PDA

View Full Version : All things Dahntay...

houstondukie
05-09-2009, 05:22 PM
So sick I thought it deserves it's own thread.

...that is all i have to say about that.

Poincaré
05-09-2009, 05:45 PM
It gave me flashbacks to that called off dunk he had in the Maui Invitational where his upper body was parallel with the ground. I miss that Dahntay. Didn't Coach K say that Dahntay was the most athletic player he had ever had?

arnie
05-09-2009, 05:47 PM
It gave me flashbacks to that called off dunk he had in the Maui Invitational where his upper body was parallel with the ground. I miss that Dahntay. Didn't Coach K say that Dahntay was the most athletic player he had ever had?

When I saw him drive across the lane, I assumed he would pull up or try some acrobatic shot - I guess the defender though the same!

BlueintheFace
05-09-2009, 07:03 PM

The one where he jumped over the guy and K laughed while doing a Jones imitation on the sideline? I've been looking for video of that for years. No such luck.

DukieBoy
05-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Here's a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLMX5U0pcFA) to the dunk. Was watching it live and thought the same thing (pull up for a shot) when he just dunked it right on Dampier. He was so high, his forearms hit the rim when he dunked it. Wow.

juise
05-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Apparently, Dampier didn't learn the first time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40X3_EnWO9g&feature=related).

Notthatguy
05-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Does this REMIND anyone of Phil over Alonzo? It did for me.

Duke #33
05-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zD0gc4_vkA&feature=fvst. That was quick and powerful.

Tom B.
05-22-2009, 10:57 AM
I think this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8&feature=related) will always be my favorite.

roywhite
05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Speaking of Dahntay and the Nuggets, who got the tattoo contract for that team? They musta made a fortune! :)

Chard
05-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Lot of ink on that team. My fav is the Birdman.

DukieBoy
05-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I think this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8&feature=related) will always be my favorite.

The dunk itself was pretty good, but the push-ups after were my favorite part.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-23-2009, 07:38 PM
The one where he jumped over the guy and K laughed while doing a Jones imitation on the sideline? I've been looking for video of that for years. No such luck.
I believe you are looking for a Mike Dunleavy highlight and not a DJ move. :cool:

Duke84Blue
05-23-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2009/05/trenton_native_dahntay_jones_d.html

Front page article in this morning's (Newark, NJ) Star-Ledger. Fine read about Jones' journey to where he is today and his role as a defensive stopper.

johaad
05-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Dahntay just did it again! He threw down a sick windmill! It was awesome.

Duke #33
05-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Dahntay just did it again! He threw down a sick windmill! It was awesome.

Yes! I was watching that play too. Off of the tipped rebound, someone through a ball up to Dahntay and then he threw down a nasty windmill. I have replayed that play at least five fimes now on my tivo. It even forced LA to call a timeout.

Namtilal
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAiu9LXO6A&feature=related

Nice dunk, not really on Yao as he was totally out of position, but the commentary is great! Not sure what he's saying, but I'm feeling it.

umdukie
05-25-2009, 11:10 PM
Dahntay just made a really dirty play and tripped Kobe Bryant. It really upsets me when a former Duke player does something like that. He should really know better.:(

moonpie23
05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
he's also being called out on TWO very "un-sportsmanlike" (dirty) plays. Pushing Kobe in the back and then deliberately tripping kobe were dirty plays. I love DJ, but man, he's gotta know that is just un-cool...

he doesn't need to do that crap...

SupaDave
05-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Try checking Kobe Bryant and your opinion of a lot of things will change...

Jim3k
05-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Denver won by 19; Jones's play must have been worth it. He only got called for 2 personals. Bryant only hit 2 of 10 3pt attempts.

Lightz
05-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Here was tonight's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QuSZqvwpxk

Kewlswim
05-26-2009, 04:18 AM
he's also being called out on TWO very "un-sportsmanlike" (dirty) plays. Pushing Kobe in the back and then deliberately tripping kobe were dirty plays. I love DJ, but man, he's gotta know that is just un-cool...

he doesn't need to do that crap...

I love Dahntay (as I do other Duke graduates), but he should be suspended a game for tripping Kobe. That was bush league at best. I don't think for a second he didn't know what he was doing.

Jones knock it off!! You are talented, use your talent. :-(

GO DUKE!!

mcdukie
05-26-2009, 07:18 AM
Very surprised at Dahntay for tripping Kobe. He needs to man up on that one and admit he got caught up so that he doesn't look any worse.

weezie
05-26-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah, the pushing wasn't hard or fierce, kind of like Dahntay realized he would be tossed and slightly pulled back on it...plus Nene seemed to hold Kobe from really being damaged, but the tripping was bad, bad. D Jones did not learn that at Duke. :(

Billy Dat
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
If Dahntay ever admitted that he tripped Kobe on purpose, he might be looking at a suspension so he should keep his mouth shut.

That being said, I found both the push and the trip to be ridiculously bush league and agree with the sentiments of others that he doesn't need to resort to that cheap garbage. He's playing very well otherwise, he doesn't need to do that kind of stuff.

SupaDave
05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Some of you need to look at the overall picture. I don't necessarily think that Dahntay WANTED to trip up Kobe but there has been an edict to stop Kobe at all costs direct from the coaching staff.

Not to mention it appears that the entire Nuggets team is playing with that same chippy attitude as evidenced by K-Mart trying to break Gasol's arm last night.

Honestly the games have a huge amount of football energy to them. Kobe has already had to get an IV and I'm not sure how many of you have ever tried posting people up and then running the length of the court but it's about as tiring as you can get.

What I saw was a DB getting beat on a pass and trying to trip the WR - which is illegal in football too but is also a measure of the desperation at which Dahntay is putting his defense on the line.

I doubt he will get in any trouble with the organization and based on that towel over his head he knows that he lost it for a minute there.

johaad
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I stepped away from the game when this happened. The only video I can find of it is very blurry. To me, it looks like he MAY just have been trying to catch up to Kobe and then Kobe hit his shoe. I can't say for sure yet though because of the extreme blurryness of the video.

