PDA

View Full Version : Asack dismissed

jimsumner
05-29-2009, 04:31 PM
"Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced on Friday that safety Zack Asack has been dismissed from the program, effective immediately, for violation of team policy."

heyman25
05-29-2009, 04:35 PM
College Athletes. Asack already made the plagiarism mistake . You think he would have learned his lesson. Too bad for Asack and too bad for Duke. His dad must be extremely embarrassed and disappointed.

CameronBornAndBred
05-29-2009, 05:34 PM
That really sucks for Zack and the team. Zack made a commitment to Duke that really surprised me when he came to all of the games while he was on his first suspension (from school entirely). He was the only player (at least that I saw) at Cutcliffe's introduction press conference. He took his move to safety in stride, and did well there in the spring game. I don't know what he did to merit his suspension this time, but the sad thing is it's his own doing. As much as he's given, he will have only himself to blame. At least he should have 2 years eligibility, I wonder if he will transfer.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-29-2009, 05:41 PM
That really sucks for Zack and the team. Zack made a commitment to Duke that really surprised me when he came to all of the games while he was on his first suspension (from school entirely). He was the only player (at least that I saw) at Cutcliffe's introduction press conference. He took his move to safety in stride, and did well there in the spring game. I don't know what he did to merit his suspension this time, but the sad thing is it's his own doing. As much as he's given, he will have only himself to blame. At least he should have 2 years eligibility, I wonder if he will transfer.
I believe that Zack would have been a senior.

Bluedog
05-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't know what he did to merit his suspension

Maybe the team saw the following picture and were disgusted at the ugly blue and the fact that he actually went to UNC's football field voluntarily (his gf just graduated from UNC). ;)

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3342/194/124/2719861/n2719861_41660487_1480867.jpg

In all seriousness, it's a tough loss and is disappointing.

P.S. Him smiling in front of the Smith Center...http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v3342/194/124/2719861/n2719861_41660493_2859999.jpg even more gross

CameronBornAndBred
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
You are correct, goduke has him listed as a senior. I wonder how this will affect his brother Paul. (redshirt freshmen, kicker)

Acymetric
05-29-2009, 10:55 PM

This would be his senior year...since he was dismissed would it be possible for him to go to a new school and play this year without sitting out? No idea if any school would be interested, but it could be a possibility for Zach.

Its a shame, I was looking forward to seeing how he could contribute at safety.

...On the other hand, I certainly don't expect anyone will suggest he should be our starting QB anymore...

PumpkinFunk
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
This would be his senior year...since he was dismissed would it be possible for him to go to a new school and play this year without sitting out? No idea if any school would be interested, but it could be a possibility for Zach.

Its a shame, I was looking forward to seeing how he could contribute at safety.

...On the other hand, I certainly don't expect anyone will suggest he should be our starting QB anymore...

I don't think so, because he already sat out a year at one point for the cheating, which I believe counts as his redshirt year. So he's done with college football.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-30-2009, 11:48 AM
I don't think so, because he already sat out a year at one point for the cheating, which I believe counts as his redshirt year. So he's done with college football.
Perhaps I've misunderstood what you meant. Zack is listed as a senior on the 2009 roster. He was a participant in the Spring Scrimmage and was expected to play this fall.

formerdukeathlete
05-30-2009, 12:14 PM

Z. Asack has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He can transfer to a D-2 school and play right away in the fall. Under the old rules he also could go to a D-1aa school and play right away. Not sure if that is still available without a waiver. I would think that some programs would be interested as a QB, given his freshman all-american honorable mention, moments in games since then, height and speed, provided his violations were of a moderate nature.

Acymetric
05-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Perhaps I've misunderstood what you meant. Zack is listed as a senior on the 2009 roster. He was a participant in the Spring Scrimmage and was expected to play this fall.

Right, but what I'm asking is whether getting dismissed from the team eliminates the year sitting out (since he didn't choose to leave the team, as is the case when someone transfers while still on scholarship).

