04-24-2009, 09:54 PM
While the rest of the world obsesses over G-Watch:

Women's ACC Semis (in Blacksburg)
[3] Duke 14 [2] UNC 4 F

Men's ACC Semis (in Chapel Hell)
[2] Duke 16 [3] UVa 5 F

Sunday:

Women's ACC Championship
[3] Duke v. [1] Maryland - 1p - FSN South, CSN Mid-Atlantic, NESN, FS Florida and FCS.

Men's ACC Championship:
[2] Duke v. [4] UNC - 3:30p - FS South, CSN Mid-Atlantic, NESN, SunSports and FCS. (let's get a large crowd there).

wallyman
04-24-2009, 10:04 PM
man, how great would it be if one of them could go all the way this year?
amazing games by both today. astonishing the men destroyed uva.

props to all..... :)

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-24-2009, 10:37 PM
while the rest of the world obsesses over g-watch:

Women's acc semis (in blacksburg)
[3] duke 14 [2] unc 4 f

men's acc semis (in chapel hell)
[2] duke 16 [3] uva 5 f

sunday:

Women's acc championship
[3] duke v. [1] maryland - 1p - fsn south, csn mid-atlantic, nesn, fs florida and fcs.

Men's acc championship:
[2] duke v. [4] unc - 3:30p - fs south, csn mid-atlantic, nesn, sunsports and fcs. (let's get a large crowd there).

woooo hoooo!!!!! Be there!!!!!!

Bless their hearts!!!!! Love, Ima

johaad
04-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Wow. Good to see the men stuck it to uva AGAIN! And you are right, this is a nice break from the other stories.

chrishoke
04-24-2009, 11:06 PM
The women lost to the heels 9-7 just last week, but tonight put a hurting on them and crushed them by 10.

The men beat the undefeated and #1 cavs a couple weeks ago by 5, and the cavs reach #1 again only to be humiliated by the devils again, this time by 11.

WOW!

DukieInKansas
04-24-2009, 11:14 PM
What a great night! Go Devils.

Exiled_Devil
04-24-2009, 11:36 PM
While the rest of the world obsesses over G-Watch:

Women's ACC Semis (in Blacksburg)
[3] Duke 14 [2] UNC 4 F

Men's ACC Semis (in Chapel Hell)
[2] Duke 16 [3] UVa 5 F

Sunday:

Women's ACC Championship
[3] Duke v. [1] Maryland - 1p - FSN South, CSN Mid-Atlantic, NESN, FS Florida and FCS.

Men's ACC Championship:
[2] Duke v. [4] UNC - 3:30p - FS South, CSN Mid-Atlantic, NESN, SunSports and FCS. (let's get a large crowd there).

Dude! The men destroyed UVa! I was a little bummed that the reward for beating them most recently was a rematch.

What was the UNC v. MD score?

burnspbesq
04-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Dude! The men destroyed UVa! I was a little bummed that the reward for beating them most recently was a rematch.

What was the UNC v. MD score?

16-10. If I'm not mistaken, that is the first conference win for Carolina since 2004.

No current Duke player has ever lost to Carolina or Virginia.

Maryland is now firmly on the bubble for the NCAAs. They had better pray that there are no upsets in conference tournaments in the ECAC, CAA, America East, or GWLL.

4decadedukie
04-25-2009, 07:22 AM
Two weeks ago, when our Men's team decisively beat UVa, I was surprised -- and somewhat disappointed -- that the pundits and pollsters did not greatly alter their rankings. As I recall, Duke moved from seventh to sixth and UVa was reduced to second (having been previously unbeaten). My assumption was that our clear UVa victory was presumed to be fluke. That myth was dispelled last night.

Presuming we beat UNC tomorrow -- and that won't be easy, for obvious reasons including it’s Duke and UNC, the game will be played in Chapel Hill, it's for the ACC Championship, and the Heels need this victory to resurrect an otherwise somewhat mediocre season -- I speculate Duke will be a #1 seed when the NCAA pairings are announced on Sunday evening.

godukerocks
04-25-2009, 11:37 AM
We're really starting to peak at the right time, and I am ecstatic at the margin of victory.

