PDA

View Full Version : (Redacted adjective) article on Duke recruiting

Lucho
05-17-2009, 11:12 AM
I wrote up a piece on why Duke can't contend for a national title anymore and I'd love to hear what you think. As a Duke fan, it is certainly frustrating to see the Blue Devils plateau every season come March.

http://www.examiner.com/x-726-College-Sports-Examiner~y2009m5d15-Five-reasons-Duke-cant-compete-anymore-in-the-NCAA-Tournament

kramerbr
05-17-2009, 11:22 AM
I wrote up a piece on why Duke can't contend for a national title anymore and I'd love to hear what you think. As a Duke fan, it is certainly frustrating to see the Blue Devils plateau every season come March.

http://www.examiner.com/x-726-College-Sports-Examiner~y2009m5d15-Five-reasons-Duke-cant-compete-anymore-in-the-NCAA-Tournament

"But instead of Patterson, Coach K brought in Kyle Singler, who is a very good college player, but does little when it comes to a post presence."

Coach K was trying to bring in Patterson along with Singler. Patterson was the backup to Brandon Wright.

What's with the two youtube videos mocking Zoubek and Paulus???

Kind of seems like the type of article that would blame Wojo for not "developing" big man...

roywhite
05-17-2009, 11:40 AM

Having trouble finding an audience?

I didn't find the article particularly interesting; some theories we've heard before.

I don't agree with your point, but I guess we'll see how things go in the next few years with respect to NCAA Tournament success.

JasonEvans
05-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Folks, a conversation about an obvious and yet ridiculously flawed article is not appropriate for this thread, which is supposed to be dedicated to a discussion of John Wall. This article is far too general to belong here so I am giving it its own thread.

That said, I hope we can stop replying and discussing it. No reason to give the author of this silliness any more hits. The article simply is not worth it.

I did get a kick out of this line: "But instead of Patterson, Coach K brought in Kyle Singler..." as if K chose to recruit Singler but not Patterson. The foolish author must think that Coach K just gets to pick which recruits he wants and those kids automatically show up in Durham the next year. No allowance for recruiting a kid who then picks somewhere else, huh?

--Jason "these posts originated in the John Wall thread" Evans

KandG
05-17-2009, 12:52 PM
This article is Bleacher Report level stuff. Was it a joint effort from all the posters that have been banned here?

The only thing that was missing was a bullet point questioning Coach K's travel schedule in April, and how irresponsible it was to schedule a book tour. Oh, and Greg Paulus' "I Kissed a Boy" YouTube viral "sensation". Got to make sure to get that in there to hammer home the point about Duke's recruiting "troubles".

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Folks, a conversation about an obvious and yet ridiculously flawed article is not appropriate for this thread, which is supposed to be dedicated to a discussion of John Wall. This article is far too general to belong here so I am giving it its own thread.

That said, I hope we can stop replying and discussing it. No reason to give the author of this silliness any more hits. The article simply is not worth it.

I did get a kick out of this line: "But instead of Patterson, Coach K brought in Kyle Singler..." as if K chose to recruit Singler but not Patterson. The foolish author must think that Coach K just gets to pick which recruits he wants and those kids automatically show up in Durham the next year. No allowance for recruiting a kid who then picks somewhere else, huh?

--Jason "these posts originated in the John Wall thread" Evans
Whether it's actually "lousy" or not, I take offense to a mod actually giving it that title, if you were the one to name it. The poster wrote it and asked for an opinion. You could have let that opinion be argued within the thread itself instead of posting your own opinion as the title.
If you didn't name it, then I apologize for the assumption, but most in thread posts (if it was in the Wall thread) are not already titled.

JasonEvans
05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Whether it's actually "lousy" or not, I take offense to a mod actually giving it that title, if you were the one to name it. The poster wrote it and asked for an opinion. You could have let that opinion be argued within the thread itself instead of posting your own opinion as the title.
If you didn't name it, then I apologize for the assumption, but most in thread posts (if it was in the Wall thread) are not already titled.

Fair enough. I took the word lousy out of the thread title.

-Jason

SupaDave
05-17-2009, 01:06 PM

Quite frankly if you post an article you've written blasting a program on it's supporter's message board then you deserve what you get.

Would you post your paintings on UK's message board and then proceed to tell them that their football team's recruiting sucks? I doubt it.

Edouble
05-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Gotta love this part:

"As far as I know, the athletic Corey Maggette, the financially strapped Luol Deng, and the unwise William Avery are the only Duke players to ever leave after one season in Durham for the NBA. And both of those players were before the asinine "one year post-high school" rule."

Avery left after one season? Hmmm, that's not how I remember it.

I like how the author refers to a group of three as "both".

This whole thread is your classic case of a lousy author creating a profile just so he can post his article on the DBR Boards in hopes that it gets some hits. The author has no interest in adding anything to the DBR community. I am suprised and disappointed that this sorry excuse for a thread has not been closed.

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Quite frankly if you post an article you've written blasting a program on it's supporter's message board then you deserve what you get.

Would you post your paintings on UK's message board and then proceed to tell them that their football team's recruiting sucks? I doubt it.
I wouldn't do that, but IF I did, I would like the discussion to be contained within the thread, not decided upon with the title, and I would hope the mods would take the higher road.
As far as the article itself goes, I think it's pretty well written. It can do without the videos, but at least the writer has taken the time to argue his points and has thought them out. They are the writer's opinions, and not every reader will agree with them. Some points I do agree with, like his take on the number of combo guards Duke has. Several of DBR's own posters questioned the Olympics affect on Duke recruting while he was involved. Now that he is done and won the gold, we all loved it, but there was talk before Beijing occured of people wondering if it the recruits we lost were affected by his commitments outside of Duke. Similar to posters questioning K's book tour and did it affect Wall and the rescheduled visit.
I think the writer would have been better off by writing without so much of an upfront opinion.
"Did Coach K really think that Brian Zoubek would develop into a quality banger down low?" Well of course he did, statements like that won't go far to support the idea that this is a balanced article, and comes off as attacking.
Anyways, due to a little too much emotion coming through the words, I'd say the article could have been better written, or more correctly have been called an editorial. Some valid points, but on the whole the diagnosis is flawed.

