PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Accused of Violations By NCAA

Newton_14
05-27-2009, 09:06 PM
The NCAA has accused the 2007-08 Memphis Men's Basketball team of violations. This involves a player on the FF team and a fraudulent SAT exam. Also notes an illegal travel fee payment to an associate of a player..

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/15262000

BlueintheFace
05-27-2009, 09:20 PM
Shocked I tell you... SHOCKED

moonpie23
05-27-2009, 09:23 PM
of course.....why do you think he bolted to UK? He'll leave them with some trash too....

roywhite
05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
One step ahead of the sheriff.

RoyalBlue08
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
ESPN is reporting this now too....hysterical. I wonder how many Kentucky fans are going to throw up in their mouth just a little bit tonight.

Kewlswim
05-27-2009, 09:26 PM
of course.....why do you think he bolted to UK? He'll leave them with some trash too....

Why not just go to the NBA where he does not have to worry about this sort of stuff? I just don't get it.

GO DUKE!

roywhite
05-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Why not just go to the NBA where he does not have to worry about this sort of stuff? I just don't get it.

GO DUKE!

72-112 record with the New Jersey Nets.

Been there, done that, went back.

studdlee10
05-27-2009, 09:31 PM
He already did after allegations at UMass. where there is smoke there is fire guys. Once you can forgive and excuse away..twice.....

He tried the nba. He wasn't just a failure..he was an EPIC FAIL. Horrible NBA coach.

roywhite
05-27-2009, 09:52 PM
He already did after allegations at UMass. where there is smoke there is fire guys. Once you can forgive and excuse away..twice.....

He tried the nba. He wasn't just a failure..he was an EPIC FAIL. Horrible NBA coach.

Good point about the UMass episode.

This sets Calipari up for a pretty dubious record---first coach to go to Final Fours at 2 different schools and have both appearances vacated because of rules violations.

geraldsneighbor
05-27-2009, 10:10 PM
SHOCKER. There has to be more too. Just wait till stuff at UK goes down.

BlueinBlo
05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Do you know whats going to suck even more, Memphis will be punished when it was all Coach Cal's fault.

Acymetric
05-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Do you know whats going to suck even more, Memphis will be punished when it was all Coach Cal's fault.

Although the argument could be made that the school should be watching over the coach's shoulder and double checking to avoid things like this, I've always thought that was a major flaw in the NCAA. I have no problem with sanctioning Memphis for ALLOWING it, but Calipari should be sanctioned wherever he goes next for DOING it.

SilkyJ
05-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Although the argument could be made that the school should be watching over the coach's shoulder and double checking to avoid things like this, I've always thought that was a major flaw in the NCAA. I have no problem with sanctioning Memphis for ALLOWING it, but Calipari should be sanctioned wherever he goes next for DOING it.

couldn't agree more. Just had this conversation with my boss who is a USC alum and so is kinda pissed about the fact that USC may suffer consequences but Tim Floyd will get a job in the NBA as an assistant in a heartbeat.

If the NCAA actually cracked down on these guys, like say IN THEIR WALLETS, they wouldn't pull this crap in the first place, at least not as many of them and not as often...

Kedsy
05-27-2009, 11:18 PM
couldn't agree more. Just had this conversation with my boss who is a USC alum and so is kinda pissed about the fact that USC may suffer consequences but Tim Floyd will get a job in the NBA as an assistant in a heartbeat.

If the NCAA actually cracked down on these guys, like say IN THEIR WALLETS, they wouldn't pull this crap in the first place, at least not as many of them and not as often...

Yes they would. They'd just try harder not to get caught.

dukemsu
05-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Enjoy yourselves, UK.

Time for your longstanding local branch of the NCAA to re-open for business. It was closed down for the Pitino and Tubby years, but business is about to pick up.

Have fun.

dukemsu

Greg_Newton
05-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I have no problem with sanctioning Memphis for ALLOWING it, but Calipari should be sanctioned wherever he goes next for DOING it.