EDIT: Nevermind, I just saw an HD video of it. I now unfortunately believe it was dirty. I just hope it was a "heat of the moment" type of thing. Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6BWYMjTs3c

Owen Meany
05-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Very surprised at Dahntay for tripping Kobe.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised. Although I never saw it mentioned on DBR before, Jones actually created some controversy earlier this year for tripping a Suns player who had crossed him over and passed him on his way to a game winning shot. The Suns players were angry after the game (the refs missed the call). Terry Porter stated that "Jones had tripped guys three or four times prior to that play. ... our referees are some of the best in the world, they should know guys' tendencies and what they do." The Suns sent video to the league office. The player who was tripped commented that "that's how he (Jones) plays. Oh yeah, the player in question was Grant Hill. And Phoenix isn't the only team with a problem with Jones either, FWIW.

I agree with Hill - that is how Jones plays. He is chippy and always in danger of "crossing the line". He often did things that made me cringe as a Duke fan - such as the push ups over the fallen Virgina player that some fans seem to remember fondly. I was always surprised that Coach K allowed some of Jone's behavior. Its a shame because he was a really good player and seemed very well-spoken and likable off the court. But I was always afraid that he was going to do something that would turn really bad and that it would amp up the "Duke hate" even more. I wish him luck and am glad he's found his niche in the NBA - but I hope he gets called out for this and any other dirty play he commits, just as I do for any other player.

johaad
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately, I am not surprised. Although I never saw it mentioned on DBR before, Jones actually created some controversy earlier this year for tripping a Suns player who had crossed him over and passed him on his way to a game winning shot. The Suns players were angry after the game (the refs missed the call). Terry Porter stated that "Jones had tripped guys three or four times prior to that play. ... our referees are some of the best in the world, they should know guys' tendencies and what they do." The Suns sent video to the league office. The player who was tripped commented that "that's how he (Jones) plays. Oh yeah, the player in question was Grant Hill. And Phoenix isn't the only team with a problem with Jones either, FWIW.

I agree with Hill - that is how Jones plays. He is chippy and always in danger of "crossing the line". He often did things that made me cringe as a Duke fan - such as the push ups over the fallen Virgina player that some fans seem to remember fondly. I was always surprised that Coach K allowed some of Jone's behavior. Its a shame because he was a really good player and seemed very well-spoken and likable off the court. But I was always afraid that he was going to do something that would turn really bad and that it would amp up the "Duke hate" even more. I wish him luck and am glad he's found his niche in the NBA - but I hope he gets called out for this and any other dirty play he commits, just as I do for any other player.

I'm not saying that you are fabricating this story but I can only say what I have found. I have not seen anywhere that Hill says "this is how he plays" or something like that. I do know the play you speak of. That to me, was not a dirty play. It was more of a "wrong place wrong time" type of thing. Here is a link to that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zxhgxfSyg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnba%2Efanhouse%2Ecom%2F2009%2F01 %2F16%2Fgrant%2Dhill%2Dsays%2Drefs%2Dblew%2Dthe%2D call%2Dat%2Dthe%2Dend%2Dof%2Dregulation%2Din%2F&feature=player_embedded

Owen Meany
05-26-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm not saying that you are fabricating this story but I can only say what I have found. I have not seen anywhere that Hill says "this is how he plays" or something like that. I do know the play you speak of. That to me, was not a dirty play. It was more of a "wrong place wrong time" type of thing. Here is a link to that video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zxhgxfSyg&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fnba%2Efanhouse%2Ecom%2F2009%2F01 %2F16%2Fgrant%2Dhill%2Dsays%2Drefs%2Dblew%2Dthe%2D call%2Dat%2Dthe%2Dend%2Dof%2Dregulation%2Din%2F&feature=player_embedded

The play worked. Forward Grant Hill had Denver's Dahntay Jones isolated and put a crossover dribble on him that turned him around as Hill passed him. The NBA office will see that, too, because the Suns are sending league video to point out what happened next. Jones stuck his right foot in front of Hill's left foot, tripping him. Suns coach Terry Porter said Jones had done it at other times in the game.

"That's how he plays," Hill said of Jones.

Hill got a shot off as he banged into Nuggets center Nene, but it had no chance once he fell, leaving the score tied and leading to Phoenix's 119-113 overtime loss.

"They blew the call," said Hill, who had a season-high 25 points and added eight rebounds. "I got fouled. I got tripped. And I got hit by Nene. The trip was pretty obvious. You'd think one of the officials out there would have the angle. I know not everyone can see the play, but there were three seconds left. It was tough, hard-fought game and you put yourself in position to win. I have the ball and got a chance to get to the basket, and I get tripped. It's not like I'm going to just fall."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/13026558

This is from an article that defends the refs for not making the call
"The play in question happens about 25 seconds into this clip, where you can see Dahntay Jones subtly use his right leg to knock Hill off balance once he leaves his feet to take the shot attempt.

Looking at the replay (multiple times), Jones absolutely stuck that right leg out and sort of upended Hill as he went to the basket. And sure, as Hill said, there was contact from Nene once he was in the air. But should he have gotten the call?"

I appreciate the video, but the quality is so poor that I am unable to see Jones leg with any clarity. What I do see is Hill clearly beating Jones with the crossover, heading for the rim, Jones sliding up beside Hill, then Hill falling for no apparent reason. I also see Jones pulling his arms down to his sides - classic Jones "I didn't do anything" gesture that I saw many times while he was at Duke.

For me, its pretty simple - this fits Jones M.O. (or his tendencies, as Porter put it), so he has lost the benefit of the doubt. Hill, on the other hand, is not one to make baseless claims and call out people for being dirty (which he did with his "that's how he plays" comment). I will trust Hill on this one. And the other comments I read that Jones tripped Hill, presumably from others who saw tv footage, which is much clearer than youtube footage. The comments from Hill and Porter weren't brief, throw away comments either. Porter stated that Jones had done it several times in that game and that he was sending footage to the league (I realize nothing was done - as Porter said "They'll review it, but I don't know that in the history of the NBA they've ever taken a call back,").

