PDA

View Full Version : Conan O'Brien

DUKIECB
06-02-2009, 04:03 PM
With Conan beginning his new gig on the Tonight Show, I was wondering what everyone's opinion of him is. Personally I think he is pretty funny but only in small doses.

Jarhead
06-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I will not watch Conan. I miss Johnny Carson.

Tommac
06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I will not watch Conan. I miss Johnny Carson.

You got that right. Johnny's worst stuff was better than anyone else's best stuff.:)

OZZIE4DUKE
06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
I watched the opening, when he was running west to LA, and I thought that was well done. I don't think I've watched Conan for 10 minutes for the entire time he was on his late show, so I was coming in raw to his stuff. Then, in an early sketch, he started screaming. Ok. But then he kept screaming, and after he stopped, he started again. That's when I turned him off and went back to Letterman. I have the Tonight Show recorded and will rewatch it, at least until it confirms that I don't like his style.

No one compares to Carson, and I actually preferred Leno to Letterman - I think Leno's monologues were far funnier, and so was his schtick. I haven't thought most of Letterman's schtick was funny for a couple of years (my wife prefers Dave to Jay, so that was what we usually watched).

DevilCastDownfromDurham
06-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I love Conan and am in awe of the career he's made for himself (two-time Harvard Lampoon Pres, SNL, writer of 2 of the greatest Simpsons eps of all time) particularly building his own style and voice in the shadow of Letterman and (ugh) Leno at the Tonight Show. When I was in college in the 90's he was one of the freshest and most interesting voices on mainstream TV.

He's still pretty funny today, but I am very wary of how he will fit in the with 11:30 demographic. After a decade of "that headline is funny" jokes (which Conan regularly killed with his fake headlines) I'm just not sure Pimpbot 5000 will translate well. I'll keep watching but I fear either ratings will drop (esp. since Leno stabbed him in the back with the earlier show) or the absurdity of the humor will get watered down.

Bluedog
06-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Then, in an early sketch, he started screaming. Ok. But then he kept screaming, and after he stopped, he started again. That's when I turned him off and went back to Letterman.

I agree. The screaming was a bit much. I like Conan a lot, but the show last night was definitely NOT one of my favorites. I thought the opening sketch of him running was well done, but others such as the tram ride went on for far too long. And Will Ferrel wasn't really a good guest either. I'll still watch - I've seen his show in the other timeslot and he has far funnier material than what he showcased last night in my opinion. For example, Triumph the Insult Comic Dog is classic!

I think Conan is more hit and miss than Jay Leno - Leno's comedy is "safer" in that if it doesn't garner a good fan reaction, it doesn't usually ruin the whole skit/show and deliver a bomb. I almost always "like" Leno's shows, but never love or hate them. Conan tends to take more risks with jokes and sketches that could by hysterical or terrible and drag on. His humor is also a lot more "quirky" and he makes funny voices/gestures etc a lot more than Leno. Some moments I have thought it was genius and other moments I'm wondering why I'm wasting my time watching.

I actually think Letterman is the best at interviews. He doesn't hold anything back and plays the blunt old man really well. It's entertaining hearing him rip into Spencer Pratt (sp?), ask indirectly to Joaquin Phoenix if he's on drugs, or whatever he does. I like Leno's and O'Brien's monologue and sketch material more than Letterman, however. It'll be interesting to see the ratings...

hurleyfor3
06-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I miss the nbc letterman.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-02-2009, 06:43 PM
I actually think Letterman is the best at interviews.
I think Letterman is the best "serious" interviewer on television. Ever since he had George Bush on just after 9/11, back in the days when Dave didn't HATE W, Dave has had several serious interviews for various reasons and he asks intelligent, probing questions and then followup questions, far better than the cardboard cutouts the networks have on the news shows.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
I think Letterman is the best "serious" interviewer on television. Ever since he had George Bush on just after 9/11, back in the days when Dave didn't HATE W, Dave has had several serious interviews for various reasons and he asks intelligent, probing questions and then followup questions, far better than the cardboard cutouts the networks have on the news shows.

