PDA

View Full Version : This site predicts Duke preseason #1

houstondukie
04-07-2009, 12:38 AM
http://onlinesportsfanatic.com/2009/04/01/initial-college-basketball-top-25-for-2009-2010/

I hope G comes back.

FireOgilvie
04-07-2009, 12:40 AM
It's a total waste of time until we know who is returning and what recruits go where.

tysi1521
04-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Calm down, this season just ended an hour ago.

eddiehaskell
04-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Did he say "if Ty Lawson returns"? Is that even a possibility?

Sgt. Dingleberry
04-07-2009, 12:44 AM
I think that is my neighbor's dogs blog...

I didn't know he could type...

roywhite
04-07-2009, 12:48 AM
It's a total waste of time until we know who is returning and what recruits go where.

...and then it'll be mostly a waste of time. But, hey, I'm hooked; I'll read it all. Just think---practice starts in a little over 6 months. :)

weezie
04-07-2009, 07:48 AM

He probably dictates it to his owner.

Delaware
04-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Did he say "if Ty Lawson returns"? Is that even a possibility?

Not to be a wet blanket, but if he and the other underclassmen at UNC come back, they are probably again the number one team and have one of the most talented starting five again.
Lawson, Ellington, Ginyard, Davis and Thompson.
Not a chance that happens, but it just shows the talent Roy has assembled.

Scorp4me
04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
they ain't coming back. They better be glad they got it this year. I hope they're enjoying it. I heard a Carolina fan say the other day that he was used to partying on Franklin Street cause they beat Duke all the time they've beaten us the last 4 times he said. Man they have short memories over there.

Reddevil
04-07-2009, 11:03 AM

David Berkowitz is a Duke fan? Please no! It's too early folks. All we know is about half of unc's team is gone. See ya!

miramar
04-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Well, I guess if you are going to start making predictions before you know who is leaving and who is staying, April 1 is as good a date as any.

But the guy is certainly honest enough to include plenty of caveats.

Icarus09
04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
He has Thabeet supposedly staying for #5 UCONN? What are the chances that he'll stay like zero? This is further compounded by the fact that Calhoun has gotten himself into a real mess. Who would want to stick around for the NCAA investigation of that?

Hancock 4 Duke
04-07-2009, 11:45 AM
I believe that top 5 could go in any order. Duke could be 1st, or 5th. I think that if those UNC players go (Davis, Lawson, and Green and Hanswhoever are leaving) they would be a little lower in the seeding, no doubt.

-jk
04-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Projecting next season's rankings without knowing rosters is like projecting next season's starting line ups without knowing rosters.

Fun, perhaps, and a way to kill time, but ultimately futile.

-jk

gumbomoop
04-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Projecting next season's rankings without knowing rosters is like projecting next season's starting line ups without knowing rosters.

Fun, perhaps, and a way to kill time, but ultimately futile.

-jk

Futile, yes, but that word applies to 95% of these [and 100% of my] posts; so, it's ok to have a little fun..... Starting with being very, very skeptical of any 09-10 preseason top 25 that fails to include Villanova and Texas, save as "also under consideration." Both are very likely to have 4-5 solid players returning, and both have strong recruiting classes. I got Nova and Tex in my top 6-7, along with Kansas, Mich St, UNC, and Duke.

It will be fun, if only slightly less futile, to revisit this preseason stuff when the early departures .... depart.

KyDevilinIL
04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bozich/blog.html

Rick Bozich, and apparently whoever was near him on press row in Detroit, don't consider us Top 10.

brevity
04-07-2009, 05:35 PM
http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/bozich/blog.html

Rick Bozich, and apparently whoever was near him on press row in Detroit, don't consider us Top 10.

Here's their list:

This is what we settled on, in reverse order.

10. Texas
9. West Virginia
8. Villanova
7. North Carolina
6. UCLA
5. Purdue
4. Wake Forest
3. Syracuse
2. Michigan State
1. Kansas

A decent assessment; they assume Jonny Flynn returns and Ellington/Lawson go. Signs have pointed to both assumptions being correct.

