PDA

View Full Version : Boozer was fouled

SilkyJ
04-24-2009, 05:16 PM
It's disappointing to come into this thread looking for information on Bledsoe, and to find these off-topic and repetitive posts instead.

Boozer was definitely fouled in '02 and I've never totally gotten over that (i'm assuming you're referencing the sweet 16 game vs. IU and jwill's missed FT)

geraldsneighbor
04-24-2009, 05:27 PM
^

Also, Boozer was definitely fouled in '02 and I've never totally gotten over that (i'm assuming you're referencing the sweet 16 game vs. IU and jwill's missed FT)

Yes, Boozer was fouled. I hate how everyones response is, "Well, if Williams makes the free throw it doesn't matter." Well, he didn't and that doesn't excuse the refs taking it out on Carlos. Alright, I'm done.

BoozerWasFouled
04-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Yes, Boozer was fouled. I hate how everyones response is, "Well, if Williams makes the free throw it doesn't matter." Well, he didn't and that doesn't excuse the refs taking it out on Carlos. Alright, I'm done.

I thought the defense on Boozer was clean myself.

johaad
04-24-2009, 06:25 PM

NO! NO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4d2C58VKOI

He was fouled. Now that Duhon(i think) foul about a minute earlier, that was a clean steal.

Duke #33
04-24-2009, 06:37 PM
NO! NO! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4d2C58VKOI

He was fouled. Now that Duhon(i think) foul about a minute earlier, that was a clean steal.

For anyone who has the guts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQzAliZf54M

DukeCO2009
04-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Come on--no need to subject me to that during finals time.

kramerbr
04-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyy?

JasonEvans
04-27-2009, 11:05 AM
The posts from the Bledsoe thread about the Boozer play have now been moved to a new thread.

moonpie23
04-27-2009, 11:20 AM
he WAS fouled......everyone was on the indiana bandwagon then...

Matches
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Not only was Boozer fouled, but he was also not not fouled.

blueprofessor
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM

to the tune that,"Yeah, I tackled the dude's arm." It was one of the most egregious no-calls in a long time.Rumor has it the ref (former Atlanta Brave catcher?) hated K and Duke. Christiansen almost jumped him after the no-call. Dunleavy still may have had a chance at a tip. It still hurts like 1998,1999,and 2004.Bad hurts.:(

Best--Blueprofessor:)

moonpie23
04-27-2009, 11:26 AM
that's not entirely, or even absolutely, not false...

Channing
04-27-2009, 11:32 AM
at the 15 second mark, when IU is inbounding the ball - doesnt the inbounder travel? I thought inbounders have to be stationary in all cases other than after a made basket...

DevilWolf
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Worst day ever. Ever.

elvis14
04-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm still upset about that no-call. I can't believe I just watched that, it makes me mad every time. I had to leave the house when that happened, slammed the back door so hard the blinds flew off in pieces.

He was fouled! Make the call!

Matches
04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Rumor has it the ref (former Atlanta Brave catcher?)

Bruce Benedict - former Braves catcher. He stunk then too.

crimsonandblue
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
at the 15 second mark, when IU is inbounding the ball - doesnt the inbounder travel? I thought inbounders have to be stationary in all cases other than after a made basket...

No. You can move your feet around within, essentially, a box the size of your shoulders.

BoozerWasFouled
04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
It was clean defense on our guy, just a bad, bad game by Duke.

devildeac
04-27-2009, 12:41 PM
to the tune that,"Yeah, I tackled the dude's arm." It was one of the most egregious no-calls in a long time.Rumor has it the ref (former Atlanta Brave catcher?) hated K and Duke. Christiansen almost jumped him after the no-call. Dunleavy still may have had a chance at a tip. It still hurts like 1998,1999,and 2004.Bad hurts.:(

Bruce "Eggs" Benedict-using the word catcher is generous, I believe. He may have been on the AJC's All-Worst Braves Team at that time. Doesn't get too many good grades for that "oversight" either.

devildeac
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
No. You can move your feet around within, essentially, a box the size of your shoulders.

All right, some one with the rules needed here. I thought the rule was on a spot throw-in, you could move forward and back in about 3 feet "deep" area but not side-to-side.

calltheobvious
04-27-2009, 12:46 PM

It wasn't an egregious no-call. It was a tough play for Duke in that no official had a clear look at the play.

