PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 draft...

SupaDave
05-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I haven't seen anything on this so I thought I'd start a thread.

The 2009 draft is coming up and it should be interesting. Last year it was dominated by freshmen but this year is a different story.

Blake Griffin is the jewel but it's a toss up for just about everyone else.

Not to mention - what happens to Brandon Jennings? That's a story I really want to see play itself out.

pfrduke
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM
I haven't seen anything on this so I thought I'd start a thread.

The 2009 draft is coming up and it should be interesting. Last year it was dominated by freshmen but this year is a different story.

Blake Griffin is the jewel but it's a toss up for just about everyone else.

Not to mention - what happens to Brandon Jennings? That's a story I really want to see play itself out.

Looks to be one of the weaker draft classes in recent years -- possibly since 2002 or 2004.

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm glad to see that this thread was started. We'll know more about the order after the lottery tonight, but I think it's pretty universal that the top 5 right now are Griffin, Rubio, Thabeet, Harden, and Hill.

There have been some really good articles on the ESPN NBA Draft section that describe the workouts of Griffin, Thabeet, and Harden. Thabeet has apparently developed a solid mid-range jumper, which basically solidifies his position near the top. Griffin has been an absolute animal in workouts, and Harden apparently has an "old school" game and surprising "sneaky" athleticism.

Oh, and as far as the draft strength goes, it's very weak at the top, but there are a ton of guys who could go anywhere from 15-40. It's a giant toss-up.

SupaDave
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
A toss-up indeed. This is an interesting year b/c it MIGHT be the year the NBA feels like it has the whole one and done thing in check. Next year stands to be more of the same in actuality.

COYS
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh, and as far as the draft strength goes, it's very weak at the top, but there are a ton of guys who could go anywhere from 15-40. It's a giant toss-up.

I think this is the most intriguing part of this years draft. Griffin will be a stud and Rubio should be really good and possibly great, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if three or four players picked in the late first round has a better career than a good portion of the top 10. There are so many ifs attached to the top players and a similar number of ifs attached to many of the late lottery/mid-first rounders.

Billy Dat
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
It's a really intriguing point guard draft, which really interests me because I am a Knicks fan and, despite CDu's tenure as our starter, it looks like he's going to be "recruited over".

The PGs looking like first rounders are:

-Ricky Rubio
-Brandon Jennings
-Steph Curry
-Tyreke Evans
-Eric Maynor
-Ty Lawson
-Jonny Flynn
-Jeff Teague
-Jrue Holiday
-Patty Miles

And then there are a lot of others like Darren Collison, Tony Douglas, etc.

I feel like the PG crop is pretty deep, despite this being considered a generally weak draft. As a Knick fan, I am honestly at a loss as to which guy I'd want. The D'Antoni system needs a PG that can really shoot as well as set everyone else up.

I watched Rubio in the Olympics and he was really solid, but I feel like he's been elevated by his youth and his height, and the hope that he'll develop a great shot. The NY Press is saying that the Knicks are all over Curry, and you'd think I'd be a 100% believer based on what we've seen over 3 years, but I have my lingering doubts. Maybe I am seeing the world through Tobacco Road colored glasses, but I think I'm about ready for Ty Lawson to be on my team rather than breaking my heart....I don't think he's too small. I think Evans is an amazing talent, but he's not a good shooter.

How do you guys rank this crop of PGs?

pfrduke
05-19-2009, 06:07 PM
It's a really intriguing point guard draft, which really interests me because I am a Knicks fan and, despite CDu's tenure as our starter, it looks like he's going to be "recruited over".

The PGs looking like first rounders are:

-Ricky Rubio
-Brandon Jennings
-Steph Curry
-Tyreke Evans
-Eric Maynor
-Ty Lawson
-Jonny Flynn
-Jeff Teague
-Jrue Holiday
-Patty Miles

And then there are a lot of others like Darren Collison, Tony Douglas, etc.

