PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to UNC's National Championship

BlueintheFace
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
In the words of a mediocre beer commercial, "You want to vent, let's vent!"

How do you feel right now in five words or less. I will start it off.

--- Baseball-Bat Stomach Vomit Darkness

moonpie23
04-06-2009, 11:47 PM
In the words of a mediocre beer commercial, "You want to vent, let's vent!"

How do you feel right now in five words or less. I will start it off.

--- Baseball-Bat Stomach Vomit Darkness

hopefull for duke in 09-10

dukeballer2294
04-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Tyler Hansbrough is finally gone

geraldsneighbor
04-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Beaker looks worse in hat.

gmorris22
Sick sick sick sick sick

eddiehaskell
I wanna die right now.

diveonthefloor
04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Carolina? Who gives a #%&!

sweetchiba51
04-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Happy I live in Spokane

ajtrublu
Go to hell Carolina, gotohell (had to consolidate to make it 5 words).

FerryFor50
God I need a shower.

RelativeWays
04-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I'll do better

it is over now
Green, Ty and beaker are gone
Thank God, good riddance.

DukeFanInTerpLand
I want bourbon, whiskey, beer

Dr. Tina
Sick to my stomach!

sleepybear
04-06-2009, 11:53 PM
I puked up my taco

Dr. Tina
God I need a shower.

You feel dirty, too? I'm glad I'm not the only one.

geraldsneighbor
I'll do better

it is over now
Green, Ty and beaker are gone
Thank God, good riddance.

Also, bye Wayne, bye Ed, and maybe Deon. Take it easy guys.

Coballs
I'm too old for this

91devil
04-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Nice (sarcasm) effort, Michigan State Spartans.

sivartrenrag
04-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Hanstravel is gone,
even though they won the game,
for this I am glad.

fan345678
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
how about a haiku:

Coach K's dilemma:
watch ol' Roy stockpile talent,
or US win bronze?

LaettnerWannabe
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Work should be FUN tomorrow:mad:

or Must avoid WRAL lovefest tomorrow

RelativeWays
04-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey Tyler Hansbrough
Now time to get dunked on by
Dwight Howard, then ride pine

CameronBornAndBred
I am not happily camping.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
Recruiting just got much harder.

TaiAdmiral
04-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Tarheel janitors skipping work tomorrow. :[

LaettnerWannabe
04-07-2009, 12:02 AM
"One Shining Moment" ruined forever

Dr. Tina
04-07-2009, 12:04 AM
"One Shining Moment" ruined forever

I know! I love that song and now it'll give me a sick feeling until we win the NC again.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Congratulations to Carolina, I'm glad a team from the ACC and especially the state of North Carolina won.

Duvall
04-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Recruiting just got much harder.

Not really. It's not like they were struggling before.

CameronCrazy'11
04-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Congratulations to Carolina, I'm glad a team from the ACC and especially the state of North Carolina won.

About to barf a little.

Glad they're all going pro.

We'll be better next year.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2009, 12:10 AM

That is pretty much the only real benefit. 4 titles this decade for ACC.

I'm going to Add

-- dreading Roy lovefest indefinite future--

ice-9
04-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Good: UNC earned their championship.

Hansbrough, Lawson and Ellington are players I would've loved to see in a Duke jersey. They (or Hansbrough, at least) came back to win a championship and now they've done it. They were the best team at the start of the season, and they are the best team at the end of it. If there's any way a Duke fan can stomach a UNC championship, this has to be it.

WiJoe
04-07-2009, 12:12 AM
t h e

b i g

t e n

s u c k s.

S U C K S ! ! ! !

MAG0297
04-07-2009, 12:13 AM
Tyler Hansbrough is finally gone

this sums it all up!!

MAG0297
04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
hope john wall wasn't watching

godukecom
04-07-2009, 12:15 AM
baby blue tar holes
playing with their new trophy
where is the justice?

roy looks very dumb
i hate unc a lot
when will duke be back?

We should turn the board black like in 2005

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH HHH

NashvilleDevil
04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Did not watch one minute.

Lawbear
04-07-2009, 12:18 AM
...they earned it. Now let's look ahead to another season and another ACC championship.

moonpie23
04-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Did not watch one minute.

i turned it off when it was about 17-7.....

buzz
04-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Darkness falls upon the land...

Duke1986
04-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Practice starts in 191 days -- Next Play!

DukeCO2009
04-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I apologize for deviating from the five word criteria, but I would like to submit to DBR's review my thoughts on tonight's game in the form of a ten related haiku collectively titled "Go to Hell, Carolina". The poem goes as follows:

Go to hell, Caro-
lina. Go to hell. Go To
hell, Carolina.

Go to hell. Go to
hell, Carolina. Go to
hell. Go to hell, Car-

olina. Go to
hell. Go to hell, Carolin-
a. Go to hell. Go

to hell, Carolin-
a. Go to hell. Go to hell,
Carolina. Go

to hell. Go to hell,
Carolina. Go to hell.
Go to hell, Caro-

lina. Go to hell.
Go to hell, Carolina.
Go to hell. Go to

hell, Carolina.
Go to hell. Go to hell, Car-
olina. Go to

hell. Go to hell, Car-
olina. Go to hell. Go
to hell, Carolin-

a. Go to hell. Go
to hell, Carolina. Go
to hell. Go to hell,

Carolina. Go
to hell. Go to hell, Caro-
lina. Go to hell.

crimsonandblue
04-07-2009, 12:24 AM
http://images.cafepress.com/image/16036640_400x400.jpg

missfinch
04-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Did they do something tonight?

eddiehaskell
And some of you pulled against UConn. You people need your brains examined.

pacificrounder
Today, UNC won a national championship. FML

devildownunder
04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
This season ended Saturday night.

Duvall
04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
And some of you pulled against UConn. You people need your brains examined.

Let us be clear. UConn would have gotten smashed tonight. They just weren't that good.

Sgt. Dingleberry
04-07-2009, 12:31 AM
My only consolations...

1.I work at a place in downtown Chapel Hill and I am sure they are cleaning up...
2.As I look out my window in downtown Carrboro, the tow trucks are doing laps towing Hole fans' cars...The count is up to about 20 so far...

moonpie23
04-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Uconn would have suffered the same fate tonight....UNC was clearly the best team in the whole tournament and DOMINATED.

let's just own up to it...

zingit
04-07-2009, 12:33 AM
2.As I look out my window in downtown Carrboro, the tow trucks are doing laps towing Hole fans' cars...The count is up to about 20 so far...