SupaDave
05-17-2009, 01:35 PM
It is a piece of subjective, poorly researched drivel designed to get hits. It's basically idiotic b/c he uses one and dones as an example and then says we can't get them. Which brings me to McRoberts who WAS a one and done and we managed to get him to stay two. Shavlik was injured and saw an opportunity after apparently some very good behind the scenes conversations. Based on this article we also missed out on OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas Roberts, Blake Griffin, Tywon Lawson, and blah blah blah - any other top recruit who didn't choose Duke.

As evidenced by what will be a very special class of 2010, I recommend folks not read to much into the article - unless you just want a chuckle b/c even he knows there aren't many other programs that have had this type of run.

A run I tell you! And it doesn't look like it's gonna stop any time soon.

I want some of you to sit back and think about that roster could look like in 2010 and tell me you don't feel like smiling.

Seriously, this has been on my mind. All this griping and moaning about what we don't have and all I keep seeing is what we're putting together. Call me different. That's just how I live my life. The glass is always half-full.

I'm jacking this thread b/c the article IS lousy.

So far the 2010 roster looks like this...

Miles Plumlee - Jr. F/C
Mason Plumlee - Soph C/F
Ryan Kelly - Soph - F
Kyle Singler* - Sr. - F
Andre Dawkins - Fr. - G (more studly by the day by the way)
Josh Hairston - Fr. F (will probably be more like Lance coming off the bench)
Tyler Thornton - Fr. - very steady true point, strong leader and best in half-court
Olek - Jr. - F - some muscle off the bench who could grow into a Dahntay Jones role
Nolan Smith - Sr - G - definitely in his prime by this time and working on his NBA form
Seth Curry - Soph - G - Oh Jesus!!
Harrison Barnes* - Fresh - G - you better believe we have room
Kyrie Irving* - Fresh - G - silky smooth...
John Wall* - Soph - G - did I just say that?
Elliott Williams - Jr. - G - you thought I'd forgotten? Ha ha! Should be a monster by this time.
And I know that we are in the hunt for another post player...

So eat it. That's our potential team in 2010. Right around the corner but you can hate me now....

jimsumner
05-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Where else but DBR can you get the word "redacted" in an edited thread title?

Kudos.

By the way, did you know that K elected to recruit Gerald Henderson instead of Greg Oden and Henderson doesn't help at all at center. The horrors.

johaad
05-17-2009, 02:18 PM
It is a piece of subjective, poorly researched drivel designed to get hits. It's basically idiotic b/c he uses one and dones as an example and then says we can't get them. Which brings me to McRoberts who WAS a one and done and we managed to get him to stay two. Shavlik was injured and saw an opportunity after apparently some very good behind the scenes conversations. Based on this article we also missed out on OJ Mayo, Derrick Rose, Chris Douglas Roberts, Blake Griffin, Tywon Lawson, and blah blah blah - any other top recruit who didn't choose Duke.

As evidenced by what will be a very special class of 2010, I recommend folks not read to much into the article - unless you just want a chuckle b/c even he knows there aren't many other programs that have had this type of run.

A run I tell you! And it doesn't look like it's gonna stop any time soon.

I want some of you to sit back and think about that roster could look like in 2010 and tell me you don't feel like smiling.

Seriously, this has been on my mind. All this griping and moaning about what we don't have and all I keep seeing is what we're putting together. Call me different. That's just how I live my life. The glass is always half-full.

I'm jacking this thread b/c the article IS lousy.

So far the 2010 roster looks like this...

Miles Plumlee - Jr. F/C
Mason Plumlee - Soph C/F
Ryan Kelly - Soph - F
Kyle Singler* - Sr. - F
Andre Dawkins - Fr. - G (more studly by the day by the way)
Josh Hairston - Fr. F (will probably be more like Lance coming off the bench)
Tyler Thornton - Fr. - very steady true point, strong leader and best in half-court
Olek - Jr. - F - some muscle off the bench who could grow into a Dahntay Jones role
Nolan Smith - Sr - G - definitely in his prime by this time and working on his NBA form
Seth Curry - Soph - G - Oh Jesus!!
Harrison Barnes* - Fresh - G - you better believe we have room
Kyrie Irving* - Fresh - G - silky smooth...
John Wall* - Soph - G - did I just say that?
Elliott Williams - Jr. - G - you thought I'd forgotten? Ha ha! Should be a monster by this time.
And I know that we are in the hunt for another post player...

So eat it. That's our potential team in 2010. Right around the corner but you can hate me now....

This sent shivers down my back. When I think of the potential for 2010, it just amazes me. And then I think about the potential for next year (2009), which, by the way, is also very good. I too am a glass half full guy with Duke basketball.

And as far as the article goes, wow. I haven't seen such an attempt at quality, without having the skills to back it up in a long time. I hate to dog a guy for trying to write an article, but I think the manner that this found it's way to DBR allows for such criticism. And my guess, this guy with one post on DBR isn't a Duke fan. Is it possible?

jv001
05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
I first thought tar hole, tar hole..Certainly not a Blue Devil Fan. Go Duke!

Jumbo
05-17-2009, 04:28 PM
The "article" (if you can even call it that) is dumb, and probably deserves to be cited as spam. The subsequent discussion is also of little value. Thread's closed.