PDA

View Full Version : Could people try to stay remotely substantive and on-topic in threads

Duke79UNLV77
04-28-2009, 12:46 PM
So, during a quick lunch break I check on the latest on the Wall thread only to find an ongoing debate having something to do with when Elvin Hayes entered grade school. Other times there will be enlightening posts such as "yeah, it would be cool to get Wall."

It seems people want to extend and extend threads for that sole purpose, without adding anything substantive on topic. This becomes unmanageable for those who are actually interested in something substantive and new and can't spend untold hours wading through the rest.

I'm all for free speech on the board, but perhaps people could show a little focus and self-restraint?

gvtucker
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
So, during a quick lunch break I check on the latest on the Wall thread only to find an ongoing debate having something to do with when Elvin Hayes entered grade school. Other times there will be enlightening posts such as "yeah, it would be cool to get Wall."

It seems people want to extend and extend threads for that sole purpose, without adding anything substantive on topic. This becomes unmanageable for those who are actually interested in something substantive and new and can't spend untold hours wading through the rest.

I'm all for free speech on the board, but perhaps people could show a little focus and self-restraint?

You know what that reminds me of?

The Duke/Maryland game in 1981 when Tom Emma hit two clutch free throws at the end of the game to give Duke a 1 point win. Man, that was great.

SMO
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM

So, how about those Mets?

wilson
04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
So, how about those Mets?

Forget the mutts. BRAVES.

Wanna go ride bikes?

BlueintheFace
04-28-2009, 05:23 PM

Wanna go ride bikes?

I hate bike-riding. It leaves you sore in all the wrong places.

Greg_Newton
04-28-2009, 05:47 PM

The Duke/Maryland game in 1981 when Tom Emma hit two clutch free throws at the end of the game to give Duke a 1 point win. Man, that was great.

Boy, what a game. 1981... you know what that reminds me of? Phil Collins. I wonder what he's doing these days. Anyone ever catch him on tour? Heck, Genesis counts too. Hey, did anyone ever have a Sega Genesis? Or how about a Sega Saturn? And what does everyone think of the new Saturn commercials? I never realized how fuel-efficient those cars were, but wow!

Hey and speaking of efficiency, you guys think G is efficient enough of a player to be a lottery pick? Chad Forde doesn't think so, but he also thinks G doesn't have a killer instinct, and I seem to remember him hitting many big shots and FTs to seal big games for us this year. You know what I mean? Kind of like when Tom Emma hit those two clutch free throws in 1981 to give Duke a 1 point win over Maryland. Man, that was great.

(....good point by the OP though)

Faison1
04-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I think Coach K should not do book tours

tommy
04-28-2009, 06:07 PM
When did Dick Vitale start posting here?

devildeac
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM

BTW, who is John Wall?:rolleyes:;)

BD80
04-28-2009, 06:18 PM
I hear Olek is really tearing it up in pick up games and should be starting at small forward, and could get some time at the point.

jimbonelson
04-28-2009, 06:18 PM
this thread is cool

OZZIE4DUKE
04-28-2009, 06:24 PM
This threaed is almost ready to be merged into the LTE on the OT board! :eek::cool::D:p

Duke4Ever32
04-28-2009, 06:32 PM

No way man. RED SOX all the way. They've won ELEVEN in a row!!

devildeac
04-28-2009, 06:33 PM
This threaed is almost ready to be merged into the LTE on the OT board! :eek::cool::D:p

Nooooo!!!!!

Having said that, "it's over."

CameronBornAndBred
04-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I'm just here for the peanuts.

WojoSay?
04-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Is John Riek eligible?

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/docs/images/amd_john_riek.jpg

TriGuy
04-28-2009, 06:48 PM

I agree.

Hancock 4 Duke
04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
say, why do chihauhas have such big ears???

OZZIE4DUKE
04-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Good one, son of Woot! :D:D:D

cl15876
04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Is John Riek eligible?

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/docs/images/amd_john_riek.jpg

Only if this girl can play guard and can get credit for assist!!!

ArkieDukie
04-28-2009, 08:01 PM
I hear Olek is really tearing it up in pick up games and should be starting at small forward, and could get some time at the point.