As for the rumor you posted, could you lay some foundation, please? Seriously, blueprofessor, you're far too classy to ever post any sort of vicious innuendo like that about a coach or player. Why would you do it to an official?

lmb
04-27-2009, 01:31 PM

I'm relying on my memory, which is a dangerous thing.:D But I thought the gripe on that inbounds wasn't that he travelled, but that he actually stepped over the line before he threw the ball.

hurleyfor3
04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
I blame Boozer. He shoulda dunked it.

sagegrouse
04-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I agree that the foul should have been called against Jeffries, who clearly reached in. But this was after Boozer, by his own testimony, had used his beefy arm to push Jared into the proverbial "popcorn machine." There were extenuating circumstances, including -- as others have noted -- why the heck was that Duke team losing to Indiana in the first place?

The JJ "no-call" in San Antonio has no exculpatory aspects. JJ was hammered to the floor by Okafor and one other player on a drive in the last minute that would have tied the score. The plan was for JJ to get to the foul line. All three refs swallowed their whistles, and the game was lost.

The importance of that non-call, as opposed to the Boozer non-call, was that a win over UConn really meant another National Championship. Duke owned GT, which was already in the finals.

sagegrouse

blueprofessor
04-27-2009, 01:45 PM
It wasn't an egregious no-call. It was a tough play for Duke in that no official had a clear look at the play.

As for the rumor you posted, could you lay some foundation, please? Seriously, blueprofessor, you're far too classy to ever post any sort of vicious innuendo like that about a coach or player. Why would you do it to an official?

Actually, it was a foul and Jeffries admitted such(grabbing Boozer's arm on what would have been the winning shot) in the locker room: Sporting News had a link and here is a Hoosier link:
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sports/hh/md/?sid=137

The ref was Bruce Benedict and I read that he had a grudge with Duke and K---He was clearly a few feet from the arm grabbing.There are links to the post game controversy over the non call on Jeffries.They involve Boozer, Christiansen, and Dunleavy in various states of disbelief and anger.You may wish to google.Also,you may wish to consult Blue Devil Weekly as I believe Bill Brill may have written about the non-call. My comment about Benedict is not an innuendo.

I appreciate the classy comment.:) I will show it to my wife and children.:D
They,of course, may also request corroboration!!!

Best regards---Blue Prof :)

Matches
04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
The importance of that non-call, as opposed to the Boozer non-call, was that a win over UConn really meant another National Championship. Duke owned GT, which was already in the finals.

GT had just beaten us in Cameron a few weeks prior. Granted it was their first win over us since Marbury was there, but still... I don't think the finals would've been a fait accompli.

blueprofessor
04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
I agree that the foul should have been called against Jeffries, who clearly reached in. But this was after Boozer, by his own testimony, had used his beefy arm to push Jared into the proverbial "popcorn machine." There were extenuating circumstances, including -- as others have noted -- why the heck was that Duke team losing to Indiana in the first place?

The JJ "no-call" in San Antonio has no exculpatory aspects. JJ was hammered to the floor by Okafor and one other player on a drive in the last minute that would have tied the score. The plan was for JJ to get to the foul line. All three refs swallowed their whistles, and the game was lost.

sagegrouse

I also read that the UConv player admitted he fouled JJ and expected a whistle.
We did own Tech in 2004. However, if we had beaten IU ( down a point,the foul would have put Boozer ,at 75%, our best foul shooter and 11th in the ACC) on the line with 2 shots If we had won, we would have faced Kent State in the regional final (whom IU beat 81--69) and then in the FF vs. a 2 seed OK (whom IU,a 5 seed, beat), and then in the final game vs. MD (whom we beat 99--78 at Duke and lost to in College Park). We had a good chance to win the NC.
Ah,the heartbreak of 1998,1999,2002,and 2004 (at least 2 NCs,maybe 4).:(
Best--Blue Prof :)

mkirsh
04-27-2009, 02:07 PM
Classic big man mistake - if Boozer hadn't brough the ball down to waist level Jeffries wouldn't have even had the opportunity to foul. If he keeps the ball high it's an uncontested layup (note: this is not a jab a big man coaching, don't want to go there again).

After watching the clip again that foul on Duhon was pretty bad as well, but unclear how much contact J-Will really drew on the 3.

crimsonandblue
04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
All right, some one with the rules needed here. I thought the rule was on a spot throw-in, you could move forward and back in about 3 feet "deep" area but not side-to-side.