Seriously. ESPECIALLY since it was Derrick Rose, the player who almost singlehandedly made Calipari into the 5-star recruit magnet he is. You think he would have landed the class he did this year if it hadn't been for Rose? I would be shocked if he wasn't a huge factor in Wall's decision.

This kind of reminds me of steroids cases in the MLB. Sure, there's a little bit of fallout, but in the end the perpetrator just gets a slap on the wrist (if that) while he enjoys the spoils earned from his wrongdoing. If the allegations are true and Calipari cheated, he'll still end up with a major net gain from the situation. The point of punishment be to disincentivize coaches from doing this kind of thing... frustrating system.

dukebluelemur
05-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Amazing. The letter was sent to Memphis in January. Means either 1) Kentucky knew about it and didnt care, 2) Cal didnt tell them. Either way, stunning.

Vincetaylor
05-28-2009, 01:17 AM
The NCAA needs to take Calipari down. This is becoming a joke. It must feel weird to be a UK fan right now. Even if they win a championship under Cal, it's likely that it would be erased from the record books after he eventually gets busted for cheating at UK too. My guess is that he's already broken multiple rules in the short time he's been there.

Duvall
05-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Cleveland State is now ON NOTICE.

weezie
05-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Oh yeah, and all the bleating about Chris Collins attending a high school game last season, that sure sent the reporters into a tizz, quelle catastrophe!!!!
I'll bet the press knew about this and sat on it, preferring the hearts and flowers approach towards dear old UK...don't they deserve some love and understanding? :rolleyes:

grossbus
05-28-2009, 10:07 AM
"but Calipari should be sanctioned wherever he goes next for DOING it."

yeah, how does he skate on this? the ncaa chased kelvin to OSU and sanctioned him there.

johaad
05-28-2009, 10:35 AM
"but Calipari should be sanctioned wherever he goes next for DOING it."

yeah, how does he skate on this? the ncaa chased kelvin to OSU and sanctioned him there.

I hope he doesn't. It seems that KY knew about this when hiring him. They should have to suffer too.

grossbus
05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
well, apparently cal got a letter from the ncaa saying he was in the clear. hard to understand that.

this, however, is very funny.

"Cleveland State is now ON NOTICE."

Oriole Way
05-28-2009, 11:47 AM
If Memphis gets hit with major violations (ie they are found to be guilty of these "charges"), then how does Calipari also not get severely reprimanded?

A couple of articles suggest that he is not in any danger of being in trouble, but if these allegations are true, it will be baffling to me if Calipari is not hit with major penalties.

This dirtbag has bent the rules everywhere he's been and I hope UK pays dearly for hiring him.

jv001
05-28-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't always agree with Skip Bayless (ESPN), but I do on this one. He said that Cal should be put on a 1 year probation and not be allowed to coach for one year. And if legal, not get paid during that time frame. Cal is past the used carsalesman. He's very shaddy. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then by granny it must be a duck. Go Duke!

moonpie23
05-28-2009, 11:56 AM
having him suspended for the year might make john wall's one and done very interesting..

the NCAA has told the school that the current Memphis Squad will NOT be punished..

how can that be if they put them on suspension?

Scorp4me
05-28-2009, 12:21 PM
I think it's ridiculous that schools are punished while coaches can simply leave to coach elsewhere.

Now in the silver lining in this tale is that while Gillespie allowed everyone to catch up to Kentucky in number of wins over the course of a few years with low win seasons...Cal may let everyone catch up an entire season at a time when all their wins are vacated.