Here's the big question, though: would he get PT over Nick Horvath?

MChambers
04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Don't you think we need a taller big man coach?

dukefanSD
04-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Did I ever tell y'all about that time I got hammered in Rio with these German guys I met at my hotel?:D

DukieInKansas
04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Here's the big question, though: would he get PT over Nick Horvath?

I hear he's been doing great in New Zealand - or was it Australia? You know, I'd really like to visit Australia. A bicycle tour would be a great way to see Australia. But I hate those long rides when you hit the wall and can't find the energy/power to finish the day.

(Should I have used W in wall to keep it on topic?)

HK Dukie
04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Agreed.

weezie
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
I love you guys! There is nothing like a Dukie :D.

CameronBornAndBred
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Because they fly better.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30448774/?Gt1=43001

jipops
04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Anybody heard the new Neil Young album yet?

SMO
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Don't you think we need a taller big man coach?

I heard he's getting shin implants to add 6 inches. Greg Monroe put him over the edge.

captmojo
04-28-2009, 09:06 PM
Anybody heard the new Neil Young album yet?

I have four John Wall albums. Does that count? :D

Notthatguy
04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Boy, what a game. 1981... you know what that reminds me of? Phil Collins. I wonder what he's doing these days. Anyone ever catch him on tour? Heck, Genesis counts too. Hey, did anyone ever have a Sega Genesis? Or how about a Sega Saturn? And what does everyone think of the new Saturn commercials? I never realized how fuel-efficient those cars were, but wow!

Hey and speaking of efficiency, you guys think G is efficient enough of a player to be a lottery pick? Chad Forde doesn't think so, but he also thinks G doesn't have a killer instinct, and I seem to remember him hitting many big shots and FTs to seal big games for us this year. You know what I mean? Kind of like when Tom Emma hit those two clutch free throws in 1981 to give Duke a 1 point win over Maryland. Man, that was great.

(....good point by the OP though)

the hands down funniest, lol, kick you right in the balls comment I have ever read. Did you really just get off a Phil Collins blast? omg !!!!!!!!!!!

77devil
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
BTW, who is John Wall?:rolleyes:;)

Don't you mean who is John Scott? (guess one had to have lived in Philly)

BD80
04-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I heard he's getting shin implants to add 6 inches. Greg Monroe put him over the edge.

So we can talk about implants and still be on topic?

cl15876
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Because they fly better.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30448774/?Gt1=43001

ROFLMAO - what a visual!!!! Yo quiero, Taco bell? Anyone know if the CAPS win if free taco's will be given away again? That was my B'Day dinner on Oct 28th! World Series Homeruns are awesome!:D:cool:

wilson
04-28-2009, 10:01 PM
LGD!!! GTHC!!! 9f9f9f!!!

Windsor
04-28-2009, 10:07 PM

I thought it was who is John Galt

wilson
04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
the hands down funniest, lol, kick you right in the balls comment I have ever read. Did you really just get off a Phil Collins blast? omg !!!!!!!!!!!

Totally agree. But gee willakers, Greg Newton is a tool.

Bostondevil
04-28-2009, 10:11 PM
PopTarts. Sometimes I like to eat them during games. Especially 9:00 games, that's when PopTarts are the best. Except if I'm having a beer because beer and PopTarts, not so good. But I never have beer, well, almost never so PopTarts are almost always great when I'm watching a game. But not when I'm out watching a game, only when I'm home watching a game. But I never go out to watch games anymore. So, yeah, PopTarts.

wilson
04-28-2009, 10:23 PM
PopTarts. Sometimes I like to eat them during games. Especially 9:00 games, that's when PopTarts are the best. Except if I'm having a beer because beer and PopTarts, not so good. But I never have beer, well, almost never so PopTarts are almost always great when I'm watching a game. But not when I'm out watching a game, only when I'm home watching a game. But I never go out to watch games anymore. So, yeah, PopTarts.

S'mores Pop Tarts are my favorite.

Speaking of which, Samwise Gamgee is probably my favorite character in any literary work ever. If it's not Samwise, then it's Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island.