I'd throw Jon Stewart into the mix as well. His take-down of Cramer is legendary, but he is consistently better-informed and (IMO) funnier in interviews than anyone on television. His stuff with Fareed Zakaria is always excellent. Stewart is also really good (in interviews) at getting information out, rather than scoring points (which is clearly his focus in the first segment) or just going for biography/personality.

weezie
06-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I did laugh at the new Conan commercial where he's running in wingtips on the beach and musing on his pasty Irish skin burning in the sun. Because that's me, too. Sans wingtips and beach, i.e.n:cool:

roywhite
06-02-2009, 07:37 PM

Uh, Charlie Rose?

johaad
06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I'd throw Jon Stewart into the mix as well. His take-down of Cramer is legendary, but he is consistently better-informed and (IMO) funnier in interviews than anyone on television. His stuff with Fareed Zakaria is always excellent. Stewart is also really good (in interviews) at getting information out, rather than scoring points (which is clearly his focus in the first segment) or just going for biography/personality.

I like Stewart's interview style. Now, one of the most underrated interviewers in my opinion is Howard Stern. I know he isn't on network TV anymore but I still think he fits in that category. And I'm sure there are Howard haters here (which is fine, trust me I understand), but I don't think there is anyone else who is able to get out as much info from their guest as Howard.

As far as Conan, I'm no fan. I think the most interesting thing about this Leno/Conan stuff is to see if Leno can survive in the new timeslot. My guess is he can't. We'll see.

johaad
06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Uh, Charlie Rose?

He is a quality interviewer. I agree.

rthomas
06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Uh, Charlie Rose?

I can not say I've ever had sex watching Charlie Rose.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Uh, Charlie Rose?
Charlie Rose is a member of the esteemed Class of 1964 (Trinity) and School of Law Class of 1968. Of course he's good!

roywhite
06-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Charlie Rose is a member of the esteemed Class of 1964 (Trinity) and School of Law Class of 1968. Of course he's good!

Did you know him as an undergrad, DitBD? Frat guy?

His wiki bio says he was a good HS basketball player; I've seen him talk to Coach K, and Charlie clearly knows and loves his Blue Devil hoops.

hc5duke
06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I want to add that Craig Ferguson is severely underrated - i think he does the best job with monologues among all the current late night guys, and he's the only one I watch consistently. I would put [Conan, Leno, Letterman] in that order in the "Pretty funny, I'll watch if it's on" category, then it's a huge drop off: Carson Daly at "Not my cup of tea but don't hate him either" and then Jimmy Fallon at "A pox upon thee" category. Carson is way before my time (I moved to the States in '94) but we do share the same birthday, so he's clearly awesome.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Did you know him as an undergrad, DitBD? Frat guy?

His wiki bio says he was a good HS basketball player; I've seen him talk to Coach K, and Charlie clearly knows and loves his Blue Devil hoops.

He flew under my radar then though I remember hearing during undergraduate years that he had said he dated only wealthy women. Don't remember fraternity affiliation, but sagegrouse would know. Charlie's Wikipedia bio reminded me that his former wife is the sister-in-law of John Mack (CEO Morgan Stanley, football player and ATO at Duke).

OZZIE4DUKE
06-03-2009, 03:03 AM
I want to add that Craig Ferguson is severely underrated - i think he does the best job with monologues among all the current late night guys, and he's the only one I watch consistently.
A few months ago I would have agreed with you in liking CF's monologues best, but after going to his show last February, I have grown less fond of him. I was somewhat disappointed in the show I went to, and have been less enthralled with the show since. Maybe it's because I know first hand what's going on in the studio to generate all that fake, or at least forced, laughter.

whereinthehellami
06-03-2009, 08:33 AM
I tried to watch him a couple times through the years but he always struck me as awkward. Stewart and Colbert are more enjoyable to watch IMO.

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-03-2009, 11:22 AM
Well, I go all the way back to Jack Paar. Gawd. am I old! Each guy has put his own style on the show and it's like comparing apples and oranges. Paar was fascinating. Even on a dull night you stayed tuned because anything might happen (and we didn't have DVRs!). Steve Allen, warm, talented,witty and had super talent as regulars. Carson put together great line-ups and Sevrenson's Tonight Show Orchestra will never be topped. Leno had the toughest job (following Carson)and I liked him as a person. His philosophy that "when times are hard you tell silly jokes and when times are good you tell the tough jokes" is sound. I think I'd like him as a friend. In an effort to "keep up with the times" I have tried and tried to adapt to Conan's humor on many occasions. Sorry....don't know if it's him or me, but I just think he's silly and at best obtuse. He's made me smile a couple of times, I guess. I suppose he's harmless, bless his heart. I enjoy Colbert and Stewart a lot so I guess I'm not toooo behind the times.