See point 9. (http://www.sdhsaa.com/officials/Basketball/Most%20Misunderstood%20Basketball%20Rules.pdf)

devildeac
04-27-2009, 02:42 PM
See point 9. (http://www.sdhsaa.com/officials/Basketball/Most%20Misunderstood%20Basketball%20Rules.pdf)

Linkee not work. But, I'll try at home tonight at a different computer also.

crimsonandblue
04-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Linkee not work. But, I'll try at home tonight at a different computer also.

It works for me, but it's a pdf of commonly misunderstood rules I found doing a quick search on google. Item 9 of the link discusses spot throw ins as follows:

9. A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no ore than three feet.

calltheobvious
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Actually, it was a foul and Jeffries admitted such(grabbing Boozer's arm on what would have been the winning shot) in the locker room: Sporting News had a link and here is a Hoosier link:
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sports/hh/md/?sid=137

The ref was Bruce Benedict and I read that he had a grudge with Duke and K---He was clearly a few feet from the arm grabbing.There are links to the post game controversy over the non call on Jeffries.They involve Boozer, Christiansen, and Dunleavy in various states of disbelief and anger.You may wish to google.Also,you may wish to consult Blue Devil Weekly as I believe Bill Brill may have written about the non-call. My comment about Benedict is not an innuendo.

I appreciate the classy comment.:) I will show it to my wife and children.:D
They,of course, may also request corroboration!!!

Best regards---Blue Prof :)

I never argued that it wasn't a foul. But an official being near a foul, and an official being guilty of an "egregious no-call," are two entirely different things. To put the finest of points on it, if Benedict had blown the whistle it would have been a guess, because he definitely couldn't see the foul as he was looking through Jeffries's back.

Now the foul on Duhon that someone mentioned upthread...that one stings me far, far more than the Boozer play or the Redick play.

I'll use the tubes to see what I can find on the grudge you mention.

Cicero
04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
From the 2009 NCAA rules:

Rule 4, Section 12. Boundary Lines

Boundary lines of the playing court shall consist of end lines and sidelines.
The inside edges of these lines define the inbounds and out-of-bounds
areas.

. . .

Rule 4, Section 18. Designated Spot

Art. 1. The designated throw-in spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth
limitation.

Art. 2. The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented
disposal of the ball out of bounds.

Art. 3. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot
until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not
in effect for a throw-in.

--Based on these rules, I don't see anything wrong with the inbounds play in question. Watching that clip is painful, though...I remember exactly where I was when we lost (Brownstone Commons in House CC).

HK Dukie
04-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Before the JJ '04 & Boozer '02 non-calls there was the Langdon '99 no-call.

This is precisely why all those haters really have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to foul disparity.

What was the record that year 37-2? Personally IMHO, our most dominating team.

devildeac
04-27-2009, 03:20 PM
It works for me, but it's a pdf of commonly misunderstood rules I found doing a quick search on google. Item 9 of the link discusses spot throw ins as follows:

9. A player inbounding the ball may step on, but not over the line. During a designated spot throwin, the player inbounding the ball must keep one foot on or over the three-foot wide designated spot. An inbounding player is allowed to jump or move one or both feet. A player inbounding the ball may move backward as far as the five-second time limit or space allows. If player moves outside the three-foot wide designated spot it is a violation, not travelling. In gymnasiums with limited space outside the sidelines and endlines, a defensive player may be asked to step back no ore than three feet.

Thanks. I think my laptop simply wouldn't/couldn't load the whole file. I knew there were some rule/s limiting the amount/distance a player could move during a spot throw-in and that clarifies it, along with cicero's post.

sagegrouse
04-27-2009, 03:29 PM
GT had just beaten us in Cameron a few weeks prior. Granted it was their first win over us since Marbury was there, but still... I don't think the finals would've been a fait accompli.

I had forgotten that loss, but remembered that we beat them easily in the ACC semis (85-71). GT did not show up to play aginst UConn in the first half, and by then, the game was over.

sagegrouse

DevilWolf
04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Ah,the heartbreak of 1998,1999,2002,and 2004 (at least 2 NCs,maybe 4).:(

How could you not include 1994 in there? That POS eyes-closed, scrape the bottom of the scoreboard three pointer. UGH.

