PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about this e-cigarette?

bjornolf
05-21-2009, 06:41 PM
My father-in-law has been having A LOT of trouble quitting smoking, and he's in bad shape (heart attack, COPD, asthma) that have all developed in the last year, and the doctor's telling him that he could die soon if he doesn't quit. He's even suggested switching to chewing tobacco, that's how desperate the doctor is. He's tried the pills, the gum, the patch, the lozenges, but nothing works for long. He's been smoking for 54 of his 63 years (yes, he started at age 9).

My wife is desperate. She wants "Paw-Paw" to be around for his grandkids a little longer. She's heard about his electronic cigarette, or e-cigarette. There are apparently a few different models.

Does anyone know anything about this technology? Any feelings on which might be the best? We don't want to blow all this money on one if there's another one that's better.

Thanks so much.

http://www.smokingeverywhere.com/

killerleft
05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Has he tried the Chantix pills? I used them to quit after 30+ years of smoking and have not smoked in about a year. Chantix seems to have a great success rate, way above Nicorette gum or other such "replacement" products.

Bottom line, though, is that he must WANT to quit for any method to work. I can see why people might turn to the e-cigarette for several reasons, but I've never known anyone who used that product.

bjornolf
05-22-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure which pills he tried. They were prescription. He did fine on them, but he said he didn't like the way they made him feel. After a while, his insurance wouldn't cover them any more and he'd have had to pay out of pocket. When that happened, he quit taking them and he started smoking again within a few days.

sue71, esq
05-22-2009, 02:45 PM
This is going to be the vaguest of vague but here goes- my dad quit smoking about 10 or so years ago. Might be a little more... anyway, he used a combination of the patch & the pill, but I don't have any more specifics than that. He started smoking when he was 12. Hasn't smoked since he quit.

BlueDevilBaby
05-22-2009, 03:05 PM
Both my dad and my brother (who are unrelated) quit cold turkey. Drugs can help, but willpower is the key as someone said earlier.

Windsor
05-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I'm not sure which pills he tried. They were prescription. He did fine on them, but he said he didn't like the way they made him feel. After a while, his insurance wouldn't cover them any more and he'd have had to pay out of pocket. When that happened, he quit taking them and he started smoking again within a few days.

Has he compared the price of hte drugs to the price of cigarettes?? The cost of Chantix was what a co worker was using to not give it a try - til we did the math for her - in FL they are bout $4.00 a pack - so a pack a day smoker it is about a break even on 30 days of chantix

captmojo
05-24-2009, 12:41 PM
The biggest trouble with the patches is that if you roll them too tight, they won't stay lit. :D