PDA

View Full Version : ACC All-Stars vs. Crossfire Ministries games

Bluedog
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I didn't see a thread on this already. The article says Paulus was the only Duke player on the ACC All-Stars team, but I thought McClure was going to play as well...Maybe not. Apparently, Paulus lit it up at halftime during the three-point contest.

Game 1:
ACC All-Stars win 117-114.

Hansbrough, Paulus delight crowd in Asheville (http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20090419/NEWS/904189924?Title=Hansbrough-Paulus-delight-crowd)

Most of the thousands of fans in attendance were wearing Carolina blue with the 2009 NCAA championship logo, but those fans’ loudest cheers were for a Duke player during halftime.

Paulus [...] was on fire from beyond the arc in the 3-point contest. He knocked down all of his 3s in the final rack, including the money ball, to finish with 29 points, setting an ACC-Crossfire record. When he hit his last shot, the crowd exploded as he was swarmed by the players on the court.

Game 2:
Crossfire won 101-100
Crossfire slips by ACC on second day (http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20090420/NEWS/904199961)

Crossfire’s Ritchie Stevens hit a pair of free throws with 6.1 seconds remaining to give the in-name-only home team a 101-100 victory. After a timeout, the ACC All-Stars made the dubious decision to inbound the ball to Hansbrough, their only true post player, and let him bring the ball up.

And in a play that no doubt delighted several Duke fans in attendance, Hansbrough was whistled for a travel in the frontcourt. With 1.6 seconds remaining on the clock, Hansbrough headed to exits. His University of North Carolina teammates Green, Bobby Frasor, Mike Copeland, Patrick Moody, J.B. Tanner and Jack Wooten quickly followed.

Hansbrough called for a travel?!?!?!!? Impossible! Sounds like he wasn't too happy and stormed off the court with time still on the clock.

“I don’t want to comment on why they ran off the court like that,” said Crossfire co-founder Randy Shepherd.

I had thought the ACC "All-Stars" typically dominate the other team, but these were two nail-bitters. Anybody know who is even on the Crossfire team? Must have some solid players. Usually, nobody plays defense in these types of games, though, so that could serve as an equalizer.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-22-2009, 02:16 PM
The Crossfire Ministries web page might answer some questions.

http://www.crossfireministry.com/index.html

DukieBoy
04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
If you watch the video in the first link (the one ACC won), it shows Hansbrough with an inbound alley-oop to McClure, so it looks like Dave did play.

Methodistman
04-22-2009, 05:37 PM
My wife and kids are on their way down to Fayetteville, NC right now for the ACC All-Stars exhibition game. My boys are going to get to be towel boys for the event, and they were told they might get to sit next to Greg - so needless to say they were amazingly pumped! We went out and bought brand new basketballs so they can get some autographs, and I've had SEVERAL conversations with them about them being respectful to the carolina guys. I had to have this conversation because last year we couldn't make the game, and we know a guy who was helping to put it on, so he got DeMarcus Nelson to call and speak to them before the game. When DeMarcus had to get off the phone, our friend called Quinten Thomas over and asked my son if he wanted to speak to him since he had just played in last years final four. My son's response? "He played for UNC? Nah - I don't want to speak to him."

Here's to hoping they behave since I couldn't go with them for the game since I have a meeting tonight.

BD80
04-22-2009, 06:43 PM
... My boys are going to get to be towel boys for the event, and they were told they might get to sit next to Greg - ...

If they are towel boys, wouldn't they be sitting next to Bobby Frasor?

Ba-da-boom.

FerryFor50
04-22-2009, 09:47 PM
My wife and kids are on their way down to Fayetteville, NC right now for the ACC All-Stars exhibition game. My boys are going to get to be towel boys for the event, and they were told they might get to sit next to Greg - so needless to say they were amazingly pumped! We went out and bought brand new basketballs so they can get some autographs, and I've had SEVERAL conversations with them about them being respectful to the carolina guys. I had to have this conversation because last year we couldn't make the game, and we know a guy who was helping to put it on, so he got DeMarcus Nelson to call and speak to them before the game. When DeMarcus had to get off the phone, our friend called Quinten Thomas over and asked my son if he wanted to speak to him since he had just played in last years final four. My son's response? "He played for UNC? Nah - I don't want to speak to him."

Here's to hoping they behave since I couldn't go with them for the game since I have a meeting tonight.

Sounds like your sons have their heads on right. :D

Methodistman
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
Just talked to them after the game. They were disappointed that Dave McClure wasn't there for some reason. They really were excited about meeting Greg, and they said he was cool. I asked about the carolina boys, and they kinda liked Danny Green, but they said that they didn't really talk to Hansbrough all that much - in their words, "He was kinda shy."

From talking to them, the player they enjoyed the most was Antwan Scott, who is a former Wake Forest player who is going to be on the Harlem Globetrotters. I could not remember at all who that dude was, so I googled him and came across a nice dunk he had on us at Cameron years ago.

Anyway, I was just impressed with how they said all the players were so nice to them. It's good to hear that kind of stuff from my 11 and 9 year old boys who look up to these players.

gep
04-22-2009, 11:51 PM
Hansbrough called for a travel?!?!?!!? Impossible! Sounds like he wasn't too happy and stormed off the court with time still on the clock.

haha... did Hans run towards the "correct" exit?:D