We should be forever celebrating '94, '99, '02 and '04 along side '91, '92 and '01.

obsesseddukefan
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah we have had some reall good teams over the years. I must like pain because I subjected myself to watching those videos on youtube...I think I will drink myself to death tonight.....well maybe not, I think we will win in 2010-2011!!!! :D

blueprofessor
04-27-2009, 04:49 PM
How could you not include 1994 in there? That POS eyes-closed, scrape the bottom of the scoreboard three pointer. UGH.

We should be forever celebrating '94, '99, '02 and '04 along side '91, '92 and '01.

Hey, I'm trying not to OD on Tylenol. A little poison at a time.:D
And you are absolutely right that 1994 perfects the flush of Duke heartbreak!

Best--Blueprofessor :)

hurleyfor3
04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
People! If Thurman's shot doesn't go in the score would still have only been tied with nearly a full minute left.

Also, we of all fanbases are in no position to ascribe to luck other people's late-game heroic shots.

Trajan traveled in 1999 and then dribbled right into Ricky Moore the second time down. No two ways about it.

Mal
04-27-2009, 07:15 PM
From the 2009 NCAA rules:

Rule 4, Section 18. Designated Spot

Art. 1. The designated throw-in spot shall be 3-feet wide with no depth
limitation.

Art. 2. The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented
disposal of the ball out of bounds.

Art. 3. The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot
until the ball is released. Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not
in effect for a throw-in.

--Based on these rules, I don't see anything wrong with the inbounds play in question. Watching that clip is painful, though...I remember exactly where I was when we lost (Brownstone Commons in House CC).

I recall going absolutely ballistic when this play happened in real time, but it was because I thought no lateral movement was allowed at all on a sideline inbound. And I played ten years of organized school hoops, so I guess I should have known better.

Nonetheless, I managed to stomach going back to watch the video of the game. Looking beyond the internal grammatical conflict between Arts. 1 and 2 of the rule in question (how can a spot be simultaneously 3-feet wide, and yet a specific point?), presumably the location where the inbounding player is handed the ball is considered the center of a three-foot wide area called the "designated spot." So draw a mental line a foot and a half from that center point in either direction, and one foot has to stay inside those lines at all times. Now watch the inbound pass. The IU player gets the ball basically centered over the peak of the "A" in "Arena" on the floor in front of him. He initially moves to his left, but it's pretty clear his right foot doesn't stray more than 18 inches from the peak of the "A." On the way back, however, especially as he hesitates just a touch before releasing the pass, it certainly looks to me like his left foot leaves the 3-foot "designated spot" box.

That said, it's pretty much impossible to tell and I can't really, after 7 years, get justifiably worked up over the non-call. But it's certainly arguable that was still a violation, even of the more lenient rule than I ever imagined existed.

Incidentally, they should institute this rule in soccer (or enforce whatever rule is in place). Is it just me, or is it really irritating the way those guys move like 10 yards up the field before they throw-in?

Newton_14
04-27-2009, 09:00 PM
I was fouled! Mugged even. Dude grabbed my arm right as I am going up for the game winning basket. I still have the scars on my arms!

Seriously, the Duhon pick could not have been cleaner. Duke had an easy fast break the other way.

But like others noted, it should have never come to that. They should have run that Indiana team out of the gym.

One of those losses that will sting forever.

The1Bluedevil
04-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I may be wrong here , but weren't J-Will and Mike first team All Americans that year and Carlos a third team All American?

Duke #33
04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I may be wrong here , but weren't J-Will and Mike first team All Americans that year and Carlos a third team All American?

Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NCAA_Men's_Basketball_All-Americans) is a list of 2002 NCAA Men's Basketball All-Americans.

blueprofessor
04-27-2009, 10:54 PM

Boozer: 2nd team Basketball Times AA; 3rd team AP and NABC

Duhon: All-ACC defensive team

Dunleavy: 1st team AA NABC and Basketball Times; 2nd team Wooden,AP,The Sporting News,USBWA

Jones: All-ACC defensive team(coaches)

Williams: Consensus AA, Wooden,Naismith,AP,and many others POY

Best--Blue Prof

Lulu
04-28-2009, 06:41 AM
What's going on here??? Am the only one who noticed that the user who seems to be the antagonist here, proclaiming the cleanliness of the defense, has the user name "BOOZERWASFOULED"? Hilarious if you ask me, unless this person has somehow changed their user name since first posting...

sagegrouse
04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Boozer: 2nd team Basketball Times AA; 3rd team AP and NABC

Duhon: All-ACC defensive team

Dunleavy: 1st team AA NABC and Basketball Times; 2nd team Wooden,AP,The Sporting News,USBWA

Jones: All-ACC defensive team(coaches)

Williams: Consensus AA, Wooden,Naismith,AP,and many others POY

Best--Blue Prof

IIRC in 2002 the CBS Sports team came up with its All-American team and had JWill, Boozer, AND Dunleavy on the first team. Can't swear that the team was only five players, but I am sure it wasn't ten.

