PDA

View Full Version : Braves

wilson
04-15-2007, 09:16 AM
JasonEvans, steven[numbers], et. al.:

Mark Redman is showing signs of possibly being historically bad. What are the Braves going to do about a #5 starter?

Channing
04-15-2007, 12:53 PM
I dont know. Its times like these where I really wish we hadnt traded away so many promising young arms like Wainwright (sp?) and Capellan (sp?).

One thing we do have is a very nice tradeable piece. Wasnt Brayan Pena our top prospect last year? He isnt going to get much run behind the plate for us in the near future with McCann, and unless they are planning on moving him to first it would seem to make sense fo rhte braves and for his career to try and move him, potentially for a good young arm.

As for callups - Trey Hodges was pretty successful in Richmond once he got himself healthy, and has experience on the major league level. Also, a kid out of UGA, Will Stardup has flown up the ladder starting at Myrtle Beach and now in Richmond - I dont know if the Braves plan on using him as a starter or closer after Wickman - but he is playing great ball also.

Jarhead
04-15-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't get it. So Redman, the #5 starter, has lost a couple. That's not enough to start whining about the staff so early in the season. Chill, guys. A bit early to say it, but as of now the Braves have the best record in MLB.

Channing
04-15-2007, 04:35 PM
So because number 1 - 4 have done well we cant discuss possible ways to improve number 5? Its all conjecture - thats what fans do. We arent whining - just discussing other possibilities.

wilson
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I dont know. Its times like these where I really wish we hadnt traded away so many promising young arms like Wainwright (sp?) and Capellan (sp?).

One thing we do have is a very nice tradeable piece. Wasnt Brayan Pena our top prospect last year? He isnt going to get much run behind the plate for us in the near future with McCann, and unless they are planning on moving him to first it would seem to make sense fo rhte braves and for his career to try and move him, potentially for a good young arm.

As for callups - Trey Hodges was pretty successful in Richmond once he got himself healthy, and has experience on the major league level. Also, a kid out of UGA, Will Stardup has flown up the ladder starting at Myrtle Beach and now in Richmond - I dont know if the Braves plan on using him as a starter or closer after Wickman - but he is playing great ball also.

While Brayan Pena is certainly a nice prospect at catcher, I think you're confusing him with Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is considered the best prospect in the Braves' system, and possibly the best catcher prospect anywhere. In fact, many expect him to be so good that there has been talk of moving him to 1B so as not to be forced to choose between him and Brian McCann. I actually like that idea, which is not without precedent. Paul LoDuca, for example, has played some infield (and if I'm not mistaken, some outfield?).

As for the closer of the future, Schuerholz et. al. have forthrightly indicated that they intend for Rafael Soriano to fulfill that role. Again, I love it; that kid is filthy.

Channing
04-16-2007, 02:03 PM
you are right - I had Pena mixed up with Saltalamachia. In that case with Soriano, perhaps they want to look at Stardup as a starter, although my guess is he is a year or two away.

Whatever happened to Joey Devine? He was pretty highly regarded out of NC State and I think got thrown to the wolves too soon.

wilson
04-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Devine is currently with the AA Mississippi Braves. He has compiled a 1.42 ERA and 10 K's in 6+ innings pitched thus far this season:
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Joey%2520Devine&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=457733

It seems that he is progressing nicely, and certainly at a far more fair pace than his first September callup (and subsequent playoff pitching) assumed.