PDA

View Full Version : Push mowers

wiscodevil
04-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I am thinking about getting a new mower and wanted to see if anyone on the board had any experience with "push mowers".

I'd like to start mowing my own lawn and save the money I am currently shelling out to a landscaping crew. Ideally I want to get a mower that doesn't contribute air or noise pollution to the neighborhood.

Any advice on these types of mowers, in general, or specific models like the one below, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
d

http://www.amazon.com/Scotts-20-Inch-Push-Mower-2000-20/dp/B00004RA3E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0620359-5066207?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1176742428&sr=8-1

Jfrosh
04-16-2007, 01:14 PM
I had pushed back the memory of growing up with a push mower, thanks ever so much bringing that memory back.:rolleyes:
While I applaud you wanting to reduce pollution these are really a pain to use. Now we had over an acre of land and one huge hill which probably contributed to my suffering, it might be okay if you have a small yard. This was also an older model, although it looks exactly the same.
Good luck in your search.

wiscodevil
04-16-2007, 01:28 PM
it is a very small yard.

captmojo
04-16-2007, 02:01 PM
These are fine for up to about 2000 sq ft but make sure you buy a good blade sharpener for frequent use. The rotating blades cut by scissor action however you've got the one blade stationary which will get 4 times the wear of the rotators. Also, be regular. Don't put off scheduled cutting. If grass gets too high you'll see what I mean!

bluebear
04-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I use one of these on a small yard and it generally works ok but cuts very unevenly...I actually wait until it gets little long so that I can actually tell it's working (my excuse for being lazy)...Does not work well on edges or in nooks, as the more speed the better the cut...

Dukiedevil
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Spend another $100 and buy a gas mower with a small Honda engine. While loud, they are relatively efficient and low maintenance

jimbonelson
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
you people have to much money.............lol snapper makes a nice mower easy to use 6 speeds and cuts great

Exiled_Devil
04-16-2007, 08:38 PM
I am thinking about getting a new mower and wanted to see if anyone on the board had any experience with "push mowers".

I'd like to start mowing my own lawn and save the money I am currently shelling out to a landscaping crew. Ideally I want to get a mower that doesn't contribute air or noise pollution to the neighborhood.

Any advice on these types of mowers, in general, or specific models like the one below, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
d

http://www.amazon.com/Scotts-20-Inch-Push-Mower-2000-20/dp/B00004RA3E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0620359-5066207?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1176742428&sr=8-1

Where do you live? I am in Durham and have a push-mower that I can give to you - it was my wife's fathers and I couldn't let him just trash it when he downsized his house. It is in good shape - was in excellent but has been outside for 3 months.

It may take some maintenance, but you can't beat free.
Exiled

tecumseh
04-17-2007, 08:55 AM
I agree with buying a Honda. One thing to note is that lawnmowers you buy now are 4 stroke engines unlike the 2 stroke engines I spent many summers behind. These are much less polluting.

The other issue is that most lawn experts recommend that you mulch and not bag your clippings, the new Honda mowers are designed with this in mind and have double blades to cut the grass finer. Push mowers will not be able to give you a double cut.

Also make sure you have someplace to take your push mower to get sharpened.

wiscodevil
04-17-2007, 08:57 AM
for all of the sage advice.

up next - car recommendations:)

TNTDevil
04-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Three years ago I sold my trusty Snapper Mulching mower for a brand-new, top-of-the-line Honda (Model #:HRX217HXA). Consumer Reports top-rated, self-propelled mower. I realize you may not want a self-propelled model (I didn't really want one) but, after examining all the options the self-propelled are now the most feature rich. This mower is much more efficient and quieter, yet more powerful, than my Snapper.

The machine offers multiple drive speeds, rear dischage/bagging and, the best feature, a very easy-to-use, selector arm to either bag the clippings or mulch (it has 10 steps from completely bag to completely mulch). While I realize that mulching is the preferred method recommended by lawn "experts", the facts on the turf are a bit different. Mulching only works well if you keep your grass trimmed regularly, if you are out-of-town or, a rain prevents you from mowing on schedule and the grass gets a bit longer than normal, mulchers bog down and do not cut cleanly.

