PDA

View Full Version : Duke Basketball Camp

Hancock 4 Duke
05-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Well, he first session starts on th 13th of June, so I figured I would Mention it. I am going to the first session and am really excited! Could anyone give info from xperience or knowledge. I wouldlike to know what will be going o. Will current Duke players be there? Thanks!:):D:cool::o

Duke79UNLV77
05-20-2009, 11:21 PM
i went to duke basketball camp the year before K and then in K's first year. i still have some vivid memories of K's year, as well as some materials he distributed, which included a Rudyard Kipling poem and offensive and defensive diagrams. I remember K focused a lot on defensive stance and moving the feet on defense and on hustle and playing with pride. i guess some things don't change, although i would guess the basketball camp experience in general might have changed over the years.

cspan37421
05-21-2009, 12:46 AM
My son went last year (he was 9 then) and is going to session 3 this year. He enjoyed it overall. They work you hard - you're often not back in your room til 10pm, you have to shower, and then it's up at 7 again to go eat. So even though 3 full days and 2 half days does not seem like much, you definitely put in a lot of time.

Many - but not all - players are around, and they speak to the kids, meet them, etc. Coach K, despite his Olympic duties, was there for the beginning and end, going to Chicago for a USA-Basketball presser in between. He gave some very impressive talks - truly from the heart. If it was canned, I wouldn't know it. The bulk of the camp is run by a large squad of selected coaches, from HS coaches to former college players (no big names though). I was not impressed with the one my son got, but he worked a lot of drill stations with a lot of other coaches, and did learn a number of fundamental skills (like setting screens, pick & roll, dribbling, etc).

Bottom line is that for the younger end, the camp is probably not going to teach them anything they wouldn't learn at a less famous camp. They're going to be focusing on the fundamentals. But if you add the "wow" factor and the experience, and compare the price for local residential basketball camps, it's not that much more, and to us, it's worth it.

Have fun.

SupaDave
05-21-2009, 12:24 PM
i went to duke basketball camp the year before K and then in K's first year. i still have some vivid memories of K's year, as well as some materials he distributed, which included a Rudyard Kipling poem and offensive and defensive diagrams. I remember K focused a lot on defensive stance and moving the feet on defense and on hustle and playing with pride. i guess some things don't change, although i would guess the basketball camp experience in general might have changed over the years.

That poem is called "IF" and you should google it - a great poem...

missfinch
05-21-2009, 04:35 PM
My sons have gone the last 3 years (one is going again this year) and have had a blast. Two years ago, I flew in with them on the Friday before camp began and a lot of the players were hanging around, playing pick-up games in Cameron and were more than happy to sign autographs and pose for pictures. On the morning of registration, they will have autograph-sized basketballs and other stuff for sale in Cameron. Send someone from your group to get in line for Coach K's autograph and photos. Most of the returning players have been there each year and act as referees for the younger kids' games. One of my sons has great photos with Kyle, Greg, Josh, Jon, Nolan and Zoubs, and of himself bringing the ball up the floor in Cameron. My other son had Marty Clark as his RA in the dorm and, having watched the 92 final four video many times, he of course knew right away who he was. My younger son loved to tell me about having Wojo take him to the training room after he got hit in the face and the discussion they had about Jerryd Bayless (who was playing high school ball in Phoenix where we live).

They both have had great stories and, as big Duke fans, were completely star struck. Cspan is probably right about the instruction but the experience (including staying in the dorms and eating in the dining hall) was super for them.

Take a couple of Sharpies, a disposable camera and a Nike bag or something with any items you want signed and keep it with you during the day. Alumni players are there now and then for presentations and signings and there isn't always time to go back to the dorm for stuff.

Have fun!

Hancock 4 Duke
06-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, I am leaving tomorrow for the camp, and I wanted to ask, will it be awesome!? I really can't wait. Wish Me Luck!

PSurprise
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Will it be awesome? You will not be able to hear yourself think over the awesomeness that is Duke Basketball Camp.

Cell-R
06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Make sure to tell us all about it! And tell K that I said hey :p

Good luck!

Rudy
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
I can't resist telling this story again.

A few years ago a friend told me about a conversation he had with Coach K at the camp. His son was a h.s. player maybe good enough for D-III but not for D-I anywhere. He had attended the camp for a few years and enjoyed the experience.

My friend talked with Coach K while the kids played and asked Coach K whether he (K) thought there was a place at Duke for his son, just to see what Coach would say.

"Which one is your son?" Coach asked. When the boy was pointed out Coach said with a smile, "Yes. In the math department."

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-12-2009, 01:55 PM
I can't resist telling this story again.

A few years ago a friend told me about a conversation he had with Coach K at the camp. His son was a h.s. player maybe good enough for D-III but not for D-I anywhere. He had attended the camp for a few years and enjoyed the experience.

My friend talked with Coach K while the kids played and asked Coach K whether he (K) thought there was a place at Duke for his son, just to see what Coach would say.

"Which one is your son?" Coach asked. When the boy was pointed out Coach said with a smile, "Yes. In the math department."
A great story which gave me a huge laugh on a day when a laugh was just what I needed.

Hancock 4 Duke
06-17-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, I'm back. I'm am just speechless. It was so awesome, and There were so many former players, and current coaches. I got the autographs of Nate James, Chris Collins, Chris Carrawell, Steve Wojo, Coach K, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee(#5), Ryan Kelly (#34), Casey Peters (a walk on, #53), and Jon Scheyer. We played in Cameron, and Card. Our team was 5-2. Coach K gave a lecture every night. I will try to post pictures on here as soon as I figure out how. :):)

Duke #33
06-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Well, I'm back. I'm am just speechless. It was so awesome, and There were so many former players, and current coaches. I got the autographs of Nate James, Chris Collins, Chris Carrawell, Steve Wojo, Coach K, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee(#5), Ryan Kelly (#34), Casey Peters (a walk on, #53), and Jon Scheyer. We played in Cameron, and Card. Our team was 5-2. Coach K gave a lecture every night. I will try to post pictures on here as soon as I figure out how. :):)

That sounds like it was a great camp, and it seems like you liked it alot.

FireOgilvie
06-17-2009, 11:46 PM

I'd never heard anything about Casey Peters, so I did a search and found a few things.

He's a 6'5" SG, went to Red Bank Regional HS in NJ, was 3rd team All Shore Conference, and he has some pretty good athleticism:

http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/gallery/7331354_q5GfN#471738759_tzDzR

Click "next" above the picture on the right to go through the series of pictures and see his sweet alley-oop.

Edit: I think he's going to be a junior this year.

hokieDEVIL83
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I attended camp in the summer of '93. I was 11 years old then and to this day it is one of the greatest experiences of my life as a Duke fan. I would often skip dinner to watch the summer scrimmages between current/former Duke players. I'll never forget one night, sitting on the folded up bleachers behind the basket, when all of a sudden Laettner comes out of the locker room and sits next to me to tie his shoes. He said hello and of course, I was speechless. Laettner was GOD to me back then. If I remember correctly G. Hill was coming off an injury (broken finger?), but he was there watching the games too. I also remember Jaleel White aka Steve Urkel was a camper that year. He was actually really good, and could even dunk! Greg Koubek was my counselor and would stop by our room every night to see how our day went. The experience is one I will cherish forever.