BlueinBlo
05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
[I]sn't Derrick Rose in big trouble?? If the reports are correct that someone else took the SAT's under his name, that is a criminal offense.

hq2
05-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Calipari's like Jim Harrick; crooked stuff happens wherever he goes. (Does anybody remember the movie Blue Chips (in which Bobby Hurley had a part) it was basically about Harrick). I would think this would be enough to get him booted at Kentucky; after all, it's probably only a matter of time before stuff comes out on his latest recruits, and he drags UK down too.

tysi1521
05-28-2009, 12:39 PM
The NCAA needs to take Calipari down. This is becoming a joke. It must feel weird to be a UK fan right now. Even if they win a championship under Cal, it's likely that it would be erased from the record books after he eventually gets busted for cheating at UK too. My guess is that he's already broken multiple rules in the short time he's been there.

No doubt he's broken rules since he's been there. Their recruiting class is ridiculously good, twice as good as any other school in my opinion. It was ranked #1 before they got John Wall. He, with the help of WWW, is turning recruiting into a business.

grossbus
05-28-2009, 01:14 PM
"ncaa chased kelvin to OSU"

ok, i meant IU.

allenmurray
05-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Also, isn't Derrick Rose in big trouble?? If the reports are correct that someone else took the SAT's under his name, that is a criminal offense.

I can't imagine that having someone else take the SATs for you has a presumptive sentence of jail time. He'll probably be fined - I wonder if he can afford it? ;)

Memphis Devil
05-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Anyone know what the record is for [I]I told you so's[I] in a given day? I am well into 4 digits now!

Memphis Devil
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Cleveland State is now ON NOTICE.

Perhaps I'm a little slow, but I don't get it.

sue71, esq
05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
If this occurred under Cal's watch, how did the NCAA come to the conclusion he's in the clear? :confused:

calltheobvious
05-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Perhaps I'm a little slow, but I don't get it.

Maybe Tark's best quote ever will ring a bell:

"The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky that they gave Cleveland State two years probation."

blueprofessor
05-28-2009, 04:54 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-calipari052809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Forensics experts comparing the handwriting on the 3 SAT exams Rose purportedly sat for.
Rose's brother Reggie got the free charter trips.
Oh, and Calipari,Calipari, Calimari!
Best--Blue Prof:)

KenTankerous
05-28-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't know what bothers me most about all of this, Calipari not knowing, Kentucky not caring or the way the Cat fans here are sweeping this under the carpet. Check out this thread from a social network site in Louisville, Ky:

http://www.louisvillemojo.com/newforums/Replies.Cfm?TID=153877&FID=18

I lived with the losing seasons. I suffered through the Gardner-Webb and VMI debacles. I toughed out the way UK treated Tubby. But all of this, this just may be more than I can swallow as a Kentucky fan. I don't know how I can support this program any more. I guess I'll be going to the fabric store for some "D" & "E"'s to sew on my sweatshirts...

johaad
05-28-2009, 06:47 PM
I lived with the losing seasons. I suffered through the Gardner-Webb and VMI debacles. I toughed out the way UK treated Tubby. But all of this, this just may be more than I can swallow as a Kentucky fan. I don't know how I can support this program any more. I guess I'll be going to the fabric store for some "D" & "E"'s to sew on my sweatshirts...

Well, I'm sorry you have to go through this but, welcome aboard! I think you'll like the way those letters feel. And the color isn't THAT different.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't know what bothers me most about all of this, Calipari not knowing, Kentucky not caring or the way the Cat fans here are sweeping this under the carpet. Check out this thread from a social network site in Louisville, Ky:

http://www.louisvillemojo.com/newforums/Replies.Cfm?TID=153877&FID=18

Yes, it's quite unfortunate that you're experiencing this sort of situation which seems to reveal some very disgusting and disappointing attitudes and behaviors. Please know that you're welcome here and respected.

JBDuke
05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Folks, I've deleted portions of a BlueinBlo post that speculated on John Wall's SAT test timing without foundation. I've also deleted several posts that responded to those speculations.