But anyway, Kellogg's Honey Smacks.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
You can't say that here! But I know a crazie board where you can!

ArkieDukie
04-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Keeping things on-topic, will Scheyer be the starting point guard next year? He's absolutely hilarious. I've seen some of his stuff on YouTube.

Jumbo
04-28-2009, 11:12 PM
This threaed is almost ready to be merged into the LTE on the OT board!

Nah, it's far too intelligent to end up there. (I kid because I care ;) )

And that reminds me -- did you know San Diego is German for "a whale's vagina?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMs93OyvmYY)

WojoSay?
04-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Nah, it's far too intelligent to end up there. (I kid because I care ;) )

And that reminds me -- did you know San Diego is German for "a whale's vagina?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMs93OyvmYY)

Why yes I did...actually a guy in my fantasy football league named his team:
The San Diego Whale Vaginas

In related news: Chuck Norris invited all other "tough guys" from TV to duke it out in order to see who was the supreme "tough guy." Only 2 showed up--Jack Bauer and MacGyver. (tough guy used to keep it clean)

MacGyver immediately pulled out some Qtips and some Gatorade, but Chuck Norris round-housed kicked him in the solar plexus. MacGyver suddenly threw up his own heart.

Jack Bauer tried to use his detailed knowledge of torture techniques, but to no avail: Chuck Norris thrives on pain. Chuck Norris then ripped off Jack Bauer's arm and beat him to death with it.

On the scene officials noted that a certain individual w/ the initials JW didn't show up for this challenge.

91devil
04-28-2009, 11:49 PM
Speaking of Chuck Norris, did you know he counted to infinity? Twice.

SupaDave
04-28-2009, 11:52 PM
See? We have a little fun... :)

2535Miles
04-29-2009, 04:13 AM
S'mores Pop Tarts are my favorite.

Speaking of which, Samwise Gamgee is probably my favorite character in any literary work ever. If it's not Samwise, then it's Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island.

But anyway, Kellogg's Honey Smacks.
How did you feel about his portrayal in the movies? Wait, is that too on-topic of an off-topic question?

SMO
04-29-2009, 08:55 AM

LMAO! You stay classy Jumbo!

devildeac
04-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Good one, son of Woot! :D:D:D

Is that who H4D is? Well, I'll be a ...

moonpie23
04-29-2009, 09:00 AM
if it's not in 1080p, i don't want to watch it...

devildeac
04-29-2009, 09:01 AM

I lived near Philly and I did not know John Scott.

And you sir are no John Kennedy...

devildeac
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM
So we can talk about implants and still be on topic?

Then it would be moved to the Bea Arthur thread on the OTB, especially with the recent pix of Adrienne Barbeau...

SupaDave
04-29-2009, 09:09 AM
I'm more of a Great Gatsby guy myself...

miramar
04-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Okay, guys, let's cut the nonsense and get on a serious topic:

Do you guys think the John Wall thread will reach 2000 hits before or after he commits?

BlueDevilBaby
04-29-2009, 09:37 AM

No poking fun at my boys! (Secretly, I laugh at their big ears every day.)

hurleyfor3
04-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Moderator here. If you folks don't get back on topic, which just to remind you is whether or not Carlos Boozer was fouled at the end of the 2002 Indiana game, I'll be handing out bans immediately.

BD80
04-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Then it would be moved to the Bea Arthur thread on the OTB, especially with the recent pix of Adrienne Barbeau...

Those weren't (aren't) natural? I would say that surgeon was well ahead of his time!

So is John Wall. He is so fast, he could steal the star off of Ranger Walker's chest!

Shammrog
04-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Did you all know that my mom makes the BEST brisket?!?

wilson
04-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Your mama smells like goat cheese.

devildeac
04-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Moderator here. If you folks don't get back on topic, which just to remind you is whether or not Carlos Boozer was fouled at the end of the 2002 Indiana game, I'll be handing out bans immediately.

Aww, c'mon. We already have a thread for that. You're cross-pollinating threads now. No fair.:rolleyes:

Shammrog
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Your mama smells like goat cheese.