I feel like the PG crop is pretty deep, despite this being considered a generally weak draft. As a Knick fan, I am honestly at a loss as to which guy I'd want. The D'Antoni system needs a PG that can really shoot as well as set everyone else up.

I watched Rubio in the Olympics and he was really solid, but I feel like he's been elevated by his youth and his height, and the hope that he'll develop a great shot. The NY Press is saying that the Knicks are all over Curry, and you'd think I'd be a 100% believer based on what we've seen over 3 years, but I have my lingering doubts. Maybe I am seeing the world through Tobacco Road colored glasses, but I think I'm about ready for Ty Lawson to be on my team rather than breaking my heart....I don't think he's too small. I think Evans is an amazing talent, but he's not a good shooter.

Lawson, Jennings, and Flynn would really be ideal in D'Antoni ball. Those are three guys that love to run downhill on offense from the point. I don't buy Curry as an NBA point guard - he doesn't seem to have the strength or niftiness to get into the paint and consistent finish.

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Lawson, Jennings, and Flynn would really be ideal in D'Antoni ball. Those are three guys that love to run downhill on offense from the point. I don't buy Curry as an NBA point guard - he doesn't seem to have the strength or niftiness to get into the paint and consistent finish.

If anything stops Curry, it will be his quickness. He doesn't have the quick first step like a few of the other guys.

Here is how I rate the PGs... in general, not specifically for the Knicks. I don't count Tyreke Evans as a true PG... I wouldn't want him running my team (or on my team necessarily). He will be a SG/combo in the NBA.

1. Ricky Rubio
2. Brandon Jennings
3. Eric Maynor
4. Ty Lawson
5. Stephen Curry

I would take Curry over Lawson if my team already had a solid PG. I think Curry is going to be really good as a 2nd guard (combo).

I think Maynor is going to be really good. I put him over Lawson because of size and defense.

I think all of these ^ guys will be good. I'm not sold on any of the other ones yet, but I'm sure a couple of them could be okay... Teague would be smart to go back to school.

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Ugh. The Clippers with the top pick. Sad day for Blake Griffin.

pfrduke
05-19-2009, 08:59 PM

Eh, lot worse places to spend the first three years of your career than LA.

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 09:02 PM

On the perennial loser? He's from Oklahoma and would have been the hometown favorite a la Derrick Rose in Chicago and LeBron James in Cleveland. I don't see any team coming out of the NBA wasteland solely due to Blake Griffin, but at least on a few other teams there would be some HOPE.

Newton_14
05-19-2009, 09:07 PM

Yes, but history has proved that the LA Clippers is where Number Draft Picks go to die. It's like a curse that cannot be broken.

Poor Blake...He had such promise...

Newton_14
05-19-2009, 09:09 PM
As for the PG's, I actually like Tony Douglas above most of the others available. Especially over Jennings. Douglas has tremendous skills and can defend like a mad man. I think he will be one of the surprise picks in this draft and goes higher than expected...

pfrduke
05-19-2009, 09:13 PM
On the perennial loser? He's from Oklahoma and would have been the hometown favorite a la Derrick Rose in Chicago and LeBron James in Cleveland. I don't see any team coming out of the NBA wasteland solely due to Blake Griffin, but at least on a few other teams there would be some HOPE.

I wish no goodness on the Robber Barons (which, admittedly, may color my judgment here).

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I wish no goodness on the Robber Barons (which, admittedly, may color my judgment here).

Oh... Seattle, WA. I see. Sorry for your loss.

I have no use for the Thunder either. I also think it's a terrible nickname. Almost as bad as the BOBcats.

I was actually hoping for an upset (like Chicago last year). Memphis (2nd pick) would have been better as well.

MADevil30
05-19-2009, 09:28 PM

I think the operative phrase was "first 3 years." I agree Blake won't pull the Clips out of the cellar, but once he plays out his rookie contract he'll move on, and I wouldn't be surprised - if he pans out as expected - if the home town team puts away some cash for him.

As for the pgs, I was a little surprised to see one poster place Eric Maynor in the top five, he's not guy I've heard the heads talking about much. Whats the buzz on him?

