PDA

View Full Version : D-Marc Signed to Contract; Deng out for Year?

hedgehog
04-10-2009, 04:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4057391

Brief Summary: Luol Deng is likely out the rest of the year for after a setback in his recovery from a stress fracture in his tibia.
DeMarcus Nelson, mostly recently of the D-League Austin Toros, signed to a 20 day contract with the Bulls.

A bummer about Deng, but congrats for DeMarcus for making it back to the League!

CDu
04-10-2009, 07:15 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4057391

Brief Summary: Luol Deng is likely out the rest of the year for after a setback in his recovery from a stress fracture in his tibia.
DeMarcus Nelson, mostly recently of the D-League Austin Toros, signed to a 20 day contract with the Bulls.

A bummer about Deng, but congrats for DeMarcus for making it back to the League!

Congrats to Nelson, although I have to believe that Nelson was signed to be a practice squad player. With Rose, Gordon, and Hinrich in front of him, it's hard to see him getting much time. The team's current fourth guard (Lindsey Hunter) sees maybe 2 minutes per game. But it's nice for Nelson to be back on an NBA roster.

The Deng news is not surprising. He's been inactive since February with the injury. Originally, he was expected to miss the rest of the year. Then, there was hope that maybe rest would get him back on the court. That was probably only because the team was making a playoff push.

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2009, 08:20 AM
That's awesome, he's been playing really well in the D-League. Here he was selected as one of the top 10 players, http://dimemag.com/2009/04/hot-hand-list-the-top-10-d-league-players/

miramar
04-10-2009, 10:01 AM
That's great news about DeMarcus. Whether or not he gets playing time, at least he's on somebody's radar. I was impressed that he shot 42% on threes in the D-League. Since he's not a natural outside shooter, that is obviously the result of a lot of hard work.

HK Dukie
04-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I know Nelson was sent to the D-League by the warriors but can someone explain to me how he ends up being signed by the Bulls? Is D-league different than the minors in baseball and you can get signed by ANY team? Or perhaps he was traded between D-league teams (it said he was on two diff teams this year).

Anyways, congrats to Nelson. It looks like he tore that league up. Now he gets a chance to be on a playoff team. Awesome baby!

Hinrich, break a leg...... :p

Bluedog
04-10-2009, 10:59 AM
I know Nelson was sent to the D-League by the warriors but can someone explain to me how he ends up being signed by the Bulls? Is D-league different than the minors in baseball and you can get signed by ANY team? Or perhaps he was traded between D-league teams (it said he was on two diff teams this year).

Anyways, congrats to Nelson. It looks like he tore that league up. Now he gets a chance to be on a playoff team. Awesome baby!

Hinrich, break a leg...... :p

D-League players actually sign a contract with the league as a whole and not an individual team. Each D-League team has 1, 2, or 3 NBA "affiliates," but it's not like baseball's minor league's where they have to go to the major league affiliate or be traded. Any team in the NBA can call up any player that is not on assignment (a rookie or sophomore player with a contract for another team). The affiliates are typically more involved, though, with more extensive communication, perhaps shared facilites, the coaches pay attention, etc. so they are the most likely team to call up the player. D-league players can always be traded if they're not assignment players, since those rights are owned by the parent team. An individual player can only be assigned to the D-league three times in a given season. I saw that Dmarc played in Adriatic League club KK Zagreb for a single game and then was dismissed. Apparently, he was the first non-Croatian even on that club and was trying to get a few of his friends involved, but details are hazy. Probably just wasn't a good fit, and I think he was literally in Croatia for less than a week. I'm glad to see him back in the NBA, especially with the Bulls! Even if it's just for practice squad action....

CameronBornAndBred
04-10-2009, 11:39 AM
When he was sent by the Warriors to the D-League, he was still under contract. Once he was released, he was free to do what he wanted I believe. That's why on his second trip he played for Austin (and Quin Snyder) and was free to be called up by the Bulls.

CDu
04-10-2009, 11:48 AM
When he was sent by the Warriors to the D-League, he was still under contract. Once he was released, he was free to do what he wanted I believe. That's why on his second trip he played for Austin (and Quin Snyder) and was free to be called up by the Bulls.

Yup. The Warriors had his rights originally. He played for Bakersfield while he was still under contract with the Warriors. But the Warriors released Nelson in January. He was therefore a free agent.