I could be mistaken. Its possible he was unfairly accused of tripping Hill. If so, its an incredible coincidence that he got caught blatantly doing the exact same thing yesterday against Kobe. To me. the only thing out of character for Jones was that he was so blatant with this trip. As with any player, he obviously tries to be subtle with his chippy behavior - then its harder to pin him down for plays like those on the Suns game. But I think it fits a pattern of behavior that I first saw at Duke - which I hate to admit. I have fond memories of his time at Duke (like when he came a fraction of a second from a Jeff Capel-like half court heave of either tieing or beating unc at the Dean Dome). But I felt his sportsmanship left a lot to be desired. If he were not a Duke player I feel that he would be one of the more disliked players on this board, and not because of how good he is.

johaad
05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
I appreciate you finding that quote. I completely understand where you are coming from but I still have to disagree. To me, DJ isn't dirty. He is a tough defender. I do believe that last night's kobe trip was a dirty play. I do not (from what I can see in the blurry video and my recollection) believe the Suns play was dirty. But just because a player has one dirty play, doesn't mean he is a dirty player. I don't recall any dirty plays at Duke. I know some point to the push ups after the dunk. In my mind, that was (and is) Dahntay's swagger. He is a somewhat cocky player (not overly cocky though). He is probably the least cocky player on the Nuggets. I will never believe that the Grant Hill play was intentional. Now, the Kobe play, I think is him getting caught up in the moment and trying to intentionally stop Kobe. I think it was a mistake and somewhat dirty, but not one that is worth us comparing him to the NBA's dirty players (ex: Laimbeer, Bowen, etc.)

SupaDave
05-26-2009, 11:27 AM
When it comes to the NBA's tough defenders - Dahntay is pretty average. There is grabbing, pulling, and pushing the entire game...

johaad
05-26-2009, 11:30 AM
When it comes to the NBA's tough defenders - Dahntay is pretty average. There is grabbing, pulling, and pushing the entire game...

Sure, he's no Shane Battier, but he does hold his own. And he seems to do a good job of getting in people's heads.

ojaidave
05-26-2009, 11:40 AM
The play worked. Forward Grant Hill had Denver's Dahntay Jones isolated and put a crossover dribble on him that turned him around as Hill passed him. The NBA office will see that, too, because the Suns are sending league video to point out what happened next. Jones stuck his right foot in front of Hill's left foot, tripping him. Suns coach Terry Porter said Jones had done it at other times in the game.

"That's how he plays," Hill said of Jones.

Hill got a shot off as he banged into Nuggets center Nene, but it had no chance once he fell, leaving the score tied and leading to Phoenix's 119-113 overtime loss.

"They blew the call," said Hill, who had a season-high 25 points and added eight rebounds. "I got fouled. I got tripped. And I got hit by Nene. The trip was pretty obvious. You'd think one of the officials out there would have the angle. I know not everyone can see the play, but there were three seconds left. It was tough, hard-fought game and you put yourself in position to win. I have the ball and got a chance to get to the basket, and I get tripped. It's not like I'm going to just fall."

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/13026558

This is from an article that defends the refs for not making the call
"The play in question happens about 25 seconds into this clip, where you can see Dahntay Jones subtly use his right leg to knock Hill off balance once he leaves his feet to take the shot attempt.

Looking at the replay (multiple times), Jones absolutely stuck that right leg out and sort of upended Hill as he went to the basket. And sure, as Hill said, there was contact from Nene once he was in the air. But should he have gotten the call?"

I appreciate the video, but the quality is so poor that I am unable to see Jones leg with any clarity. What I do see is Hill clearly beating Jones with the crossover, heading for the rim, Jones sliding up beside Hill, then Hill falling for no apparent reason. I also see Jones pulling his arms down to his sides - classic Jones "I didn't do anything" gesture that I saw many times while he was at Duke.

For me, its pretty simple - this fits Jones M.O. (or his tendencies, as Porter put it), so he has lost the benefit of the doubt. Hill, on the other hand, is not one to make baseless claims and call out people for being dirty (which he did with his "that's how he plays" comment). I will trust Hill on this one. And the other comments I read that Jones tripped Hill, presumably from others who saw tv footage, which is much clearer than youtube footage. The comments from Hill and Porter weren't brief, throw away comments either. Porter stated that Jones had done it several times in that game and that he was sending footage to the league (I realize nothing was done - as Porter said "They'll review it, but I don't know that in the history of the NBA they've ever taken a call back,").

I could be mistaken. Its possible he was unfairly accused of tripping Hill. If so, its an incredible coincidence that he got caught blatantly doing the exact same thing yesterday against Kobe. To me. the only thing out of character for Jones was that he was so blatant with this trip. As with any player, he obviously tries to be subtle with his chippy behavior - then its harder to pin him down for plays like those on the Suns game. But I think it fits a pattern of behavior that I first saw at Duke - which I hate to admit. I have fond memories of his time at Duke (like when he came a fraction of a second from a Jeff Capel-like half court heave of either tieing or beating unc at the Dean Dome). But I felt his sportsmanship left a lot to be desired. If he were not a Duke player I feel that he would be one of the more disliked players on this board, and not because of how good he is.

Well stated, I agree with this. To say that Jones was just following orders or that this occurred in heat of the moment - both of which could be absolutely true- ignores the real possibility that Jones could have injured Kobe. This isn't a typical post season hard foul. Tripping, in my opinion, is similar to undercutting or pushing a player when they are in the air. You are intentionally taking their feet out from under them and forcing an uncontrolled impact with the court. While hurting Kobe likely wasn't Jones' intent, it is a foreseeable consequence. Dahntay should sit the next game out, and if were to happen again (in a manner as obviously intentional as this was), he should be suspend for a much longer duration. It is in the league's best interest to try and prevent players from getting tossed around the court, regardless of the particular game's importance.

SilkyJ
05-26-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm with supadave mostly on this one and I think a lot of people are overreacting to this tripping incident. Tripping someone is a last resort to stop them if you can't get your hands on them. Punching someone in the balls is dirty. Tripping them is a foul, its not dirty. And its not suspension worthy either. Thats ridiculous. If the refs want to call an intentional foul then fine. Its a foul and its intentional. But this is the playoffs folks and people are here to win so get used to seeing scrapping, clawing, tripping, fish hooking and eye-gouging.

You think Coach K doesn't tell our players in a physical game to use their elbows to make some space down low when boxing out? You think he doesn't teach Jon to give who ever he is chasing's jersey a nice tug to slow him down a fraction of a second as he goes around a screen? Those things aren't legal, but they are things you learn when you are a kid: the little things to help your team win. I can't remember the last time I marked someone in soccer and didn't have a fistful of jersey in my hands at all time. Now the tripping is more blatant, but you're here to win and its not like he's trying to hurt the guy, just keep him from scoring.

When I played sweeper in soccer and some guy was on a breakaway and had me beat, you can bet your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. I was taking him down before he got to the box. Period. Better to get a yellowcard than give up a goal...

Or maybe as I heard Brett Hull say one time: if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.

I love Dahntay (as I do other Duke graduates), but he should be suspended a game for tripping Kobe.