I do a year-in-advance Final Four prediction, good for occasional gems but often wrong. Click the link in the signature if you're interested, but I went with Syracuse, Ohio State, Kansas, and Purdue. Ohio State is the question mark -- well, they all are question marks at this point, but I feel the least confident about the Buckeyes. They won't be as tall next year, but I think losing BJ Mullens is a case of addition by subtraction.

I also considered West Virginia and California, but had serious doubts that either Bob Huggins or a Pac-10 team could get the job done. (Duke could make it, but I'd rather view that as a mild surprise than an adherence to expectation. They should be in the preseason top 10.)

As for conferences, the Big Ten should be the strongest next season, as it seems to lose the least amount of talent to graduation and the draft. Michigan State may slip a little, but Purdue, Ohio State, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Penn State all look a little better. Of course, it is the Big Ten, so they'll just beat up on each other again and fail to look impressive on a national scale.

DeepBlue70
04-07-2009, 07:17 PM
MSNBC sports page has a link to "14 to watch next year" - sans Duke.

DukieBoy
04-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Dickie V's top 5

5. Mich. St
4. Purdue
3. Syracuse
2. Duke
1. Kansas

The video is on the front page of ESPN's website.

V said that if Henderson returns, with "the S&S boys in Scheyer and Singler" Duke will be dynamite. He also didn't even mention the possibility of Wall, which could boost us to numero uno.

dukeforester
04-07-2009, 10:22 PM
Per NBC Sports these are the 15 teams to watch next year. Where's Duke??? I will heretofore disregard anything MSNBC sports has to say about anything. They list the tarholes and Wake. This is such bull.

CameronBornAndBred
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't mind being under the radar again.

El_Diablo
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Maybe they saw the Villanova game.

bluebear
04-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Another article on the site has Duke #3..even with losing G...

Jarhead
04-07-2009, 10:44 PM
There's a retired Nun at a convent in Alexandria, VA that owns a hamster that predicts anything better than MSNBC Sports, or even ESPN.

Icarus09
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
There's a retired Nun at a convent in Alexandria, VA that owns a hamster that predicts anything better than MSNBC Sports, or even ESPN.

And where does it have us ranked next year? I need to start preparing now...

gumbomoop
04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Per NBC Sports these are the 15 teams to watch next year. Where the f*** is Duke??? I will heretofore disregard anything MSNBC sports has to say about anything. They list the tarholes and Wake. This is such bull sh*t.

First, here's the link, which is worth a gander, even if it is, ummmm, inconsistent: http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3152981/

There are actually 2 stories here: the "Beyond the Arc" list of top 25 is rather more sensible than what dukeforester here refers to, namely, the "Early Contenders" piece.

This latter list is pretty wacky, starting with a glance at admirable but hardly preseason top 6-ish FSU! The idea that FSU won't miss a beat in Douglas' departure is dubious in the extreme. They do indeed have some fine fellows returning, and a future star in Michael Snaer, but replacing Douglas is tough.

But most wacky is absence not only of Duke but 'Nova. In the "Beyond the Arc" list, however, Duke is #3 and 'Nova #11, probably a tad high for us [unless....], low for 'Nova.

-jk
04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll say it again: any projection before next year's rosters are set are futile. Fun, perhaps, but futile.

And definitely not worth getting worked up over.

-jk

gumbomoop
04-07-2009, 11:09 PM
I'll say it again: any projection before next year's rosters are set are futile. Fun, perhaps, but futile.

-jk

Fellow posters: Mod -jk is a Grinch-like party pooper, all the more insufferable for being sort of correct. Press on; have fun; ignore the poop.

Icarus09
04-07-2009, 11:18 PM

-jk

Of course it's futile. Do we really ever do anything on this board besides talk (which I love by the way)? I like to think of DBR as one big support group for all those people out there who are afflicted with the Duke obsession.

G man
04-08-2009, 12:36 AM
He had us second behind Kansas if Gerald does not leave

whereinthehellami
04-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Im not that familiar with Kansas and I'm not really that impressed, so what am I missing? Collins and Aldrich are really good but what is there after that? They play good D and have some length but I don't think that is enough to be a title contender. I would take UNC over them. UNC has enough to throw at Collins and Aldrich to shut them down, with much more talent to spare.

