PDA

View Full Version : Insert Caption Here

A-Tex Devil
04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
(And before anyone gets too upset about the color of Greg's shirt, apparently that was the color of the barnstorming team?)

FerryFor50
04-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I saw this on Deadspin yesterday. They had a field day with it. Lots of Duke haters on that site.

brianl
04-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I guess these guys get asked to do just about anything. What a good sport.

gep
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
I think it's the lights in the arena... but doesn't Greg look like he's got "devil's horns" on his head? :rolleyes:

DukieInKansas
04-27-2009, 05:39 PM
:eek: I think the baby is crying because she had a lovely pink outfit on and they covered it up with that ugly blue shirt. Greg has matured enough to be okay with a brief time in an ugly blue shirt - he knows his heart is dark blue. :D

BD80
04-27-2009, 05:55 PM
OK, it might just be me, but that SCREAMS for the Lebron James treatment, where Greg throws the baby over his head, she disappears from the screen, and then, seconds later, you see her swishing through the basket!

sagegrouse
04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
He just posed for a picture. Ol' Roy has posed for plenty of pictures with Duke fans.

FWIW the players in this era tend to be friends -- more of a professional connection (with a small 'p'). They are all going to earn their living through basketball -- at least until age 30 -- and college isn't the end of the road. The top players have probably known each other since they were 13-14, and it's been this way for a while. Remember the story of a 15YO Chris Webber bunking with Grant, Calvin and Janet Hill and then not coming home from a party when Grant left. Grant, who had a driver's license, was sent to retrieve him -- seems like an omen for Chris's later NBA career, doesn't it?

The fans today OTOH are bitterly resentful of other teams and their fans.

In my era (class of Mullins), it was different, I believe. The Duke basketball players really didn't like the UNC players, and it wasn't just the bad blood between Artie Heyman and Larry Brown. There was a real rivalry. college victories probably meant more, because no professional basketball player was guaranteed riches (except for Russell, Chamberlain, and the Big O).

The fans, while not exactly blase, were better humored than the ones today. This was partially because football was the main sport, and hoops was a sidelight. Also, there was more fan interaction. I well remember large numbers of Carolina fans at games in the Indoor Stadium (Eddie Cameron was still AD and had not been canonized), although I never saw a game in UNC's Woollen gym (capacity around 5,000). I suspect the various TV and on-line media have encouraged the boorishness of the great unwashed masses of fans.

sagegrouse
'What a ramble! If you reached the signature line, you deserve an award.'

captmojo
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM

I made it.Whew! You gonna pin me? :D

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
They couldn't find any carolina guys to hold the baby, they had already rushed out of the building without signing autographs.

A-Tex Devil
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I thought it was pretty funny myself - and I figure most of the people on this board probably agree. The LeBron idea is hilarious BD80 basket is directly behind him. He's got a pretty good outside shot too :D

Edited to say -- in no way do I endorse baby tossing, not even of a 'heel baby. Not unless there is a padded rim and a pile of fluffy pillows for it to land in. We would certainly baby proof the environment before letting Greg take a shot like that.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
He just posed for a picture. Ol' Roy has posed for plenty of pictures with Duke fans.

FWIW the players in this era tend to be friends -- more of a professional connection (with a small 'p'). They are all going to earn their living through basketball -- at least until age 30 -- and college isn't the end of the road. The top players have probably known each other since they were 13-14, and it's been this way for a while. Remember the story of a 15YO Chris Webber bunking with Grant, Calvin and Janet Hill and then not coming home from a party when Grant left. Grant, who had a driver's license, was sent to retrieve him -- seems like an omen for Chris's later NBA career, doesn't it?

The fans today OTOH are bitterly resentful of other teams and their fans.

In my era (class of Mullins), it was different, I believe. The Duke basketball players really didn't like the UNC players, and it wasn't just the bad blood between Artie Heyman and Larry Brown. There was a real rivalry. college victories probably meant more, because no professional basketball player was guaranteed riches (except for Russell, Chamberlain, and the Big O).

The fans, while not exactly blase, were better humored than the ones today. This was partially because football was the main sport, and hoops was a sidelight. Also, there was more fan interaction. I well remember large numbers of Carolina fans at games in the Indoor Stadium (Eddie Cameron was still AD and had not been canonized), although I never saw a game in UNC's Woollen gym (capacity around 5,000). I suspect the various TV and on-line media have encouraged the boorishness of the great unwashed masses of fans.

sagegrouse

What a great description of the changes in both players and fans over the years! It's as if some sort of attitude reversal took place for both players and fans since the time when you and both were in there in Indoor Stadium. (I'm in the same class as Bob Verga and Bob Reidy.) As for the boorishness you noted, you are right on the money.

A little note about Eddie Cameron and the times back then..... one source of friction between the students and Eddie Cameron.... Eddie wanted the place filled when Duke played home games. Back then we students paid an activities fee which covered admission to ALL athletic events. Undergraduate students occupied the entire downstairs except for where the teams and the Pep Band sat. When the students didn't fill up the bleachers, Eddie authorized admission of non students for something like $1 each. Some students resented the idea of "selling the seats twice."

The picture of Greg is one that little girl will cherish later as she grows up. As for what he's wearing, I think it's a silly issue that would hardly have arisen were it not for the artificial environment of the Internet.

Son of Mojo
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
CAPTION: "Greg Paulus comes to the aid of a child from the abuse the parents put the child through." I always claim having a kid wear that team's garb is abuse. :p

miramar
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
"Poor b*st*rd, he looks EXACTLY like Tyler!"

shoutingncu
04-27-2009, 06:57 PM
They couldn't find any carolina guys to hold the baby, they had already rushed out of the building without signing autographs.

Only after trying to rush out of the building the year before without signing autographs, only to be sent back.

hudlow
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Caption:
Paulus finds abandoned baby at Duke. Note attached says "Please give this child a good education."

madscavenger
04-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Caption: The kid had a mean crossover and man could he finish, but this time Greg managed to foul him first.;)

In a related note, John Calipari, seated behind the goal, was seen sucking a pacifier to demonstrate solidarity and waving as the kid calmly sank both shots after a lengthy timeout.