SupaDave
05-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Somewhere - the "Kobe Stopper" is wondering why he never thought of tripping the man formerly known as "KB8"...

FerryFor50
05-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Personally, I'm all for anything that prevents Kobe from going to the finals. :D

FerryFor50
05-26-2009, 04:02 PM
On a side note, I think it's hilarious that Phil Jackson is complaining about dirty tactics against one of the dirtiest players in the league.

Doesn't anyone believe in tit for tat anymore?

tbyers11
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm with supadave mostly on this one and I think a lot of people are overreacting to this tripping incident. Tripping someone is a last resort to stop them if you can't get your hands on them. Punching someone in the balls is dirty. Tripping them is a foul, its not dirty. And its not suspension worthy either. Thats ridiculous. If the refs want to call an intentional foul then fine. Its a foul and its intentional. But this is the playoffs folks and people are here to win so get used to seeing scrapping, clawing, tripping, fish hooking and eye-gouging.

I'm with the camp that Dahntay's trip is being blown a bit out of proportion. It should have been a foul if the refs had seen it, but I don't think it is even close to as dirty as an undercut or an elbow directed at the head. I don't think he should be suspended, but with the bar for suspension-worthy incidents being set very low in this year's playoffs (see Derek Fisher and Rafer Alston) it wouldn't surprise me to see him suspended.

All this hoopla made me think of an incident from one of the greatest playoff games ever during the Golden Age (early 80's) of the NBA. Check out Kevin McHale's clothesline of Kurt Rambis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ) on a breakaway in Game 4 of the 1984 NBA finals. McHale was not suspended, ejected or even assessed a technical for that play. He simply got a personal. That illustrates a big difference in how the game is called now and then.

EDIT: ESPN's Marc Stein (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4207241) seems to think that Dahntay may not be suspended solely because of the trip but due to an accumulation of flagrant foul points if the trip is upgraded to a Flagrant 1 foul. He already has 2 flagrant foul points in the playoffs (a Flagrant 1 = 1 point and a Flagrant 2 = 2 points) and a total of 3 points warrants a one game suspension.

SupaDave
05-26-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm with the camp that Dahntay's trip is being blown a bit out of proportion. It should have been a foul if the refs had seen it, but I don't think it is even close to as dirty as an undercut or an elbow directed at the head. I don't think he should be suspended, but with the bar for suspension-worthy incidents being set very low in this year's playoffs (see Derek Fisher and Rafer Alston) it wouldn't surprise me to see him suspended.

All this hoopla made me think of an incident from one of the greatest playoff games ever during the Golden Age (early 80's) of the NBA. Check out Kevin McHale's clothesline of Kurt Rambis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7r6vXeOfyQ) on a breakaway in Game 4 of the 1984 NBA finals. McHale was not suspended, ejected or even assessed a technical for that play. He simply got a personal. That illustrates a big difference in how the game is called now and then.

EDIT: ESPN's Marc Stein (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4207241) seems to think that Dahntay may not be suspended solely because of the trip but due to an accumulation of flagrant foul points if the trip is upgraded to a Flagrant 1 foul. He already has 2 flagrant foul points in the playoffs (a Flagrant 1 = 1 point and a Flagrant 2 = 2 points) and a total of 3 points warrants a one game suspension.

Excellent post.

In reality you could just post a clip up of Rick Mahorn's whole career and you would get the picture...

SupaDave
05-26-2009, 08:18 PM
And there you have it!! George Karl says "we're not gonna tell Dahntay to stop playing"...

Supa "just might know this game a little bit" Dave...

Acymetric
05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
For some reason I'm actually more excited about tomorrow's game than tonight's...possibly a combination of a bigger role (even if its a role some point don't like) for a Duke player and the fact that I like watching Kobe more than watching Lebron.

Plus, even though I'll be pulling for the Nuggets, I expect and look forward to a huge game from Kobe.

mapei
05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
The fact that Dahntay is being compared to Rick Mahorn pretty much says it all. If that's what you like about basketball, we like very different things. The fact that the guy went to Duke for a couple of years doesn't change that.

I find the Nuggets (other than Billups) really, really hard to root for. And that goes for their coach, too. I hope one of the other three teams crushes them. If not the Lakers, then the next one in line.

devilirium
05-26-2009, 09:51 PM
No dirty plays while at Duke? Ask Jason Clark. I think the Felton was kinda borderline--Dahntay wasn't looking and just wheeled around without much control. I think CP3 was a dirtier player------but I know for a fact that after the Felton episode that the episodes involving dirty play all but vanished. K had a talk with Jones about it, and he did a good job of leading Duke in the tourney. The pushups don't bother me as much, although he would've received a T for taunting these days for that.

Owen Meany
05-26-2009, 11:08 PM
From Mark Stein ESPN

NBA upgrades trip to flagrant foul

Denver Nuggets guard Dahntay Jones is on the brink of a one-game suspension after the NBA upgraded his Game 4 trip of Kobe Bryant to a flagrant foul.

The foul -- deemed a flagrant foul 1 by league officials -- is Jones' third flagrant of the postseason and his second in the past two games in the Western Conference finals. That gives Jones three flagrant-foul points in the playoffs, with players receiving an automatic one-game ban when they exceed three points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4207241

SupaDave
05-27-2009, 07:56 AM
From Mark Stein ESPN

NBA upgrades trip to flagrant foul

Denver Nuggets guard Dahntay Jones is on the brink of a one-game suspension after the NBA upgraded his Game 4 trip of Kobe Bryant to a flagrant foul.

The foul -- deemed a flagrant foul 1 by league officials -- is Jones' third flagrant of the postseason and his second in the past two games in the Western Conference finals. That gives Jones three flagrant-foul points in the playoffs, with players receiving an automatic one-game ban when they exceed three points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4207241

Sounds like KB24 is about to get busy...

weezie
05-27-2009, 08:10 AM
you could just post a clip up of Rick Mahorn's whole career and you would get the picture...

Sweet Ricky Mahorn? The man knew how to wear those old short shorts, for sure. Pulling out the chair seems kind of quaint nowadays ;)

bjornolf
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
I was listening to Colin Cowherd this morning, and he was saying that Dahntay Jones got a flagrant foul called for tripping Kobe, and he was lucky it wasn't more. He said it wasn't really "dirty" cause it didn't really endanger Kobe, but it was "cheap". He further said that the league may review the tape and suspend him, and that he's getting a reputation and had three flagrants in the playoffs. On First Take this morning, they showed Kobe saying he just thought it was good defense. I don't watch much NBA, so I'm asking the folks I go to for this, you guys. Has Dahntay become a cheap or dirty player in the NBA, or are these "experts" full of crap?

