PDA

View Full Version : Hey, the foxes!

Fish80
04-08-2009, 08:43 AM
My fox has kits!

Foxes live in the woods in front of my house. This morning I was out with the dogs and we saw at least 3 kits scrambling to get down into the den. The momma was running away from the den and yelling in an attempt to distract us.

rthomas
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
red or gray?

camion
04-08-2009, 10:05 AM
You must also have a wild and crazy guy fox cruising the neighborhood.

Fish80
04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Red foxes.

Yes, there is a wild and crazy guy fox! Great skit. :D

captmojo
04-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Red foxes.

Yes, there is a wild and crazy guy fox! Great skit. :D

Oh. Skit.
I was thinking rabies. :eek:

devildeac
04-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Made me think of the old SNL skit, too.

Fish80
04-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe I gave this thread the wrong title. Or not.

Now I worry about my dogs. The momma fox can be extremely aggressive when she has kits. Last year she tried to bust through our sliding glass door to get at the beagle. And she chased our neighbors cat right through their cat door (stopped at the door).

The kits look like they are at least a couple of weeks old, so maybe the likelihood of an attack is diminished.

My beagle is old but feisty. If she could get free, she would launch the first strike. When she was young she could have given the fox a good fight. Now, she has the will but not the skill.

My lab is young, strong, and fast. But she would try to play and lick the fox. Would she defend herself? I hope so, but we'll try to avoid finding out.

DukieInKansas
04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Did she run into the glass door not knowing it was there? If so, did you get it on tape?

How fun to watch the kits grow up. I see a red fox in my neighborhood occasionally - always unexpected in a built up suburban area.

Fish80
04-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Did she run into the glass door not knowing it was there? If so, did you get it on tape?

How fun to watch the kits grow up. I see a red fox in my neighborhood occasionally - always unexpected in a built up suburban area.

She knew the door was there, she was clawing at it and trying to get through.

Last night I counted 6 kits! They were playing and wrestling. I'll try to get some pictures to post.

Fish80
04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
During the wee hours of the morning the foxes where screeching and making a racket. If you haven't heard a fox scream, let me tell you it is a very primordial thing. It almost sounds like a young child screaming.

Whether they were terrified of a predator, enjoying the spoils of a successful hunt, or just having a great fox party, I don't know.

DukieInKansas
04-12-2009, 04:12 PM
During the wee hours of the morning the foxes where screeching and making a racket. If you haven't heard a fox scream, let me tell you it is a very primordial thing. It almost sounds like a young child screaming.

Whether they were terrified of a predator, enjoying the spoils of a successful hunt, or just having a great fox party, I don't know.

:eek: Are they all accounted for this afternoon?

Fish80
04-13-2009, 09:14 AM
:eek: Are they all accounted for this afternoon?

Yes, all the kits are still there. :)

DukieInKansas
04-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes, all the kits are still there. :)

Good to hear.