Will there be anywhere to watch online?...seeing as even with digital cable, our service provider won't be carrying the men's game.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-25-2009, 08:50 PM
We're even taking the old professor with us!:D
Love, Ima

Native
04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Two weeks ago, when our Men's team decisively beat UVa, I was surprised -- and somewhat disappointed -- that the pundits and pollsters did not greatly alter their rankings. As I recall, Duke moved from seventh to sixth and UVa was reduced to second (having been previously unbeaten). My assumption was that our clear UVa victory was presumed to be fluke. That myth was dispelled last night.

Presuming we beat UNC tomorrow -- and that won't be easy, for obvious reasons including it’s Duke and UNC, the game will be played in Chapel Hill, it's for the ACC Championship, and the Heels need this victory to resurrect an otherwise somewhat mediocre season -- I speculate Duke will be a #1 seed when the NCAA pairings are announced on Sunday evening.

I highly doubt that. The NCAA lacrosse championship is different from the basketball championship; there is only one field of 16. There is only one set of 8 seeded teams. The rest of the field is unseeded. However, Duke has never cracked the top 5 this season. A team such as Princeton or Syracuse (who have been in contention for #1 overall all season) may receive the top seed. Our early season loss to Harvard may come back to bite us in the rear end.

UPDATE: In an unrelated, but equally great story, former Duke lacrosse player and current Brown University lacrosse player Reade Seligmann (one of the formerly accused players) scored a goal to tie the game today in the #13 Bears' 11-9 upset of # 2 Cornell.

4decadedukie
04-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I highly doubt that.

You're obviously right regarding the eight seeded teams in the NCAA's overall sixteen team field. However, there are two essentially #1 seeded teams, this year one for the "Naval Academy eight" and the other for the "Hofstra eight." When we beat UNC this afternoon -- followed by a victory against Saint John's in the "keep warm" game -- we should receive one of those top seeds.

This is not only my hope, it is also Inside Lacrosse's opinion. Specifically, Inside Lacrosse has a great "what if" calculator that projects seedings based on past performance plus any future win/loss records selected. It concurs that -- should Duke be undefeated against UNC and SJU -- our Blue Devils will be top-seeded in one of the two regionals. Further, Inside Lacrosse's calculator appears to base this outcome on our recent UVa victories, our aggregate strength of schedule, our "quality wins" both ACC and other conferences, and especially our performance during the season's last weeks.

Native
04-26-2009, 11:55 AM
You're obviously right regarding the eight seeded teams in the NCAA's overall sixteen team field. However, there are two essentially #1 seeded teams, this year one for the "Naval Academy eight" and the other for the "Hofstra eight." When we beat UNC this afternoon -- followed by a victory against Saint John's in the "keep warm" game -- we should receive one of those top seeds.

This is not only my hope, it is also Inside Lacrosse's opinion. Specifically, Inside Lacrosse has a great "what if" calculator that projects seedings based on past performance plus any future win/loss records selected. It concurs that -- should Duke be undefeated against UNC and SJU -- our Blue Devils will be top-seeded in one of the two regionals. Further, Inside Lacrosse's calculator appears to base this outcome on our recent UVa victories, our aggregate strength of schedule, our "quality wins" both ACC and other conferences, and especially our performance during the season's last weeks.

Ah, I misconstrued your opinion. I thought you think we would get the #1 overall seed. I do believe that we will receive one of the #1 seeds if we win today; however, Princeton and Syracuse are also great contenders for those two spots. It will be interesting to see how the seedings are done this year, especially with so many teams that have been in the top five that have won/lost against each other (Princeton, UVA, Syracuse, Cornell, Maryland, Duke, Hopkins, UNC, etc.) and some outstanding teams who have been getting less recognition all year (Notre Dame, Brown, Hofstra, etc.)

burnspbesq
04-26-2009, 01:47 PM
Ah, I misconstrued your opinion. I thought you think we would get the #1 overall seed. I do believe that we will receive one of the #1 seeds if we win today; however, Princeton and Syracuse are also great contenders for those two spots. It will be interesting to see how the seedings are done this year, especially with so many teams that have been in the top five that have won/lost against each other (Princeton, UVA, Syracuse, Cornell, Maryland, Duke, Hopkins, UNC, etc.) and some outstanding teams who have been getting less recognition all year (Notre Dame, Brown, Hofstra, etc.)

