PDA

View Full Version : You know my biggest regret over guys leaving early?

Lord Ash
04-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Honestly, it isn't that you lose an excellent basketball player.

I really miss the days when you got to know all the players for four years. I feel like it really takes maybe all four years before you really get to know a player, before you really appreciate them. You look at those Duke favorites, those guys who you respect and adore, and they are almost always those four year guys, because you had such a chance to see them grow up, to go from babyfaced frosh to second year sophs to growing up juniors to seniors.

Anyway... just a thought. I really do think that is maybe my biggest regret when a guy, especially a quality guy, leaves early.

Newton_14
04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
I feel the same way actually. Being a life long College Basketball fan, I have always enjoyed watching guys develop over the 4 year period. And some of them made huge strides even in their Jr and Sr years. And like you state, watching them develop and mature not only as players but as people is fascinating.

Ferry was a guy that got better in some aspect of his game every year. Same with Grant, Hurley, Thomas Hill. Compare Hurley the freshman to Hurley the Sr. Night and Day both as player and person.

Watching Battier was a thing of beauty. Even in his Sr year he took his game to yet another level. Same with Chris Carrawell. Yet, with guys like Avery, Brand, Maggette, McBob, I feel like I read half the book and never got to finish to see how their story ended.

I totally get why the stars leave, but if it were me, unless my family were in dire need of the money, I would embrace the full 4 years. It's not like the NBA is going to suddenly disband and not be there after that Sr year.

So it is another April where I am holding out hope our star, that does not need the money, takes the Battier route and chooses to wear that Duke 15 jersey one more year. Could be special..And I would bet good money, that later in life he would not regret staying...

rthomas
04-23-2009, 10:31 PM
It's not only what I love about Duke, it's my memory of the ACC.

johaad
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
I feel the same way actually. Being a life long College Basketball fan, I have always enjoyed watching guys develop over the 4 year period. And some of them made huge strides even in their Jr and Sr years. And like you state, watching them develop and mature not only as players but as people is fascinating.

Ferry was a guy that got better in some aspect of his game every year. Same with Grant, Hurley, Thomas Hill. Compare Hurley the freshman to Hurley the Sr. Night and Day both as player and person.

Watching Battier was a thing of beauty. Even in his Sr year he took his game to yet another level. Same with Chris Carrawell. Yet, with guys like Avery, Brand, Maggette, McBob, I feel like I read half the book and never got to finish to see how their story ended.

I totally get why the stars leave, but if it were me, unless my family were in dire need of the money, I would embrace the full 4 years. It's not like the NBA is going to suddenly disband and not be there after that Sr year.

So it is another April where I am holding out hope our star, that does not need the money, takes the Battier route and chooses to wear that Duke 15 jersey one more year. Could be special..And I would bet good money, that later in life he would not regret staying...

I agree. And to me, I just think that Gerald is something special. I haven't felt this way about a player in a long time. I know some on here would disagree, but I think he would make significant strides in his senior year. I want to see his jersey in the rafters.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-23-2009, 11:42 PM
I agree. And to me, I just think that Gerald is something special. I haven't felt this way about a player in a long time. I know some on here would disagree, but I think he would make significant strides in his senior year. I want to see his jersey in the rafters.
I had the same thoughts about Mike Dunleavy. He would have been the leading candidate for National Player of the Year and numerous other honors his senior year..... but he decided to leave early.

SupaDave
04-24-2009, 12:42 PM
So you stop following players b/c they no longer wear the Duke jersey? Doesn't make sense.

To be honest I'm more impressed with JJ the man right now as opposed to JJ the college student.