PDA

View Full Version : New, "Fiercer" Logo?

Shammrog
04-23-2009, 11:20 AM
Ran across this on ESPN; a piece inspired by the Detroit Lions' recent change to a "fiercer" logo.

Note Duke among the suggestions/examples. I for one like it! I love Duke, and love the "Blue Devils," but really have never been a fan of our logo. I think it looks dated and kind of hackneyed, as well as weak.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=snibbe/090421&sportCat=nfl

Do you think we should adopt a new, fiercer logo?

(NOTE THAT THE OFFERED EXAMPLE IS MOSTLY TONGUE-IN-CHEEK, so don't necessarily vote on the example logo; but just an updated, more bad*ss one.)

Tommac
04-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Didn't Duke use a fiercer logo back in th sixties similar to the one in the link? I had a sweatshirt back then that had a similar logo on it.

Wander
04-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Washington State has by far the coolest logo of all time.

CBDUKE
04-23-2009, 11:58 AM
The fiercer logo looks like the one I remember from back in the sixties.

Bluedog
04-23-2009, 12:18 PM
The fiercer logo looks like the one I remember from back in the sixties.

This one?

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/31/663/thumbs/tnkhb6083c4mmihfon1z.gif

I've never seen the following logo before, but apparently it exists. It is quite intense:

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/31/663/full/jgoyj6fi8dtvi588jrig4qgi2.gif

Here's Fredonia State's attempt at the Blue Devil mascot:

http://www.campusexplorer.com/media/376x262/SUNY-at-Fredonia-CB74F263.jpg

Yeah, I'm voting "no." Keep it as it is.

wilson
04-23-2009, 12:22 PM
The answer to this question is not just no, but very no. Double, nay triple no. NO NO NO NO NO.
What's next, adding terrible black to our uniforms?

bjornolf
04-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I've never seen the following logo before, but apparently it exists. It is quite intense:

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/31/663/full/jgoyj6fi8dtvi588jrig4qgi2.gif

I have a blanket on my couch that I bought while at Duke with that logo on it. That was about 1995.

miramar
04-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I have always thought the eyes on the current logo look a bit strange, so I wouldn't mind some plastic surgery, but overall I like the logo.

And where did Wilson get this ridiculous idea about adding black to the uniforms? Oh...

RelativeWays
04-23-2009, 01:28 PM
The evil tree for Stanford is hilarious. I love it. The USC trojan looks kinda sinister with only the yellow eyes visible from the helmet.

Edouble
04-23-2009, 01:32 PM
I like our logo the way it is. The "fiercer" logos in the article are mostly jokes anyway.

hurleyfor3
04-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I like that espn logo. It's fierce but timeless... looks like it was designed in the 1960s or 70s. In fact I'm sure it is or was someone's logo at one time, because the espn graphics people don't strike me as a terribly creative bunch.

The current logo (the Blue Devil superimposed on the D) has never really done much for me, although I would like to see an entire font based on the "D". I've seen Iron Dukes decals that do this somewhat, with thick vertical strokes and 45-degree angles at the corners of the letters in "Iron Dukes", and think this kind of lettering would be interesting to try on a uniform.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-23-2009, 01:57 PM
The ESPN Duke logo looks like it should be tying a damsel in distress onto train tracks.

wilson
04-23-2009, 02:25 PM
The ESPN Duke logo looks like it should be tying a damsel in distress onto train tracks.

Right...it looks like Snidely Whiplash decided to be a Blue Devil for Halloween.

RelativeWays
04-23-2009, 02:33 PM
He needs a monacle to really pull that off, maybe a top hat too.

weezie
04-23-2009, 05:09 PM

Yeah but with crossed-eyes he'd probably have a hard time with that.

The Buffalo Bills bad guy logo was pretty funny though.

Lulu
04-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I love our logo, so I'd never change it, but I gotta admit that the eyes have never made sense to my brain. I just can't process what's what between pupil/iris/whites/lids or whatever it's supposed to be so what my brain tends to see it probably something more like a mask than just huge eyes... if huge eyes are even what I'm looking at.

miramar
04-23-2009, 07:09 PM
The evil tree for Stanford is hilarious. I love it. The USC trojan looks kinda sinister with only the yellow eyes visible from the helmet.

