PDA

View Full Version : Need Help finding cheap hotel in Durham

COYS
04-25-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm heading to Durham for a wedding in late May and was hoping to find an inexpensive hotel in the area for the stay. Does anyone here happen to have a place they'd recommend that is on the inexpensive side of things? Thanks for the help!

Indoor66
04-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm heading to Durham for a wedding in late May and was hoping to find an inexpensive hotel in the area for the stay. Does anyone here happen to have a place they'd recommend that is on the inexpensive side of things? Thanks for the help!

Try the Carolina-Duke Inn (http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=612)on Guess Rd.

COYS
04-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Try the Carolina-Duke Inn (http://www.americasbestvalueinn.com/bestv.cfm?idp=612)on Guess Rd.

Thanks a lot for the recommendation. This is one of those situations where the internet provides far too many results. The help is much appreciated.

DST Fan
04-25-2009, 08:34 PM

I have found that several hotels in Research Triangle Park offer reduced rates on many weekends. You might try the Marriott Courtyard on Route 55 near Southpoint.

missfinch
04-25-2009, 08:54 PM
I've always had good luck with hotels.com

terrih
04-25-2009, 09:22 PM
hotwire.com isn't too bad. You don't get to see the name of the hotel, but you can read about it and see the star rating and general location.

allenmurray
04-26-2009, 09:19 AM
I have found that several hotels in Research Triangle Park offer reduced rates on many weekends. You might try the Marriott Courtyard on Route 55 near Southpoint.

Excellent advice. These places in RTP are nearly empty on weekends, and you can often get a great deal as any room they rent is just extra money for them. I have a friend who is the general manager for a full service hotel in an upscale chain. He advised me one time to NEVER take the first price you are offerred. I have found that after getting a rate quote simply saying, "do you have a better price?" will very often get you the same room for almost 20% less (if the hotel is ot close to capacity). Hotels would rather rent a $100 room for $75 than not rent it at all (though there is a point at which they would rather let it sit empty than rent it). They manage these things very closeley (though often the person who gets the initial phone call does not have the authority do do this). With just an extra 5 minutes on the phone you may find yourself staying at the Sheraton for a Days Inn price.

Highlander
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
We always stay at the Doubletree on Meridian parkway (near the 54/55 and I-40 split). You can usually get a suite for $80-90, which is handy when you're traveling with small kids and don't want to go to bed at 8:30.

You can get it even cheaper on priceline.com if you are willing to forego the hotel points.

Oh, and the Durham Hilton is an overpriced piece of garbage. I hate staying there. For a non-suite, the price is in the $130-150/night range last time I checked.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
You can get it even cheaper on priceline.com if you are willing to forego the hotel points.
Sue71 stayed at the Millennium for $45/night through Priceline last winter for her first Great Adventure! You can't get more convenient to Duke than the Millennium other than the Washy Duke. And the bar is very nice and bar food is good. Haven't eaten in their restaurant.

wilson
04-26-2009, 10:24 PM

Not sure if you've booked already, but I wouldn't recommend the Carolina-Duke. I've stayed there dozens of times over the years, and for a long time, it was an endearingly el cheapo kind of place. I stayed there last weekend for my Duke reunion, though, and now it's just an absolute dump. On top of that, I kid you not, someone died in the room directly below us on Saturday night/Sunday morning, under somewhat suspicious circumstances ("Advanced Life Support" truck, five cop cars at the height of activity).
To repeat, I really wouldn't recommend the place anymore, though for a long time I would have.

Cicero
04-26-2009, 11:42 PM
I second the earlier poster who mentioned Hotwire (http://www.hotwire.com). It's perfect if you want something that's cheap and you're not dead set on one particular place. You can get a general idea of the location before you pay, and you'll end up paying much less than the going rate for wherever you end up. Highly recommended...

sue71, esq
04-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Sue71 stayed at the Millennium for $45/night through Priceline last winter for her first Great Adventure! You can't get more convenient to Duke than the Millennium other than the Washy Duke. And the bar is very nice and bar food is good. Haven't eaten in their restaurant.

Yeah, what Ozzie said. :D

Rich
04-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I went down to Duke for the Miami basketball game in February and stayed at the downtown Marriott Convention Center. I originally booked the room for $99 per night, but kept checking the internet for specials on a weekly basis and was able to get it for $79 per night a few weeks before my trip (buffet breakfast included). It seems like a new hotel and is just a few blocks from East campus. The amenities were excellent and the rooms were clean. I would recommend it for that price. Here is a link: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rducv-durham-marriott-convention-center/

DST Fan
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I went down to Duke for the Miami basketball game in February and stayed at the downtown Marriott Convention Center. I originally booked the room for $99 per night, but kept checking the internet for specials on a weekly basis and was able to get it for $79 per night a few weeks before my trip (buffet breakfast included). It seems like a new hotel and is just a few blocks from East campus. The amenities were excellent and the rooms were clean. I would recommend it for that price. Here is a link: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rducv-durham-marriott-convention-center/

When I occasionally stayed at the Marriott Convention Center 4-5 years ago, the parking was less than ideal. The hotel parking lot was about a half block away in an islotated area and I never felt 100% comfortable about security when walking back to the hotel late at night. However, the immediate area around the hotel may have improved since then or, perhaps, there is a new parking lot.

blazindw
04-27-2009, 03:37 PM
University Inn (by the Hospital). It was $69/night during Reunion Weekend, huge rooms (some with sofa and chairs and such), and, if you're feeling real nostalgic, Safe Rides will take you home from campus!