-Joe

allenmurray
05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Kobe seemed less concerned by it than any of the commentators. Remember, they get paid to talk - therefore there must be something to talk about.

johaad
05-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I was listening to Colin Cowherd this morning, and he was saying that Dahntay Jones got a flagrant foul called for tripping Kobe, and he was lucky it wasn't more. He said it wasn't really "dirty" cause it didn't really endanger Kobe, but it was "cheap". He further said that the league may review the tape and suspend him, and that he's getting a reputation and had three flagrants in the playoffs. On First Take this morning, they showed Kobe saying he just thought it was good defense. I don't watch much NBA, so I'm asking the folks I go to for this, you guys. Has Dahntay become a cheap or dirty player in the NBA, or are these "experts" full of crap?

-Joe

The clip with Kobe saying it is good D, is more of a joke. Kobe was clearly biting his tongue. He knows how easy it is to get fined 25,000 by the NBA (Phil Jackson was fined that much for comments after the game). I still say that particular play was slightly dirty. I really believe that Dahntay was trying to stop Kobe by any means necessary. I don't think he wanted to trip him to hurt him, but more likely got caught up in the moment. I will say that many on this board have very different opinions on this play.

To sum up, I don't consider Dahntay a dirty player. I just think he made a mistake in one play. The other plays people point to are clearly not dirty or cheap, just intentional fouls. He is certainly not Bruce Bowen or Laimbeer-esque.

SupaDave
05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Thought I'd merge this threads...

SupaDave
05-27-2009, 03:25 PM
The fact that Dahntay is being compared to Rick Mahorn pretty much says it all. If that's what you like about basketball, we like very different things. The fact that the guy went to Duke for a couple of years doesn't change that.

I find the Nuggets (other than Billups) really, really hard to root for. And that goes for their coach, too. I hope one of the other three teams crushes them. If not the Lakers, then the next one in line.

You mean 19 NBA seasons, one NBA championship, still employed by the NBA Rick Mahorn? Yeah - I'm sure there's nothing to like there if you like your basketball hands off.

And there's many things to like about the Nuggs - Dahntay's re-birth, Smith's growth, Carmelo's maturation, Birdman's reclamation, Kenyon Martin being injury free, NeNe's cancer story, and that's like the only guys that play! Maybe you have an aversion to tattoos or something...

hq2
05-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I agree it's hard to like the Nuggets; too may 'toos and too thuggy. Nonetheless, I do admire their toughness, and Dahntay is definitely adding to that. He's actually lucky to be on a team where he doesn't have to score that much; he can just play D, run the floor and shoot layups and dunks. He can do that, anyway; doesn't have to rely too much on that (questionable) jumper.

GoingFor#5
05-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I think the trip was more out of frustration than anything. He looked over, saw that Kobe had beat him and was making a beeline for the bucket so he tripped him without thinking about it. It wasn't so much intentional; just a split second reaction in a moment of basketball panic. If he was able to reach out and grab Kobe like players do all the time, nothing would have been said, but he was only in position to reach his foot out. A flagrant foul is fair, but I don't think he's dirty because of it.

arnie
05-27-2009, 04:56 PM
You mean 19 NBA seasons, one NBA championship, still employed by the NBA Rick Mahorn? Yeah - I'm sure there's nothing to like there if you like your basketball hands off.

And there's many things to like about the Nuggs - Dahntay's re-birth, Smith's growth, Carmelo's maturation, Birdman's reclamation, Kenyon Martin being injury free, NeNe's cancer story, and that's like the only guys that play! Maybe you have an aversion to tattoos or something...

Thug coach coaching thug players (tatoos are irrelevant to this). However, I kind of enjoy it - particularly with King Jackson as the opposition. Just wish John Roche had kicked Karl a little harder.

Kewlswim
05-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi,

Flagrant 1, Flagrant 2, technical, accumulation of technical fouls, accumulation of flagrants...this reminds me of the National State of Emergency--what do those colors mean again?

I think Dahntay did wrong. Period. If I were the commish I would have suspended him because I don't like that style of play. However, people seem to like it. So, we have this system setup to make sure that nobody gets too out of hand, but it seems too arbitrary to me. Fouls are changed in severity, technicals are taken away, etc.

Let the refs, ref I guess. When does the NCAA season start again?

GO DUKE!

DukieBoy
05-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi,

Flagrant 1, Flagrant 2, technical, accumulation of technical fouls, accumulation of flagrants...this reminds me of the National State of Emergency--what do those colors mean again?

I think Dahntay did wrong. Period. If I were the commish I would have suspended him because I don't like that style of play. However, people seem to like it. So, we have this system setup to make sure that nobody gets too out of hand, but it seems too arbitrary to me. Fouls are changed in severity, technicals are taken away, etc.

Let the refs, ref I guess. When does the NCAA season start again?

GO DUKE!

Absolutely agreed. I'm both a big Lakers and Duke fan. However, I was irate when I saw this. I hate dirty players, and that was a flat out intentional trip.

SupaDave
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Absolutely agreed. I'm both a big Lakers and Duke fan. However, I was irate when I saw this. I hate dirty players, and that was a flat out intentional trip.

I think the article on the front page is a great. In the last couple of paragraphs you also get to see Dahntay's point of view on it all.

Newton_14
05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
I just think Dahntay is playing hard D. Defense is what got him back into the league and a big reason why the Nuggets are where they are. The trip was not that big of a deal to me. Like others said, it is commonplace in the NBA to reach out and grab a guy when beat to prevent an easy basket. It was an intentional foul, nothing more, nothing less, and it certainly was not an attempt to hurt anyone.

His role in this series is to get into Kobe's grill and harass the heck out of him. I think the whole thing is being overblown. This is nothing compared to the 80's brand of NBA Playoff basketball, when driving to the basket meant risking getting your head knocked off (just ask Rambis).

I do not like Karl but I am pulling for the Nuggets and hope to see a Magic/Nuggets Finals which will insure a Duke player getting a Championship..

johaad
05-27-2009, 11:46 PM
I just think Dahntay is playing hard D. Defense is what got him back into the league and a big reason why the Nuggets are where they are. The trip was not that big of a deal to me. Like others said, it is commonplace in the NBA to reach out and grab a guy when beat to prevent an easy basket. It was an intentional foul, nothing more, nothing less, and it certainly was not an attempt to hurt anyone.