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 09:45 PM
As for the pgs, I was a little surprised to see one poster place Eric Maynor in the top five, he's not guy I've heard the heads talking about much. Whats the buzz on him?

Right. I had him in my top 5 PGs and I think he'll go late lottery. He's 6'3", a good shooter, has a good mid-range game, and he's a very good passer. I think ESPN and a few other sites have him in their top 15. I hear he's also pretty clutch in big games...

rotogod00
05-19-2009, 09:49 PM

agreed. i mean, it's the clippers. and they have zach randolph and his immovable contract already at the 4.

btw, chad ford has henderson going 12 to the bobcats

rotogod00
05-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Right. I had him in my top 5 PGs and I think he'll go late lottery. He's 6'3", a good shooter, has a good mid-range game, and he's a very good passer. I think ESPN and a few other sites have him in their top 15. I hear he's also pretty clutch in big games...

chad ford has him going 17 to the sixers

Newton_14
05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
agreed. i mean, it's the clippers. and they have zach randolph and his immovable contract already at the 4.

Let's hope Chad is wrong on this one. I really do not want Gerald in that organization.

FireOgilvie
05-19-2009, 11:08 PM
As for the PG's, I actually like Tony Douglas above most of the others available. Especially over Jennings. Douglas has tremendous skills and can defend like a mad man. I think he will be one of the surprise picks in this draft and goes higher than expected...

The problem with Toney Douglas is that he's only 6'2" (too short for a SG), and he's not a particularly good passer. In fact, at FSU he only averaged 2.9 assists (with 2.5 turnovers). He's too streaky of a shooter, IMO. I'm sure he'll go in the first round, but he's not a pass-first PG, which hurts him (along with his size). I wouldn't be surprised if he was successful in the league, but he has too many things going against him to pick him very high (IMO).

COYS
05-20-2009, 01:13 AM
1. Ricky Rubio
2. Brandon Jennings
3. Eric Maynor
4. Ty Lawson
5. Stephen Curry

I agree with this list. The toughest call for me is Steph Curry. He's got a fast release, is used to shooting over taller defenders, is a good passer though he forces passes at times, and is extremely creative at getting his shot off in the lane. The lack of elite athleticism and height makes it hard for me to see him as a star . . . But on the right team with good depth defensively at the guard spots he might be worth the risk. He's one of those guys that I probably wouldn't pick as an NBA GM but I'd stay awake all night having nightmares about him dropping 30 points and 10 assists on my team after heating up in the fourth quarter and going 5-7 from three or something like that.

After that, Lawson is the biggest risk. He's insanely fast and has a ridiculously quick dribble . . . but he heavily favors his right hand on drives, even though he has a good crossover, is short armed and just plain short overall, and you have to wonder if his insanely good three point shooting percentage this year was a fluke or a new trend. Defenders in the NBA will be taller and more athletic, limiting his effectiveness in the post. On the other hand Jameer Nelson has found success with the Magic so you never know . . .

Billy Dat
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Maybe the Knicks will avoid grabbing a PG in the hopes of winning the 2010 John Wall lottery? (ok, bad joke)

It is interesting that everyone, myself included, are ready to put guys we've barely seen play like Rubio and Jennings ahead of guys we've seen play a lot. I guess that's what the draft is all about...upside...a dollar and a dream.

I, too, feel bad for Griffin. I hate to bash Mike Jrs. daddy, but Dunleavy runs a horrendous organization. As a Knick fan, I love him for taking ZBo's contract off our hands, though.

Here's looking forward to a month of workouts and parsing coflicting media reports from inside sources. The NBA - Where Amazing Happens.

SupaDave
05-20-2009, 10:06 AM
The problem with Toney Douglas is that he's only 6'2" (too short for a SG), and he's not a particularly good passer. In fact, at FSU he only averaged 2.9 assists (with 2.5 turnovers). He's too streaky of a shooter, IMO. I'm sure he'll go in the first round, but he's not a pass-first PG, which hurts him (along with his size). I wouldn't be surprised if he was successful in the league, but he has too many things going against him to pick him very high (IMO).

