PDA

View Full Version : Pitino being blackmailed by Stiffler's Mom

BD80
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Strange case:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14587083

The estranged wife of Pitino's "personal assistant" of the last 10 years is accused of attepting to extort Pitino. She looks familiar:

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/08/70/28/slideshow_528708_hats5.jpg

Wonder what she was going to "reveal" about Patino and his assistant?

weezie
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Probably looking for a payday with some trumped up story. Isn't Pitino one of the most closely monitored coaches in NCAA? What kind of pressure did this add to their tournament run.
What a darned shame.

Shammrog
04-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Strange case:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14587083

The estranged wife of Pitino's "personal assistant" of the last 10 years is accused of attepting to extort Pitino. She looks familiar:

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/08/70/28/slideshow_528708_hats5.jpg

Wonder what she was going to "reveal" about Patino and his assistant?

Wow. When the picture is blown up she looks a bit rougher around the edges than I had previously thought... Stiffler's mom. Yep.

Coballs
04-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Wow. When the picture is blown up she looks a bit rougher around the edges than I had previously thought... Stiffler's mom. Yep.

As a rule, I would never trust a woman with a purple lamp shade on her head.

Cameron
04-20-2009, 09:21 PM
It's being reported that the blackmail allegations by Pitino are actually Pitino's way of backpedaling his way out of forced sex with the woman in the "purple lamp shade."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ruth-comes-out

Looks like Rick might have some explaining to do.

rthomas
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
It's being reported that the blackmail allegations by Pitino are actually Pitino's way of backpedaling his way out of forced sex with the woman in the "purple lamp shade."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ruth-comes-out

This has happened to me more than once, so I know where he is coming from.:)

ps your link doesn't work.

mgtr
04-20-2009, 10:10 PM

I liked the line better on I Love Lucy -- "Ricky, you've got some 'splainin' to do."

Some years ago, when one of my students would make a ridiculous claim or give a ridiculous answer, I would tell them, "Splain me how that works." While they were generally too young to get the reference, it amused me.

BD80
04-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Sounds like Tim Syphor is the ultimate "bro":

Sypher and Pitino met at Louisville restaurant Porcini nearly six years ago. At the time, Sypher was single. Pitino was not.

They talked, stayed late, then Pitino “took advantage of Sypher,” resulting in an abortion and five years of silence.

Offers by Pitino for cars, houses, and money weren’t taken by the family. Instead, only fear kept Sypher and anyone informed with the situation quiet.

Soon after the incident at Porcini, Karen Sypher was introduced to Tim, the equipment manager for the Louisville basketball team. Tim took care of Karen, eventually taking her to get an abortion at a clinic in Cincinnati before the two fell in love.

Tim married [the] single mother of four after a relationship that was less than a year long, and a fifth child was soon on its way.

(From Bleacher link)

He threw himself on the handgrenade for Pitino. He married the handgrenade!

Cameron
04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
I liked the line better on I Love Lucy -- "Ricky, you've got some 'splainin' to do."

Haha, mgtr, I was this close to writing it like that.

And sorry about the link. Here it is again. Hopefully this works..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/158741-rick-pitino-extortion-attempt-false-truth-comes-out

verga
04-21-2009, 01:45 AM
she has the look that would tend to make older men and young ones too, do things their mother would not approve of. Purple hat or not, i see why he might have strayed.

hc5duke
04-21-2009, 02:18 AM
she has the look that would tend to make older men and young ones too, do things their mother would not approve of. Purple hat or not, i see why he might have strayed.

while we're quoting TV, here's one from King of the Hill (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118375/quotes): "Aren't you pretty. I see how you could make a weak man stupid."

Carlos
04-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Interesting - the Bleacher Report (which is usually the least reliable source for sports news on the web) has pulled the report. Since it was the only place where I had seen any specifics as to the nature of the allegations I wonder if someone reached out to them with the threat of action should they let the article stand.

moonpie23
04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
apparently the news station she gave her story to is having trouble substantiating her story to their satisfaction..

moonpie23
04-21-2009, 09:11 AM

i'm trying to remember ANY woman being un-attractive when dressed for the Kentucky Derby. (altho, i'm sure y'all will find an example) ;)

BD80
04-21-2009, 10:03 AM
i'm trying to remember ANY woman being un-attractive when dressed for the Kentucky Derby. (altho, i'm sure y'all will find an example) ;)

Is that before or after the six mint juleps?

apparently the news station she gave her story to is having trouble substantiating her story to their satisfaction..

