PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Kansas football details firmed up

jimsumner
06-01-2009, 03:56 PM
From Duke SID.

"Duke's football game against Kansas scheduled for Saturday, September 19 in Lawrence, Kan., will kick off at 12 noon (ET). The contest -- the first between the Blue Devils and Jayhawks on the gridiron -- will be televised live by VERSUS."

Bluedog
06-01-2009, 04:49 PM
From Duke SID.

"Duke's football game against Kansas scheduled for Saturday, September 19 in Lawrence, Kan., will kick off at 12 noon (ET). The contest -- the first between the Blue Devils and Jayhawks on the gridiron -- will be televised live by VERSUS."

Wow! Versus is televising college football? Have they done that in the past? I've never noticed it. I actually get Vs.! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the report, Jim.

CameronBornAndBred
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
From Duke SID.

Thanks Jim. We brunchgaters have that day marked to gather in Durham and watch at one of the local's houses. Good to know for sure that it will be on TV. GO DUKE!!

SilkyJ
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Jim.

2 years ago I trekked out to South Bend to see the ND game, b/c that's about as far West as Duke usually goes. Kansas is even closer (to CA), but I'm not sure there's the same allure. Now if this were a game at the Phog...

Any other Devils thinking about making the trip?

weezie
06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
House party @ DukieInKansas's pad!!!!:D

DukieInKansas
06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Jim.

2 years ago I trekked out to South Bend to see the ND game, b/c that's about as far West as Duke usually goes. Kansas is even closer (to CA), but I'm not sure there's the same allure. Now if this were a game at the Phog...

House party @ DukieInKansas's pad!!!!:D

With Ozzie's help, I will have 6 tickets to the game. Five are spoken for - so I have one available for someone. We can hit the Free State Brewery after the game for those of the beer persuasion! I'm sure a Duke shirt after our victory will get us free beer. :D

-jk
06-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks, Jim.

Last time I saw a game at Phog Allen, Crazy Towel Guy (aka Herb) came this close to getting arrested into protective custody. Quite an experience.

-jk

DU82
06-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Last time I saw a game at Phog Allen, Crazy Towel Guy (aka Herb) came this close to getting arrested into protective custody. Quite an experience.

-jk

As opposed to getting arrested in Kansas City in '88.

Glad I saw this. I was about to book a trip to the game through St. Louis, in order to see the Cards on Friday night (#24 on my national baseball tour of stadiums.) Wouldn't get into KC until 10AM, that would only leave an hour (game time is 11AM CDT) from the airport. Looks like I'll have to catch the Cards another time.

msdukie
06-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow! Versus is televising college football? Have they done that in the past? I've never noticed it. I actually get Vs.! Looking forward to it. Thanks for the report, Jim.

They broadcast primarily Mountain West and WAC football and basketball (and own the mtn. network).

msdukie
06-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I know it is out of Duke's hands as a road game, but it really would be nice if we didn't play at noon on Rosh Hashana....

wolfpackdevil
06-02-2009, 07:07 AM
If im not mistaken, VERSUS is a national tv station. If so, this would be Duke's first national televised football game since I can remember.

Those games they play on WRAL are only seen by people in the southeast.

ESPNU did a couple of Duke's games last year, but I don't count that as National TV.

This is a big game for duke, that hopefully they could win and start with a 3-0 record......

Bob Green
06-02-2009, 07:14 AM
This is a big game for duke, that hopefully they could win and start with a 3-0 record......

Beating Kansas is a tall order, but I agree with you that a 3-0 start would be nice. However, we had better not look past Richmond! They were the FCS Champions last year. I'm starting to get excited about the approaching football season.

msdukie
06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Duke @ Notre Dame - November 17, 2007 - NBC

Other than the ESPNU appearances, Duke hasn't been on national TV since 1996 (Duke@Tech on ESPN Thursday Night).

OZZIE4DUKE
06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I know it is out of Duke's hands as a road game, but it really would be nice if we didn't play at noon on Rosh Hashana....

Mike Stein
Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
Tampa
Mike, the Jewish calendar just doesn't dictate sports scheduling with TV money ruling.

Fortunately, Sandy Koufax isn't our starting QB.

And all this time I thought msdukie stood for Ms. Dukie, and not your initials! Glad I noticed your sig.

watzone
06-02-2009, 10:15 AM

They have been televising some games in the past few seasons. Kansas is ranked 21st in the country by Athlon, or is it Lindys ... anyhow, one of the pre season mags.

msdukie
06-02-2009, 11:18 AM
And all this time I thought msdukie stood for Ms. Dukie, and not your initials! Glad I noticed your sig.