Notre Dame's current RPI ranking of 5 (one ahead of Duke) is a complete mystery. The Irish are 35th in SOS.

If Duke wins its next two, I think its tournament seeding will be better than its current RPI of 6. One hopes that the selection committee would weight recent results more heavily than the two bad losses to Harvard and Maryland.

If the tournament seeding were to match the current RPI, Duke would face UMass in the first round at home, and if they win they would face either Syracuse or UMBC in the quarters.

http://www.laxpower.com/update09/binmen/rpi01.php

chrishoke
04-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Duke women fell behind 4-0 but scored 5 straight to lead Maryland 5-4 at half of the championship game.

chrishoke
04-26-2009, 02:26 PM
The terps are undefeated and #1 in the country.

Duke now leads 8-5 after scoring 8 in a row.

chrishoke
04-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Women lose 12-11.

ricks68
04-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Close only counts in washer pitchin' here in Texas. I just hate those terps.:(
Kudos to the Women for a great effort, however. Sure hope the guys do better. Keep us posted.

ricks

chrishoke
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Men tied at half 8-8.

blueprofessor
04-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Petracca doing good job of keeping Duke from running away.
Shots--Duke 29---UNC 27

Best--Blueprof :)

blueprofessor
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
CJ Costabile ,defense, a freshman, scores 3rd goal---he scored only 4 all season!

Best--Blue Prof :)

blueprofessor
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Earlier UNC's Bitter scored short-handed goal after Duke had 1 man up for 2 minutes.

SmartDevil
04-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Men lead 15-11 with a little over 6 1/2 minutes left.

This game has featured some of the worst announcing of any televised sports event I've ever seen.

And the announcers' biased excitement at anything Carolina does is obvious.

blueprofessor
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
14--10
Rotanz, 195 pound middie freshman, spins into point blank shot.

Both squads playing hard but Duke more poised and is taking over the game after a bad start.

Best---Blue Prof :)

ricks68
04-26-2009, 05:37 PM
Yes, but the crowd is behind Duke. Go Devils!:D

ricks

SmartDevil
04-26-2009, 05:41 PM
15-13 Duke 1:40 left

Indoor66
04-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Duke wins

RainingThrees
04-26-2009, 05:46 PM
This bad day just turned good.

chrishoke
04-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Congrats to the team! ACC Champs! In the heels backyard. Three in a row for the Devils.

blueprofessor
04-26-2009, 05:50 PM
And the announcer with the Maryland accent (Willie Scroggs) was still talking(hoping ) game was not over when there was a foul after game over.
One of 10 most biased(UNC) announcing crews ever!
Their headline---UNC ties Duke 13--15

Now talking about heroic UNC.Guys, this is [crap]

No wonder Scroggs was so biased:
William Scroggs was one of the game's most successful coaches. After playing for three national championship teams at Johns Hopkins, Scroggs began his coaching career with the Blue Jays. He was an assistant for two more title teams at Hopkins and in 1979, became the head coach at North Carolina. Scroggs compiled a record of 120-37 in his 12 seasons, winning NCAA titles in 1981, 1982 and 1986.

4decadedukie
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
GREAT VICTORY!! I could only follow the game on "Game Tracker," which is very frustrating due to delayed information (broadcast at 7:00 this evening in the DC area on ComCast Sports Net). A wonderful win that should ensure a top seed in the impending NCAA Tournament.

Jarhead
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Here's a link to the story (http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-lacros/recaps/042609aaa.html).

JStuart
04-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Both games against UNC help our Carlyle Cup ambitions, although I don't think we can pull it off this year.