As a reminder, rumor-mongering isn't allowed here, and unfounded speculation about a recruit's SAT timing is the kind of stuff that we don't need either. There's plenty of legitimate mud to sling in this mess right now, so let's keep the discussion to issues that have some foundation in public discourse. We don't need to invent more.

sue71, esq
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-calipari052809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Forensics experts comparing the handwriting on the 3 SAT exams Rose purportedly sat for.
Rose's brother Reggie got the free charter trips.

Ok now I understand a little better. Thanks for the link.

Kewlswim
05-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Hi,

Has the NCAA already had its hearings, etc. and is now just figuring out the punishment phase or is there some sort of NCAA court with a judge and jury, etc.? How exactly does due process work in the eyes of the NCAA? Do we get "facts" before people have a chance to refute them or have people refuted them and so now we know they are facts? If the later is true it might (just might, not saying it would) explain how Cal can be sure he is not involved any more and the mess is Memphis's to clean up. I sort of feel bad for the run of the mill Memphis fan, I am sure they deserve better than this. Their coach runs off, the recruits bail, and now they are getting sanctions. ick.

Please note that I think Cal is a major-league bender of rules and truth, etc. I am just trying to get a better handle on how the NCAA gets things done.

Thanks

GO DUKE!

Saratoga2
05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't want to pass judgment on Calipari and will wait for the details to come out. Clearly I was not thrilled with him recruiting up to 17 scholarship players for next season. The ethics of that seem suspect. I also wonder why he would bail on Memphis knowing that they would come under investigation. I worked in Japan for many years, and there, the leader would fall on his sword, regardless of guilt.

I hope the details come out quickly and that appropriate action is taken. The kids in the Kentucky program should be spared from criticism altogether unless something real is unearthed.

Kedsy
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM

Are you calling Coach Cal a squid?

dgoore97
05-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I'll bet the press knew about this and sat on it, preferring the hearts and flowers approach towards dear old UK...don't they deserve some love and understanding? :rolleyes:

anyone else think it's odd that this doesn't break until after wall commits? if this had hit two weeks ago would he be coming to duke right now?

miramar
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
"ncaa chased kelvin to OSU"

ok, i meant IU.

It seems that IU has returned to form by getting rid of Sampson, and that KU has returned to form by hiring Calipari.

HK Dukie
05-28-2009, 11:38 PM
You know I really really wanted Coach K to land John Wall. He seems like a good kid and is very eloquent if you listen to his You-tube videos.

However, this whole mess with Calipari has changed my mind somewhat. I am just not sure, in retrospect only, and without any knowledge of the real circumstances and just as a fan, if it was really necessary to have signed Wall. Maybe I am just being too risk averse but I don't want a potential season vacated. Wall was heavily recruited and there was intense pressure put on him. If there was even a 1% chance of something happening I am not sure it is worth it for our university.

All that said, and it is not rumor mongering (just my opinion based on the facts at hand), I do think Wall is a good kid and actually very intelligent. I'm just breathing a belated sigh of relief. I'm just stating what I know many of you out there are thinking. That's all.

johaad
05-28-2009, 11:41 PM
It seems that IU has returned to form by getting rid of Sampson, and that KU has returned to form by hiring Calipari.

Kansas hired Calipari! lol:)

Lulu
05-29-2009, 01:20 AM
So DBR's headline on the main page say that these violations could "wreck two programs" and "bring down a coach" and A.D.

Is this considerably overstated? I'd like to believe that such things are possible, but I just don't get the sense that much is really going to happen in the end when I'm reading the articles over at ESPN and the like.

All of this actually just makes me very sad about the current state of college basketball. Kentucky's attitude (as reported) might say it all.

whereinthehellami
05-29-2009, 08:32 AM
This news about Memphis is the antithesis of a suprise. Its more of a suprise that the dolt that is the NCAA even bothers to headline these infractions anymore. Its only a matter of time before KY is smoking like Snoop Dog after payday.

miramar
05-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Kansas hired Calipari! lol:)

I admit it--I get confused by the UK/KU tandem, not to mention the two USC's, the two orange-clad UT's, and all those Loyolas. I think that's why I stopped betting...

sagegrouse
05-29-2009, 11:11 AM
I admit it--I get confused by the UK/KU tandem, not to mention the two USC's, the two orange-clad UT's, and all those Loyolas. I think that's why I stopped betting...