Nope. but I am looking for a Ms. Dukie, if one is out there ...;)

4decadedukie
06-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Duke's third game this season is played in Lawrence, Kansas, at noon, and will be broadcast live on VERSUS.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3745459 (//http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3745459)

adam
06-08-2009, 09:14 PM
With Ozzie's help, I will have 6 tickets to the game. Five are spoken for - so I have one available for someone. We can hit the Free State Brewery after the game for those of the beer persuasion! I'm sure a Duke shirt after our victory will get us free beer. :D

Is that last ticket still available? If so, I might be interested in it. I'll be in Iowa then and would love to make the trip down to Lawrence to watch the game. Let me know. Thanks!

Go DUKE!!!

blazindw
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
If im not mistaken, VERSUS is a national tv station. If so, this would be Duke's first national televised football game since I can remember.

Those games they play on WRAL are only seen by people in the southeast.

ESPNU did a couple of Duke's games last year, but I don't count that as National TV.

Versus is not on basic cable packages like ESPN is. In fact, it's usually on the same cable package as ESPNU. For example, Comcast (the devil) doesn't have ESPNU but has Versus. Some other cable companies have ESPNU but no Versus.

DukieInKansas
06-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Is that last ticket still available? If so, I might be interested in it. I'll be in Iowa then and would love to make the trip down to Lawrence to watch the game. Let me know. Thanks!

Go DUKE!!!

I'm sure there are other tickets available. Ozzie was kind enough to purchase 6 for me when he ordered his season tickets. I haven't asked a 6th person - so we can talk.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Versus is not on basic cable packages like ESPN is. In fact, it's usually on the same cable package as ESPNU. For example, Comcast (the devil) doesn't have ESPNU but has Versus. Some other cable companies have ESPNU but no Versus.

Versus is part of the Time Warner "basic" cable service. For the Durham area that would be Channel 65 while in Winston-Salem it's Channel 56. In Greensboro Versus is Channel 75. (Somebody is paid to come up with different channel numbers for the same network broadcast in adjoining, but different areas of service!!!!)

crimsonandblue
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Kansas just announced our noncon schedule for 2010 (http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061009aaa.html)and it includes GaTech in Lawrence, with a return game scheduled for 2011. Any word on the KU-Duke return game?

CameronBornAndBred
06-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Kansas just announced our noncon schedule for 2010 (http://www.kuathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061009aaa.html)and it includes GaTech in Lawrence, with a return game scheduled for 2011. Any word on the KU-Duke return game?
Might be after we beat them. :D

We have Alabama in 2010, plus we will probably have Army that year at home, so I doubt Kansas will be fit in.

DU Band Prez 88
06-12-2009, 01:20 PM

What's the word on KU's team this year, and how they will do in the Big 12's North division? One would expect that Mizzou will still be very good & Nebraska is bound to continue to improve.

rasputin
06-12-2009, 02:35 PM
What's the word on KU's team this year, and how they will do in the Big 12's North division? One would expect that Mizzou will still be very good & Nebraska is bound to continue to improve.

Not sure about Mizzou; they have lost a lot, although I'm sure there are others on this board more knowledgeable about the Tigers than I am.

crimsonandblue
06-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Opinions differ on whether KU or NU is the odds on favorite to win the north. KU's got Nebraska at home this year, which helps. Mizzou should be a rung down, having lost Daniel, Maclin, and a number of other key performers.

All KU's skilled position players return, leaving the big question mark on offense to the trenches. We're apparently moving our last year's left tackle, Jeff Spikes, to center (he's considered too short to truly play tackle). We're moving a RS freshman to tackle. Athletic, long, but light in the seat, in Tanner Hawkinson. We'll see how that transition goes and whether that alignment holds up through camp. If the line is serviceable (and it will be), our offense should be really good. Reesing at QB is the best I've ever seen in a Jayhawks uniform and has made the past few years a lot of fun.

On defense, we've got a ton of depth up front. We need further production. Especially off the edge and in pass rush situations. Hopefully Quentin Woods and Max Onyegbule (the first a JUCO transfer from Cali and the second just becoming a full timer) along with Jake Laptad, can provide pressure we weren't able to get last year.

The real issue for our D is we lost our entire linebacking corps. And one of the expected replacements tore up his knee playing special teams last year. That said, we're expected to transition to a true 4-2-5 to help combat all the spread teams in the Big XII, so we'll essentially play an extra safety or nickel and likely roll them up in run situations. That should mean we're looking for two quality backers, instead of three.

Our defensive backfield is very solid. We've got a diminutive athlete in Daymond Patterson at corner and a big physical corner in Justin Thorton. Both played well. Our nickel back, Chris Harris, started as a freshman for the team that won the Orange Bowl. We've also got our best defensive player and maybe the best athlete on the team at safety in Darrell Stuckey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLPueTX4CsI).

Overall, we're considered borderline top 25. I think that's fair and we've got a tough south schedule with OU, UT and Texas Tech (we rotate every two years between that group and A&M, OSU and Baylor - pretty different challenge), but we have a real chance at winning the north. That would be a fantastic capper to the careers of Kerry Meier, Stuckey, Reesing, Jake Sharp, et al.