PDA

View Full Version : WBB Recruiting: Tayler Hill is off the board

MHTorringjan
04-20-2009, 11:13 AM
As much as I don't want to set off yet another Coach-P-flame-fest, I have to cop up to it when I get shown up. According to Hoopgurlz.com (via ESPN), the last big recruit for the coming season, McDonald's All Ammerican Tayler Hill has decided to sign with Ohio State. Don't think I saw any mention of this in any other recent threads, but I may have missed it and if so, my apologies. :-\

It's kind of disappointing that the last big recruit that would have been a major part of this year's incoming class isn't coming here. Especially missing out on a good, agile shooter like Hill. Anyway, you know me, always the optimist, and I'm still going to be excited for us this coming year (although slightly apprehensive, admittedly).

blueprofessor
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
As much as I don't want to set off yet another Coach-P-flame-fest, I have to cop up to it when I get shown up. According to Hoopgurlz.com (via ESPN), the last big recruit for the coming season, McDonald's All Ammerican Tayler Hill has decided to sign with Ohio State.

It's kind of disappointing that the last big recruit that would have been a major part of this year's incoming class isn't coming here. Especially missing out on a good, agile shooter like Hill. Anyway, you know me, always the optimist, and I'm still going to be excited for us this coming year (although slightly apprehensive, admittedly).

We lost every top recruit, including a number to our conference rivals.
If Coach McCallie had never stated that she did not like recruiting, it would have to have been inferred.
IIRC, she inherited 8 McD. All-Americas her first year and had 7 on this year's team.
There is a huge talent differential between the top 30 (maybe top 50) women high school players and the rest.The pool of excellent recruits is shallow.

While recruiting top talent in men's bball is critical, in the women's game it is life and death.

Best--Blueprof :)

roywhite
04-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Sorry to hear we missed out on Tayler Hill; she sounds like a good one. I'm also aware of the concerns about recruiting in the women's program.

One item for the class of 2009 is that the best player may be Allison Vernerey, who is from France and would therefore not appear on any McDonald's or Parade All-America list. She is apparently a good inside player, who scores, rebounds, and defends well.

Coach P does have a hard act to follow; I wish her well.

CameronBornAndBred
04-20-2009, 03:04 PM
As much as I don't want to set off yet another Coach-P-flame-fest.
That's a doomed endeavor.
Thanks for the update, I was hoping we could pull her in. Because we didn't get any all-americans this year does not spell death for our program however. McCallie has coached a team with 0 all-americans to the championship game before. Hopefully she won't have to go that route again, and our recruiting picks up, but if not, she has proven she is capable of doing lots of things with the women she has.

blueprofessor
04-20-2009, 04:12 PM
That's a doomed endeavor.
Thanks for the update, I was hoping we could pull her in. Because we didn't get any all-americans this year does not spell death for our program however. McCallie has coached a team with 0 all-americans to the championship game before. Hopefully she won't have to go that route again, and our recruiting picks up, but if not, she has proven she is capable of doing lots of things with the women she has.

The Duke women she has included 8 McD. AAs in 2007--2008 and 7 in 2008--9.
If she does not recruit elite players (we are in the ACC ,not the Big 11), when our competitors are restocking top players, then I am very pessimistic, as her coaching(witness the lack of prep and in-game paralysis in the Mich. State game) is sub-par. She also has the bad habit ,destructive of morale, of throwing her players under the bus.

For an analysis by a number of well-informed and knowledgeable Duke fans, visit the women's bball forum at the Devil's Den.It is an eye-opener and they know their women's ball.

Best regards--Blueprof

miramar
04-20-2009, 04:17 PM
That's a shame. Hill seems to be a very good offensive player, and that would have been a big plus for WBB. McCallie has done well w/o the All-Americans in the past, but to be competitive year in and year out, particularly in the ACC, I think that WBB is going to have to recruit and develop top talent. Not to mention that our old friend Gino is trying to take things to an even higher level, and the other top teams will have to keep up.

I believe that Vernerey is 6-5 and she has experience with the French junior team, so she's definitely one to watch. I don't want to get overly dramatic, but it seems that the incoming class of 2010 (whoever that may be) is going to be extremely important for the future of WBB at Duke.

gotham devil
04-22-2009, 03:16 AM
The Duke women she has included 8 McD. AAs in 2007--2008 and 7 in 2008--9.
If she does not recruit elite players (we are in the ACC ,not the Big 11), when our competitors are restocking top players, then I am very pessimistic, as her coaching(witness the lack of prep and in-game paralysis in the Mich. State game) is sub-par. She also has the bad habit ,destructive of morale, of throwing her players under the bus.

For an analysis by a number of well-informed and knowledgeable Duke fans, visit the women's bball forum at the Devil's Den.It is an eye-opener and they know their women's ball.

Best regards--Blueprof
My concern about Kevin White is that he will accept mediocrity.
The vast majority of Notre Dame fans still hold it against him that he wanted to hang onto collosal failure Tyrone Willingham, despite ever worsening recruiting. Willingham went on to hustle Washington into a five year contract before running their program into the ground.

Hopefully, White will not allow Coach P to squander the elite status that Coach G worked so hard to achieve through winning tough recruiting battles. Joanne Boyle, Alleva's first option, just landed four McDonald's All-Americans this season. It's a shame Alleva couldn't land her.

MHTorringjan
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
The vast majority of Notre Dame fans still hold it against him that he wanted to hang onto collosal failure Tyrone Willingham, despite ever worsening recruiting. Willingham went on to hustle Washington into a five year contract before running their program into the ground.

Hopefully, White will not allow Coach P to squander the elite status that Coach G worked so hard to achieve through winning tough recruiting battles. Joanne Boyle, Alleva's first option, just landed four McDonald's All-Americans this season. It's a shame Alleva couldn't land her.

Well, at the very least, that was not for lack of trying. Trying hard enough, that may be another story (as would be the question of "is there a hard enough to get someone to leave a place they really, really, really don't want to leave?"). ;-)

miramar
04-22-2009, 11:13 AM

White's experience with Willingham may have been part of Notre Dame's athletic tradition. Going back a bit, Gerry Faust was clearly a bust from early on, but ND honored his five year contract because they thought it was the right thing to do. Willingham did well his first year (although it ended poorly), then stumbled badly his second. The school gave him a third year to show what he could do, and when it didn't work out as well as expected, they fired him, which at the time was a real departure from the norm.

At Duke the administration is generally fair and patient, but they definitely expect results within a reasonable amount of time, and I think that's the way it should be.