PDA

View Full Version : NC State Senate honors Tarheels

LaettnerWannabe
05-01-2009, 09:09 AM
This is an example of why it can really suck to be a Duke fan in North Carolina. It may be good natured fun but I doubt the Senate would pass a similar resolution, with jabs at UNC, if Duke were to win it all.:rolleyes:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/165289-and-now-the-government-is-poking-fun-at-duke

Devil in the Blue Dress
05-01-2009, 10:37 AM
This is an example of why it can really suck to be a Duke fan in North Carolina. It may be good natured fun but I doubt the Senate would pass a similar resolution, with jabs at UNC, if Duke were to win it all.:rolleyes:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/165289-and-now-the-government-is-poking-fun-at-duke
Most people who read such statements consider the source and move on.

LaettnerWannabe
05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Most people who read such statements consider the source and move on.

Maybe so, but we vote for those who make up the source and I would prefer that they concern themselves with more pressing issues. Thinking up ways to sneak in little jabs at Duke is not one of them. I would rather they think of creative ways to keep our teachers employed.

DukieInKansas
05-01-2009, 04:04 PM
At least they worked the Helms National Championship into the resolution.

MulletMan
05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I would rather they think of creative ways to keep our teachers employed.

Regardless of the stuff about Duke, this is exactly what I was thinking. State employees haven't recieved paychecks in weeks. NC State is effectively shutdown, and teachers are essentially living day-to-day wondering if they're going to have jobs for the remainder of this year or next year.

Good thing these imbeciles are writing resolutions to kiss the behinds of some college basketball players. Well done reps. Be expecting some letters and phone calls.

Sobriquet
05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
This is what living in NC as a Duke fan is like. A lot of out of staters got a VERY brief taste of this while at Duke, but most of that was from people working at a store or off-campus eatery, and it came in the form of snide comments. Most of that wasn't that blatent, because the UNC fan was hoping for either a tip or repeat business.

But away from the cozy comfines of Durham Duke is a swear word. These people don't consider us to be human beings. They hate Duke.

I really think many of the posters on this board have no idea of the hatred for our beloved school exists in this state.

The only thing better than UNC's titles was the 95 season at Duke. I am not kidding one iota in saying that.

They hate us, and that can be a lot for a recruit to deal with.

I cannot think of any program, in any sport, anywhere on earth, that has thrived as much as Duke Hoops while existing deep in enemy territory while being as hated as Duke is.

PS: For all the alums and current students at Duke. If you went to an off campus restaraunt while having an accent that is noticably not southern, and you wore a Duke shirt, you ate food that had been licked by one or more of the cooks/servers. You did. And just tell yourself that was the worst thing that happened to your chow.

MulletMan
05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
This is what living in NC as a Duke fan is like. A lot of out of staters got a VERY brief taste of this while at Duke, but most of that was from people working at a store or off-campus eatery, and it came in the form of snide comments. Most of that wasn't that blatent, because the UNC fan was hoping for either a tip or repeat business.

But away from the cozy comfines of Durham Duke is a swear word. These people don't consider us to be human beings. They hate Duke.

I really think many of the posters on this board have no idea of the hatred for our beloved school exists in this state.

The only thing better than UNC's titles was the 95 season at Duke. I am not kidding one iota in saying that.

They hate us, and that can be a lot for a recruit to deal with.

I cannot think of any program, in any sport, anywhere on earth, that has thrived as much as Duke Hoops while existing deep in enemy territory while being as hated as Duke is.

PS: For all the alums and current students at Duke. If you went to an off campus restaraunt while having an accent that is noticably not southern, and you wore a Duke shirt, you ate food that had been licked by one or more of the cooks/servers. You did. And just tell yourself that was the worst thing that happened to your chow.

Ummm yeah... that's not very accurate in anyway, but go with it if it gets you through the day.

:confused:

rthomas
05-01-2009, 06:31 PM
This is an extremely stupid thread. No, make that supremely stupid.

They won the fricking National Championship. They desrve the accolades. Give me a break cry baby.

weezie
05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Hah, hah, hah...another example of sore-headed, thin-skinned winners, clutching their trophy and shaking it in our faces. It really is too easy to sneer.

SmartDevil
05-02-2009, 01:14 AM
If you don't like it--and I don't blame you for not liking it--write the legislator who represents you and voted for it and tell him he's lost your vote and you'll mobilize your friends and family against him next time he runs for reelection.

And do a litttle research now on his general record and don't let a day go by without telling at least 5 people what a jackass he is for other specific legislative deficiencies.

Help retire him early.

CameronCrazy'11
05-02-2009, 01:31 AM
blah blah blah....elitist.....blah blah blah.....carpetbagger.......blah blah blah........rich kids........blah blah blah.........wins too much.....blah blah blah.

Have I got the Duke=evil argument right?

Kimist
05-02-2009, 03:15 PM
It gets much worse than that....check out this NC Senate resolution:

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/Bills/Senate/HTML/S1100v1.html

Excerpt:

Whereas, the 89‑72 Carolina win over Michigan State was a convincing and thorough victory but one that left intact Duke's record for the worst loss in Final Four history (103‑73 to UNLV in 1990); and

Whereas, the 2008‑2009 title is Carolina's fifth NCAA championship in men's basketball, tying the Tar Heels for third place but giving them more national championships than any other school in North Carolina...

k

dukemsu
05-02-2009, 04:44 PM
My frustration is that UNC rarely gets called out for its failures (8-20), its NBA busts (Cookie Monster, et al), or downright embarassments (Doherty) while Duke's are front-page news.

For a current example: Jordan showed up at the Derby today wearing a yellow suit that looks like my parents' couch from 1978. It's Jalen Rose-bad.

Oh, the outrage if Elton showed up looking like that.

dukemsu

jatotown
05-02-2009, 05:48 PM

UNC should get props, they won. Who cares what some local politicians say? Most of what local politicians do is lame anyway.

godukecom
05-03-2009, 12:34 AM
we have a working political system in North Carolina?

jimsumner
05-03-2009, 03:49 PM
"we have a working political system in North Carolina?"

Best legislature money can buy.

CLT Devil
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM
"we have a working political system in North Carolina?"

Best legislature money can buy.

At least we didn't have this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2gIsUCDDfI

Who is Irving Meyers?

BostonDukeFan
05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
http://bulk.resource.org/gpo.gov/record/2001/2001_S03634.pdf

LaettnerWannabe
05-03-2009, 09:32 PM
http://bulk.resource.org/gpo.gov/record/2001/2001_S03634.pdf

You gotta admit, this one only focused on the positive. No subtle jabs at anyone.

devildownunder
05-04-2009, 12:23 AM

I hope all the Duke fans out there who make statements on DBR such as "I think it's better for the rivalry if Carolina is good, so I cheer for them to win except when they play us" read and appreciate this for what it is.

All I'm saying is I just don't get that "I love my rival" mindset. They sure don't love you.

weezie
05-04-2009, 08:11 AM
You gotta admit, this one only focused on the positive. No subtle jabs at anyone.

Because K-lassy is as K-lassy does.

4decadedukie
05-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I have worked with senior Federal Executive and Legislative branch officials in the DC area since 1982. Obviously, I am jaded and cynical, however, I have a suggestion. NOTHING operates in politics like money. While this is likely the crux of many substantial problems, it is also a certain fact, under our current mores and statutes. A “Duke PAC” needs to be established in North Carolina. I strongly suspect that the judicious allocation of PAC funds – and not “big money,” but rather <$5K – to key legislators would work wonders in altering attitudes and actions.