PDA

View Full Version : BC Football Player Diagnosed With Cancer

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2009, 01:12 AM
This just flat out sucks. (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9574492/Boston-College-LB-Herzlich-diagnosed-with-cancer)I hate reading about anyone having any illness, but it's worse when they are young. BC's (and the ACC's best defender) Mark Herzlich was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma. Best wishes towards a return to full health and to a return to the field.

Reddevil
05-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Just a few weeks ago we were wondering if he would apply for the draft, but these events put things in perspective don' t they? Best of luck to him!

Newton_14
05-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Very sad to see this happen to a guy this young. Very sad about Wayman Tisdale as well. Anyone know if the cancer Herzlich has is the same type Tisdale had? Just wondering with both being in the leg. I really hope this can be treated and the young man can lead a long healthy life.

Bostondevil
05-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Ewing's sarcoma is treatable so, Herzlich has a chance. The other piece of great news is, of course, that he is in Boston. Between MGH and the Dana Farber/Jimmy Fund, he'll be treated at a world leader either way. How old is he? I wonder if he'll be treated as a pediatric patient? Late teens is, I think, a fairly common time for Ewing's sarcoma to be diagnosed. I've met some kids at MGH with Ewing's sarcoma. If he's doing the radiation route, MGH has the proton beam. If it's chemotherapy, either place is good although Dana Farber is biggger and has more research dollars and more clinical trials. MGH has the rep of being more conservative on the oncology side of things.

(Ronnie was not enrolled in a clincal trial during his treatment at MGH but given the outcome, I'm grateful.)

Bostondevil
05-16-2009, 12:06 PM
But darn, I just hate reading stories like this. Makes me want to run one more marathon.