Not to mention a green and red version of OU plus two orange OSU's. The only way the two UW's are kept separate is that the purple version out West seems to be known mostly as UDub, which I have never heard applied to the red team in Madison WI.

sagegrouse
'Originally known as "Blue Grouse" until the American Ornithologist's Union eradicated the species name by splitting the aforementioned bird into Dusky Grouse and Sooty Grouse. I opted for a new sobriquet instead. As one birder's wife I know says, "Some bird species names are so dumb they could only have been selected by a man."'

BD80
05-29-2009, 11:13 AM
It gets better (worse?):

The Chicago Sun-Times reported Thursday that someone with access to Rose’s academic records at Simeon High School changed a D to a C on his transcript. The newspaper reported that Rose was one of four athletes at the school whose grades were boosted for a one-month period after their June 2007 graduation and then changed back after the bogus transcripts were sent to colleges.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-ncaa-memphis&prov=ap&type=lgns

Rose isn't denying the allegations, but had his attorney say:

“Mr. Rose cooperated fully with the University of Memphis’ athletic and legal departments’ investigation of this issue when he was a student and that investigation uncovered no wrong-doing on his part ... Neither Mr. Rose nor I will have further comment.”

Boy, was he the perfect point guard for Calipari!

How does a coach NOT know about this type of situation with his STAR, PROGRAM DEFINING recruit? Grades too low, but change for the better? Three substandard SAT scores and then sudden success? This is supposedly a guy that is good with details. These details were critical to Rose playing at Memphis. But since these details implicate Coach Cal, he suddenly was not involved and had no knowledge? Horse Hockey.

Cal should get sanctioned and be accompanied 24/7 by an NCAA investigator.

UrinalCake
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
So this whole mess got me thinking about the allegations against Corey Maggette back in 1999. Supposedly he received money from someone while in high school, but this was before he got to Duke, and Duke claimed no knowledge of it. In fact he had been required to sign a statement before arriving at Duke that he had not committed any violations (as all incoming players do).

So in light of that, I think there is a (very remote) possibility that Calipari and Memphis really didn't know about these things that occured in high school. If that is the case, they shouldn't be held responsible any more than Duke should have been. Again I think this possibility is very remote, especially when coupled with the surrounding allegations involving Rose's brother; but I do think we should reserve judgement until all the facts are known.

Saratoga2
05-29-2009, 12:09 PM
So this whole mess got me thinking about the allegations against Corey Maggette back in 1999. Supposedly he received money from someone while in high school, but this was before he got to Duke, and Duke claimed no knowledge of it. In fact he had been required to sign a statement before arriving at Duke that he had not committed any violations (as all incoming players do).

So in light of that, I think there is a (very remote) possibility that Calipari and Memphis really didn't know about these things that occured in high school. If that is the case, they shouldn't be held responsible any more than Duke should have been. Again I think this possibility is very remote, especially when coupled with the surrounding allegations involving Rose's brother; but I do think we should reserve judgement until all the facts are known.

I have the same sentiment as you but did notice the claim made that the NCAA had absolved Calipari of wrong doing is just not accurate. The NCAA does not absolve anyone or make those kinds of statements during an ongoing investigation. Time will tell if there is more.

moonpie23
05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
but I do think we should reserve judgement until all the facts are known.

and when they ARE? then what?

SilkyJ
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
The worst about all of this, at least for me, is this isn't even THAT big of a deal compared to what most us think calipari has done in his time. How many envelopes stuffed full of cash do you think he has delivered or helped deliver. Giving a player's brother a few plane rides pales in comparison to that.