LOL. Thank you for my one laugh tonight.

eddiehaskell
04-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Let us be clear. UConn would have gotten smashed tonight. They just weren't that good.Who cares....they would've matched up better than MSU (a team UNC has now crushed 2x).

Coballs
04-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Who cares....they would've matched up better than MSU (a team UNC has now crushed 2x).

I agree. It would have been a much better and more interesting matchup.

DukeWarhead
04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Come back Kris Lang, come back.

(Ok, that's six words. sorry.)

tysi1521
04-07-2009, 12:40 AM
NC WILL SUCK NEXT YEAR!

Yeah, they won, but in all honesty we knew it was gonna happen as soon as the 1 seeds started dropping. Nobody could keep up with NC offensively this year and Michigan State really had no chance. Thank God the worst is now over. Well, after tomorrow it will be.

Coballs
04-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Come back Kris Lang, come back.

(Ok, that's six words. sorry.)

Try this:

Come back KLang, come back

Chicago 1995
04-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Like we're falling further behind ...

Duvall
04-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Like I'm going to set fire to the Internet if Duke fans end up twice as neurotic as we've been since 2005.

dukieinaz
04-07-2009, 12:54 AM
http://images.clipartof.com/thumbnails/19571-Royalty-Free-Clipart-Illustration-Of-Grossed-Out-Emoticon-Smiley-Face-Puking-Green-Vomit.jpg

devildownunder
04-07-2009, 12:56 AM
I agree. It would have been a much better and more interesting matchup.

Basically, you're saying I should cheer for a team I hate so that they might possibly stop the team I hate more. Not gonna happen. If I really felt like uconn would, for sure, beat unc, maybe I would've done it. But I'd have to hold my nose and swallow a uconn championship, so for me to cheer for them under any circumstances, I'd have to be extremely certain that there would be something in it for me. In this case, I didn't think the odds were very good that they'd beat carolina so there was no real benefit that i could so to sitting through a unc/uconn final.

BlueintheFace
Like I'm going to set fire to the Internet if Duke fans end up twice as neurotic as we've been since 2005.

You can DOOO that???? What are you still doing here friend? Make your way over to IC, ESPN, cbssportsline, and the like. You have work to do. Burn Baby Burn.

eddiehaskell
Like we're falling further behind ...Remember what happened last time the 'holes had a 2 NC lead....Duke went back-to-back.

For the last 30 years or so, it seems like there has been an ebb and flow...

early '80s - UNC > Duke
mid '80s-early '90s - Duke > UNC
mid '90s - UNC > Duke
late '90s- early '00s - Duke > UNC
mid-late '00s - UNC > Duke

I think Duke is due for a run. :D

missfinch
04-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Seriously, I'm just going to have to avoid all media for a while (save the friendly confines of DBR) and keep trying to convince my 8-year-old (and myself) it's not that big a deal.

brevity
04-07-2009, 01:12 AM
Hey, look! It's baseball season.

-bdbd
04-07-2009, 01:31 AM
Remember what happened last time the 'holes had a 2 NC lead....Duke went back-to-back.

For the last 30 years or so, it seems like there has been an ebb and flow...

early '80s - UNC > Duke
mid '80s-early '90s - Duke > UNC
mid '90s - UNC > Duke
late '90s- early '00s - Duke > UNC
mid-late '00s - UNC > Duke

I think Duke is due for a run. :D

That tide, she be a-changin' direction something fierce pretty soon...

Congrats to Kerlina for representing the ACC so well this year -- save for UNC and Duke, a really horrible NCAAT for the ACC.

But as you fellow-Dukies unlucky enough to be basaed in NC will have to deal with some unbearable haughty behavior over the coming weeks - and that's just from the NC media(!) - just wait till you see how oboxious some of the fans will get...... KEEP THIS IN MIND (FEEL FREE TO USE IN RESPONSE TO THE TAUNTING UNDOUBTABLY COMING SOON): UNC-ch will be waaaay down next year with inexperienced underclassmen taking the bulk of the minutes at multiple positions. I don't see them preseason being ranked anywhere better than third in the ACC, maybe 4th (unless you account for the ACC media bias their way). SO, we should be EAGERLY awaiting the 09-10 campaign. It's really gonna be fun!!!!! :eek:

-BDBD

Duvall
04-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I don't see them preseason being ranked anywhere better than third in the ACC, maybe 4th (unless you account for the ACC media bias their way).

Behind who? The ACC will be absurdly weak next year.

godukecom
04-07-2009, 01:44 AM
this one is going to hurt for a very long time

brevity
04-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Someone had to start it.

The one silver lining of another Carolina championship is the backlash the program will start to receive in select circles. I think it's time Duke fans were more active in this venture, making the backlash more widespread. For too long we've punished ourselves with the Sisyphean task of trying to promote Duke to people who will never, ever like the team. Massive waste of time. I suggest a different approach.

I am totally fine with all the hate that is steered Duke's way. It may be wrongheaded, pathetic, and at times unfair, but I get it. I accept it. What I don't understand is how UNC doesn't generate the same amount of hate. There's a lot of material: The ugly shade of blue. The argyle design. The indiscriminate banner hanging. The inability to let go of Dean Smith. The wine and cheese crowd. The coach who desperately needs to be liked by everybody.

If you believe ESPN, Major League Baseball consists of the Yankees, the Red Sox, and everyone else. That third group is 28 teams, and their legions of fans, forming a silent majority that is both anti-Yankees and anti-Red Sox. If that majority were to suddenly mobilize, unite, and conspire, the two teams in the spotlight wouldn't stand a chance. And frankly, baseball would be better for it.

I'm recommending something similar. If you come across, say, a Wisconsin fan that hates Duke but is somehow okay with Carolina, explain to that person that such an attitude is unacceptable, and explain why. It is NOT okay for third parties to give UNC a free pass. Hate us? Fine. But hate both of us.

It's often mentioned on these boards that despite the intense rivalry between Duke and UNC, the programs are similar in many ways. Both strive for excellence, keep their noses clean, and go after the same elite players. That's nice. But it's a complete sham to paint one as the imperialistic villain and the other as a benevolent dictator. If we're going down, we're taking them with us.

The UNC hatred tsunami has begun. It's a public relations war, so share your ammunition here. Play nice, but fire away.

devildownunder
04-07-2009, 01:50 AM
be great if we could pull it off. It certainly has worked for them against us.

