PDA

View Full Version : ACC/Big Televen Challenge; it's the Badgers

Jim3k
04-22-2009, 01:59 AM
According to this story from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/43402277.html), Duke will play Wisconsin at the Kohl Center

The Duke Blue Devils will play Wisconsin at the Kohl Center, a source said. Coach Bo Ryan hinted at the matchup during the team's reception Tuesday evening.

The time and date will be announced when the pairings for the entire event are released, perhaps as soon as this week.

The game will be a rematch of the 2007 Challenge in which Duke beat UW, 82-58, in Durham, N.C.

FireOgilvie
04-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Wisconsin loses their leading scorer Marcus Landry and their best rebounder Joe Krabbenhoft. I doubt they get much help from their incoming recruiting class either... ESPN says they have 2 recruits, each ranked 89/100. They are coming off of a fairly mediocre season for their standards: 20 - 13. It might be another rough year for them. They're tough at home, but I think even if Gerald leaves, we should beat them.

wolfpackdevil
04-22-2009, 06:57 AM
do you know where you can find ALL the matchups for the challenge?

Bob Green
04-22-2009, 08:19 AM
do you know where you can find ALL the matchups for the challenge?

From the linked article:

The time and date will be announced when the pairings for the entire event are released, perhaps as soon as this week.

BD80
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Don't they usually seed the challenge based upon last year's conference standings, adjusted here and there for anticipated performance next year or to allow a marquis match-up? Duke tied for 2nd/3rd, had the 2nd best overall record and is loaded for next year. Wisconsin tied for 4th/5th/6th at 10-8 in the Big 10/11 and had the SEVENTH best overall record in the conference. Purdue and Mi State are the only decent teams in the Big 10/11, we should have been matched up with one of them again. I know Izzo wouldn't have complained - he'd play the Pistons home and home if he could (and probably win). They must be matching up Purdue and Wake and a UNC/MI State rematch is irresistible.

gw67
04-22-2009, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't downgrade the Badgers. They have three returning starters including their best player, Hughes, two solid players in Bohannon and Leuer, and their three top reserves, plus they always seem to bring along a couple of big men who have sat on the bench for a couple of years. Their real strength, however, is their coaching. Ryan is clearly one of the best college coaches. He doesn't recruit McD's but he is very good at molding his team and getting the players to buy into his unique offensive style. IMO, they will be a good opponent for the Devils, particularly on the road.

gw67

Abraxas
04-22-2009, 09:40 AM
I attended both, Duke and Wisconsin. I only follow Wisconsin Football and Hockey. The game is going to be "slow"... half-court every possession. We might be lucky to break 70 points (but Wisconsin will be lucky to break 60). I think we will play just a bit faster than they are used to, while keeping the same type of defensive pressure.

Scouting report of Wisconsin (Kenpom):
http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin

In 2008-9 season, only twice they scored more than 80 points, and only 7 out of 33 games, they score over 70 points (one of them OT game). They use on average around 60 possessions per game.

jimsumner
04-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Complete pairings

Monday, Nov. 30

Penn State at Virginia

Tuesday, Dec. 1

Maryland at Indiana

Michigan State at North Carolina

Northwestern at N.C. State

Virginia Tech at Iowa

Wake Forest at Purdue

Wednesday, Dec. 2

Boston College at Michigan

Duke at Wisconsin

Florida State at Ohio State

Illinois at Clemson

Minnesota at Miami

NYDukie
04-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Without getting into the analyis of the teams, because who knows exactly how they may look come November, this is the first time I can the the Big Ten possibly winning it or coming close to doing so. I wouldn't be suprised if both UNC and Wake were to lose and going into Wisconsin will be not cake walk either.

vango
04-22-2009, 01:33 PM
I was somehow thinking you alternated Home/Away every year. Guess I'm mistaken on that (we played at Purdue this past season).

geraldsneighbor
04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Michigan St. loses 2 starters and they have to go on the road to unc. I think that'll be a tough one for Sparty.

NYDukie
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Michigan St. loses 2 starters and they have to go on the road to unc. I think that'll be a tough one for Sparty.

Definitely don't think it would be a automatic for either team, just think given what UNC loses, taht this could be a toss up, more so than in the past.

