PDA

View Full Version : Boston College random thoughts

whereinthehellami
04-16-2007, 11:49 AM
With the off-season upon us I thought we would look at each ACC team and throw out some random thoughts about each school. I thought we would start at the top of the ACC and go from there. Keep it flame free and maybe even get some of the fans from the other schools to weigh in. It doesn't have to be all Bball related but that should be focus.

MD (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483), UVA (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1331), and UNC (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252) were previously looked at.

Lets take a look at Boston College:

Jared Dudley and Sean Marshall both graduated and were the team's heart and soul.

Dudley was the ACC player of the year, leading the Eagles in scoring (19 PPG), rebounding (8.3 RPG), FG% (56%), and 3pt% (44%).

Outside of Tyrese Rice (17.6 PPG, 5.3 APG), All-ACC second-team, the Eagles only return what amounts to role players.

The Eagles don't return a player that shoots over 33% from 3 and are very thin in the frontcourt, not a good recipe for success.

Marquez Haynes (6-3, SG) has decided to transfer for increased playing time (averaged 18 MPG), though he started three games last year and would have been one of their better shooters, ouch.

Shamari Spears (6-6) is a promising player (7.1 PPG, 4.6 RPG) but with no support in the frontcourt (Oates doesn't count) will be limited with what he can realistically do.

Rakim Sanders (6-6, WG) is BC's only recruit listed in the RSCI (#97) top 100 and he fell 35 spots since their last rankings (was #65), so that's not a good thing.

This seems like an ideal time for Al Skinner to test the NBA waters (if he has the opportunity), i know he has mentioned an interest in the past.

BC football is in a weird place, as O'brien takes a job that seems somewhat lateral to N.C. State while their fanbase doesn't seem to care.

BC then hires Jagodzinsky, who then hires Steve Logan as OC, which seemingly is taking a decent and mature BC team in an entirely new direction, again to the apparent apathy of their fanbase.

CMS2478
04-16-2007, 12:05 PM
As long as I don't have to see Dudley and Marshall talking trash after every little thing do next year I'm happy. I don't dislike too many people but those two managed to get on my bad side. :mad:

gw67
04-16-2007, 01:51 PM
BC returns three starters – Rice, Spears and Oates/Blair. I expect Rice to put up a load of points and Spears to develop into a productive player. Oates has some offensive skills while Blair is a shot blocker at center. The rest of the lineup and bench will be made up primarily of freshmen. On paper they appear destined for the bottom third of the ACC but Skinner typically gets his players to share the ball and play an effective tight flex offense, and he has continued to win over the years with lowly-rated recruits . They will not be a top team but I expect them to be competitive.

gw67

whereinthehellami
04-17-2007, 02:45 PM
BC has signed the following five recruits for next year:

Rakim Sanders (6-6, SG) as posted above is their highest rated recruit and is an athletic scorer who likes to attack the rim.

Josh Southern (6-9, C) is their next highest rated recruit and is described as proficient and comfortable with his size but with limited athletiscm.

Corey Raji (6-5, SF) is described as tough, energetic, and athletic but with develping skills.

Biko Paris (6-2, PG) is a community college guy with offers from UVA, Oklahoma, USC (whom he had previously comitted to), and Cincinati.

And then there is Courtney Dunn (6-8) whom no one seems to have any info on, other than his height and weight. Double secret prospect!

Overall this is not a very strong group on paper. As gw67 said, Skinner is in his element with these kind of players but he's got some serious holes in next year's team and didn't seem to get any guys that can step in immediately and contribute (on the ACC level).

Patrick Yates
04-17-2007, 02:51 PM
As much as we did not like the personalities of Marshall and Dudly, they were serious ballers.

Dudly was practically unguardable, and Marshall was a heck of a stopper on D.

Rice will have real trouble next year because the guy guarding him will be able to play close and deny the shot, because even if Rice gets around him (very likely) there is no one for him to pass too meaning that the post can rotate over to stop the penetration and deny the shot. I do not know where else their offense will come from. Spears might be really good in a few years, but next year will be brutal.

I think BC is in real trouble next year and could easily be the worst team in conference.

Patrick Yates

whereinthehellami
04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
STARTERS
Tyrese Rice 6-1 JR
Shamari Spears 6-6 SO
Tyler Roche 6-7 SO
John Oates 6-10 SR
Tyrelle Blair 6-11 SR

BENCH (10 MPG or more)
Rakim Sanders 6-6 FR
Biko Parris 6-2 JRC
Josh Southern 6-9 FR

I reall have no idea about this team other than that Rice, Spears,and Oates will definately start and that it will be Rice's team. This is a really weak team and makes me really wonder if Skinner/Rice are leaving. There is not much to work with. I'm glad that I'm not a BC fan, its going to be a very long season next year for the few, the not proud, the Eagles fans.

Lord Ash
04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Like the others, I am just glad to see Dudley and that folically-challenged punk Marshall gone.

whereinthehellami
04-19-2007, 10:43 AM
HOME GAMES
Miami - W
VT - L
MD -L
UNC - L
UVA - L
GT - L
NCSU - L
WF - W

AWAY GAMES
Miami - L
VT - L
MD - L
UNC - L
UVA - L
CU - L
Duke - L
FSU - L

So, that makes 2-14. I gotta think they win one or two more games but its hard to figure out where. Maybe they beat VT at home and FSU on the road but I wouldn't put any money on BC winning. Its hard for a team to only win 2 out of 16 games. That takes some real luck and no talent.