Rogue
04-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Basketball still ?? It's MASTERS WEEK:D

-bdbd
04-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Congratulations to our ACC bretheren from 7 miles down the road. That was truly a incredibly talented team - obviously the most talented in the country for this past season - which wasn't seriously challenged in the whole NCAAT (as a pure b-ball fan, 'would have loved to see them challenged by maybe Pitt and a UCONN in the Final-4). The early-season prognosticators - not just those based in the NC media - were proven right in widely expecting them to win the tournament. No doubt about who had the best squad this past year.

Us Dukies are VERY eagerly anticipating what will come to pass in the coming 09-10 season, so please be careful about any gloating/haughty behavior... Should be a lot of fun next season. But for now please enjoy your night. That was truly a great team we saw in the (NCAA) tournament and for most of the regular season.

Congratulations!

-BDBD :D

Rogue
04-07-2009, 01:54 AM
I feel U CONN might feel the media wrath more than any fan backlash after this year.. we just need to continue to destroy he myth of "Ole Roy"

Laettner92
04-07-2009, 01:56 AM
I accept the challenge.I live in Georgia and the tsunami will begin !!

eddiehaskell
04-07-2009, 02:02 AM
Michael Jordan...

If we could somehow tie Jordan to a secret relationship with Michael Jackson or something, maybe we could disrupt the love fest.

It's almost blasphemy for most basketball fans to hate something tied to the great one.

Greg_Newton
04-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Well for starters, how about how they destroyed the great city of Detroit, singlehandedly ruined the domestic auto industry, and hate America?

Those are FACTS.

Also, did anyone catch the post-game press conference clip where Hansbrough said "As far as coming back, it sounds like I made a pretty good decision"? I get what he was trying to do, but his strange wording and body language made him look pretty awkward and cocky. Sassy, almost.

In all seriousness though, it's hard for me to hate too much on this particular UNC team. They didn't play dirty or flashy or talk junk and they generally did things the right way. They were just really good. However, that combination seemed to be what always drove people crazy about dominant Duke teams, so hopefully it will inspire a nation of haters.

Kewlswim
04-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Uconn would have suffered the same fate tonight....UNC was clearly the best team in the whole tournament and DOMINATED.

let's just own up to it...

Hi,

Duke won the ACC Tournament and in years gone by Carolina wouldn't have even been able to go to the NCAA Tournament only the ACC Tournament Champion was allowed entry. :D

GO DUKE!

diesel
04-07-2009, 02:55 AM
Surprising! Not even ACC Champs!

CardinalBlue
04-07-2009, 03:38 AM
ACC POY: (Probably G)
NPOY candidate: (G)
2 1st Team All-ACC: (G, Singler)
2 2nd-3rd Team All-ACC: (E-Mail, Nolan, Scheyer)

1 Great Big Man: (Singler)
A few Deon Thompson/Ed Davis/Zeller level big man: (Thomas/MP1/MP2/Kelly/Zoubek)
Unbelievable Guards

I have to hope that G wants to come back and match Wayne.

Note: this situation doesn't concern Wall at all. I feel like its much more likely to see G returning than wall coming.

ItalianDevil
04-07-2009, 04:03 AM
UNC deserved to win. They play their best bball in the Tournament. Hopefully Ellington and Lawson will join HansTravel in the league and we'll have the last laugh next year. Having seen Drew 3rd playing I can tell you they will implode last year, mid ACC at best. That said.... John Wall come to Duke !!!!!!

GTHC, GTH

P.S: after all....maybe.... Zoub can play against Zeller....maybe...who knows.... wake up Zoub...damnit....

TwoDukeTattoos
04-07-2009, 05:51 AM
I always said that Ol Roy combined with the UNC brand would be a lethal combination. Unfortunately, that is now coming to pass. And to make things worse, in the immediate future at least, G appears gone, UNC is competing with us for Wall, and their overall roster next year could be, yet again, more successful than ours.

I love the moves and changes that K apparently seems to be making, but I wish Duke would hurry up! :)

slower
04-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Michael Jordan...

If we could somehow tie Jordan to a secret relationship with Michael Jackson or something, maybe we could disrupt the love fest.

It's almost blasphemy for most basketball fans to hate something tied to the great one.

Jordan is an adulterer with a gambling problem and a megalomaniac who is horrible at his current job. Perhaps the most overrated human being (from the world of sports, at least) of the past 25 years. Unfortunately, people like winners (because most people are sheep) and he's probably golden forever.

dukelifer
04-07-2009, 07:09 AM
You hate it when your rivals win- but at the same time it has to fuel the rivalry. Duke needs to make the right adjustments if they want to compete with the Heels. It wasn't that long ago when a younger K was pushing an older Smith. Smith adjusted.

As for Roy- the monkey is now completely off his back. He won one with his own guys. Does he continue to press on or has it taken a toll? Does he look for new challenges or is Roy set to create a dynasty? Does UNC start to become the new hated team in America - particularly when their stars no longer dominate at the next level? Only time will tell.

Personally, I think UNC will become the media darlings that Duke once was and perhaps will take with them a lot of the National hate.

beach rev
04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Yoda says: "Sucks, Carolina does.'

flyingdutchdevil
04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
You hate it when your rivals win- but at the same time it has to fuel the rivalry. Duke needs to make the right adjustments if they want to compete with the Heels. It wasn't that long ago when a younger K was pushing an older Smith. Smith adjusted.

As for Roy- the monkey is now completely off his back. He won one with his own guys. Does he continue to press on or has it taken a toll? Does he look for new challenges or is Roy set to create a dynasty? Does UNC start to become the new hated team in America - particularly when their stars no longer dominate at the next level? Only time will tell.

Personally, I think UNC will become the media darlings that Duke once was and perhaps will take with them a lot of the National hate.

IMO, Roy has already created a dynasty. 2 titles in 5 years - that's impressive. I hate the Heels, but they have surpassed the Blue Devils as the leader of the pack in the ACC (and most likely nationally) with this win. I hate to admit it, but I think that's true.

I don't think the national world will hate the Heels like they hate us - everyone likes "non-elitist" public schools.

Unfortunately, it is going to be so difficult to create comebacks for my Heel friends. There is nothing I can say to insult them now...

For the record, I hate Lawson. Why didn't you go pro last year? Dammit...

dukestheheat
04-07-2009, 07:39 AM
today's a good day for a haiku:

Recruiting is key
for K to gain on Ole Roy
in battle of Blues

dth.

weezie
04-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Batter up!

dukestheheat
04-07-2009, 07:46 AM

...is settling in at Carolina for a very long run. I don't think he's even close to retiring or wanting to retire.