MSU and KY (with Wall) would be my early favorites. MSU loses Suton and Walton but I think they have some tough, talented frontcourt players that will lessen that blow. And I think Lucas looks special. Throw in the athletic Roe, Morgan, and Summers and they will be a tough matchup.

KY has Meeks, Patterson 6-8, Cousins 6-10, and Orton 6-9. If they add Wall to what is probably the best frontcourt in the country, they are big and athletic. Outside shooting might be a little questionable but I like their athletiscm and frontcourt.

proelitedota
04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Similar article from rivals.com.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=933183

quickgtp
04-08-2009, 08:19 PM
If they assume G is leaving then I am fine with it. If G stays I see us as maybe a top 10 team. If G leaves, maybe top 20. No PG, no big and not much athleticism......not good.

gumbomoop
04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
If they assume G is leaving then I am fine with it. If G stays I see us as maybe a top 10 team. If G leaves, maybe top 20. No PG, no big and not much athleticism......not good.

We have an honest, but quite substantial, difference of opinion.

I grant you that we have real question marks, as of this moment the PG issue in particular. As for bigs, I've posted regularly, and as constructively critical as I know how, about the several inconsistencies of LT and Z. Each had his moments, but too few. Further, I've posted that I think Z should redshirt, for his and team's intermediate [i.e., '10-'11 season] benefit. He's still a project, with real, but as yet clearly unrealized, upside. He needs skills development. But I don't expect a redshirt year for him, so I'll predict situation minutes for him next year, even if he starts some of the time. Ditto for LT, who could become a Dave McClure next year. Is that overly optimistic? I don't think so, but it's arguable.

But we got 2 other bigs, the MPs. Many posters this year plugged for more PT for MP1, and Singler's on record as in MP1's ear toward improvement. Perhaps more than you - which I can only assume, given the ref to "no big" - I was actually pretty impressed with MP2's athleticism and smarts in the McD All-Am game. I think MP2, and MP1, both got some game. MP2 can surely get real minutes at both 4 and 5-spots. I realize you are not nearly so optimistic on these points.

Nor on the overall athleticism of the team. Well, I've also posted that I see real improvement from the very athletic Nolan and EWill as key to our season. I recall K/coaches reported as having told Scheyer his soph year that he was deferring too much, that he was recruited to play like a star. My opinion is that Nolan and EWill need to be told same thing. I believe it will harm the team if Nolan is as tentative as this year. He made some wonderful - very athletic - drives this year, but of course far too few.

The athleticism of JS and KS is underappreciated, too. Neither "looks" athletic, probably not bouncy enough and not enough hops, but we can all think of a few amazing[ly athletic] plays by JS; and KS is - surely - one of a very few leading candidates for ACC POY next season. Also preseason All-Am. Yes?

So, halucinating for your and others' benefit, I repeat that, even in so-called "worst-case" scenario - no G/Wall/Bledsoe, and therefore no traditional solution to PG issue - I expect us to be better next season. Preseason top 7.

geraldsneighbor
04-08-2009, 11:44 PM
I'd like some feedback on some of my expectations for next season of our top players if we lose G. Statistically:
Singler 19 pts 9 reb
Scheyer 15 pts 3 apg
Smith 11 pts 3 apg
Williams 9 pts 5 reb

Obviously it is highly contingent on if we get a PG and if we get anything from MP2. I think for the most part they are reasonable progressions. You figure Scheyer won't start ACC play shooting 20% again from the field. Then, you look at Kyle who I think is on a mission to show he is the best player in the conference next year. I like Nolan to progress from 5 ppg as a fresh to 8 as a soph to 11 as a junior who will have added responsibilities and move back to a natural position on the wing. Elliot will develop his jump shot and I think he is the biggest wild card of all of them. If he gets a midrange game I could see his sophomore year going very similarly to that of Gerald averaging near 12 a contest.

Thoughts?

whereinthehellami
04-09-2009, 08:27 AM
We have an honest, but quite substantial, difference of opinion.