Or was it to the satisfaction of the Louisville boosters? Apparently the documents and phone logs corroborated the woman's account. This is a news story. There is a claim of extortion. True or false, her account is news and should not have been suppressed.

Louisville must have impressive boosters. Think of the spurious claims made against Duke Lacrosse players, they got plenty of attention, reporting and discussion. Much of that was Nifong's fault. Here, though, we have the ACCUSED wanted to tell her side and the press suppressing the story.

Interesting - the Bleacher Report (which is usually the least reliable source for sports news on the web) has pulled the report. Since it was the only place where I had seen any specifics as to the nature of the allegations I wonder if someone reached out to them with the threat of action should they let the article stand.

They replaced the "report" with their take on libel v free speech. It sure does seem like they are getting some pressure.

I am NOT saying her version of events is true. I AM amazed that her version cannot even make it to the light of day.

moonpie23
04-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Is that before or after the six mint juleps?

well, breakfast is breakfast on Derby day :)

Or was it to the satisfaction of the Louisville boosters?

are you saying the boosters are controlling the TV affiliate?

Much of that was Nifong's fault.

10% crystal 90% fong

I AM amazed that her version cannot even make it to the light of day.

seems like it has...

stickdog
04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Sounds like Tim Syphor is the ultimate "bro":

(From Bleacher link)

He threw himself on the handgrenade for Pitino. He married the handgrenade!

Well, he was hired to manage Pitino's equipment.

weezie
04-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, he was hired to manage Pitino's equipment.

Ba-da-bump-bump....too easy!;)

BD80
04-21-2009, 02:40 PM
...are you saying the boosters are controlling the TV affiliate?

I am suggesting the possibility. Stations would typically kill to have the chance to divulge the salacious details. It is not libel if it is news and her telling her side is news, even if she is lying. Why wouldn't they air the story, if it would bring HUGE ratings? Sensitivity?

Some advertisers are undoubtedly Luhaville boosters. They would have the pull to push the story under.

Originally Posted by BD80
"I AM amazed that her version cannot even make it to the light of day."

seems like it has...

Has it? Where? It is hard to find proof of that! One of the highest profile coaches in the country files charges of extortion and there is no news of the details of the alleged extortion?

Think of the firestorm of media coverage for the Duke lacrosse case. So far, this is the opposite. I find it strange.

JasonEvans
04-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Think of the firestorm of media coverage for the Duke lacrosse case. So far, this is the opposite. I find it strange.

An adult male having a consenting relationship with an adult female several years ago versus a bunch of college kids allegedly gang raping a professional hooker/stripper and you are surprised that the media coverage of the stories is not similar?

Huh?

Also should be noted that, in the wake of the media's horrible handling of the Lax case, there may be a serious effort to make sure they "get it right" on this salacious sports-sex story versus just printing everything the accuser has to say. If Stiffler's mom has anything to back up her story, I am sure it will find the light of day eventually. Proceding cautiously when someone's perrsonal reputation is at stake seems perfectly fine to me.

--Jason "adultery versus rape/sexual abuse is a no brainer in terms of media attention" Evans

moonpie23
04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
i would say that it HAS seen the light of day....we, as are a bunch of other internet boards and news orgs (espn) ARE talking about it..

from what i've seen (and trust me, this is not a priority for me) the TV station is the only "source" she's actually given the story to...

i'd say there's a credible effort by the affiliate to be a bit more convinced. you think the boosters would be more mad that you broke the story, or more mad that you "broke" a "non-story"?

BD80
04-21-2009, 04:22 PM
An adult male having a consenting relationship with an adult female several years ago versus a bunch of college kids allegedly gang raping a professional hooker/stripper and you are surprised that the media coverage of the stories is not similar?

Huh?