I agree that the momentum has shifted back to Carolina, from Duke, in terms of prowess locally and nationally, even though Mike has three at Duke and Deputy has two at Carolina.

This lights a fire under our butts, guaranteed. I'm really interested to see how this will impact K.

dth.

RelativeWays
04-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Lets not assume that just because UNC could lose 5+ players to the draft this year doesn't mean we'll dominate them next season. Thats what everyone thought in the 05-06 season and that lead to one of the most depressing senior games I've ever seen.

VaDukie
04-07-2009, 08:04 AM
Their recent run makes our March drought all the more painful. I can't help but look back at 99, 02, 04, and 06 and think what might have been. I'll never stop cheering for our guys and being proud of them but I really want to see us in the final weekend again. Here's to hoping we can make it happen next year.

YmoBeThere
04-07-2009, 08:06 AM
I love the moves and changes that K apparently seems to be making, but I wish Duke would hurry up! :)

I'm curious what do you mean by "changes"?

flyingdutchdevil
04-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Lets not assume that just because UNC could lose 5+ players to the draft this year doesn't mean we'll dominate them next season. Thats what everyone thought in the 05-06 season and that lead to one of the most depressing senior games I've ever seen.

Agreed. Is there a better recruiter in college basketball than ol' Roy?

At least one things for certain though - unless Lawson comes back, UNC ain't winning another title next year!

YmoBeThere
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Agreed. Is there a better recruiter in college basketball than ol' Roy?

At least one things for certain though - unless Lawson comes back, UNC ain't winning another title next year!

I hate them as much as anyone, but I'm not sure how you can say this is a certainty...

flyingdutchdevil
04-07-2009, 08:15 AM
I hate them as much as anyone, but I'm not sure how you can say this is a certainty...

If UNC wins next year, I'll concede that they're the greatest CBK team in the modern era. And no, I don't think that right now...

dukelifer
04-07-2009, 08:28 AM
I don't think the national world will hate the Heels like they hate us - everyone likes "non-elitist" public schools.

Really? Even all the other non-elitist public schools? Duke was over-exposed in the late eighties and early nineties - that helped to spur on the hate. UNC will be getting that exposure in big doses now. We shall see how it plays out.

BlueDevilBaby
04-07-2009, 08:39 AM
If I ignore it, will it go away?

Where's that puking emoticon when I need it?

rotogod00
04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
"Agreed. Is there a better recruiter in college basketball than ol' Roy?"

indeed. but also, kids just want to go to carolina. just like they want to go to usc in football. whether it's the atmosphere, the history, the coach, whatever. it's just the place to be.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I apologize for deviating from the five word criteria, but I would like to submit to DBR's review my thoughts on tonight's game in the form of a ten related haiku collectively titled "Go to Hell, Carolina". The poem goes as follows:

Go to hell, Caro-
lina. Go to hell. Go To
hell, Carolina.

Go to hell. Go to
hell, Carolina. Go to
hell. Go to hell, Car-

olina. Go to
hell. Go to hell, Carolin-
a. Go to hell. Go

to hell, Carolin-
a. Go to hell. Go to hell,
Carolina. Go

to hell. Go to hell,
Carolina. Go to hell.
Go to hell, Caro-

lina. Go to hell.
Go to hell, Carolina.
Go to hell. Go to

hell, Carolina.
Go to hell. Go to hell, Car-
olina. Go to

hell. Go to hell, Car-
olina. Go to hell. Go
to hell, Carolin-

a. Go to hell. Go
to hell, Carolina. Go
to hell. Go to hell,

Carolina. Go
to hell. Go to hell, Caro-
lina. Go to hell.

Yoda says: "Sucks, Carolina does.'

Well said, both of you!

As I said on Facebook:
"Grrr. Congratulations carolina. Now, Go To Hell!" :cool::D

godukecom
04-07-2009, 08:57 AM
2 things:

1. Last year, there was a question posed: which would you rather have, hansbrough break JJ's record or win a national title? ugggggg.... he got both

2. Again, to those who said it would be fun for unc to be back to national prominence as our rival, anyone having fun today?

DUKIE V(A)
04-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Hope our players stay too!

UrinalCake
04-07-2009, 09:25 AM
As much as I hate them and wanted them to lose, I will give props for what they did this year. They had significant injuries to Hans, Zeller, and Ginyard. They had a strong potential for chemistry issues after several players declared and then came back. They had Hans and all his records and didn't let it become a distraction. The played the national championship game in their opponent's back yard. And then they dominated the final game like no team I've ever seen.

I also wish the media would hold off for a couple days before asking the players whether they're planning to leave for the NBA. Let the team and their fans enjoy it for a little bit before bringing that up. Besides, anything they say right now is meaningless. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for any silver lining I can find and knowing that some of their guys are leaving early would make me feel just a little better, but as a college basketball fan I can say that if it was Duke in their position I'd want to enjoy the moment before worrying about next year.

Billy Dat
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Please leave Wayne, Ed, Deon. (5 words)
Join Tyler, Danny, Bobby, Ty. (5 more for good measure)

Chard
04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
2. Again, to those who said it would be fun for unc to be back to national prominence as our rival, anyone having fun today?

Yeah, I think they are hiding in shame or should be.

As far as a comeback for your tarhole tormentors today you might have to go outside of the rivalry and say something like "maybe one day UNC will be as great as Kentucky/UCLA." Ugh, that's weak.

Saratoga2
04-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Roy has recruiteed well and also has held onto key players. They went into the tournament as the most talented team and their scoring ability made them 10 points better than anyone they would go up against.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UNC continue to have excellent recruiting, especially being national champion. They also have a stong core to build on so should be one of the stronger teams in the ACC again next year.

Duke has not been getting the key inside players they need the last few years and has also hasn't got the key point guard position filled. We too will be a strong contender next year and I for one hope we can fill the point guard position and that our new bigs play at a high level. Gerald coming back would also be a plus.

rotogod00
04-07-2009, 09:37 AM
"Duke has not been getting the key inside players they need the last few years and has also hasn't got the key point guard position filled."

not that this is a revelation to anyone, but this is indeed the problem

flyingdutchdevil
04-07-2009, 09:38 AM
As much as I hate them and wanted them to lose, I will give props for what they did this year. They had significant injuries to Hans, Zeller, and Ginyard. They had a strong potential for chemistry issues after several players declared and then came back. They had Hans and all his records and didn't let it become a distraction. The played the national championship game in their opponent's back yard. And then they dominated the final game like no team I've ever seen.

