighton, and coached in the CWS as an assistant coach for Notre Dame. I met O'Conner a couple of times when he was recruiting for Notre Dame and while traveling Fridays and Sundays to and from South Bend over an extended period several years ago. It was clear that he had the potential to be a terrific head coach some day (bright, articulate, easy going manner and a very deep knowledge of baseball).

Another interesting part of the matchup is that LSU is trying to get back to where it once was - the top team in college baseball. Their head coach during the glory years, Skip Bertmann, hired a top coach a couple of years ago, Paul Mainieri (sp?), from Notre Dame. Mainieri was very successful at Notre Dame and was O'Conner's boss at ND. I generally got the same seat on the flights to and from South Bend/Pittsburgh and sat next to Mainieri three or four times. He loved to talk baseball, complement his players, was seemingly a very tough minded head coach although he had a wry sense of humor, and he appeared to be well respected by his players. The Notre Dame basketball and baseball players were required to travel wearing coats and ties and were always well behaved before and during the flights. Late in the season, the team showed up at the Pittsburgh airport wearing jeans and shorts and basically looking like college students. The players had just won their final weekend series against Georgetown, if memory serves, and they asked Mainieri if they could break the dress code just this once and he concurred. Both he and O'Conner appeared to be players' coaches and their matchup will be one of those rare cases where I would like to see both win. I suspect that the Virginia youth may be too much to overcome but this will not be the only time O'Conner takes a team to Omaha.

gw67

Oh, dear! Was I surprised! I thought you were going to tell about seeing our former AD in Omaha!

Kewlswim
06-10-2009, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I feel that the Devils missed the NCAA tournament by a gnats eyelash. I might be wrong, but it feels like we (ok they, but I feel like as a supporter as part of the team) are a year or two from going to Omaha and should go to the tournament next year. Am I being too aggressive?

I am SO STOKED by Duke athletics. I like where football is headed, LAX, etc. etc. I always feel like Duke basketball (men and women) are on the cusp of being back in the regionals and a final four is around the corner. I LOVE DUKE!

Go DEVILS!

gw67
06-11-2009, 07:41 AM
The Post has a nice article on O'Conner in this morning's edition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001497.html?sub=AR

I note that Virginia's baseball program was in the wilderness until Littlepage hired O'Conner and the school decided to get behind the program. Like basketball, baseball in the ACC is played at a high level and there is no reason why Duke cannot be competitive and make the NCAA's. Based on this past year, it appears that the baseball program is on its way.

gw67

whereinthehellami
06-11-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm looking forward to watching some college baseball this weeekend also. Carraway (sp?) for UVA has had a good year. UNC has a good young team. Dustin Ackley of UNC is being talked about as an excellent hitting prospect for the Majors.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-11-2009, 10:25 AM
The Post has a nice article on O'Conner in this morning's edition.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/10/AR2009061001497.html?sub=AR

I note that Virginia's baseball program was in the wilderness until Littlepage hired O'Conner and the school decided to get behind the program. Like basketball, baseball in the ACC is played at a high level and there is no reason why Duke cannot be competitive and make the NCAA's. Based on this past year, it appears that the baseball program is on its way.

gw67
While our baseball program has not received the attention that the football program did during its decline, it is time for improvements of the sort emerging now in the baseball program. In times of program decline, it is the student athletes who are most effected. It's wonderful to see the program on the upswing! Supporting the Iron Dukes through contributions is one way to support the baseball program.

GO DUKE!

whereinthehellami
06-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Dustin Ackley of UNC was drafted by Seattle with the 2nd overall pick of the MLB draft.

dkbaseball
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
It's a shame these two clubs have to meet in the first round. I've seen LSU play several times. They are two-deep with SEC-caliber players at every position, have top-shelf 1 and 2 starters and a solid closer. Pitching depth was supposed to be the weakness, but the second-line starters showed up huge in the SEC tournament. People at LSU are happy that Manieri has brought the program back into the top echelon, but they're used to winning in Omaha. I make LSU the favorite, but nobody has been playing better than the Hoos. What they've done on the road in successive weekends is absolutely remarkable. O'Connor has done an amazing job.