Z. Asack has 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. He can transfer to a D-2 school and play right away in the fall. Under the old rules he also could go to a D-1aa school and play right away. Not sure if that is still available without a waiver. I would think that some programs would be interested as a QB, given his freshman all-american honorable mention, moments in games since then, height and speed, provided his violations were of a moderate nature.

Ah. So even though he's not technically on scholarship for a team anymore he would have to sit out a year to play D-I? I'm just curious from a rules standpoint, I'm not sure he'll have much success at the lower anyway.

Kewlswim
05-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi,

I would think, given that he has only been removed from the football team, that it behooves him to think about graduating with a Duke degree and moving on with life. It was clear he was not a college QB. It is clear he has some issues--most kids don't cheat and then to add insult to injury break other rules. I am sorry to see him go, but in the wake of reading about what Coach Calipari has been doing, I don't want Duke football to turn into some mini-Memphis or Kentucky just to win a football game. I want us to win, yes. I want us to win the right way even more. I savor victories as much as the next guy.

GO DUKE FOOTBALL!

CameronBornAndBred
05-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi,

I would think, given that he has only been removed from the football team, that it behooves him to think about graduating with a Duke degree and moving on with life. It was clear he was not a college QB. It is clear he has some issues--most kids don't cheat and then to add insult to injury break other rules. I am sorry to see him go, but in the wake of reading about what Coach Calipari has been doing, I don't want Duke football to turn into some mini-Memphis or Kentucky just to win a football game. I want us to win, yes. I want us to win the right way even more. I savor victories as much as the next guy.

GO DUKE FOOTBALL!
I agree that agree that he should think about staying, but without the scholarship that would be a pretty expensive endeavor for his family. If they can afford it, great, but if not then it's in his best interest to at least get a degree somewhere through his talents on the field.

Kewlswim
05-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree that agree that he should think about staying, but without the scholarship that would be a pretty expensive endeavor for his family. If they can afford it, great, but if not then it's in his best interest to at least get a degree somewhere through his talents on the field.

Hi,

I think you are saying that if his scholarship was revoked too that staying at Duke would be a mighty expensive endeavor. I think that even if he has to leave and complete the units elsewhere he would probably have enough to graduate with a Duke degree. He will have to look at the graduation requirements in terms of units, etc. Furthermore, I don't know his eligibility for financial aid, etc. He is still a Duke student, just no longer a football player there.

GO DUKE

formerdukeathlete
05-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Ah. So even though he's not technically on scholarship for a team anymore he would have to sit out a year to play D-I? I'm just curious from a rules standpoint, I'm not sure he'll have much success at the lower anyway.

he would have to sit out, which means he cant go d-1a (because then it would take 6 to play 4 and there is no medical hardship in the mix, which is how Tielor Robinson got 6 to do 4), unless he were to get a student first waiver, like Greg Paulus, and i am not sure he would qualify.

It used to be that a d-1a player could always transfer to a d-1aa school such as Delaware, even with one year of eligibility and play right away. Now, and correct me if i am wrong, it seems that you can do this only if you have 2 years of eligibility left. Our Big Ben Patrick TE transfered to Delaware with one year left. So did QB Mike Schneider go d-1aa with one year. Maybe there is a waiver in there. If this were possible, Holy Cross might be a logical fit. D-2 is wide open.

Asack should have enough credits to graduate from Duke, with credits earned at another school.

weezie
05-31-2009, 12:14 AM
Cutliffe bringing the high heat. I'm seriously respecting him.

hurleyfor3
06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
That photo. That... blue. Oh, my eyes.

El_Diablo
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Maybe Coach Calipari will offer him a scholarship...

Hancock 4 Duke
06-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I feel really sorry for asack. I know him and my dad knows his dad very well (same fraternity at Duke) and he is a real nice kid.