So, why were we losing to Indiana by four points with five seconds to play?

sagegrouse

The1Bluedevil
04-28-2009, 09:20 AM
IIRC in 2002 the CBS Sports team came up with its All-American team and had JWill, Boozer, AND Dunleavy on the first team. Can't swear that the team was only five players, but I am sure it wasn't ten.

sagegrouse

Even worse, Duke's starting 5 at one point in their NBA career has been a starter

Indiana had one player drafted.

ArnieMc
04-28-2009, 10:00 AM

sagegrouseFWIW, JWill was doing a game wrap up earlier this year, and they were talking about possible chemistry problems at unc. JWill said that the 2002 team had chemistry problems: too many Go To guys. That's the only time I've heard that mentioned.

KandG
04-28-2009, 02:45 PM
FWIW, JWill was doing a game wrap up earlier this year, and they were talking about possible chemistry problems at unc. JWill said that the 2002 team had chemistry problems: too many Go To guys. That's the only time I've heard that mentioned.

You know, the Indiana loss, bad as it was, doesn't bother me the way some of the other heartbreaking losses in our history have, for precisely the above reason.

That 2002 team just didn't seem to have that aura -- it was surprisingly fragile for such a talented team. Still an excellent team, but I figured we would get to the Final Four and flame out there. In fact, I remember reading an article during that Final Four where some fans and writers from other schools were hoping Duke would be there, because they knew the team was ripe to be taken.

2004 and 1999 felt more like missed opportunities to me. That 2002 team, from the time it lost inexplicably at Florida State, just didn't seem right. Kind of like the 1993 team that Barry Jacobs wrote about...significant chemistry issues.

blueprofessor
04-28-2009, 03:10 PM
You know, the Indiana loss, bad as it was, doesn't bother me the way some of the other heartbreaking losses in our history have, for precisely the above reason.

That 2002 team just didn't seem to have that aura -- it was surprisingly fragile for such a talented team. Still an excellent team, but I figured we would get to the Final Four and flame out there. In fact, I remember reading an article during that Final Four where some fans and writers from other schools were hoping Duke would be there, because they knew the team was ripe to be taken.

2004 and 1999 felt more like missed opportunities to me. That 2002 team, from the time it lost inexplicably at Florida State, just didn't seem right. Kind of like the 1993 team that Barry Jacobs wrote about...significant chemistry issues.
In 2002:
31-4. Beat MD at home 99--78, with a greased path (Kent State and OK) to the FF with head case Gary Williams ( whom we had beaten 11 of the last 14, including the prior year's FF semi and the 98--96 OT at Cole) waiting in the championship game.
We lost at FSU on 1-6-02(always a trap game for us-- lost 77--76 after going on a 16--3 run to tie the game at 61), killed them 80--49 in the rematch, and won 19 of 21 until IU.
I liked our chances at a NC as there was no UCon or UNC or KY there .
I would love to have another team and opportunity like that. Not fragile at all, as they showed in comebacks that year.

KandG
04-28-2009, 03:43 PM
In 2002:
31-4. Beat MD at home 99--78, with a greased path (Kent State and OK) to the FF with head case Gary Williams ( whom we had beaten 11 of the last 14, including the prior year's FF semi and the 98--96 OT at Cole) waiting in the championship game.
We lost at FSU on 1-6-02(always a trap game for us-- lost 77--76 after going on a 16--3 run to tie the game at 61), killed them 80--49 in the rematch, and won 19 of 21 until IU.
I liked our chances at a NC as there was no UCon or UNC or KY there .
I would love to have another team and opportunity like that. Not fragile at all, as they showed in comebacks that year.

I'll take opportunities like that every time too, and I have to emphasize that my impression is subjective. But nevertheless-- FSU may have been a "trap" game, but that was a bad FSU team. And in the 80-49 rematch you talked about (when FSU was still an under .500 team), the defending champions didn't score a field goal for nearly 8 minutes and had 13 turnovers in the first half.