I grant you that we have real question marks, as of this moment the PG issue in particular. As for bigs, I've posted regularly, and as constructively critical as I know how, about the several inconsistencies of LT and Z. Each had his moments, but too few. Further, I've posted that I think Z should redshirt, for his and team's intermediate [i.e., '10-'11 season] benefit. He's still a project, with real, but as yet clearly unrealized, upside. He needs skills development. But I don't expect a redshirt year for him, so I'll predict situation minutes for him next year, even if he starts some of the time. Ditto for LT, who could become a Dave McClure next year. Is that overly optimistic? I don't think so, but it's arguable.

But we got 2 other bigs, the MPs. Many posters this year plugged for more PT for MP1, and Singler's on record as in MP1's ear toward improvement. Perhaps more than you - which I can only assume, given the ref to "no big" - I was actually pretty impressed with MP2's athleticism and smarts in the McD All-Am game. I think MP2, and MP1, both got some game. MP2 can surely get real minutes at both 4 and 5-spots. I realize you are not nearly so optimistic on these points.

Nor on the overall athleticism of the team. Well, I've also posted that I see real improvement from the very athletic Nolan and EWill as key to our season. I recall K/coaches reported as having told Scheyer his soph year that he was deferring too much, that he was recruited to play like a star. My opinion is that Nolan and EWill need to be told same thing. I believe it will harm the team if Nolan is as tentative as this year. He made some wonderful - very athletic - drives this year, but of course far too few.

The athleticism of JS and KS is underappreciated, too. Neither "looks" athletic, probably not bouncy enough and not enough hops, but we can all think of a few amazing[ly athletic] plays by JS; and KS is - surely - one of a very few leading candidates for ACC POY next season. Also preseason All-Am. Yes?

So, halucinating for your and others' benefit, I repeat that, even in so-called "worst-case" scenario - no G/Wall/Bledsoe, and therefore no traditional solution to PG issue - I expect us to be better next season. Preseason top 7.

If G leaves and Wall doesn't come to Duke, Duke will be a solidly good team but not a national title contender. With the system Duke plays that team would just be too flawed to stop long athletic teams in the NCAAs (of which there will always be some). And people talk about Duke being an undersized jump shooting team. Duke just does not shoot it that well. No where near well enough to compensate for their lack of athletiscm and frontcourt production.

gumbomoop
04-09-2009, 02:58 PM
If G leaves and Wall doesn't come to Duke, Duke will be a solidly good team but not a national title contender. With the system Duke plays that team would just be too flawed to stop long athletic teams in the NCAAs (of which there will always be some). And people talk about Duke being an undersized jump shooting team. Duke just does not shoot it that well. No where near well enough to compensate for their lack of athletiscm and frontcourt production.

Still some substantive disagreement here.

(1) Lack of athleticism - if that means 4-5 dribble/drive penetrators, a la 'Nova or recent Memphis teams, I agree with you. But I see Nolan and EWill as very athletic; but, yes, they must become both better ballhandlers and more assertive players. So, if they only improve marginally next year, their very real athleticism won't count for much.

(2) "too flawed to stop long athletic teams" - I doubt there are lots of such teams in any particular year, but, true, all it takes is the one you lose to. I see substantial improvement both offensively and defensively by athletic Nolan and EWill as key next year.

(3) lack of frontcourt production - I harbor optimistic views re the MPs. I think we can expect both offensive and defensive improvement at the 5. Between Singler, Kelly, and the MPs, not to mention spot minutes from Z, I'd be truly surprised if we rely nearly as much on the 3 next year.

(4) "solidly good but not national contender" - My prediction is more than merely solidly good, though certainly not a "lock" for Final 4. It seems reasonable to me to expect improvement from Nolan, EWill, MP1, Z, LT, important contributions from both Kelly and MP2, and utterly sterling play from KS and JS.

