PDA

View Full Version : Bob Gibbons Tournament (Hairston, Thornton)

m g
05-23-2009, 04:47 PM
has anyone been at the bob gibbons tournament? josh hairston and tyler thornton have had good performances so far, as have targets such as kyrie irving.

wbs2455
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I watched probably pieces of about a dozen games saturday at the Dean Dome and Cameron. Here are some thoughts about Josh, Tyler, and some other guys who caught my eye.

1) Tyler: DC Assault played with 3 guards in the game most of the time, so Tyler brought the ball up and played as a true point less than 10% of the time. He also spent most of the time defending the other team's 2 guard which wasn't an issue for him, though it would've been nice to see him guard state's ryan harrow when he got going when their two teams matched up. Tyler knocked down open jumpers within the flow of the offense, but never really looked for his shot. He had a couple of moments in Saturday night's loss where he got frustrated and played out of control, but for the most part he was a calming presence on the court. Definitely has a nose for the ball on defense.

2) Josh: Overall, he'll be a good player for us certainly. From reading others' comments, I was hoping his back to the basket game would be a little further along. He attempted some solid post moves, but didn't make many (at least that I saw). I was pleasantly surprised by his mid range jumpshot which he knocked down pretty consistently. The two big trouble spots I saw were: First, he showed early symptoms of what I think may be casey sanders disease. At least a half dozen passes or loose balls skipped off his hands, shoulder, etc. and most of those were definitely catchable. Secondly, he got into trouble dribbling too much sometimes, like trying to penetrate into traffic. But again, overall, I'm very excited to have him and see him develop in the next few years.

3) Ryan Harrow: Sidney Lowe got a player here. He showed up in spurts against DC Assault, but was totally capable for rattling off 8-10 points very quickly. He is rail thin (listed at 6-0 150) but he could really get in the lane, elevate, and finish. Showed off the tear drop, reverse layup, and all kinds of other nifty moves around the rim.

4) CJ Leslie: He's also an impressive player. Consistently knocked down the 3 and has a very good handle for a big guy, though he seems to think he can dribble wherever he wants whenever he wants sometimes. He gave up some rebounds that he should've had, but also came crashing in on the offensive glass to steal boards he had no business getting. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

5) Reggie Bullock: Very graceful and extremely active in transition. Like watching an gazelle run. Big time finisher in transition. His size and quickness will make him very very tough for anyone to defend. As a junior in HS, he creates his jumper the way G did last year. And he can definitely stroke it from 3.

6) Melvin Tabb: Not sure if he's a 3 or a 4, but he's an athlete for sure and will be a fun guy to watch at Wake. He's got a good bit of muscle on him already, but is very quick for 6-8 which will make him another tough matchup.

7) Ray McCallum: For most of the 2 games I saw, he didn't look to create his own offense in the halfcourt. His jump shot was solid, but not great. Most of his damage was done in transition where he finished very well. He's got a bigger body than you see from most 6-1 point guards in high school. His defense, particularly in transition, was very good, including a nice 1 on 1 fastbreak block. Similar to Tyler in the fact that the team seemed calm with him on the court, however Ray was a true point guard for team detroit.

DDB4208
05-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I watched probably pieces of about a dozen games saturday at the Dean Dome and Cameron. Here are some thoughts about Josh, Tyler, and some other guys who caught my eye.

Thanks for sharing. I'm excited about Tyler and Josh they seem like two good kids.

whereinthehellami
05-26-2009, 08:28 AM
2) Josh: Overall, he'll be a good player for us certainly. From reading others' comments, I was hoping his back to the basket game would be a little further along. He attempted some solid post moves, but didn't make many (at least that I saw). I was pleasantly surprised by his mid range jumpshot which he knocked down pretty consistently. The two big trouble spots I saw were: First, he showed early symptoms of what I think may be casey sanders disease. At least a half dozen passes or loose balls skipped off his hands, shoulder, etc. and most of those were definitely catchable. Secondly, he got into trouble dribbling too much sometimes, like trying to penetrate into traffic. But again, overall, I'm very excited to have him and see him develop in the next few years.
Thanks for the report. I saw Josh play 2 games last year with Courtland. I don't remember him having hands problems but the competition up here is really bad.

SupaDave
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Thought some of you might like to see this:

http://dcassaultinc.com/