The whole tree thing is a bit ridiculous, although I know it's on the university seal. I much prefer the mascot the students picked years back when they decided to do away with the Indians for politically correct reasons. I thought that "the Robber Barons" was just great considering how Mr. Stanford made his fortune, but then the administration stepped in and decided on the Cardinal, as in the color. That would be the equivalent of calling us the Duke Blue.

Don't even get me started on the Trojans...

-jk
04-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't even get me started on the Trojans...

Careful - we're a family board. And don't bring the other USC into this discussion. Please!

Thanks,

-jk

captmojo
04-23-2009, 09:06 PM
What was the movie that had David Bowie as the devil? Imagine that in blue skin....gotta be better than a penguin with a mullet. :D

RelativeWays
04-23-2009, 09:07 PM
When it comes to people of antiquity why do they only pick the Trojans or Spartans? Where are the Romans, the Gauls? I always felt my alma mater UNC Greensboro, should be the Athenians, not the Spartans. After all, Athens is named after the goddess Athena, and she appears on the official school seal. I think once I become ridiculously wealthy and decide to donate large sums of money to the school, instead of tying the usual strings of having a building named after me, I'll stipulate that the school mascot is changed from the Spartans to the Athenians. Is that unreasonable?

weezie
04-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Not unreasonable at all. Unlikely, unless you have robber baron big old JB Duke type money, but not unreasonable.

My dream is to have enough money to establish the "weezie Family Parking Structure" at Duke with a big old plaque outside honoring shameless me for having done something super important and valuable for dear old Duke.

JBDuke
04-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Not unreasonable at all. Unlikely, unless you have robber baron big old JB Duke type money, but not unreasonable.

Bah. In today's world, a few dozen million doesn't go as far as it used to. Plus, I gave most of my money to the Duke Endowment.

Ah, the glory days...

Son of Mojo
04-23-2009, 11:26 PM
What was the movie that had David Bowie as the devil? Imagine that in blue skin....gotta be better than a penguin with a mullet. :D

........I think you're thinking of Legend with Tim Curry as the Darkness.......you know you can borrow the flick sometime (if you'd ever watch them....) :p . Have to say though, with blue skin that would be something. But the banner I have is quite sinister......

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=intq55&s=5

Duke #33
04-23-2009, 11:33 PM
No, I don't see any reason to change the current logo. It's not like Duke had a terrible season and went like 0-28 or something like that. Plus, I don't see how changing a mascot really affects performance.

HK Dukie
04-24-2009, 01:09 AM
(1) I like our logo the way it is, especially because it says our name DUKE.

(2) Why does a logo need to be fierce anyway? Notice it's horrible teams like the lions that feel forced to change.

DukeDude
04-24-2009, 01:36 PM
(2) Why does a logo need to be fierce anyway? Notice it's horrible teams like the lions that feel forced to change.

Yup, it's hard to move merchandise when your team has the worst record in the history of the NFL. Changing the logo is a poor substitute for fielding a competitive team.

DukieInKansas
04-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Yup, it's hard to move merchandise when your team has the worst record in the history of the NFL. Changing the logo is a poor substitute for fielding a competitive team.

And do they really think people are going to say - Hey, we stunk last year but we have a new logo now so I need a new sweatshirt!

wilson
04-24-2009, 02:50 PM
When it comes to people of antiquity why do they only pick the Trojans or Spartans? Where are the Romans, the Gauls? I always felt my alma mater UNC Greensboro, should be the Athenians, not the Spartans. After all, Athens is named after the goddess Athena, and she appears on the official school seal. I think once I become ridiculously wealthy and decide to donate large sums of money to the school, instead of tying the usual strings of having a building named after me, I'll stipulate that the school mascot is changed from the Spartans to the Athenians. Is that unreasonable?

The University of Idaho bucked this trend in dubbing themselves the Vandals. In this context, Vandals are a marauding Norse society, not mere mischief-making damagers of others' property.