Yo mama IS the goat that makes the cheese.

BlueDevilBaby
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Hey, where did DukeUNLV go?

Indoor66
04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Yo mama IS the goat that makes the cheese.

It is always the cheese that binds.

sagegrouse
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM

Hey! I was going to skip this thread because it didn't seem to be remotely interesting. But when I opened it, I see that I am being held up as the poster child for irrelevancy because of my Elvin Hayes story on a grossly overweight and irrelevant John Wall thread.

Here is my core belief with respect to DBR and many other things: Life is a lot like show business. There are no rules, except one. Buddy, you better make it interesting. I contend that that my irrelevant story was more interesting than 99% of the posts on the thread, which was exactly my point in submitting it.

sagegrouse

BlueDevilBaby
04-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey! I was going to skip this thread because it didn't seem to be remotely interesting. But when I opened it, I see that I am being held up as the poster child for irrelevancy because of my Elvin Hayes story on a grossly overweight and irrelevant John Wall thread.

Here is my core belief with respect to DBR and many other things: Life is a lot like show business. There are no rules, except one. Buddy, you better make it interesting. I contend that that my irrelevant story was more interesting than 99% of the posts on the thread, which was exactly my point in submitting it.

sagegrouse

The End!

captmojo
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Okay, guys, let's cut the nonsense and get on a serious topic:

Do you guys think the John Wall thread will reach 2000 hits before or after he commits?

It'll have 2000 hits before Wall wins 2000 Grammys.

CameronBornAndBred
04-29-2009, 07:19 PM
It'll have 2000 hits before Wall wins 2000 Grammys.
So will THIS thread.

2535Miles
04-29-2009, 07:30 PM
Civony is run by a Chinese company.

DukieInKansas
04-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Civony is run by a Chinese company.

How come the female that used to be in the ad showed skin and we don't get to see skin on the male in the ad? That isn't fair!

eta - I'm Mark Alarie! Does that get us back to an "official" EK subject? (If so, I apologize.)

MChambers
04-29-2009, 07:48 PM

sagegrouse

That Jack Marin was traded straight up for the Big E! (I liked your post, BTW.)

cl15876
04-29-2009, 08:28 PM
To stay on topic, I was thinking that the new Ford F-150 is sexy as H E double L! I saw one with Duke blue colors the other day, it made me HOT and bothered!

cl15876
04-29-2009, 08:29 PM
How come the female that used to be in the ad showed skin and we don't get to see skin on the male in the ad? That isn't fair!....

Oh it's fair! It's a woman's world! :D :rolleyes:

ArkieDukie
04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
How come the female that used to be in the ad showed skin and we don't get to see skin on the male in the ad? That isn't fair!

eta - I'm Mark Alarie! Does that get us back to an "official" EK subject? (If so, I apologize.)

Speaking of skin, and getting us back on the topic of basketball, does anyone miss the short shorts that men's basketball players used to wear? Mark Alarie played in the days of the short shorts, so we got to see lots of leg. Today's players, not so much. Which of the current Blue Devils would you want to see in the circa mid-1980s unis that showed more leg?

CameronBornAndBred
04-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Speaking of skin, and getting us back on the topic of basketball, does anyone miss the short shorts that men's basketball players used to wear?
The hot pants? NO. I wonder if they will ever play some "throwback" games like the NFL does. I bet women's viewership goes up while the guys finally go mow the lawn.

Hancock 4 Duke
04-29-2009, 09:43 PM
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG! THIS IS ALL WRONG! THIS THREAD WANTS US TO STAY ON TOPIC, SO GOSH DARNIT, LET'S STAY ON TOPIC. I WILL START. I THINK THAT PEOPLE NEED TO STAY REMOTELY AND SUBSTANTIVE AND ON TOPIC. Is that on topic enough?? Oh, also, I heard the swine flu came from computer batteries from Switzerland because they landed in cow pies. Dang, I am off topic AGAIN! :D

OZZIE4DUKE
04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Speaking of skin, and getting us back on the topic of basketball, does anyone miss the short shorts that men's basketball players used to wear? Mark Alarie played in the days of the short shorts, so we got to see lots of leg. Today's players, not so much. Which of the current Blue Devils would you want to see in the circa mid-1980s unis that showed more leg?
I like short short. Didn't we just have a thread on this?

