PDA

View Full Version : Common Misconceptions from Duke Fans

BlueintheFace
04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
I was reading a novel about John Wall today (aka- the John Wall thread) and I was amazed at some of the statements that popped up. This got me thinking... we should create and debate a list of common misconceptions espoused or implied by Duke Fans.

I'll start it off:

Coach K doesn't recruit big men

Duke never plays zone

Next Season we will run 9-10 deep! (as applied to every off-season)

moonpie23
04-08-2009, 02:04 PM
duke doesn't develop nba players.

wojo doesn't have anything a big man can learn

cameron indoor can't rival the "big time arenas"

Icarus09
04-08-2009, 02:05 PM
I was reading a novel about John Wall today (aka- the John Wall thread) and I was amazed at some of the statements that popped up. This got me thinking... we should create and debate a list of common misconceptions espoused or implied by Duke Fans.

I'll start it off:

Coach K doesn't recruit big men

Duke never plays zone

Next Season we will run 9-10 deep! (as applied to every off-season)

We don't recruit athletic players.

BlueintheFace
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
8) Incoming recruit X looked great in summer league. He has to start!

9) Coach K plays veteran players over younger ones even if the younger ones are obviously better

geraldsneighbor
04-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Duke only recruits white players.

gotham devil
04-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Take a look at this worthwhile YouTube video!
This freshman will surely be a stud.

KyDevilinIL
04-08-2009, 02:43 PM
The ACC is the best conference in the nation this year.

Classof06
04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Despite the fact that it's taken us three full seasons to land a legit back-to-the-basket post player, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Duke's recruiting. Everything's just rosy.

Matches
04-08-2009, 02:54 PM
[insert name of player who averaged 0.7 points and -2.3 rebounds per game in recently-concluded season] will average a double-double next season after a summer of practice.

We will succeed because we are Duke, and thus we are better than everyone else.

Small-ball is a thing of the past - Kyle will be playing the 3 all next year.

[insert name of player] will return to Duke rather than entering the NBA draft, because you can't put a price tag on a college education.

K doesn't recruit one-and-done players.

jv001
04-08-2009, 03:04 PM
1. Duke guys don't make it in the NBA.
2. _______ is tearing it up in pick up games this summer. He's sure to start.
3. Coach K has passed his prime. We need new blood.
Bah. Hogwash! Go Duke!

SMO
04-08-2009, 03:05 PM
[insert name] is playing too many minutes.
[insert name]'s body language is bringing the whole team down.
Coach K only recruits players from affluent, traditional families.

UrinalCake
04-08-2009, 03:08 PM
We'll do better next year because our guys will be a year older. Every other team's players stay the same age.

runandhide21
04-08-2009, 03:12 PM
[insert name of player who averaged 0.7 points and -2.3 rebounds per game in recently-concluded season] will average a double-double next season after a summer of practice.

We will succeed because we are Duke, and thus we are better than everyone else.

Small-ball is a thing of the past - Kyle will be playing the 3 all next year.

[insert name of player] will return to Duke rather than entering the NBA draft, because you can't put a price tag on a college education.

K doesn't recruit one-and-done players.

I disagree with the one-and-done element. When is the last time we recruited someone who left after one year? Maggette? I would love to see them go after more one-and-doners (i.e. John Wall) and get them...

UrinalCake
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM

[insert name of player]'s family is wealthy, therefore he doesn't need any money and will spurn the NBA for another year enjoying the college atmosphere.

Matches
04-08-2009, 03:13 PM
I disagree with the one-and-done element. When is the last time we recruited someone who left after one year? Maggette? I would love to see them go after more one-and-doners (i.e. John Wall) and get them...

Luol Deng. We also missed on several other one-n-doner's, including Brandan Wright.

gethlives
04-08-2009, 03:14 PM
I disagree with the one-and-done element. When is the last time we recruited someone who left after one year? Maggette?

Brandan Wright

DukieInKansas
04-08-2009, 03:15 PM

Deng?

IF we don't win the NCAA Tournament or at least make the Final Four, it isn't a successful season.

UrinalCake
04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Shaun Livingston would be another example.

Of course, you could argue that when the recruiting process begins, it's tough to know what players will wind up being one-and-done'ers. So perhaps these players were recruited because there was the potential they'd stay longer.

Cameron
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
There are too many white Duke guards on the bench (i.e. "yes men" on the coaching staff). We need some NBA assistants (perhaps Mike D'Antoni?) or guys from other schools on the bench.

_____ hit 45 straight threes in practice the other day, and hasn't missed a 15' jumper in three weeks. I'm his g/f, I know.