(5) I don't have a convincing argument re PG problem. Both JS and Nolan have become combo guards. JS is solid in that capacity, Nolan must improve, become a fine, confident player.

gumbomoop
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd like some feedback on some of my expectations for next season of our top players if we lose G. Statistically:
Singler 19 pts 9 reb
Scheyer 15 pts 3 apg
Smith 11 pts 3 apg
Williams 9 pts 5 reb

Obviously it is highly contingent on if we get a PG and if we get anything from MP2. I think for the most part they are reasonable progressions. You figure Scheyer won't start ACC play shooting 20% again from the field. Then, you look at Kyle who I think is on a mission to show he is the best player in the conference next year. I like Nolan to progress from 5 ppg as a fresh to 8 as a soph to 11 as a junior who will have added responsibilities and move back to a natural position on the wing. Elliot will develop his jump shot and I think he is the biggest wild card of all of them. If he gets a midrange game I could see his sophomore year going very similarly to that of Gerald averaging near 12 a contest.

Thoughts?

Your projections seem reasonable to me. I see real improvement from Nolan and EWill as crucial, whether G departs or not, but obviously much more if he does.

At some level, having a wing with EWill's talent, and a combo guard with Nolan's, each averaging only about 10 would be disappointing. But since I expect points from Kelly and both MPs, and since KS and JS will surely score 15-20 each per game, and since we're not going to be a fast-break team [absent Wall], those 2 aren't going to average 14-15.

Frankly, EWill getting to 10-11 a game depends more on improved free throw shooting than jump shot. He definitely does need to develop a midrange game, but he's an impressive slasher, and such fellows get to the line.... where they must convert at 70%+.

Nolan must become, as I assume he has been and will be encouraged to become, fiercely assertive. He is an effective driver, reverse lay-up-er, tear-drop-er. Do it. No more Mr. Nice Guy for Nolan. If Nolan plays soft, doesn't work. Hard. Relentless. Like his father, and like Johnny Dawkins, actually.

jv001
04-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Your projections seem reasonable to me. I see real improvement from Nolan and EWill as crucial, whether G departs or not, but obviously much more if he does.

At some level, having a wing with EWill's talent, and a combo guard with Nolan's, each averaging only about 10 would be disappointing. But since I expect points from Kelly and both MPs, and since KS and JS will surely score 15-20 each per game, and since we're not going to be a fast-break team [absent Wall], those 2 aren't going to average 14-15.

Frankly, EWill getting to 10-11 a game depends more on improved free throw shooting than jump shot. He definitely does need to develop a midrange game, but he's an impressive slasher, and such fellows get to the line.... where they must convert at 70%+.

Nolan must become, as I assume he has been and will be encouraged to become, fiercely assertive. He is an effective driver, reverse lay-up-er, tear-drop-er. Do it. No more Mr. Nice Guy for Nolan. If Nolan plays soft, doesn't work. Hard. Relentless. Like his father, and like Johnny Dawkins, actually.

I agree that Kyle and Jon will score somewhere around 15-20 pts per game. Going on the premise that Wall does not come to Duke, I would say that improvement in several players must take place for Duke to be top ten nationally. First Elliot needs to get better in shooting the ball from the perimeter in order to be able to drive to the basket. He also needs much work on using his right hand. I think his freethrow shooting will get better. We need improvement and consistency from Nolan. Play without thinking so much. We need Zoubek to improve over the summer as much as he did this year. And we need some production from one or two of these guys; MP1, Mason, Kelly, Lance. Like you have stated, if we don't land Wall I don't see us being a top scoring team next year without some big improvements from some key players. However I think we will get that improvement and be a top ten team. Go Duke!

DUKIECB
04-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I tend to be one of type to totally discredit preseason polls, especially this early. With that being said, the sporting news has unc at #7 and Duke at #9 next year. And that is assuming G stays! Their list looks like this:

1) Syracuse
2) Kansas
3) Michigan State
4) Kentucky
5) USC
6) Xavier
7) unc
8) Texas
9) Duke
10) Purdue

Saratoga2
04-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I agree that Kyle and Jon will score somewhere around 15-20 pts per game. Going on the premise that Wall does not come to Duke, I would say that improvement in several players must take place for Duke to be top ten nationally. First Elliot needs to get better in shooting the ball from the perimeter in order to be able to drive to the basket. He also needs much work on using his right hand. I think his freethrow shooting will get better. We need improvement and consistency from Nolan. Play without thinking so much. We need Zoubek to improve over the summer as much as he did this year. And we need some production from one or two of these guys; MP1, Mason, Kelly, Lance. Like you have stated, if we don't land Wall I don't see us being a top scoring team next year without some big improvements from some key players. However I think we will get that improvement and be a top ten team. Go Duke!