I recently got a chance to watch Tony Douglas work out in Houston with Damon Stoudamire and John Lucas. Trust me when I tell you that none of the above matters. He is lightning QUICK. I'm talking stealing the in-bounds pass quick. He will not be drafted to be anyone's starting point guard but he will come in the game and have the chance to do what JJ does and did against Ray Allen. He will be in the leauge for a long time.

As far as Curry goes - you can't tell me he's any slower than Rip Hamilton, Reggie Miller, or Ray Allen. He's a ball screen kinda player who will go to a ball screen kinda team. He'll bulk up SOME but it's best to look at like he's an AI/Rip kinda player.

COYS
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
As far as Curry goes - you can't tell me he's any slower than Rip Hamilton, Reggie Miller, or Ray Allen. He's a ball screen kinda player who will go to a ball screen kinda team. He'll bulk up SOME but it's best to look at like he's an AI/Rip kinda player.

I think that would be no problem at all if he had the same height as Miller, Allen, or Hamilton. Being 6'3'' (and more likely 6'2'') is a big caution flag. Otherwise, I agree. He's an immense talent and about as pure a scorer as you will ever find. If he can pull off playing at pg on a team with a number of other playmakers, I think he could make quite the splash in the league.

Matches
05-20-2009, 11:31 AM

Did you see him interviewed on ESPN after the lottery? He said all the right things but he looked like he was about to throw up. Can't say I blame him.

I wish the NBA would do away with the weighted lottery system and just give each non-playoff team one ping-pong ball. I see no reason to reward the Clippers' ineptitude with high picks almost every year.

Add me to the list of people not sold on Curry as an NBA player. He'll have a long career but I don't know that he'll ever be all that good. His PG skills are average at best, and he's undersized as an NBA 2.

SilkyJ
05-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Very much agreed. Bilas had him 1 spot ahead of Lawson in his top 14 players available list (something like #s 12 and 13).

Bilas also called Rubio something to the effect of "a sure bet to be a star one day." I have been pretty skeptical on Rubio, but if Bilas feels that strongly, then count me as slowly migrating to the other side...

Maybe I am seeing the world through Tobacco Road colored glasses, but I think I'm about ready for Ty Lawson to be on my team rather than breaking my heart....I don't think he's too small. I think Evans is an amazing talent, but he's not a good shooter.

Call me crazy but I'm with you. I think, obviously, that lawson would do pretty well in that system...but more importantly I think he's just underrated overall, probably b/c of his size. I think he ought to be a top 10 pick, no question, maybe even a top 5.

Living in SF, allow me to ardently disagree :D

A-Tex Devil
05-20-2009, 11:56 AM
Man o man, if the Thunder had gotten that pick. Durant and Griffin would be terrifying together. Once Durant figures out defense, he's going to be a top 5 player (just look at his shooting percentages and scoring in the last half of the season). He's going to be better than Carmelo when all is said and done.

Still -- that team has to be the new Trailblazers, right? They'll end up getting Ricky Rubio and then trot out a starting 5 of Swift/Krstic, Durant, Green, Westbrook, Rubio?

Or they get Thabeet?

If the Durant/Green/Westbrook combo continues to improve, they'll be very very good soon. Too bad what their owner did to Seattle makes them inherently detestable. There are so many players to love on that team.

Reddevil
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Unlike all of the other pro leagues, NBA draft night is heavy with trades. Hopefully, the basketball gods will see to it that Griffin finds his way to - well anywhere else, and the Clips get Thabeet.:D

arnie
05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Let's hope Chad is wrong on this one. I really do not want Gerald in that organization.

Don't worry - they'll take Hansbro as their next saviour with that pick.

arydolphin
05-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Man o man, if the Thunder had gotten that pick. Durant and Griffin would be terrifying together. Once Durant figures out defense, he's going to be a top 5 player (just look at his shooting percentages and scoring in the last half of the season). He's going to be better than Carmelo when all is said and done.