I'm glad to see Jay get prime time. I'm betting on a terrific show. I'd like to hear more great music. Not just the latest noise. Maybe that will happen with an earlier time slot.

Love, Ima

DevilCastDownfromDurham
06-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Conan's Tonight Show is still finding its way, but I thought the Twitter Tracker (http://www.hulu.com/watch/75638/the-tonight-show-with-conan-obrien-twitter-tracker) was a genuinely funny (and in Conan's style of absurdist satire) bit that was still very accessible. Hopefully a sign of things to come as they find the right balance.

MarineTwinsDad
06-07-2009, 02:26 PM
A lot of comedians are funny, tell funny jokes, can even get the audience to laugh. With the Tonight Show, something more is expected. Leno was likeable, someone you didn't mind being with, and he was funny too. Conan? I don't really like him, can't explain why. I'd rather not be around him, even if he is funny sometimes.

bjornolf
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Wasn't it Jon Stewart that accused the woman of "raping puppies" over the Duke lacrosse thing? Whoever that was is my all time favorite. ;)

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Wasn't it Jon Stewart that accused the woman of "raping puppies" over the Duke lacrosse thing? Whoever that was is my all time favorite. ;)

Yep. He did a great job of holding Nancy Grace's feet to the fire at the time with brilliant satire too, bless his heart.
Love, Ima

FreezingDevil
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I personally am a very big fan of Conan's, but I understand that he's not everyone's cup of tea. His material on Late Nite was some of the funniest and most original stuff out there. His stand up has always been a little weak, but its the random sketches and improv moments that made his show work. Triumph the Insult comic dog, the Walker Texas Ranger lever, the Year 2000, and Tom Selleck's suidical moustache -- the list of hilarious bits goes on and on. However, I realize that not everyone finds a Masturbating Bear to be as hilarious as I do. Thus, we'll just have to see how Conan adapts to the 11:30 slot. My guess is that it will take some time, but in the end it will work out as Conan has shown a remarkable ability to adapt and succeed in whatever environment he finds himself in

Oriole Way
06-11-2009, 02:51 AM
A lot of comedians are funny, tell funny jokes, can even get the audience to laugh. With the Tonight Show, something more is expected. Leno was likeable, someone you didn't mind being with, and he was funny too. Conan? I don't really like him, can't explain why. I'd rather not be around him, even if he is funny sometimes.

Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I suspect the preference for one or the other (Leno vs. O'Brien) is largely generational.

Conan has had a strong following of college-aged kids ever since the mid/late 90's. Being 28, I have watched Conan for years and find him extremely funny. His brand of humor can be somewhat juvenile, but it can also be intellectual. Conan was responsible for a couple of classic Simpsons episodes as well, so I have always respected his comedic writing ability.

Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could find Leno legitimately funny. Leno is likeable, he can have a quick wit during interviews, and he's jovial, but I think Conan blows him away in terms of pure comedic talent. But, like I said, perhaps it's just a mater of taste, and perhaps Conan just appeals to a younger demographic.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I suspect the preference for one or the other (Leno vs. O'Brien) is largely generational.
Honestly, I don't understand how anyone could find Leno legitimately funny. Leno is likeable, he can have a quick wit during interviews, and he's jovial, but I think Conan blows him away in terms of pure comedic talent. But, like I said, perhaps it's just a mater of taste, and perhaps Conan just appeals to a younger demographic.

I feel basically the same way about Conan/Leno and I've observed the same generational divide. It's always puzzled me, however, that baby boomers didn't embrace Conan a bit more since they came of age with Monty Python, The Firesign Theatre, and even earlier things like The Goon Show. Absurdist humor and smart people doing stupid jokes isn't a new phenomenon. I understand that Mr. Show, Tim & Eric and the like might seem too alien, but Conan is very much in line with major baby boom touchstones. Maybe I just spent too much time with hippy/nerdy boomers? [shrugs]

Acymetric
06-11-2009, 03:49 PM
but speaking of Conan, did anyone catch John Mayer's performance on the show last week? I saw a clip of it online, thought it was pretty good.