Over the past few years with the Challenge, maybe through it's history, you almost can always assume UNC and Duke would put two W's in the ACC's column. Does anyone know what UNC's and Duke's W-L record is in the Challenge? Duke hasn't lost if I remember correctly?

crimsonandblue
04-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Penn St. - Virginia. First team to 40 wins?

Yuck.

vango
04-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Definitely don't think it would be a automatic for either team, just think given what UNC loses, taht this could be a toss up, more so than in the past.

Over the past few years with the Challenge, maybe through it's history, you almost can always assume UNC and Duke would put two W's in the ACC's column. Does anyone know what UNC's and Duke's W-L record is in the Challenge? Duke hasn't lost if I remember correctly?

Correct - Duke has been good for an ACC win every year. Quite a run actually.

Indoor66
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
Challenge results: 1999-2008:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC-Big_Ten_Challenge

brsett
04-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I attended both, Duke and Wisconsin. I only follow Wisconsin Football and Hockey. The game is going to be "slow"... half-court every possession. We might be lucky to break 70 points (but Wisconsin will be lucky to break 60). I think we will play just a bit faster than they are used to, while keeping the same type of defensive pressure.

Scouting report of Wisconsin (Kenpom):
http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Wisconsin

In 2008-9 season, only twice they scored more than 80 points, and only 7 out of 33 games, they score over 70 points (one of them OT game). They use on average around 60 possessions per game.

I agree Wisconsin will be slow. But Duke will break 80. I bet the margin of victory is over 10 if Gerald goes, and over 20 if Gerald stays. Slow BigTen(11) teams are mince-meat for decent ACC teams.

brsett
04-22-2009, 02:42 PM

UNC has struggled in the challenge. i think they have a .500 record overall. They have been better since the return of Roy of course . . .

phaedrus
04-22-2009, 05:26 PM
I agree Wisconsin will be slow. But Duke will break 80. I bet the margin of victory is over 10 if Gerald goes, and over 20 if Gerald stays. Slow BigTen(11) teams are mince-meat for decent ACC teams.

Wisconsin did alright against a decent ACC team in the tourney this year.

Olympic Fan
04-22-2009, 07:12 PM
UNC has struggled in the challenge. i think they have a .500 record overall. They have been better since the return of Roy of course . . .

Duke is 10-0 in the challenge, but North Carolina just evened their record at 5-5 with their victory over Mich State in Ford Field this year.

Interesting point for the Heels are that they are 2-0 at neutral sites, 2-2 on the road and just 1-3 at home.

Interesting point is that for all the guff Duke got from critics for not playing true road games (Duke played Iowa and Illinois in Chicago ... they balanced that with two games in Greensboro), Duke has now played less home games (3) in the series than any other team that has participated in at least nine of the 10 challenges.

When you add next year's games, Duke will have played 3 of 11 at home (4 neutral and four road). Since 2004, Duke has played at No. 3 Michigan State, at No. 17 Indiana and at No. 9 Purdue. This year's trip to Wisconsin will mean four road games in six years.

By contrast, UNC will have played 5 of 11 at home; Maryland 5 of 11 at home; NC State 5 of 10 at home; Wake 5 of 9 at home; FSU 5 of 11 ....

I don't like the pairings this year ...the simplest thing would be to have Purdue play at Duke, along with Michigan State at UNC (which I'm sure TV wants because it's a national championship rematch). But Purdue, which will be a Big Ten co-favorite next year, should be playing a road game and Duke, one of the top two teams in the ACC, should be at home.

Instead, Purdue gets a second-straight home game against a team that may or may not be in the ACC preseason top 3 (depending on whether Jeff Teague returns).

Just guessing at the overall Duke schedule (which won't come out until August). We now know the game at Wisconsin, two home games in the preseason NIT, followed by two games in New York (where UConn will be waiting), probably another game in New York or the Meadowlands over Christmas break. We're also due to play at Davidson (which could be tough if Curry comes back) and we should be returning a game at Georgetown. This is the year we're supposed to get Michigan at home. If we continue the series with St. John's, I think that one's in Durham too.