I also wish the media would hold off for a couple days before asking the players whether they're planning to leave for the NBA. Let the team and their fans enjoy it for a little bit before bringing that up. Besides, anything they say right now is meaningless. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking for any silver lining I can find and knowing that some of their guys are leaving early would make me feel just a little better, but as a college basketball fan I can say that if it was Duke in their position I'd want to enjoy the moment before worrying about next year.

The Duke / UNC is based on mutual hatred and respect. Of course I give them credit - they were an unbelievable team this year. Of course they deserved to win. That doesn't mean we have to like it. I still wanted them to lose by 20 points.

The hatred / respect combo is a weird one, but I feel that myself and my ex-classmates have that feeling.

Anyway, here's to a potentially exciting off-season where at least 3 of the 4 happen:

1) G stays (for selfish reasons ;))
2) We get Wall
3) We get Barnes
4) We get an absolutely dominating inside force who scouts refer to as "the Next Hansbrough". I hate Hanstravel, but by God I respect his game

devildownunder
04-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Jordan is an adulterer with a gambling problem and a megalomaniac who is horrible at his current job. Perhaps the most overrated human being (from the world of sports, at least) of the past 25 years. Unfortunately, people like winners (because most people are sheep) and he's probably golden forever.

Well, he has cheated on his wife. I don't know what the full history is, so I won't comment on that. To say he has a "gambling problem," however, assumes a lot. Is there any evidence that his gambling has ever caused him any personal or professional strife? He bets large sums but as a percentage of what he has that can still be a pittance.

Bostondevil
04-07-2009, 10:06 AM
How 'bout them Red Sox!!!!!!

(UNC is an elitist school.)

slower
04-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Well, he has cheated on his wife. I don't know what the full history is, so I won't comment on that. To say he has a "gambling problem," however, assumes a lot. Is there any evidence that his gambling has ever caused him any personal or professional strife? He bets large sums but as a percentage of what he has that can still be a pittance.

you are missing the larger point here.

dukelifer
04-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I think they are hiding in shame or should be.

As far as a comeback for your tarhole tormentors today you might have to go outside of the rivalry and say something like "maybe one day UNC will be as great as Kentucky/UCLA." Ugh, that's weak.

Here is how you torment your tar heel friends. Tell them congrats and that this win clearly shows that Roy is a much better coach than Dean Smith ever was- 2 in four years vs 2 in 10 and that Roy could win them convincingly rather than having them handed to them by huge mental mistakes by the opposing team. This will get them to defend Dean passionately. Of course you remind them of the time that Roy beat UNC in the Final Four which would have given Dean a shot at his second championship because they were going to play Duke a team that they had beat by 20 points just a few weeks earlier. This will get them to think about all the teams that Dean had with infinitely better talent than the current UNC teams and did not claim the big prize. You can end by telling them that it is okay- at least Dean knew the value of the ACC championship- which will get them to think about Duke and all the ACC championships they have claimed over the past decade- including this year.

cspan37421
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
IIRC the ACC was rated by Sagarin, pre-tournament, as the 2nd best conference in the country. Then, a few rounds in, the ACC was declared to be highly overrated, and the Big East was the end-all and be-all.

After the title game, which went to an ACC team and which did not feature a Big East team, is it safe to say that the talking heads tend to overreact based on limited data?

Another point: although I'd have preferred MSU to win (despite their physical style, which I don't like, but I recall hearing K is a friend of Izzo's, and I first watched the tournament when I lived in MI in 1979!), I vastly prefer Roy getting his 2nd than a guy like Jim Calhoun getting his third.

With Coach K having 100% of his focus to Duke Basketball - and recruiting - I like his chances of getting his 4th NC, or more, leaving his mentor behind and putting some distance between himself and the twofers: Roy, Billy, and Laptop Jim. (and whoever else might have 2)

Sure, it's wishful thinking - but I don't think you can ever count out Coach K. He's going to make a stretch run in his coaching career that is going to turn heads.

RockyMtDevil
04-07-2009, 11:09 AM
I think we really just need to tip our hats to an extremely impressive UNC team. I don't like them, never will. Roy gets under my skin, but he coached a heck of a team this year. They were just to, to good and frankly they were a joy to watch if you are a student of the game...They made it look easy.

dukelifer
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I think we really just need to tip our hats to an extremely impressive UNC team. I don't like them, never will. Roy gets under my skin, but he coached a heck of a team this year. They were just to, to good and frankly they were a joy to watch if you are a student of the game...They made it look easy.
Not sure I would go as far as saying they were a "joy" to watch;) - but they did steamroll through a tough tourney and for that they deserve some respect. Roy did get his guys to commit a bit more on D at the end. One thing I should say is that for all those folks who say you cannot win by playing only 7 or 8 guys- look at this year's UNC team. They really only got significant contributions from 6 players and 2 more gave minutes but not much else.

vabluedevil
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
that they didn't have the perfect season that many were predicting....

Talk about a nightmare!

A-Tex Devil
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Toros starting forward, Tyler Hansborough!!

Looking forward to seeing you play in person under Quinn's tutelage next year, TH! ;):p

dukie8
04-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Not sure I would go as far as saying they were a "joy" to watch;) - but they did steamroll through a tough tourney and for that they deserve some respect. Roy did get his guys to commit a bit more on D at the end. One thing I should say is that for all those folks who say you cannot win by playing only 7 or 8 guys- look at this year's UNC team. They really only got significant contributions from 6 players and 2 more gave minutes but not much else.

Huh? Davis was huge off the bench as the big man sub and Frasor was huge off the bench in the backcourt. He was all over the place against Villanova with 7 rebounds. It was a solid 7-man rotation with Zeller and Drew sprinkled in. Davis probably would have started for every other team in the country and Frasor was a senior who started as a frosh. Those were 2 great subs to rely on as UNC hardly used a 6-man rotation.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Toros starting forward, Tyler Hansborough!!

Looking forward to seeing you play in person under Quinn's tutelage next year, TH! ;):p

I hope Demarcus never passes him the ball.