We are losing because we shoot too many three-pointers, nevermind the fact that we shot the most three-pointers in NCAA history in a single season in 2000-01.

We're going to challenge for a Final Four next year, because Dick Vitale has us at number two!

captmojo
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Pocket reference segments 1 and 6

9F

Icarus09
04-08-2009, 11:03 PM
(in recruiting panic) I saw this guy on scout/rivals and he's rated Xth in his class. Why aren't we recruiting this guy? He sounds really good!

Cameron
04-08-2009, 11:13 PM
King Taylor will average 35 points a game and make 225 threes, mark it down. Coach K loves three-point shooters, and the King will play every minute

:rolleyes:

BlueintheFace
04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Pocket reference segments 1 and 6

9F

Perhaps some updates are needed for Throaty's masterpiece (seriously, everyone should read it every few months to remind themselves of how unoriginal their posts are). After next season, it might be time to add a few new ones though.

Cameron
04-08-2009, 11:45 PM
Lol who cares.

sagegrouse
04-08-2009, 11:49 PM
King Taylor will average 35 points a game and make 225 threes, mark it down. Coach K loves three-point shooters, and the King will play every minute

Czyz is Polish for Jesus, and believe me, Olek is the second coming.

sagegrouse

FireOgilvie
04-09-2009, 12:02 AM

King was the only transfer that I was somewhat sad to see go... he did put up 27 or something against Directional Kentucky U. in like 20 minutes. He clearly didn't fit in with the Duke system (man-to-man defense). But then when he transfers, he has every school in the country to choose from and he chose Villanova, which plays the exact same defense.

MrBisonDevil
04-09-2009, 12:14 AM
- Duke is afraid to get down & dirty in the paint (Duke can't rebound).

- Duke BF/PFs are really 6'7" - 6'10" SG/SF/WFs who play out of position.

- Duke needs a Top 10 recruit every year or we'll stall at the Sweet 16.

devildownunder
04-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Duke only recruits white players.

This and similar mythconceptions*, in particular, are becoming a problem for us.

*yes, I meant to write it that way.

devildownunder
04-09-2009, 12:53 AM
The ACC is the best conference in the nation this year.

LOL! Ouch! Truth hurts. A lot of us kid ourselves in '09 on this one.

devildownunder
04-09-2009, 12:54 AM
duke doesn't develop nba players.

wojo doesn't have anything a big man can learn

cameron indoor can't rival the "big time arenas"

When has anyone here ever bagged on Cameron? I've missed those comments.

ice-9
04-09-2009, 06:02 AM
Duke basketball is in a crisis!

...and...

Duke basketball is still as good as it ever was!

Cameron
04-09-2009, 09:47 AM
King was the only transfer that I was somewhat sad to see go... he did put up 27 or something against Directional Kentucky U. in like 20 minutes. He clearly didn't fit in with the Duke system (man-to-man defense). But then when he transfers, he has every school in the country to choose from and he chose Villanova, which plays the exact same defense.

I agree with you, Forgive. I was sick to my stomach when I read the news Taylor was gone. But, he bailed on the program, bailed on his teammates, bailed on the coaching staff, and then threw pot shots Durham's way after leaving (i.e. his comments before the Nova game about "stopping at nothing to make sure Duke loses" and that he'll "tirelessly work on giving away every 'secret' every Duke player has on the court to make sure they go down."

I can't be saddened for a guy like that. I'm grateful for the time he put in here. But he knew what he was getting into when he signed on for the Devils, and he wasn't willing to pay the price and work his way up. I can't respect that.

I also agree with your point about Nova and its defense. Should be interesting to see how much burn Taylor gets, especially with the great class the Wildcats have coming in. Because Wright does tend to play more of a four guard offense, I expect Taylor will get minutes, but it will interesting.

I'll still tune in and catch a few of his bombs, though. Those left-handed prayers were beautiful. I'll give him that.

UrinalCake
04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
"Duke needs to sign a ganga' player from the hood, in order to make Duke "cool" again."

I appreciate a three point bomber as much as the next guy, but honestly if King had stayed here I doubt he would have seen the floor much at all this past year.

KandG
04-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Getting "X" recruit would re-open the floodgates and turn the program around 180 degrees.

I wasn't aware I was following a program that needed a 180 degree turnaround. Boo on me.

UrinalCake
04-09-2009, 11:57 AM
School X has a player who was a two-star recruit and is now better than our five-star recruits. Therefore, we should change our recruiting strategy to only go after two-star recruits.

CLT Devil
04-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Coach K coaching the Olympic Team hurt our recruiting this year as well as our offseason improvement.

If you don't get significant minutes by the time the ACC season starts you will be stuck at the end of the bench (See Elliott Williams)