Now the SAT thing is different, but I think its going to be 1000 times harder to pin that on him than the plane rides. How can Calipari NOT have known about the plane rides? Was he not on them?

crimsonandblue
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
The worst about all of this, at least for me, is this isn't even THAT big of a deal compared to what most us think calipari has done in his time. How many envelopes stuffed full of cash do you think he has delivered or helped deliver. Giving a player's brother a few plane rides pales in comparison to that.

Now the SAT thing is different, but I think its going to be 1000 times harder to pin that on him than the plane rides. How can Calipari NOT have known about the plane rides? Was he not on them?

Apparently, the plane rides themselves may not be the problem (although one story noted that coaches asked uniformly thought it was impermissible). What Memphis appears to have fouled up is in not collecting money for each such flight. Ostensibly, Reggie Rose flew a bunch of times on the team charter. He reimbursed the university for some flights and not others.

So, Cal's out is, "Don't look at me. I thought he was a paying customer of Memphis Air. Talk to the business office that didn't always collect the fare."

BD80
05-29-2009, 12:55 PM
So this whole mess got me thinking about the allegations against Corey Maggette back in 1999. ... Duke claimed no knowledge of it. ...

So in light of that, I think there is a (very remote) possibility that Calipari and Memphis really didn't know about these things that occurred in high school. If that is the case, they shouldn't be held responsible any more than Duke should have been. ...

Very different circumstances. The AAU team activities occurred before Maggette was on Duke's radar. More important, Duke had no reason to know of or suspect the activities.

On the other hand, Memphis had the OBLIGATION to monitor Rose's academics and SAT progress as part of his academic eligibility. This is particularly true where he had thrice attempted to obtain qualifying scores on the SAT, and thrice failed.

Calipari is responsible for monitoring the progress of the incoming student athletes. If there was fraud in the SAT test or the high school transcript, Cal should be punished for not catching it. He should also be investigated, and if he had any part in the fraud or knowledge of the fraud - be banned for five years and have to petition for reinstatement after 5 years.

sagegrouse
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe.

Part of the allegations have to do with a player (presumably Derrick Rose) cheating on the SAT and having grades changed in high school. Both apparently necessary to ensure eligibility in college. Hard to see how Calipari could be seriously implicated here. Does anyone think that Calipari pesonally found someone to sit in for Derrick on the SAT? Surely, Derrick could have arranged for that himself.

The other allegations are that Derrick's brother Reggie flew on the chartered team plane to Memphis games without reimbursing the University, which is described as an "oversight," since he did reimburse Memphis for some of his trips. First of all, this is mind-blowing. Player relatives on the team plane? Has to involve multiple NCAA violations. I never heard of this, although I am hardly on the inside of big-time college athletics (or even small-time college athletics).

IMHO (with the grouse the "H" is usually silent) however, this is an athletic department issue, not a Calipari issue. The athletic department charters (or owns) the airplane and handles the business end of the operation. Unless Calipari can be shown to have disobeyed AD directives, etc., I suspect he will walk free on this issue as well.

Kelvin Sampson's problems were that violations at OU and IU involved his own personal cell phone and assistants that reported directly to him. There was no question whether it was the university's fault or his own.

sagegrouse

crimsonandblue
05-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Very different circumstances. The AAU team activities occurred before Maggette was on Duke's radar. More important, Duke had no reason to know of or suspect the activities.

On the other hand, Memphis had the OBLIGATION to monitor Rose's academics and SAT progress as part of his academic eligibility. This is particularly true where he had thrice attempted to obtain qualifying scores on the SAT, and thrice failed.

Calipari is responsible for monitoring the progress of the incoming student athletes. If there was fraud in the SAT test or the high school transcript, Cal should be punished for not catching it. He should also be investigated, and if he had any part in the fraud or knowledge of the fraud - be banned for five years and have to petition for reinstatement after 5 years.