CameronBlue
04-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Hmm, tasty! (http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25299505-3102,00.html)

(Would that a goat be a sheep)

RelativeWays
04-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Anyway, here's to a potentially exciting off-season where at least 3 of the 4 happen:

1) G stays (for selfish reasons ;))
2) We get Wall
3) We get Barnes
4) We get an absolutely dominating inside force who scouts refer to as "the Next Hansbrough". I hate Hanstravel, but by God I respect his game

Well, the Huckster plans on trying to take 2 and 3 from us so lets see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wall play for UNC. Roy needs that type of PG effectively so it wouldn't surprise me to see him mortage the farm getting him. We supposedly have the inside track on Harrison but a fresh new NC could change that, Roy is going to try to sell him on winning an NC in the 2-3 years he's at college. If both teams' recruits pan out as good as expected (which would be nice for a change) he could do that at either. Losing Wall is one thing, Losing Barnes, when we supposedly have the inside track would suck big time.

Chard
04-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Here is how you torment your tar heel friends. Tell them congrats and that this win clearly shows that Roy is a much better coach than Dean Smith ever was- 2 in four years vs 2 in 10 and that Roy could win them convincingly rather than having them handed to them by huge mental mistakes by the opposing team. This will get them to defend Dean passionately. Of course you remind them of the time that Roy beat UNC in the Final Four which would have given Dean a shot at his second championship because they were going to play Duke a team that they had beat by 20 points just a few weeks earlier. This will get them to think about all the teams that Dean had with infinitely better talent than the current UNC teams and did not claim the big prize. You can end by telling them that it is okay- at least Dean knew the value of the ACC championship- which will get them to think about Duke and all the ACC championships they have claimed over the past decade- including this year.

Mu-ha-ha-ha. I like the way you think. Well played.

rippy74
04-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Wow, that is so weak.

dukelifer
04-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Huh? Davis was huge off the bench as the big man sub and Frasor was huge off the bench in the backcourt. He was all over the place against Villanova with 7 rebounds. It was a solid 7-man rotation with Zeller and Drew sprinkled in. Davis probably would have started for every other team in the country and Frasor was a senior who started as a frosh. Those were 2 great subs to rely on as UNC hardly used a 6-man rotation.
I thought I had said 7-8 men- 6 solid. Still in the scheme of things, UNC did not play 9-10 guys to win this championship. Duke on the other hand was routinely getting 9 involved this year in significant ways.

dukelifer
04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Here is how you torment your tar heel friends. Tell them congrats and that this win clearly shows that Roy is a much better coach than Dean Smith ever was- 2 in four years vs 2 in 10 and that Roy could win them convincingly rather than having them handed to them by huge mental mistakes by the opposing team. This will get them to defend Dean passionately. Of course you remind them of the time that Roy beat UNC in the Final Four which would have given Dean a shot at his second championship because they were going to play Duke a team that they had beat by 20 points just a few weeks earlier. This will get them to think about all the teams that Dean had with infinitely better talent than the current UNC teams and did not claim the big prize. You can end by telling them that it is okay- at least Dean knew the value of the ACC championship- which will get them to think about Duke and all the ACC championships they have claimed over the past decade- including this year.[/QUO

Wow, that is so weak.
Clearly you do not know your Tar Heel history.

rippy74
04-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Clearly you do not know your Tar Heel history.

I went there. You all make it sound as if Coach K won it every time Duke was supposed to. I don't fault Coach K for it. I think people with any perspective understand that there is more to it than just having a great coach and great players.

BlueintheFace
04-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Wow, that is so weak.

Weak? Actually it is pretty complex, logical and all together impressive. It plays on the conflicting emotions and/or criticisms of tarheel fans.

I'm not saying I would do it, but it certainly isn't weak.

To use your brilliant mode of analysis.... maybe you are weak ;)

rippy74
04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Weak? Actually it is pretty complex, logical and all together impressive. It plays on the conflicting emotions and/or criticisms of tarheel fans.

I'm not saying I would do it, but it certainly isn't weak.

To use your brilliant mode of analysis.... maybe you are weak ;)

Yeah, I'm weak. You know what is weak? A team loaded with high school all americans losing to a team with none in the first round of the tournament.

-bdbd
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Behind who? The ACC will be absurdly weak next year.

Assuming no surprising departures from Duke or Wake, I would expect them to be 1 - 2 in ACC preseason expectations. Clemson could sneak in at #3, and Miami, FSU and MD will be very competitive) and UNC will have no more than 2 (and maybe just one) starter back. Add in their scary-bad PG situation and you have a recipe for a lot of comeuppance heading their way from the rest of the conference. THAT is what I hang my hat on to any taunting/gloating Kerlina fans. (BB Fans as a group are a forward-looking sort. So this obvious truism will stick in their craw, a lot.) That and the fact that Duke, and not Kerlina, won the ACC championship this past year.

Go ahead, try to project a starting UNC lineup for their next game, given all of the likely departures. And then look at how much playing time those "starters" got this past year.

I'm tellin' ya, 09 - 10 is gonna be fun!!

-BDBD :D

moonpie23
04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
webber state?

BlueintheFace
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, I'm weak. You know what is weak? A team loaded with high school all americans losing to a team with none in the first round of the tournament.

1) The little winking face is not just there for fun. I was making a sarcastic comment regarding the depth of your analysis and criticism. I'm sorry that you didn't catch on.

2) Weber State says Hi.

3) Does anybody have the average number of posts IC castaways fire off before getting tossed from DBR? This isn't IC, TDD or any other scout board. We require civility (for the most part) and in the absence of such, at least intelligent analysis.

"That is so weak" usually doesn't classify as the latter. I'm warning you because I am worried about your future here. You may thank me later.

4) On that note, Rippy, do you have something you would like to get off your chest? Perhaps, what you think of this year's Duke team? Please, share with the class.

BobbyFan
04-07-2009, 02:21 PM

Not as weak as a Carolina fan feeling the need to visit a Duke board after winning the national championship and bringing up a game from 2 years ago.

Virginian
04-07-2009, 02:30 PM
It's a good thing for Duke that an ACC team won the championship. It's really important for our recruiting for us to be a leader in a strong conference.

And then there's this: it wasn't UConn.

VaDukie
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Not as weak as a Carolina fan feeling the need to visit a Duke board after winning the national championship and bringing up a game from 2 years ago.

If you're a Carolina fan and at any point in the 24 hours following a championship you decide to go on the internet and post on a Duke message board you either have no class, no friends, or both.

Enjoy your team's victory, but do it with people who are doing the same.

