PDA

View Full Version : Committment Upon Visit

NYC Duke Fan
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
This is a lull time in college basketball and if it were in the basketball season I probably would have little interest.

I might be mistaken but I remember times when a recruit would make a visit to Duke and either commit during the visit or call within the next few days and tell Coach K that he was coming. I don't recall that happening in the last few years but as I said I could be mistaken. Does anyone remember that occurring and if so what could be the reason ? Are all schools having the same situation happening? Seems that recruits now are taking their time after visits and are not blown away with their initial visit bto Duke.

Thank You.

COYS
06-03-2009, 10:34 AM
This is a lull time in college basketball and if it were in the basketball season I probably would have little interest.

I might be mistaken but I remember times when a recruit would make a visit to Duke and either commit during the visit or call within the next few days and tell Coach K that he was coming. I don't recall that happening in the last few years but as I said I could be mistaken. Does anyone remember that occurring and if so what could be the reason ? Are all schools having the same situation happening? Seems that recruits now are taking their time after visits and are not blown away with their initial visit bto Duke.

Thank You.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, Dawkins, Thornton, and Hairston all committed during or right after their visit. I think Dawkins was right after and Thornton and Hairston committed while on campus.

sagegrouse
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Seth Curry.

sagegrouse

SilkyJ
06-03-2009, 12:55 PM
If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, Dawkins, Thornton, and Hairston all committed during or right after their visit. I think Dawkins was right after and Thornton and Hairston committed while on campus.

Not sure about Dawkins, but you are spot-on with Thornton and Hairston. They went sequentially into Coach K's office and committed on the spot. Welcome to Duke boys!

m g
06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
kelly and mason plumlee also committed early in their recruitment... and it only took us like an hour to get miles plumlee, haha

roywhite
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
Bobby Hurley said he got the feeling he'd be coming to Duke when he first saw the Duke Chapel on his recruiting visit.

Dean Smith was invited to dinner at the home of Grant Hill and his parents (Dean and Calvin Hill were friendly; Duke, UNC and Georgetown all went after Grant pretty hard); Grant said that after dinner was over, and he watched Dean Smith drive away, he knew he would commit to Duke.

jimsumner
06-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Billy McCaffrey and Chris Duhon pulled the trigger pretty quickly.

johaad
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Bobby Hurley said he got the feeling he'd be coming to Duke when he first saw the Duke Chapel on his recruiting visit.

Dean Smith was invited to dinner at the home of Grant Hill and his parents (Dean and Calvin Hill were friendly; Duke, UNC and Georgetown all went after Grant pretty hard); Grant said that after dinner was over, and he watched Dean Smith drive away, he knew he would commit to Duke.

Is that true? If so that is awesome.

Jim3k
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Cherokee said pretty much the same thing. When he got to the traffic circle and saw the chapel for the first time, he said he knew he was home...or words to that effect.

watzone
06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
DeMarcus Nelson in his junior year during the TOC. I broke it right here at DBR.