Still -- that team has to be the new Trailblazers, right? They'll end up getting Ricky Rubio and then trot out a starting 5 of Swift/Krstic, Durant, Green, Westbrook, Rubio?

Or they get Thabeet?

If the Durant/Green/Westbrook combo continues to improve, they'll be very very good soon. Too bad what their owner did to Seattle makes them inherently detestable. There are so many players to love on that team.

The Clippers have already said they're taking Griffin, even though they already have 3 other big men (Randolph, Camby, Kaman) on their roster. So the real intrigue begins at #2 with Memphis. They may want Rubio, but if they take Rubio, they're basically saying that they've given up on Mike Conley, who they drafted in the first round 2 years ago. Still, Rubio and OJ Mayo would be a good backcourt, and both guys can handle the ball well. I'm not sure that OJ Mayo is a true 2-guard, but Rubio could function as a distributor and OJ could be more of a scorer. Don't forget that in terms of adjusting to the US, Memphis is a good landing spot for Rubio given that Marc Gasol is already on the Grizzlies.

However, there is some thought that the Grizzlies are really high on Thabeet to play alongside Gasol in a twin-towers setup. If that happens and Rubio drops, I'm not sure the Zombie Sonics (as Bill Simmons calls them) would hop on Rubio, since they just took Russell Westbrook at #4 last year to play the point. Westbrook and Rubio on the court together would be a strange mix because neither is a good shooter and I don't think either of them is big enough to play 2-guard. Also, don't forget that OKC tried to trade for Tyson Chandler last year, it's obvious they wanted help down low. Thabeet has a LONG way to go offensively, but from a defensive standpoint, he'd help OKC a lot. I still think that Rubio goes #2 and Thabeet goes #3.

Also, I think that Brandon Jennings will be a star in the league. His year in Europe has helped him mature a ton (read draftexpress.com for updates on him from Europe), and his speed will make him a very valuable player in today's NBA. I've seen him going as high as #4 to the Kings, and wouldn't be surprised if he goes in the top 5. His shot is a weak point right now, but his speed will allow him to get to the basket and his shot will have time to develop.

One last thing: Stephen Curry in Mike D'Antoni's offense next year? Talk about a great fit....and isn't some guy named Lebron a huge fan of Curry? If the Knicks don't take Curry, I'll be shocked.

pamtar
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Just wanted to put my two cents on paper. Now I can refer to this post throughout the next few years in order to further prove my genius. ;)

Tyreke Evans will be the best player out of this year's draft. G will not be drafted by Charlotte. Blake Griffen will be plagued by injuries.

Draftadamus has spoken.

FireOgilvie
05-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Just wanted to put my two cents on paper. Now I can refer to this post throughout the next few years in order to further prove my genius. ;)

Tyreke Evans will be the best player out of this year's draft. G will not be drafted by Charlotte. Blake Griffen will be plagued by injuries.

Draftadamus has spoken.

Bold predictions. Blake Griffin has hurt his knees a few times and come back right away. He's built like a tank. I don't see him being particularly injury prone (he's no Greg Oden). Also, I hope you're wrong on Tyreke Evans. I want G to be the best!

Duke #33
05-21-2009, 01:58 AM
I know there are plenty of these, but here is another. http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AvHytJbepryt78dEBwfTfIi8vLYF?slug=ys-mockdraft052009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns I like this one because it has a paragraph talking about each player. Interestingly though, it has G going to the Bobcats, which doesn't seem like his likely destination.

brevity
05-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Is everyone sold on the idea that Blake Griffin will be a much better pro than anyone else in the 2009 Draft?

I get that he's the closest to a sure thing, and that he's a lock for the #1 overall pick, but if I'm the Clippers, I'd have to consider what I could get in a trade.

Oklahoma City has the #3 pick and would essentially overcompensate just to get the hometown hero. The Clippers would get that pick, plus maybe a 2010 1st rounder and a current OKC player. (Basically, anyone on that inexpensive roster not named Durant or Westbrook.)