To stay on topic, I was thinking that the new Ford F-150 is sexy as H E double L! I saw one with Duke blue colors the other day, it made me HOT and bothered!
I'll bet CathyCA was driving it :D

I'm more of a Great Gatsby guy myself...
I grew up in West Egg, aka Great Neck, NY

When's dinner? My mother's is pretty damn good. See Val's Brisket in the recipe thread. I need to compare before I'll let you make that blanket statement.

I know I've wasted a perfectly good opportunity to respond with 4 separate posts here. :mad:

BD80
04-29-2009, 11:46 PM
speaking of skin, and getting us back on the topic of basketball, ... Which of the current blue devils would you want to see in the circa mid-1980s unis that showed more leg?

abby! :d

speedevil2001
04-30-2009, 12:16 AM

I will vote for duke79unlv77

2535Miles
04-30-2009, 12:47 AM

What is the EK? :D

weezie
04-30-2009, 08:13 AM
The hot pants? NO. I wonder if they will ever play some "throwback" games like the NFL does. I bet women's viewership goes up while the guys finally go mow the lawn.

Au contraire. Perhaps playing in unitards would promote more mystery.
That's the ticket, skin tight one piece lycra suits.

CameronBornAndBred
04-30-2009, 08:32 AM
What is the EK?
It is 2/3 of this smiley. :eek:

DukieInKansas
04-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Men's cycling! :D :o

BlueDevilBaby
04-30-2009, 09:37 AM
Heck, bring back short tennis shorts, too. Love those tennis players' legs.

To get back off topic, I am lunching with Mrs. Obama today (with about 1200 other ladies). I can't wait to hear what she has to say.

miramar
04-30-2009, 09:55 AM
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG! THIS IS ALL WRONG! THIS THREAD WANTS US TO STAY ON TOPIC, SO GOSH DARNIT, LET'S STAY ON TOPIC. I WILL START. I THINK THAT PEOPLE NEED TO STAY REMOTELY AND SUBSTANTIVE AND ON TOPIC. Is that on topic enough?? Oh, also, I heard the swine flu came from computer batteries from Switzerland because they landed in cow pies. Dang, I am off topic AGAIN! :D

And speaking of the H1N1 flu, do you think that the Duke players will be forced to wear protective masks when they play at College Park to keep from catching whatever is affecting those people over there?

I mean, can you imagine if they became contagious and all of a sudden John Scheyer started acting like Greivis Vasquez? Well, at least John would honestly be able to say that Cameron is his home since his mother and father practically live there (I guess if your son has a full athletic scholarship you don't really need a full-time job to send him to Duke).

I know Cameron can't possibly be Greivis's home because it actually has running water.

GrayHare
04-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Australian national women's basketball team (http://www.basketball.net.au/typo3temp/pics/9f7b8aa950.jpg)

jipops
04-30-2009, 12:21 PM
my *rickin' * key isn't working.

weezie
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Australian national women's basketball team (http://www.basketball.net.au/typo3temp/pics/9f7b8aa950.jpg)

Good, but shorter for the men. More leotard-ish.

Say, what should I cook for dinner? Seriously...I'm tapped out of ideas today.

DukieInKansas
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

Suggestions depend - am I invited? If so, I've been craving meatloaf.

wilson
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
If so, I've been craving meatloaf.

Ahh, that easiest of ways to ruin a hamburger. Gross.

Notthatguy
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM

StoveTop.

Bostondevil
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM

Wow! That could seriously encourage me to switch teams!

Which reminds me, I find myself feeling for A-Rod lately. Is there something wrong with me? The baseball one, not the tennis one.

What is the definition of the word topic anyway?

2535Miles
04-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Wow! That could seriously encourage me to switch teams!

Which reminds me, I find myself feeling for A-Rod lately. Is there something wrong with me? The baseball one, not the tennis one.

