PDA

View Full Version : The Weathervane picture on the front page

duke'61
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
The weathervane pictured on April 22 is a privately commissioned one as gift from my wife and children. As University Archivist for thirty years I often wished for one. My daughter knew I liked the classic rendition of a blue devil used in the 1958 Chanticleer and in other ways on campus around that time. As a woodworking artist in Seattle, she worked on a composite design and found a colleague in glass and iron who agreed to attempt a weathervane. The result is more yard art than a working vane but that is no problem. The problem was getting it shipped from Seattle to western NC where I have retired! It turned out to be far more complicated than even the artist envisioned and the cost has been kept from me.

I helped Bob Chapman, the developer, with the design of the weathervane in Trinity Heights and shortly thereafter Tallman Trask had one made for the new dorm on East. Each of those are less detailed since they are viewed from a distance. After I retired the library had one made and adopted a similar design for its logo. I imagine Trask had something to do with that and that the design came from a folder in the University Archives on "blue devils through the years" but that is speculation. I am pleased that the more classic design is getting replay once again.

William E. King

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-24-2009, 12:04 AM
The weathervane pictured on April 22 is a privately commissioned one as gift from my wife and children. As University Archivist for thirty years I often wished for one. My daughter knew I liked the classic rendition of a blue devil used in the 1958 Chanticleer and in other ways on campus around that time. As a woodworking artist in Seattle, she worked on a composite design and found a colleague in glass and iron who agreed to attempt a weathervane. The result is more yard art than a working vane but that is no problem. The problem was getting it shipped from Seattle to western NC where I have retired! It turned out to be far more complicated than even the artist envisioned and the cost has been kept from me.

I helped Bob Chapman, the developer, with the design of the weathervane in Trinity Heights and shortly thereafter Tallman Trask had one made for the new dorm on East. Each of those are less detailed since they are viewed from a distance. After I retired the library had one made and adopted a similar design for its logo. I imagine Trask had something to do with that and that the design came from a folder in the University Archives on "blue devils through the years" but that is speculation. I am pleased that the more classic design is getting replay once again.

William E. King

So glad to hear from you again, Bill! You were such a good source of information when I had assignments for reunion planning. Thanks for sharing the story behind the weathervane we've been discussing.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Or could anyone find a metalsmith and have one made to those specs?
Love, Ima

fuse
08-05-2012, 01:26 PM
The front page pic of the Blue Devil weathervane is awesome. Anyone know who makes this or where to get one?

Thanks!