Memphis would most likely draft Ricky Rubio at #2, which is fine by the Clippers as they don't need a PG. Whoever they would take at #3 -- Thabeet, Hill, Harden, or another -- won't be a headliner like Griffin, but may ultimately be part of the smarter end of the deal.

I'm of the belief that the holder of a #1 pick should always think about trading down, especially if multiple players/picks can come out of it.

A-Tex Devil
05-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Is everyone sold on the idea that Blake Griffin will be a much better pro than anyone else in the 2009 Draft?

I get that he's the closest to a sure thing, and that he's a lock for the #1 overall pick, but if I'm the Clippers, I'd have to consider what I could get in a trade.

Oklahoma City has the #3 pick and would essentially overcompensate just to get the hometown hero. The Clippers would get that pick, plus maybe a 2010 1st rounder and a current OKC player. (Basically, anyone on that inexpensive roster not named Durant or Westbrook.)

Memphis would most likely draft Ricky Rubio at #2, which is fine by the Clippers as they don't need a PG. Whoever they would take at #3 -- Thabeet, Hill, Harden, or another -- won't be a headliner like Griffin, but may ultimately be part of the smarter end of the deal.

I'm of the belief that the holder of a #1 pick should always think about trading down, especially if multiple players/picks can come out of it.

That's certainly a possibility. I could see some kind of 3 team deal where the Clips are able to dump the pick and maybe even Zach Randolph's contract (especially if it expires after next year, because an expiring crappy contract is gold in the NBA) in exchange for other picks and players. Or Krstic/Swift, Jeff Green and the #3 for the #1? Hmmmmm.......

Make no mistake, though, other than defensively (which will come), Griffin is the real deal. Even though his team got throttled, he absolutely worked Hansborough and pretty much exposed what TH will be at the next level. He's already stronger than most PFs in the NBA. He's essentially a bigger, faster, stronger Carlos Boozer. That can't be bad, right?

The only other potential all-stars I see in this class are the high risk/high reward guys (DeRozan, Jennings, Rubio). I'm sure a few others will end up surprising, but none that I would put money on. Thabeet will end up being a little better than Mutombo, I think, which is nothing to sneeze at, but that type of player can't be the best player on a championship team.

And why are people high on Jeff Harden? Seems like a solid role player for many years, but a top 5 pick? Just not seeing it.

COYS
05-21-2009, 04:50 PM
And why are people high on Jeff Harden? Seems like a solid role player for many years, but a top 5 pick? Just not seeing it.

I haven't been able to figure this one out. Doesn't seem to be too much upside with a guy like Harden. He has less in the point guard skills department than does Curry, even though he's got an inch of height on him. I've always viewed the two as a wash. They're both big time scorers in college who lack ideal height and athleticism for an NBA shooting guard but aren't pure points, either. I'm not sure why Harden gets to much more hype.

BlueintheFace
05-21-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't see Griffin being any better a pro than Beasley is now. I'll take one or two guards in this draft class over Griffin in the long run. I actually believe Flynn will be the best player in this class.

I'd also like to predict Henderson to the Suns (I have no reason to believe this other than a gut feeling)

NSDukeFan
05-23-2009, 09:29 AM
That's certainly a possibility. I could see some kind of 3 team deal where the Clips are able to dump the pick and maybe even Zach Randolph's contract (especially if it expires after next year, because an expiring crappy contract is gold in the NBA) in exchange for other picks and players. Or Krstic/Swift, Jeff Green and the #3 for the #1? Hmmmmm.......

Make no mistake, though, other than defensively (which will come), Griffin is the real deal. Even though his team got throttled, he absolutely worked Hansborough and pretty much exposed what TH will be at the next level. He's already stronger than most PFs in the NBA. He's essentially a bigger, faster, stronger Carlos Boozer. That can't be bad, right?