RelativeWays
04-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I doubt Penn State had any burger boys either in 2001 either. Meh, stuff happens and the strength of rival BB programs waxes and wanes like a fickle moon. You'd think that longtime UNC and Duke fans would know that by now, but alas, internet bravado and tomfoolery has made them stupid.

slower
04-07-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm warning you because I am worried about your future here. You may thank me later.

Cut him off and we'll all thank you NOW! :D

jv001
04-07-2009, 03:56 PM

He did not say your team was weak as you have so emphatically stated about Duke. He said YOU are weak. I know you don't have any intelligent unc fans on your boards to talk to. I understand completely. Go Duke!

Lord Ash
04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I am surprisingly okay with UNCs win, although getting to sleep was tough last night... as long as I stay away from internet sites where Heel fans might show up then I don't think I will care much until next season begins again, or if the Heels land Wall.

A student of mine came in today wearing a Carolina shirt (I live in NJ, just FYI.) I didn't notice at first... but when I did, yikes! I stopped talking in mid-sen... just stared at him in dead silence, glaring eyes like headlights of hatred, and the kids all just started at me and followed my eyes to him, and to his light blue shirt... and I mouthed the words "I hate you" at him, reeeeaal deliberate-like. I then asked for volunteers for something fun, and kept pointing at him and then OOPSnevermind pointing at the kid next to him. Didn't call on him once all day.

He giggled every time I glared at him the entire class period long. They had a good time with it.

:)

Anyway... what can you do. Carolina was really, really good last year and could have won. Instead, they did this year. I hate that Roy is basically on par with K at this point, especially when you consider how just a pair of games won or lost in either direction could change that COMPLETELY. But what can you do; reality is what it is.

Here is to K winning another title or two before he wraps up a legendary career!

A-Tex Devil
04-07-2009, 04:31 PM

Weber St.?

BobbyFan
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Anyway... what can you do. Carolina was really, really good last year and could have won. Instead, they did this year. I hate that Roy is basically on par with K at this point, especially when you consider how just a pair of games won or lost in either direction could change that COMPLETELY.

Are you referring to our games against UNLV in 1991 and Kentucky in 1992? :)

Classof06
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
UNC was the best team in the country this year; they really had no excuse not winning it; they did win it and they deserved it. End of story.

Pernell
04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Given that some of my closest friends are UNC alums I was initially dreading the inevitable, but when it was all said and done, I too was okay with UNCs win. Last night was the best performance I've seen from UNC or any team in a long time. Contributions came from all positions and they seemed extremely motivated on the defensive end as well, which I didn't expect.(Not that they needed added motivation but I wonder if MJ spoke to the team on the day of his election into the Hall).

We definitely need to continue to improve our recruiting and develop the players that we have and hopefully we can have more balanced teams that will make deeper runs come tournament time.

I'm not thrilled that UNC won, but on paper and as evidenced on the court last night, they were the best.

I am surprisingly okay with UNCs win, although....

Anyway... what can you do. Carolina was really, really good last year and could have won. Instead, they did this year. I hate that Roy is basically on par with K at this point, especially when you consider how just a pair of games won or lost in either direction could change that COMPLETELY. But what can you do; reality is what it is.

Here is to K winning another title or two before he wraps up a legendary career!

Lord Ash
04-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Are you referring to our games against UNLV in 1991 and Kentucky in 1992? :)

My statement is like a rorschach; you see what you want to see!:)

My overall point really was that I do think that titles are overblown. Imagine if K had won any one championship game, and Roy had lost last night. So then K would have 4 and Roy only 1? Would that make them that much different as coaches? Nope. Or what if K had lost one more championship game, and Roy had won one of his finals, and the tally was 3 for Roy and 2 for K. Would THAT make a huge difference? Nope. Titles are historic and fantastic, but in the world of basketball I think it is more important that you are consistently great, year after year after year after year after year, which is something both Duke and Carolina have achieved. Does anyone really think Dean is the equivalent of Billy Donovan? Clearly not.

And *oh gasp* the SHOCK of this one... can you imagine switching three games results? Holy cow... you could get K to NO titles, or Roy to what... five? And all of that, for three simple games out of thousands combined... and again...would you honestly say that the coaches in question are SO much different for it? I think not.

Cavlaw
04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
You are the weakest link... goodbye.

Duvall
04-07-2009, 07:04 PM
goodbye.

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung.

Son of Mojo
04-07-2009, 07:30 PM
This got me today......ALL day at work......instead of just holding their collective heads up high and taking pride in winning the NCAA title, all the hole fans could bark about (and yes, they loooooooove hearing themselves) was how much better they were than we were. Our winning the ACC title was put down, because, remember, it's only an important accomplishment if THEY win it (and then they won't quit talking about it)--otherwise, it doesn't count. You just won the big prize and you're more concerned with lording it over us instead of congratulating each other??? That's twisted. This is one of the reasons they are so universally disliked by non-unc fans. They played a (feel very dirty for saying it but it's true) great game and deserved to win despite their constant fouling and MSU playing possibly the dumbest game I've seen a team play in an important game in years. Really, one pass & out on offense? Attempting an alley oop when you're DOWN by like 20 (and throwing the pass out of bounds)? unc didn't need the help but they were certainly given it by MSU. Geez........enough venting. Let them have their moment. I'd rather block out last night and think about what we'll do next year.

devildownunder
04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
you are missing the larger point here.

No I'm not. I don't have any issue with the larger point that people like winners, so they gloss over their feet of clay -- so I didn't comment on that. I do perhaps take issue with some of the ways MJ was characterised in the post, so my response focused on that.

DukieBoy
04-07-2009, 09:51 PM
In order to congratulate Tyler, I present this music video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlpsuq6iABg&feature=related). Maybe he could use it as advice in the pros.

moonpie23
04-07-2009, 09:58 PM
oh lord THANK YOU.......i needed a laugh so badly....

Jarhead
04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
What's up with Woody Cheerleader? On the evening news they showed Woody introducing Roy Williams at this afternoon's welcome home celebration, and he credited him with being the winningest active coach in college basketball. Where does that come from? This list (http://collegebasketball.about.com/od/coaches/a/winningest.htm) shows Roy at #8, and Mike Krzyzewski at #1.

Coballs
04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
What's up with Woody Cheerleader? On the evening news they showed Woody introducing Roy Williams at this afternoon's welcome home celebration, and he credited him with being the winningest active coach in college basketball. Where does that come from? This list (http://collegebasketball.about.com/od/coaches/a/winningest.htm) shows Roy at #8, and Mike Krzyzewski at #1.