For next season we have elite players in Scheyer and Singler. Henderson would be in the elite category but his draft status remains unknown. Beyond that we could be short at the guard position with Smith and Williams, who both should make substantial improvements in their games. There is a further unknown in the recruiting area with either Wall or Bledsoe being targets. If Henderson goes, one of these two will be essential just from a numbers standpoint.

At the front line positions we have Thomas and Zoubek, but neither is in the elite category and unless Thomas can gain 20 pounds he has little chance of major improvement. From what we saw of Miles Plumlee, he has a lot of potential and may be used a lot next season. Czyz has a long way to go but hass the body and athleticism, so who knows.

Resting our hope on Mason Plumlee as a freshman is a little optimistic. He looks good but should only be expected to contribute in small ways to the team. Kelly looks like a sub for Singler. While Singler may have to fill in at small forward at times.

It doesn't sound like a dominant team, just a nice team like this year.

Best scenario - Wall comes, Henderson stays, EWill improves his offense, Mason Plumlee does better than expected for a freshman and Kelly becomes a solid backup for Singler.

Worst scenario - Neither Wall nor Bledoe comes, Henderson leaves and Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly play like most freshmen.

whereinthehellami
04-10-2009, 09:31 AM
For next season we have elite players in Scheyer and Singler. Henderson would be in the elite category but his draft status remains unknown. Beyond that we could be short at the guard position with Smith and Williams, who both should make substantial improvements in their games. There is a further unknown in the recruiting area with either Wall or Bledsoe being targets. If Henderson goes, one of these two will be essential just from a numbers standpoint.

What is your criteria for an elite player? I think Jon is a very good college player. I don't know if a player who didn't make any of the All-ACC teams or is not likely to be an NBA draft pick is an elite player. Maybe good to very good. And there is nothing wrong with that. Kudos to Jon for all that he has become. But that would leave Duke with one elite player for next year.

roywhite
04-10-2009, 09:39 AM
What is your criteria for an elite player? I think Jon is a very good college player. I don't know if a player who didn't make any of the All-ACC teams or is not likely to be an NBA draft pick is an elite player. Maybe good to very good. And there is nothing wrong with that. Kudos to Jon for all that he has become. But that would leave Duke with one elite player for next year.

Just talking semantics here, but Jon was MVP of the ACC Tournament; his play over the last part of the season (except for the Villanova game, unfortunately) was as good as anyone on our roster.

I consider him to be comparable to Kyle as an all-around threat. Again, might be splitting hairs here, but they both should be excellent next year.

crimsonandblue
04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Im not that familiar with Kansas and I'm not really that impressed, so what am I missing? Collins and Aldrich are really good but what is there after that? They play good D and have some length but I don't think that is enough to be a title contender. I would take UNC over them. UNC has enough to throw at Collins and Aldrich to shut them down, with much more talent to spare.

MSU and KY (with Wall) would be my early favorites. MSU loses Suton and Walton but I think they have some tough, talented frontcourt players that will lessen that blow. And I think Lucas looks special. Throw in the athletic Roe, Morgan, and Summers and they will be a tough matchup.

KY has Meeks, Patterson 6-8, Cousins 6-10, and Orton 6-9. If they add Wall to what is probably the best frontcourt in the country, they are big and athletic. Outside shooting might be a little questionable but I like their athletiscm and frontcourt.

Kansas went 14-2 and won the Big XII and should have beaten Michigan State in the tourney to get to an elite eight. Kansas started two sophomores, two freshmen and a junior. I expect that group to get better and it's looking like KU will lose no one who played any significant minutes <fingers crossed>.

Kansas will also add an athletic combo guard (Elijah Johnson - RSCI 21), an aggressive power forward (Thomas Robinson - RSCI 23), along with picking up Jeff Withey, a 6-11 center, who will be eiligible in December as a transfer from the Arizona mess (2008 RSCI 27).

KU has also apparently jettisoned a couple of kids via transfer to clear cap room for one or more of Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, and Daniel Orton. Assuming Kansas gets one the two wings, we should be able to run out a decent minor league team.