His role in this series is to get into Kobe's grill and harass the heck out of him. I think the whole thing is being overblown. This is nothing compared to the 80's brand of NBA Playoff basketball, when driving to the basket meant risking getting your head knocked off (just ask Rambis).

I do not like Karl but I am pulling for the Nuggets and hope to see a Magic/Nuggets Finals which will insure a Duke player getting a Championship..

Wow. Everything you say, I agree with 100%. Amazing. Great post.

devilirium
05-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Had Dahntay continued to wear a Rutgers uniform, then I'm pretty sure that most of his supporters wouldn't promote his thuggish ways. The trip wasn't an isolated incident. He's been doing it since his arrival in the league. Grant Hill, perhaps the best ambassador to Duke Basketball, doesn't even care for the guy. That's enough for me. He deserved a slow clap after last nite. After all, if you can't play your man straight up, then just cheat.

Kewlswim
05-28-2009, 02:26 AM
I think the trip was more out of frustration than anything. He looked over, saw that Kobe had beat him and was making a beeline for the bucket so he tripped him without thinking about it. It wasn't so much intentional; just a split second reaction in a moment of basketball panic. If he was able to reach out and grab Kobe like players do all the time, nothing would have been said, but he was only in position to reach his foot out. A flagrant foul is fair, but I don't think he's dirty because of it.

Hi,

When I saw the trip and then later Dahntay on the bench did it seem like Dahntay looked ashamed and was burying his head in his towel? He just looked, to me, like someone who knew he did something wrong.

GO DUKE!

SilkyJ
05-28-2009, 02:32 AM
After all, if you can't play your man straight up, then just cheat.

Um, yea. You think guys dont shove D. Howard in the back when he's going up for boards? You think guys dont hold Ray Allen going around screens? Heck, fouling someone is cheating b/c its against the rules. There are varying shades of gray, with Dahntay's being a bit darker, but like I said earlier if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.

The best analogy I can draw is to soccer where if my teammates weren't tripping guys on breakaways on grabbing jerseys on freekicks, I'd get in their faces.

Fish80
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Um, yea. You think guys dont shove D. Howard in the back when he's going up for boards? You think guys dont hold Ray Allen going around screens? Heck, fouling someone is cheating b/c its against the rules. There are varying shades of gray, with Dahntay's being a bit darker, but like I said earlier if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin.

The best analogy I can draw is to soccer where if my teammates weren't tripping guys on breakaways on grabbing jerseys on freekicks, I'd get in their faces.

I completely disagree with the phrase "if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin". I abhor cheating.

However, fouling is not cheating. Fouling is part of the game, and a legitimate strategy. When a team is down at the end of the game and fouls to stop the clock, is that cheating? No, it's strategy.

Cheating is when you send the wrong guy to shoot the free throws. Cheating is when your clock operator monkeys around. Fouling is not cheating.

bjornolf
05-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I was watching highlights of the end of the Cavs/Magic game where LeBron drew the foul at the end of the game by basically using his elbow to run over a guy. At the beginning of the clip, as James runs out past the 3-pt. line to receive the in-bounds pass, somebody misses a screen trying to stop the guy covering LeBron. The screener reached out and grabbed the defender's arm with BOTH hands and held on, to the point where both his arms ended up fully extended before letting go.

Just saying, how is Dahntay's trip any worse than that in terms of physically gaining an advantage over your opponent? And how the HECK do the refs just let THAT go? That's a hold in the NFL, for goodness sake. That's just wrong, and it happens all the time. It's part of the reason I don't watch the NBA.

johaad
05-28-2009, 10:34 AM
I was watching highlights of the end of the Cavs/Magic game where LeBron drew the foul at the end of the game by basically using his elbow to run over a guy. At the beginning of the clip, as James runs out past the 3-pt. line to receive the in-bounds pass, somebody misses a screen trying to stop the guy covering LeBron. The screener reached out and grabbed the defender's arm with BOTH hands and held on, to the point where both his arms ended up fully extended before letting go.

Just saying, how is Dahntay's trip any worse than that in terms of physically gaining an advantage over your opponent? And how the HECK do the refs just let THAT go? That's a hold in the NFL, for goodness sake. That's just wrong, and it happens all the time. It's part of the reason I don't watch the NBA.

I don't think it is any worse. They were trying to stop a player who was on Lebron, and Dahntay was trying to stop Kobe from making a play. Unfortunately, Dahntay used his foot, the cavs player used their hand.

I didn't like seeing Dahntay do it, but I don't think it was any worse than what the majority of players do in the NBA.

Billy Dat
05-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I thought Dahntay was a real offensive spark plug for the Nuggets during the 3rd quarter yesterday. One thing I like about him is that he has some scoring ego, he doesn't accept that he shouldn't be guarded and routinely takes it to the hole when his defender tries to shade off of him for help defense. Plus, he made some good steals and was one of 2 Nuggets with a positive +/-.

johaad
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
I thought Dahntay was a real offensive spark plug for the Nuggets during the 3rd quarter yesterday. One thing I like about him is that he has some scoring ego, he doesn't accept that he shouldn't be guarded and routinely takes it to the hole when his defender tries to shade off of him for help defense. Plus, he made some good steals and was one of 2 Nuggets with a positive +/-.

That's true. The thing that I am shocked by though is his lack of finishing ability. I don't get to see many Nuggets games before the playoffs, so I don't know if this is something he is known for, but it has been obvious in this series. He seems to miss open lay-ups time and again. It's frustrating.

cspan37421
05-28-2009, 11:13 AM

and that's why soccer/futbol has degenerated into a sport (too often) played by hooligans, cheered on by hooligans. What happened to sportsmanship, and taking it like a man if you get beat to a spot, or beat out for a spot?

allenmurray
05-28-2009, 11:22 AM
I completely disagree with the phrase "if you ain't cheatin you ain't tryin". I abhor cheating.

However, fouling is not cheating. Fouling is part of the game, and a legitimate strategy. When a team is down at the end of the game and fouls to stop the clock, is that cheating? No, it's strategy.

Cheating is when you send the wrong guy to shoot the free throws. Cheating is when your clock operator monkeys around. Fouling is not cheating.

Absolutely correct. Often when a player fouls he knows what the penalty will be and there is a strategic decision made as to cost/benefit. That is not cheating, that is strategy.