What is the definition of the word topic anyway?
Wait. What team do you play for now?

BD80
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Wow! That could seriously encourage me to switch teams! ...

Switch hitters do get the most at bats!

Or as Woody once said, it will double your chances for a date on Saturday night!

On the same topic (Because would would NEVER want to lose track of the thread topic!) Kelly McGinnis announced she has switched teams. She was the only arguably heterosexual component of "Top Gun."

OZZIE4DUKE
04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Kelly McGinnis of "Top Gun."
Now, imagine her sitting on the porch...

ndkjr70
04-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Well, did you know that Ælfheah became a monk early in life. He first entered the monastery of Deerhurst, but then moved to Bath, where he became an anchorite. He was noted for his piety and austerity, and rose to become abbot of Bath Abbey.[5] Probably due to the influence of Dunstan, the Archbishop of Canterbury (959–988), Ælfheah was elected Bishop of Winchester in 984,[6][7] and was consecrated on 19 October that year.[8] While bishop he was largely responsible for the construction of a large organ in the cathedral, audible from over a mile away and said to require more than 24 men to operate it. He also built and enlarged the city's churches,[9] and promoted the cult of St Swithun and Swithun's predecessor, Æthelwold of Winchester.[8]

Following a Viking raid in 994, a peace treaty was agreed with one of the raiders, Olaf Tryggvason. Besides receiving danegeld, Olaf converted to Christianity[10] and undertook never to raid or fight the English again.[11] Ælfheah may have played a part in the treaty negotiations, and it is certain that he confirmed Olaf in his new faith.[8]

In 1006 Ælfheah succeeded Aelfric as Archbishop of Canterbury,[12][13] taking St Swithun's head with him as a relic for the new location.[8] He went to Rome in 1007 to receive his pallium—symbol of his ties to the Apostolic See—from Pope John XVIII, but was robbed during his journey.[14] [15]While at Canterbury he promoted the cult of St Dunstan,[8] ordering the writing of the second Life of Dunstan, which Adelard composed between 1006 and 1011.[16] He also introduced new practices into the liturgy, and was instrumental in the Witenagemot's recognition of Wulfsige of Sherborne as a saint in about 1012.[17]

Ælfheah sent Ælfric of Eynsham to Cerne Abbey to take charge of its monastic school.[18] He was present at the council of May 1008 at which Wulfstan II, Archbishop of York, preached his Sermo Lupi ad Anglos (The Sermon of the Wolf to the English), castigating the English for their moral failings and blaming the latter for the tribulations afflicting the country.[19]

In 1011 the Danes again raided England, and from 8–29 September they laid siege to Canterbury. Aided by the treachery of Ælfmaer, whose life Ælfheah had once saved, the raiders succeeded in sacking the city.[20][notes 1] Ælfheah was taken prisoner and held captive for seven months.[21] Godwine (Bishop of Rochester), Leofrun (abbess of St Mildrith's), and the king's reeve, Ælfweard were captured also, but the abbot of St Augustine's Abbey, Ælfmaer, managed to escape.[20] Canterbury Cathedral was plundered and burned by the Danes following Ælfheah's capture.[22]

Rich
04-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, did you know that Ælfheah became a monk early in life. He first entered the monastery of Deerhurst, but then moved to Bath, where he became an anchorite. He was noted for his piety and austerity, and rose to become abbot of Bath Abbey.[5] Probably due to the influence of Dunstan, the Archbishop of Canterbury (959–988), Ælfheah was elected Bishop of Winchester in 984,[6][7] and was consecrated on 19 October that year.[8] While bishop he was largely responsible for the construction of a large organ in the cathedral, audible from over a mile away and said to require more than 24 men to operate it. He also built and enlarged the city's churches,[9] and promoted the cult of St Swithun and Swithun's predecessor, Æthelwold of Winchester.[8]

Heh, heh...iDunk said "large organ." Heh, heh, heh

JBDuke
04-30-2009, 05:38 PM
While this has been an amusing diversion in a relatively quiet time, Duke basketball wise, this is not an appropriate thread for the EK Board.

This thread is CLOSED.

Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)!