Anybody got any other guesses as to who is on the schedule?

jimsumner
04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
"two home games in the preseason NIT, followed by two games in New York"

Well, maybe. :)

brsett
04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Wisconsin did alright against a decent ACC team in the tourney this year.

FSU isn't Duke (or more accurately, Hamilton isn't K, cause FSU had serious talent). Duke could have named the score 2 yrs ago. And I mean that in every sense of the word. It wasn't nearly as close as the 28 point margin might lead you to think. Duke let Wisconsin score 50, and chose not to put up 100. That Duke team wasn't as good as next year's team. The quality of Wisconsin doesn't really factor in because they play that slow style that negates whether they have any players regardless.

dukeballer2294
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
"two home games in the preseason NIT, followed by two games in New York"

Well, maybe. :)

who r the other hosts of the tournament?

tbyers11
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
who r the other hosts of the tournament?

Andy Katz (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4086305&name=katz_andy) says the other host teams in the preseason NIT are UConn, LSU and Arizona State.

dukemsu
04-22-2009, 09:35 PM

I wish State would have drawn anyone besides UNC, with Duke as the exception.

As long as Lucas does not declare for the draft, I actually like MSU's chances at Carolina early in the season. Ol' Roy will be tinkering with his many new (albeit very talented) parts and State will bring in an experienced team. Of course, those experiences haven't been all that good against the Heels.

Who knows. I know I do not want to wait 7 1/2 months for Duke/Wiscy and MSU/UNC.

With or without G, Wiscy will be a tough test for the Devils at Kohl. But I would expect Duke to be pointing at that game for a long while and handle that tough environment very, very well.

LGD.

dukemsu

brsett
04-23-2009, 12:22 AM
I wish State would have drawn anyone besides UNC, with Duke as the exception.

As long as Lucas does not declare for the draft, I actually like MSU's chances at Carolina early in the season. Ol' Roy will be tinkering with his many new (albeit very talented) parts and State will bring in an experienced team. Of course, those experiences haven't been all that good against the Heels.

Who knows. I know I do not want to wait 7 1/2 months for Duke/Wiscy and MSU/UNC.

With or without G, Wiscy will be a tough test for the Devils at Kohl. But I would expect Duke to be pointing at that game for a long while and handle that tough environment very, very well.

LGD.

dukemsu

Duke kills Wisconsin, guaranteed.

MSU loses by 15 . . . again. You've got to get over your big ten love man. They simply are not for real.

FireOgilvie
04-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Here is the reason why the Big Ten may never actually win the ACC/Big Ten competition:

Incoming recruits ranked 90 and above for 2009 by ESPN:

Big Ten: 13
ACC: 19

Incoming recruits ranked 95 and above for 2009:

Big Ten: 0
ACC: 9

Class of 2008 recruits ranked 90 and above:

Big Ten: 10
ACC: 18

Class of 2008 recruits ranked 95 and above:

Big Ten: 5
ACC: 14

The ACC has 12 schools, the Big Ten has 11, but that doesn't make much of a difference when the ACC has more 95+ players than the Big Ten has 90+ players (2008).

Overview of commitments for different conferences on ESPN. (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/conference?season=2009&confId=2&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fconference%3fseason%3d20 09%26confId%3d2)

dukemsu
04-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Duke kills Wisconsin, guaranteed.

MSU loses by 15 . . . again. You've got to get over your big ten love man. They simply are not for real.

As a Duke fan, I wholeheartedly hope for your first predicted outcome.

As for your second statement, thanks for the advice. That'll be tough seeing as how I have a degree from the place. I'd get into all my disdain for much of the Big 10 but this is a Duke board. It appears per your definition that only UNC was "for real".

dukemsu

ACCBBallFan
04-23-2009, 09:31 AM
This link confirms Jim Sumner's post on matchups and also some SEC/BE matchups where biggest challenge may be who you want to lose UK vs UCONN

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090423/?sub_id=Ca3uAeJwRIwed&folio=47

Nov 30 Penn ST @ UVA

Dec 1 Mich ST @ unc
NW @ NC ST
VA T @ Iowa
WF @ Purdue

Dec 2 BC @ Mich
Duke @ Wisc
FSU @ ohio St
Ill @ Clemson
MN @ Miami

SEC/BE

Dec 9 GA vs St John's