SupaDave
05-28-2009, 11:24 AM
and that's why soccer/futbol has degenerated into a sport (too often) played by hooligans, cheered on by hooligans. What happened to sportsmanship, and taking it like a man if you get beat to a spot, or beat out for a spot?

lmao! Soccer has been a sport of hooligans for quite some time now.

As I recall, a few soccer players have been MURDERED for getting beat. Maybe that's what happened to sportmanship.

Acymetric
05-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Absolutely correct. Often when a player fouls he knows what the penalty will be and there is a strategic decision made as to cost/benefit. That is not cheating, that is strategy.

Right. Is it Dahntay's fault they didn't call the foul? Would it be as big a deal if they had called it during the game? My feeling is probably not.

SupaDave
05-28-2009, 02:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/chris_ballard/05/14/kobe/1.html

johaad
05-28-2009, 03:04 PM

Well that puts things in perspective doesn't it?

Owen Meany
05-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Well that puts things in perspective doesn't it?

No.

(I only wanted to answer "No", but that was not accepted because it was "too short").

johaad
05-28-2009, 07:43 PM
No.

(I only wanted to answer "No", but that was not accepted because it was "too short").

lol. You're right, it may not for some people. I just liked the comments from Shane himself.

SilkyJ
05-28-2009, 07:59 PM
No.

well we are all lucky to now have a more profound understanding of your position.

(that's sarcasm. perhaps you can explain what you mean)

Owen Meany
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
well we are all lucky to now have a more profound understanding of your position.

(that's sarcasm. perhaps you can explain what you mean)

To me, the article on Shane doesn't provide perspective on Dahntay's actions. I answered Johaad's question with a simple No, because

1.) I thought my reasoning would be clear (as I believe it was to Johaad, given his response).

2.) It allowed me to avoid pointing out all the ways Dahntay and Battier are different

I considered putting j/k after my answer, but thought it may be construed that my answer, "No", was a joke - which it wasn't. I believe johaad realizes my simple answer was meant in fun, and not in any way disrespectful or sarcastic. With his "lol", I believe he took it as intended. Perhaps I should have explained my intent, as you did with "that's sarcasm".

Since you asked me to explain my answer, I will attempt to do so without saying too much about Dahntay. I see Dahntay and Battier as 2 very different individuals. I think the actions described by Battier fall well within acceptable limits. I think Battier shows wonderful sportsmanship. I would be shocked if he has been whistled for 3 flagrant fouls this season, let alone in the playoffs. You don't read articles about Battier "crossing the line", etc. for a reason.

I like a lot of things about Jones and appreciate his contribution to Duke. I am glad he has made it in the league. But there have been many times where I have found his actions to be disappointing. This trip is not an isolated example. To name two examples at Duke, I remember him firing the ball off of another player's face when the ball was going out of bounds (he was facing the player and could have thrown it off his body as is done 90% of the time). I also recall him flailing his arms in a Kobe-esque manner after driving so that he could get a shot in on the opposing player. And he was always subtle and finished the play with his hands raised and a "who me?" look on his face. There were plenty of examples that I saw even with my royal blue glasses firmly in place, but 1.) I can't remember them all after this much time, and 2.) I don't want to list the ones I do remember because I don't want to excoriate the guy. I just wish he wasn't so chippy.

I feel the only real defense of Jone's actions are those that claim "If you aren't cheating you aren't trying". I strongly disagree with this, and hope its not the prevailing sentiment inside the Duke program. But I think its not credible to pretend that Jones isn't purposely "pushing the limits" of fair play. The Nuggets pride themselves on this. Even articles praising them laud them for doing so. Martin tells Jones he has "finally made it" because they are calling him a dirty player. Karl calls him the new Bruce Bowen, whose claim to fame is frustrating players with his dirty play, such as placing his foot under jump shooters who will either be injured or play fearing injury. The Nuggets want to be the Oakland Raiders of the NBA. They are mean and dirty. And Dahntay is carving out an identity as the poster boy for this type of play from them.

So if you want to praise Dahntay's play, embrace his role. But don't deny it. Yes it was instinct to stick his leg so far out to trip Kobe - but only because that is how he always plays the game. He's just usually not that blatant. Battier is well-known for his defense on Kobe. And I'm sure Kobe is seething to show him up every time they play. He's undoubtedly got past Battier on countless occasions. But Battier's natural instinct is not to stick his foot out and trip him. And trust me - Battier may not be cheating, but he is sure as heck trying.

I'll leave this subject alone now because I don't want to run on about what I perceive to be Jone's shortcomings. I wish him the best. And it seems that a lot of people are fine with his actions. I just think they would be viewed very differently had Jone's not worn a Duke jersey.

Jim3k
05-29-2009, 01:25 AM

Best thing...well, maybe...about that article was Chip Engelland, former Blue Devil. Next best thing was all the Devils involved -- Engelland, Grant Hill, Battier and even Dahntay.

Duke is the best!

SupaDave
05-29-2009, 11:49 AM
To me, the article on Shane doesn't provide perspective on Dahntay's actions. I answered Johaad's question with a simple No, because

1.) I thought my reasoning would be clear (as I believe it was to Johaad, given his response).

2.) It allowed me to avoid pointing out all the ways Dahntay and Battier are different

I considered putting j/k after my answer, but thought it may be construed that my answer, "No", was a joke - which it wasn't. I believe johaad realizes my simple answer was meant in fun, and not in any way disrespectful or sarcastic. With his "lol", I believe he took it as intended. Perhaps I should have explained my intent, as you did with "that's sarcasm".

Since you asked me to explain my answer, I will attempt to do so without saying too much about Dahntay. I see Dahntay and Battier as 2 very different individuals. I think the actions described by Battier fall well within acceptable limits. I think Battier shows wonderful sportsmanship. I would be shocked if he has been whistled for 3 flagrant fouls this season, let alone in the playoffs. You don't read articles about Battier "crossing the line", etc. for a reason.

I like a lot of things about Jones and appreciate his contribution to Duke. I am glad he has made it in the league. But there have been many times where I have found his actions to be disappointing. This trip is not an isolated example. To name two examples at Duke, I remember him firing the ball off of another player's face when the ball was going out of bounds (he was facing the player and could have thrown it off his body as is done 90% of the time). I also recall him flailing his arms in a Kobe-esque manner after driving so that he could get a shot in on the opposing player. And he was always subtle and finished the play with his hands raised and a "who me?" look on his face. There were plenty of examples that I saw even with my royal blue glasses firmly in place, but 1.) I can't remember them all after this much time, and 2.) I don't want to list the ones I do remember because I don't want to excoriate the guy. I just wish he wasn't so chippy.

