PDA

View Full Version : Duke Baseball - Great Comeback

chrishoke
04-12-2009, 06:09 PM
After losing the first game to NCS, and winning the second game, Duke fell behind 5-0 in the critical rubber game, slowly pecked away tying the game sending it into extra innings, then immediately fell behind 7-5 in the top of the tenth - then promply scored 3 in the bottom of the tenth to win 8-7. This was a must win in their quest to qualify for the ACC Tournament. Congrats to the team!

dukebsbll14
04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Congrats on a great win!

Great win for our Blue Devils. The ACC is very tough this season, it looks like we're only out of the tourney by two places (Carolina is one place ahead of us)

gvtucker
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Congrats on a great win!

Great win for our Blue Devils. The ACC is very tough this season, it looks like we're only out of the tourney by two places (Carolina is one place ahead of us)

Nope. We're the 8th best record right now, the final qualifying place for the tournament. The top two teams in each division qualify, and then after that, the next 4 teams, regardless of division, qualify.

sandinmyshoes
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
This team has had some good wins. You get the feeling that they're just a bit of depth short of making a big leap in the standings.

chrishoke
04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3718617

jimsumner
04-12-2009, 09:45 PM
The Freiman at-bat that drove in the game winner was a classic.

Tie game, bottom of tenth, runners on 1st and third. I assumed State would walk Freiman and take their chances with Gould.

Little do I know.

Their reliever Cutler got ahead of Nate with two called strikes. I was already trying to figure out who would pitch for Duke in the 11th. Cutler kept making good pitches and Freiman kept fouling them off, five in a row at one point. Worked the count to full, finally pulled one in the hole. State SS made a diving stop but couldn't come up with it clean and that was it.

Alex Hassan also deserves kudos. He hasn't worked more than two innings in relief all season and he went 4+ before hitting the wall. And this is a guy who plays in the field practically every inning that counts and then comes in to pitch. Ain't easy, folks.

Speaking of ain't easy, Duke only has one real catcher; Freiman fills in when absolutely necessary. But Mat Williams caught all 18 innings yersterday, 10 today and still had enough left to drive in the tying run with two outs in the tenth.

This was a huge win. Gives Duke a two-game lead on the Pack and the tie-breaker on State. Four ACC series left, Maryland and UVA on the road, BC and GT at home.

In case you're counting, Duke hasn't been to the NCAA Tournament since 1961. No that's not a typo, folks. Still, a lot of work to do to get to that level but it's a realistic goal and Duke hasn't been able to say that in mid-April since the 1990s.

jjasper0729
04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
even though they lost the first game of the DH, I was impressed with their starting pitching. I was concerned that they were having trouble stringing together hits or taking advantage of walks, but they seem patient at the plate and that can only be a good thing. Here's hoping they can put together a few more conference wins. I'll most likely be at the BC series (hoping for warmer weather too)