The only other potential all-stars I see in this class are the high risk/high reward guys (DeRozan, Jennings, Rubio). I'm sure a few others will end up surprising, but none that I would put money on. Thabeet will end up being a little better than Mutombo, I think, which is nothing to sneeze at, but that type of player can't be the best player on a championship team.

I think in a lot of cases, trading down may be a good idea, but I like your response. I agree with Brevity, in questioning whether Griffin will end up as the best player in the draft, but I would compare it to taking the field vs. Tiger at a golf tournament. I would take the field, but Griffin is the closest to a sure thing, and I think is less likely to be a bust than anyone at #3.
I think your take on Thabeet seems reasonable, and I don't know if you can expect someone more than a little better than Mutombo at the #3 spot. This draft will yield some good players as surprises, but I think there will also be a lot of busts.
I think the reason James Harden is projected so well, I think is mostly because he reminds people of Brandon Roy, though I don't know if he is as athletic. But, he plays a pretty smooth game without a lot of wasted effort.
Just my two cents.
Go J.J. and the Magic. (at least he played last night and made a solid contribution stat-wise, I didn't see the game.)

Double DD
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-calathes-turning-pro-greece-052309,0,5121197.story

The deal, sources said, will pay Calathes around $1.1 million per year, in addition to providing him with a home, car and tax credits, making for a total package commensurate to what the NBA rookie salary scale provides a late-lottery selection.
Draft analysts projected the 6-foot-5, 185-pounder to go late in the first round, though Dallas, picking 22nd, was believed to be very interested after hosting the first-team All-SEC selection for a workout last week.

NBA teams still may select Calathes in the June 25 draft and would retain his future rights. The contract with Panathinaikos is believed to have a buyout option, as well.

In one of the more interesting twists in this draft, it looks like Nick Calathes might head to Greece next year, instead of the NBA. It looks like he'll make more money on this contract than he would as a late first rounder and if it pushes him into the 2nd, he won't be limited by the rookie contract scale if he comes back over and has some success there. Plus Panathinaikos is one of the top teams in Europe and if he gets some PT, he'll probably get to develop more than he would staying in the SEC.

COYS
05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-calathes-turning-pro-greece-052309,0,5121197.story

In one of the more interesting twists in this draft, it looks like Nick Calathes might head to Greece next year, instead of the NBA. It looks like he'll make more money on this contract than he would as a late first rounder and if it pushes him into the 2nd, he won't be limited by the rookie contract scale if he comes back over and has some success there. Plus Panathinaikos is one of the top teams in Europe and if he gets some PT, he'll probably get to develop more than he would staying in the SEC.

I think this will happen more and more frequently . . . and honestly, I like that it's happening. Strong basketball leagues in europe will only improve basketball around the world.

SupaDave
05-25-2009, 10:05 AM

I wonder how Florida fans feel about this. Do they think Billy D is losing control of the program - the last 5 months have been rough for the program - thank God for Boynton. OR is this a direct result of Boynton. This intrigues me greatly.

superdave
05-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I wonder how Florida fans feel about this. Do they think Billy D is losing control of the program - the last 5 months have been rough for the program - thank God for Boynton. OR is this a direct result of Boynton. This intrigues me greatly.

They have a good shot at Knight too for 2010. But yeah, Donovon gives off a whif of Matt Doherty.

johaad
05-27-2009, 02:44 PM

The one thing I've learned about gator fans after living in the heart of gator country, is that they are the loudest when they are up, but the quietest when they are down. I haven't heard any talk of gator basketball since half way through last season (and I love it). I just can't wait till UF football is down too. Then central florida will be nice and quiet.

BlueinBlo
05-28-2009, 02:01 PM
The pre draft combine is on ESPNU right now.

2:00 pm Thursday May 28th,2009

shoutingncu
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Scottie Reynolds pulls out of draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11837450

SupaDave
06-09-2009, 04:58 PM

That's pretty big...

CDu
06-09-2009, 07:38 PM

Wow. And here I thought he was a senior. Villanova benefits from that decision for sure.

shoutingncu
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11841955

Duke #33
06-10-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/11841955

lol!;)