I feel the only real defense of Jone's actions are those that claim "If you aren't cheating you aren't trying". I strongly disagree with this, and hope its not the prevailing sentiment inside the Duke program. But I think its not credible to pretend that Jones isn't purposely "pushing the limits" of fair play. The Nuggets pride themselves on this. Even articles praising them laud them for doing so. Martin tells Jones he has "finally made it" because they are calling him a dirty player. Karl calls him the new Bruce Bowen, whose claim to fame is frustrating players with his dirty play, such as placing his foot under jump shooters who will either be injured or play fearing injury. The Nuggets want to be the Oakland Raiders of the NBA. They are mean and dirty. And Dahntay is carving out an identity as the poster boy for this type of play from them.

So if you want to praise Dahntay's play, embrace his role. But don't deny it. Yes it was instinct to stick his leg so far out to trip Kobe - but only because that is how he always plays the game. He's just usually not that blatant. Battier is well-known for his defense on Kobe. And I'm sure Kobe is seething to show him up every time they play. He's undoubtedly got past Battier on countless occasions. But Battier's natural instinct is not to stick his foot out and trip him. And trust me - Battier may not be cheating, but he is sure as heck trying.

I'll leave this subject alone now because I don't want to run on about what I perceive to be Jone's shortcomings. I wish him the best. And it seems that a lot of people are fine with his actions. I just think they would be viewed very differently had Jone's not worn a Duke jersey.

What you should've taken from the article is that not only is Duke now becoming KNOWN for great defensive players with this year's playoffs being a showcase of sorts between Battier, Redick, and Jones but also the fact that regardless of the talent level the NBA is a nasty mean physical monster.

SOME players are dirty and play with a chip on their shoulders. Some guys are just physical and plan on making you remember that they played you that night. Battier readily admitted to hitting a player but do you really think he doesn't grab, hold, or throw hard picks?

I thought Bowen was a great example b/c he known as a high character guy, a great defender, and also a bit of chippy (and dirty) player. I like his defense and have to appreciate how much he worked on his corner shot - and he didn't even wear a Duke jersey.

However, sometimes on defense you've got to do what you gotta do b/c NONE of this ever comes up until any of these guys are facing someone like Kobe - which is pretty much the point of the article.

Billy Dat
05-29-2009, 05:13 PM
What you should've taken from the article is that not only is Duke now becoming KNOWN for great defensive players with this year's playoffs being a showcase of sorts between Battier, Redick, and Jones but also the fact that regardless of the talent level the NBA is a nasty mean physical monster.

SOME players are dirty and play with a chip on their shoulders. Some guys are just physical and plan on making you remember that they played you that night. Battier readily admitted to hitting a player but do you really think he doesn't grab, hold, or throw hard picks?

I thought Bowen was a great example b/c he known as a high character guy, a great defender, and also a bit of chippy (and dirty) player. I like his defense and have to appreciate how much he worked on his corner shot - and he didn't even wear a Duke jersey.

However, sometimes on defense you've got to do what you gotta do b/c NONE of this ever comes up until any of these guys are facing someone like Kobe - which is pretty much the point of the article.

Well said

DukieinIndy
07-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Mods please move to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Dahntay will now be with the Indiana Pacers according to the IndyStar. http://www.indystar.com/article/20090709/SPORTS04/907090402/Pacers+sign+free+agent+guard+Dahntay+Jones

He will be a great fit with the Pacers system and the third Dukie on the roster.

JasonEvans
07-09-2009, 09:44 AM
4-years and $11-million is a nice deal for Dahntay, slightly better than I thought he would get. I am glad he found a home and found a nice payday.

This will be Dahntay's biggest payday so far in his NBA career. He made around a million dollars and a half dollars a year on his rookie contract. He made the NBA minimum last year with the Nuggets. This contract is well beyond his previous ones.

I would bet he is making $2.0, $2.5, $3.0, $3.5 mil or something like that each season on the 4-year deal. That may not be a mint by NBA standards, but it certainly sets Dahntay up for life (assuming he does not do stoopid things with the money, which I am sure he will not).

--Jason "hard work has really paid off for him" Evans

Duke of Nashville
07-09-2009, 10:45 AM
This is great for Dahntay!

The pacers have got to have alot of cap room coming up for the summer of 2010.. Hopefully D and HANSborough will bring in a new attitude to this orginization. Lord knows they need it.

geraldsneighbor
07-09-2009, 11:31 AM
three Dukies now with them. Mike, D, and McBob.

Devilsfan
07-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Three good guys and one heel. Seems like it's the Bobcats in reverse.

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Three good guys and one heel. Seems like it's the Bobcats in reverse.

Great observation with an Indiana guy at the helm ironically...

Carlos
07-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Indiana State... unless you want to count the 24 days he spent at IU.

SupaDave
07-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Indiana State... unless you want to count the 24 days he spent at IU.

Not the school - I'm talking about the hick from French Lick!

Bluedog
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM
The Pacers have signed Dahntay Jones. 4 year/$11 million. With Dunleavy, McRoberts, and Jones, Indy is quickly becoming a team to root for...Although Hansbrough is also going to be there next season, so I have conflicting feelings.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqmi1o4LZO3bb.EJd6UTcEM5nYcB?slug=ap-pacers-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't realize this was already indicated in the following thread:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16124&page=5&

Please merge! I didn't think it had already been discussed since the AP just released the signing news a couple hrs ago, but apparently other sources had it nailed down a few days ago. Ah, I see that it was reported previously, but Indy officially announced it at a press conference today. Sorry!

“I’m happy to be here, happy to be part of this organization,” Jones said. “I’m ready to take on the challenge defensively to help this team become a better team, a playoff team.”

Also, this tidbit:

The team is “very close” to finalizing a deal with restricted free agent Josh McRoberts.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090714/SPORTS04/90714053/Pacers+sign+free+agent+Dahntay+Jones

OZZIE4DUKE
07-14-2009, 04:17 PM
The Pacers have signed Dahntay Jones. 4 year/$11 million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqmi1o4LZO3bb.EJd6UTcEM5nYcB?slug=ap-pacers-jones&prov=ap&type=lgns
Nice piece of change for Dahntay! Congratulations. Do yourself, and us, proud!