Hyperbole much? This is just silly. College coaches aren't responsible for "catching" academic misconduct on SAT tests or in high school grades. The university sets standards for acceptable transcripts and the clearinghouse establishes eligibility standards for athletes. The coaches somewhat facilitate the process and, in conjunction with the athletic department, certainly attempt to assist with any inquiries from the university admissions department or the clearinghouse, but it's not the coach's job to "catch" high school grade shenanigans or SAT cheating. Unless the coach has knowledge of some impropriety (and willful blindness would constitute knowledge), there's absolutely no reason to punish a coach for the cheating pre-admission.

moonpie23
05-29-2009, 01:36 PM
this hole aint dug near deep enuff yet.....

miramar
05-29-2009, 01:59 PM
I suspect that for a lot of people at Kentucky, the important thing is that the incoming class is already considered one of the best ever. Jason King ranks them in the top five all time, along with UCLA 1965, Michigan 1991, Duke 1999, and Carolina 2006:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-tophoopsclasses052909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

tommy
05-29-2009, 03:06 PM
You know I really really wanted Coach K to land John Wall. He seems like a good kid and is very eloquent if you listen to his You-tube videos.

However, this whole mess with Calipari has changed my mind somewhat. I am just not sure, in retrospect only, and without any knowledge of the real circumstances and just as a fan, if it was really necessary to have signed Wall. Maybe I am just being too risk averse but I don't want a potential season vacated. Wall was heavily recruited and there was intense pressure put on him. If there was even a 1% chance of something happening I am not sure it is worth it for our university.

All that said, and it is not rumor mongering (just my opinion based on the facts at hand), I do think Wall is a good kid and actually very intelligent. I'm just breathing a belated sigh of relief. I'm just stating what I know many of you out there are thinking. That's all.

I don't think many of us out here are thinking that at all. I don't think many posters here have any reason whatsoever to suspect that Duke, in its recruitment of Wall, was involved in any way in any kind of conduct that could result in having a season "vacated." Why would anyone think that? Duke and Coach K have absolutely no record of any recruiting violations or anything close to one. You really think in going after Wall, our staff would be so desperate to do things like pay him or his family, somehow get his grades changed, or anything like that?

While some here had concerns about Wall's character, founded or unfounded, causing them to want Duke to back off the Wall recruitment, that is far different than suspecting that Duke or the coaching staff might have become involved in illegal recruiting activities.

What I suspect a number of posters might actually be thinking, but not wanting to air, is whether if these new allegations turn into a full-blown scandal and Kentucky can no longer keep its head in the sand and lie and deny about their knowledge, if Wall would at that point reconsider his commitment to UK and look to Duke. Don't tell me THAT isn't on some of your minds out there!

Kewlswim
05-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't think many of us out here are thinking that at all. I don't think many posters here have any reason whatsoever to suspect that Duke, in its recruitment of Wall, was involved in any way in any kind of conduct that could result in having a season "vacated." Why would anyone think that? Duke and Coach K have absolutely no record of any recruiting violations or anything close to one. You really think in going after Wall, our staff would be so desperate to do things like pay him or his family, somehow get his grades changed, or anything like that?

While some here had concerns about Wall's character, founded or unfounded, causing them to want Duke to back off the Wall recruitment, that is far different than suspecting that Duke or the coaching staff might have become involved in illegal recruiting activities.

What I suspect a number of posters might actually be thinking, but not wanting to air, is whether if these new allegations turn into a full-blown scandal and Kentucky can no longer keep its head in the sand and lie and deny about their knowledge, if Wall would at that point reconsider his commitment to UK and look to Duke. Don't tell me THAT isn't on some of your minds out there!

Hi,

If John Wall wants to see the light and done a proper shade of blue uniform next year, there are scholarships available. I don't think the coaching staff would refuse his services. Given what is going on in Lexington right now maybe I would want out too. What is wrong with that? Why are you making it sound like there would be something wrong with a Duke fan wanting a good player to come play for his/her school?

GO DUKE!