PDA

View Full Version : Newsome out

jimsumner
05-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Former Duke football player Clarence Newsome is out as president of Shaw University.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1526478.html

roywhite
05-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Former Duke football player Clarence Newsome is out as president of Shaw University.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1526478.html

Saw that; I remember C.G. from back in the day...one of Duke's first black scholarship FB players...nice guy.

Shaw University is a challenging situation, just not very well funded.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-14-2009, 11:44 AM
It's unfortunate that some want to blame Dr. Newsome for the financial woes which have plagued Shaw for years. I hope the next step in his career is one which maximizes his talents and skill.

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
It's unfortunate that some want to blame Dr. Newsome for the financial woes which have plagued Shaw for years. I hope the next step in his career is one which maximizes his talents and skill.
At least he gets a paid year off to figure out what that next step is.

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-14-2009, 01:18 PM
At least he gets a paid year off to figure out what that next step is.
That is true, but a year's salary won't reverse any damage done to his reputation as a result of the comments and accusations being thrown about.

CameronBornAndBred
05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
That is true, but a year's salary won't reverse any damage done to his reputation as a result of the comments and accusations being thrown about.
That's very true. It seems he may be more a victim of the economy on the whole than only at Shaw.

SmartDevil
05-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't know the facts regarding all this but I remember knowing C.G. well from the football program, and, based on that, it has always been my opinion that he was an extremely bright and talented person of the highest character.

The fingerpointing and innuendo that is going on among disgruntled students, alumni, etc. seems to be quite unfair.

I hope people will remember the lessons of the lacrosse hoax and not make judgments based on fragments of information which may or may not have validity.