Also should be noted that, in the wake of the media's horrible handling of the Lax case, there may be a serious effort to make sure they "get it right" on this salacious sports-sex story versus just printing everything the accuser has to say. If Stiffler's mom has anything to back up her story, I am sure it will find the light of day eventually. Proceding cautiously when someone's perrsonal reputation is at stake seems perfectly fine to me.

--Jason "adultery versus rape/sexual abuse is a no brainer in terms of media attention" Evans

I am contrasting the media coverage. I am not comparing the alleged crimes.

I am not saying there SHOULD be more media coverage, I am astonished that there isn't more. How many instances do we have in which the media has exercised such commendable judgment?

I suggest there may be some external force at work enhancing the media's new-found conscience.

SilkyJ
04-21-2009, 05:16 PM
I am contrasting the media coverage. I am not comparing the alleged crimes.

That's exactly what jason just did. Jason "adultery versus rape/sexual abuse is a no brainer in terms of media attention" Evans

See the part at the end about "media attention."

In this talk about "suppression" of the story, or at least the woman's side of the story, I didnt see any discussion of whether the FBI or prosecutors or whoever is involved from the gov't/law enforcement side could be asking for the story to be suppressed. I see them as being more likely to influence a news outlet's decision to air a story more than a group of boosters...

BD80
04-24-2009, 06:46 PM
[Karen Sypher] was charged with trying to extort Louisville men's basketball coach Rick Pitino, at first demanding cars and tuition for her children, then later asking for $10 million, according a federal complaint filed Friday. ...

Sypher's husband, Tim Sypher, brought Pitino a written list of demands including tuition, two cars of her choice, her house paid off and $3,000 per month, according to the complaint. Those were replaced with the $10 million demand, the complaint said.

It wasn't clear why she was demanding the money. Court documents say only that Pitino believed it was related to an encounter in 2003.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4096770

Interesting that the extranged husband, the DEFENDANT in the divorce proceedings, is testifying against his soon to be ex-wife. Reminds me of the exhange in My Cousin Vinny:

Vinny Gambini: Your Honor, may I have permission to treat Ms. Vito as a hostile witness?
Mona Lisa Vito: You think I'm hostile now, wait 'til you see me tonight.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Do you two know each other?
Vinny Gambini: Yeah, she's my fiancée.
Judge Chamberlain Haller: Well, that would certainly explain the hostility.

BD80
04-27-2009, 09:08 AM
I find this case compelling.

There are a couple of issues from the AP report
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-pitino-extortion&prov=ap&type=lgns

that jump out at me:

According to the criminal complaint, Sypher’s husband, Tim Sypher, brought Pitino a written list of demands including tuition, two cars of her choice, paying off her house and $3,000 per month.

The guy was involved in the extortion attempt, no charges have been brought against him, and he is now "voic[ing] his support for his boss."

Why the complete change of heart?

According to the criminal complaint written by FBI Special Agent Steven Wight, Pitino received two voicemail messages from a man who did not identify himself on Feb. 26 and a third call on Feb. 28.

Pitino told Wight the first two concerned personal allegations that were “criminal in nature” and could harm the coach’s reputation, while the third was a threat to make the allegations public in two weeks.

Wight notes in the complaint that the truth about the allegations against Pitino is “suspect.” The allegations were left out of the criminal complaint.

Interesting that the allegations were left out of the criminal complaint, they are included in the divorce complaint. Fortunately, I have no experience with criminal complaints, but I would think the allegations underlying the alleged extortion would be material to the complaint (what was the specific action threatened if money wasn't paid?).

[Special Agent] Wight said Karen Sypher hired an attorney March 22 and the attorney mailed Pitino a letter repeating the allegations made in the voicemail, but in greater detail.

In the letter, Sypher also accused Pitino of orchestrating the threatening calls, Wight said. The attorney filed a divorce petition on her behalf and made demands of Pitino, including one for $10 million, Wight said. An affidavit containing the allegations against Pitino and attached to the petition has been sealed.

These allegations were made by a licensed attorney. I know what most people think of attorneys, but to include frivolous or known false statements in a pleading threatens the attorney's license to practice law. Sending the allegations in a letter to Pitino would implicate him in the supposed extortion. VERY strange.

moonpie23
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
what, exactly, is supposed to have done to this woman?