_Gary
04-10-2009, 11:40 AM
KU has also apparently jettisoned a couple of kids via transfer to clear cap room...

Maybe Duke needs to clear "cap room" as well. :D

geraldsneighbor
04-10-2009, 01:17 PM
I tend to be one of type to totally discredit preseason polls, especially this early. With that being said, the sporting news has unc at #7 and Duke at #9 next year. And that is assuming G stays! Their list looks like this:

1) Syracuse
2) Kansas
3) Michigan State
4) Kentucky
5) USC
6) Xavier
7) unc
8) Texas
9) Duke
10) Purdue

Someone is sippin' the UK cool-aid. These rankings make no sense. Xavier loses 2 starters and their coach. Kentucky has Cousins (WOOOO!!!) sarcasm. I don't see really how these rankings were made.

whereinthehellami
04-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Kansas went 14-2 and won the Big XII and should have beaten Michigan State in the tourney to get to an elite eight. Kansas started two sophomores, two freshmen and a junior. I expect that group to get better and it's looking like KU will lose no one who played any significant minutes <fingers crossed>.

Kansas will also add an athletic combo guard (Elijah Johnson - RSCI 21), an aggressive power forward (Thomas Robinson - RSCI 23), along with picking up Jeff Withey, a 6-11 center, who will be eiligible in December as a transfer from the Arizona mess (2008 RSCI 27).

KU has also apparently jettisoned a couple of kids via transfer to clear cap room for one or more of Xavier Henry, Lance Stephenson, and Daniel Orton. Assuming Kansas gets one the two wings, we should be able to run out a decent minor league team.

I think they were just missing a really good wing and it sounds like they are going to get that. So, yeah, I'm starting to see how they could be a title contender. It was definately impressive that they finshed 10th this past season after losing 7 players the year before.

whereinthehellami
04-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe its just the time of year with all the possible NBA defections (despite only 2 rounds in the draft) but it seems that next year is going to be a down year in college basketball.

What teams look like title contenders?

Kansas for sure.
KY? If they can get in touch with some more agents.
UNC? Just from a talent standpoint, especially if they can land Wall.
MSU? They did lose Suton and Walton but have a decent core retuning. I don't think MSU adds any stud recruits tough.
Duke? If they lose Henderson and don't get Wall they will have the same problems next year but worse if Henderson leaves. But if the pieces fall the right way Duke could be there knocking at the door.
Butler? They finshed 20th and didn't lose anyone but do they have title caliber talent?

Who else?

gumbomoop
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Resting our hope on Mason Plumlee as a freshman is a little optimistic. He looks good but should only be expected to contribute in small ways to the team. Kelly looks like a sub for Singler. While Singler may have to fill in at small forward at times.

It doesn't sound like a dominant team, just a nice team like this year.

I'm sticking with worst-case scenario, i.e., no G/Wall/Bledsoe. In that case, definitely not a dominant team. But looking to next year, it's not at all obvious that there are any dominant teams on paper. Throughout this season, in contrast, there seemed to have been 3 likely dominant teams: UNC, UConn, maybe Pitt. UL was too inconsistent, Okla not deep enough, Mich St a late arrival. Next season, there's no obvious "wow" team, though it seems to me that Kansas, and only Kansas, could be, and should be #1 preseason in most lists.

I think Duke can be more than "nice." I don't "rest my hope" on MP2, but I do expect substantial contributions from both MPs. I think Singler is the conf POY next year, an absolutely superb player. I don't know that Scheyer can play much better than this year, but if he improves his scoring just a bit, he's a very, very valuable player, much more than "nice."

Speaking of which, Nolan cannot remain "nice," even literally, if Duke is to be more than "nice." He has talent, but potential won't suffice next year. He and EWill have to be confident, aggressive players at both ends of the court.

DDB4208
04-10-2009, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4058254

Rudy
04-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Absurd ratings this early, but SI added this unintentional laugh while rating Duke #6 (assuming Henderson is gone):

"Sophomore Elliot Williams should flourish in his first full season at the point."

Maybe they have some inside info. :rolleyes:

CardinalBlue
04-10-2009, 07:52 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=4055707