The 99-78 game against Maryland was deceptive -- that was a close game until MD faded (I remember MD fans stating they didn't actually feel that bad after the game). Wonderful performance by JWill, which I savored because it came against Blake. But to me, the later MD win was more definitive -- you probably disagree, but I thought MD was a better team that year.

The team was very good at blowing out inferior opponents, and I'd love to have a team with that kind of talent now. Again, purely a subjective impression on my part, but I didn't have a strong sense of confidence in their ability to manage the pressure of being a defending champion with Battier gone -- Shane's leadership was really missed.

I just don't spend a lot of time thinking about that team, nor do I harbor a lot of especially strong positive memories...but that's the luxury of rooting for a team with over 20 years of success. YMMV, of course.

blueprofessor
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I'll take opportunities like that every time too, and I have to emphasize that my impression is subjective. But nevertheless-- FSU may have been a "trap" game, but that was a bad FSU team. And in the 80-49 rematch you talked about (when FSU was still an under .500 team), the defending champions didn't score a field goal for nearly 8 minutes and had 13 turnovers in the first half.

The 99-78 game against Maryland was deceptive -- that was a close game until MD faded (I remember MD fans stating they didn't actually feel that bad after the game). Wonderful performance by JWill, which I savored because it came against Blake. But to me, the later MD win was more definitive -- you probably disagree, but I thought MD was a better team that year.

The team was very good at blowing out inferior opponents, and I'd love to have a team with that kind of talent now. Again, purely a subjective impression on my part, but I didn't have a strong sense of confidence in their ability to manage the pressure of being a defending champion with Battier gone -- Shane's leadership was really missed.

I just don't spend a lot of time thinking about that team, nor do I harbor a lot of especially strong positive memories...but that's the luxury of rooting for a team with over 20 years of success. YMMV, of course.

I appreciate your comments. May I add some thoughts to your interesting summary?

1.In the Duke rout of MD, MD was held to 29 points in the 2nd half , as Duke's defense (Jones on Dixon---2 of 9 overall) did a fine job and the offense scored 51 points. Duke merely played great on both sides.MD was fading maybe, but under a defensive/offensive juggernaut!

2. The second MD game saw Duke shooting 27 of 75 ,or 36%, an incredibly cold performance. Even then, Duke cut a large MD lead to 11 with 2 mins to go. Duke had regained some of its typical shooting form and outscored MD 28--18 over the last 9 minutes.
This game broke a 4 game win streak for Duke at Cole, another reason why Duke was in MD's (and always in Gary's) head---and the losses in OT (at Cole) and the prior year's FF (both after big Terp leads) would have put immense pressure on MD in a 2002 FF championship match. I think MD would have reverted to their losing (with nearly the same talent) to us on neutral courts in recent big games (ACC champ. and FF of 2001). We had 2 all-ACC defensive players (Duhon and Jones) and 3 AAs.That is fine balance.

We played great defense and could score like crazy. In the NC game vs. MD , our confidence would have been sky high and I think we would have played hard from start to finish and handled them.Our offense was better than 2001 and our defense was as efficient as 2001( opp. fg% at .421 in 2002 vs. .416 in 2001) and 4 of our NC stars were older and better. Boozer was healed.

As far as having too many go-to guys, remember Shane took 533 shots in 2001----allowing more shots in 2002 for others as Shane was replaced by Jones who did not need the ball to contribute as well as he did.I wish every Duke team had the same incredibly high quality of 3 AA go-to-guys---with Dunleavy rivaled by few as the biggest ACC matchup problem in 15 years.

3. FSU usually plays us tough in Tallahassee, regardless of records, and the fact that we won the rematch 80-49 after an ugly first half (both teams actually had 14 TOs in the 1st half) showcased our great 2nd half in which we scored 53 to FSU's 26. It is the total game that delivers a conclusion.I loved the conclusion!

4. In the FF, it would have been a fragile MD (head case) vs. a great shooting and defending Duke. Any meaningful lead by Duke would have had the Terps near a KO.:D And after 5 seed IU we had Kent State and OK to get to Sweaty's boys.

Over/under on the number of __-bombs Juan Dixon would have yelled at Gary in the NC game vs. Duke: 4.