What I decided to do was in cases where I was forced to bag, I started a compost heap. I now put any and all lawn clippings along with all my vegetable kitchen waste into my compost and my garden and flowers have never looked better.

The rear-bagging option is also and excellent way to "rake" your yard. In the fall, I get my kids to rake the leaves into strips and then I run over them with the mower, shredding and bagging along the way. From there I drop them into my compost.

Exiled_Devil
04-17-2007, 11:37 AM

Quiet, easy to use, electric...Robomow (http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/robomow/mowers/)

I don't know about the current pricing, but if I had a small lawn I would be all over this robotic wonder. My only concern would be the sudden but inevitable betrayal when the robots seek to overthrow us.

Exiled

The Gordog
04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't have to mow a lawn, our homeowners' association does the grass at my townhouse, but my brother swears by his electric model. They're quieter and far less polluting than any gas-powered model.

tecumseh
04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Electric mowers are good only if you have a fairly small yard. They are also cheaper and obviously easy to start.

willywoody
04-17-2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/brill_luxus.htm

i went with a brill and have been satisfied. better yet, my wife loves it and mows our small yard. push mowers are only good on certain grass types and st augustine required a little more oomph.

wiscodevil
04-17-2007, 02:50 PM
this board reinforces my faith in humanity. no joke.

Master Shake
04-17-2007, 06:14 PM
I also have a Brill (Lexus 28 is the model I think) with grass catcher. Supposedly it only has to be sharpened once every 7 years. I bought mine 6 years ago and it still cuts great. The only drawbacks (some of which have already been pointed out):
1. High grass, thick leaves, sticks will clog the mower so that you have to keep unclogging as you go.
2. My mower only cuts at a max height of 4.4 cm. I have fescue in my lawn and ideally it should be kept cut at a slightly higher height I think. While this doesn't impact my sunny front lawn, my shady back lawn gets thin in the summer, which I think is due in part to the fact that the roots never get deep enough due to the short cutting (could just be that its too shady period).
That said, as long as I have a manageable size lawn, I will never go back to motorize mowers. The Brill is too easy (and I was raised on gas push and riding mowers and even cut grass on Central Campus during a couple of summers at Duke).

dukestheheat
04-17-2007, 09:10 PM
hey dbb03-

i have a troy-bilt 6.75 hp 21" mulching push mower, and it's firecracker red. i'd buy that. it works great and that mulch helps the grass to grow even better so you (we) can get out there even more often!

plus, it's good exercise and your neighbors will think you're sexy out there pushing that mower.

dth.

Jarhead
04-18-2007, 03:34 PM

Get a car, not an SUV.

captmojo
04-28-2007, 12:23 PM
So what did you end up with after all this advice?

wiscodevil
04-28-2007, 08:01 PM
So what did you end up with after all this advice?

haven't made a purchase yet on the mower.

Indoor66
04-29-2007, 08:27 AM
:D Let's get on with it. We are all waiting with baited breath to discover the outcome of this search. It ranks up their with American Idol and 24 for suspense!

blublood
04-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks,
d

My husband just got one of these from Home Depot last week and he absolutely loves it. It makes mowing the lawn much quieter, less sweaty, less smelly work and it's lighter and easier to navigate.

The only caveat is that obviously this thing isn't going to crunch through sticks and pine cones like a gas-powered one would, so you'll have to rake the yard first to remove debris. However, on the other hand, our old gas-powered mower could never accomplish this simple task either, so you might not be expending that much extra effort.

Totally agree that the end result can be uneven if you're not very diligent about gettign weedy spots.

CMS2478
04-30-2007, 12:54 PM
I just cut my yard with a "push mower" for the first time and my advice the yard is much bigger than it looks when you are using a push mower. :D