Kewlswim
04-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi,

For crying out loud, it's sooooooo painful to think about. Boozer was not only fouled, but that whole game. ugh I know someone who was at Indiana at the time as a student, she remembers it as one of the fondest moments of her Indiana career. People went nuts when they won. I don't drink and reading all this again is making me want to. First the Sharks flame out and more posts about how we go down when we shouldn't have. ugh

GO DUKE!

bill brill
04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I covered that game. the play happened right in front of me. duke had a total second-half collapse and deserved to lose, but not on that play. jared jeffries admitted in the post-game interview room that he fouled boozer intentionally to keep him from dunking. matt christiansen did chase bruce benedict when he left the court and was ncaa reprimanded. what was really sick is that had duke won, it would have played kent state in the regional final. I think they would have won the whole thing. there was no way maryland was going to beat duke after losing that 22-point lead in the previous final four.

HDB
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I remember the game vividly. I traveled to Rupp from Cincinnati with 3 IU fans for the game. The entire arena (IU fans and any KY fan lucky enough to get a ticket) was pulling for the upset all game long. Duke was awful. I seem to recall it being one of JWill's worst games at Duke --- and not just because of the missed foul shot. He was terribly sloppy with the ball all night long. Ugh.

The worst part of the evening was having to climb back in the car for the 90 minute ride back to Cincy with 3 exstatic IU fans who called all of their other IU friends on the ride home to share in the excitement. Awful memory. Just awful.

Cameron
04-28-2009, 09:37 PM
First off, are you the actual Bill Brill? If so, shouldn't you be capitalizing? :)

Secondly, we had a 19-point lead in the second half, if I remember correctly. Nineteen. I remember walking away from the game for a brief while (at the time, I was at the boy's state basketball tournament in Ohio) and coming back only to see Indiana within five or six. At that point, you could just tell we were in trouble. Rupp was not in our favor that night.

I've told this story here before (Duke and Destruction), so I won't go into details, but I was escorted out of the Schottenstein Center that night. A younger Cameron, too upset to deal with the sea of Hoosier fans that had blasted me -- apparently the only Duke fan in Ohio -- all night in the arena's sports bar, busted a chair against the wall. Immature, yes. Unreasonable, no.

I was more sad (as in literally crying) in '06. In '02, I was just furious. I couldn't believe Jason missed that free-throw (yes, I could believe it) and I couldn't believe Boozer didn't get the call.

This is my Bill Buckner game.

bill brill
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
sorry about the lack of CAPITALS. I rarely get all that upset overf any losses after all these years, but Mike Davis was such an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. that night, it made it sting worse. at halftime, Dick Groat, whose pitt team lost later to kent state, said to me "Magnificent.'' That's how good Duke was in the first half and how bad in the second, when they got killed by offensive rebounding from an IU team that was lousy on the boards all year. definitely a chance at another NC.

blueprofessor
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/04/29/will-the-jazz-trade-carlos-boozer/
MAYBE!
We saw Utah play the Twolves a month ago and Boozer was booed by some in the Salt Lake crowd.
Been going to Jazz games for 14 years and have never heard any Jazz player (besides Malone when he was pressuring for money/trade) booed at home.

Good luck,Carlos!:)
Best--Blueprofessor

KandG
04-29-2009, 06:24 PM
http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/04/29/will-the-jazz-trade-carlos-boozer/
MAYBE!
We saw Utah play the Twolves a month ago and Boozer was booed by some in the Salt Lake crowd.
Been going to Jazz games for 14 years and have never heard any Jazz player (besides Malone when he was pressuring for money/trade) booed at home.

Good luck,Carlos!:)
Best--Blueprofessor

Unfortunately, Carlos has been his own worst enemy when it comes to public relations. I defend him frequently, but he has a lot of haters right now, and he has to take some of the responsibility for the hit his image has taken.

I hope that wherever he ends up, he can stay injury-free and fulfill his potential. He's an excellent player and represents Duke well (basketball-wise) when he's healthy and playing hard.

Edouble
04-29-2009, 06:34 PM
I remember the game vividly. I traveled to Rupp from Cincinnati with 3 IU fans for the game. The entire arena (IU fans and any KY fan lucky enough to get a ticket) was pulling for the upset all game long. Duke was awful. I seem to recall it being one of JWill's worst games at Duke --- and not just because of the missed foul shot. He was terribly sloppy with the ball all night long. Ugh.

The worst part of the evening was having to climb back in the car for the 90 minute ride back to Cincy with 3 exstatic IU fans who called all of their other IU friends on the ride home to share in the excitement. Awful memory. Just awful.

Wow.

What were you thinking?