Highest winning percentage, not total wins. In my book, that doesn't make him the winningest active coach.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
04-07-2009, 11:08 PM
http://student.uncw.edu/jzp5079/dang.jpg

moonpie23
04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
the town GREASED those poles too..the afternoon before the game..

DukeHistorian
04-07-2009, 11:57 PM
In five words or less?

Congrats, Tarholes! Next year, Duke!

gep
04-08-2009, 12:47 AM
As some other posters have indicated... my biggest disappointment would have been if Calhoun won another NC. Once uCon lost, I was just fine. I like Coach Izzo, and of course, wanted Michigan State over unc. I actually wanted Villanova to do it to unc, but given what happened overall, I'm glad uCon wasn't in the final. But, unc was a much better team, and I can live with that... especially since uCon didn't make it:D

p.s. I admit to not *really* knowing or feeling the rivalry with unc... never lived remotely close to the Triangle...

sweetchiba51
04-08-2009, 01:40 AM
gep....you have no idea...if you grew up in nc and were a Duke fan...there is no way on gods green earth you would pull for the holes.....period..i try to explain the rivalry to the people here in spokane, but they have no clue...
GO DUKE!!

devildownunder
04-08-2009, 01:59 AM
gep....you have no idea...if you grew up in nc and were a Duke fan...there is no way on gods green earth you would pull for the holes.....period..i try to explain the rivalry to the people here in spokane, but they have no clue...
GO DUKE!!

I don't see why they wouldn't get it. it's similar enough to U-dub v Wasu, isn't it, at least similar enough to make a comparison?

gep
04-08-2009, 02:32 AM
GO DUKE!!

I don't see why they wouldn't get it. it's similar enough to U-dub v Wasu, isn't it, at least similar enough to make a comparison?

Thanks for the comments... my high school rivalry in my hometown was probably as close as I can imagine to the Duke/unc or u-dub/wasu rivalry... but I'm sure it doesn't even resemble the "actual" rivalry you speak of. That said, if I had to choose between unc and uCon, I still prefer uCon losing...:)

UrinalCake
04-08-2009, 04:42 AM
The rivalry definitely takes on a whole new meaning when you live in the Triangle, as you're constantly surrounded by friends, coworkers, and even family members who root for the opposing school. It's inescapable. Regarding UCONN, they totally have karma working against them. I don't know where that karma was in 1999 or 2004 because we sure could have used it then, but the last two years they've gotten what they had coming.

Oh Canada
04-08-2009, 08:56 AM
November's closer than we think!

Bostondevil
04-08-2009, 09:48 AM
When Duke won the ACC this year, I refrained from taunting my Tarheel friends (yes, I do have some). In fact, I always refrain from taunting my Tarheel friends after they suffer a difficult loss or a fabulous Duke win. My Tarheel friends never return the favor. I got several taunting emails yesterday. Does this make me a better person than my Tarheel friends? Does this in fact make me a better person than almost any Tarheel? Yes, yes it does. (I'm kidding on the square here.)

DukeHistorian
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
The rivalry definitely takes on a whole new meaning when you live in the Triangle, as you're constantly surrounded by friends, coworkers, and even family members who root for the opposing school. It's inescapable.

Absolutely. I was at Rite Aid the other day before the UNC game, and the lady working the register was whining to the customer in front of me about how UNC got "robbed" by Kansas last year. I couldn't help myself and pointed out that you aren't "robbed" when you are down by 28 in the first ten minutes of the game - you just got your tail whipped. Having these UNC fans everywhere - even in the middle of Durham, five minutes from Duke - is really annoying.

slower
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
No I'm not. I don't have any issue with the larger point that people like winners, so they gloss over their feet of clay -- so I didn't comment on that. I do perhaps take issue with some of the ways MJ was characterised in the post, so my response focused on that.

or...just never mind. We'll just agree to disagree.

Matches
04-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I was driving down I-40 yesterday and passed the team headed back from the airport. At first I just noticed the police escort and buses, and thought a bus driver had died. Then it dawned on me what was really going on.

Still can't figure out why they had one short bus in the procession, though. :)

missfinch
04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Love the short bus humor! (especially applied to UNC)

jipops
04-08-2009, 01:42 PM

Oh yea, like Weber State '99?

bhop22
04-08-2009, 03:34 PM
No more Sports Illustrated commercials, PLEASE!!!!!

dukester
04-08-2009, 03:48 PM
I know collectively we are all tired of hearing about UNC winning the tourney but one good thing might come out of this. Maybe, just maybe, when G is considering his draft status and weighing coming back to duke he considers that hansbrough came back and finished what he started. I know the NBA would be really tempting to any 21 year old but given G's competitive nature and his family background i wouldn't be surprised to see him come back to finish what he started. All I am saying is maybe he considers the unc victory when he considers his choice in going or staying.

Atlanta Duke
04-08-2009, 04:02 PM
I know collectively we are all tired of hearing about UNC winning the tourney but one good thing might come out of this. Maybe, just maybe, when G is considering his draft status and weighing coming back to duke he considers that hansbrough came back and finished what he started. I know the NBA would be really tempting to any 21 year old but given G's competitive nature and his family background i wouldn't be surprised to see him come back to finish what he started. All I am saying is maybe he considers the unc victory when he considers his choice in going or staying.

Tyler Hansbrough was coming back in 2008-09 after a logical progression of: Georgetown crash and burn in Elite Eight; Kansas Final Four crash and burn; and return to loaded team that was being hyped last spring by hacks like Doyel as a team that would go undefeated and potentially be regarded as the greatest team of all basketball times.

Coming back to Duke next season to progress somewhere past the round of sixteen with a team that is no sure thing and face potentially dropping in the 2010 draft due to a stronger draft class next season would not be a compelling reason for me to stay, but I suppose it depends on how much you like where you are as compared to where you are heading.

Having seen these discussions in various forms since the Three Amigos departed in 1999, I admit to having no clue why some players stay (JJ/Shelden Williams/Jason Williams after 2001) and why some others go. Good luck to Gerald Henderson in making whatever choice he regards to be in his best interests.

moonpie23
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
THE UNIVERSITY OF NOT AS MANY CARE

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/news/story?id=4050821

it's cause i turned it off when unc went up 10...

dukemsu
04-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Obviously, I've been hiding out for a couple of days after the debacle on Monday night. But I figured I would weigh in on this thread to put the season to bed.

My distaste for assorted individual Heels (this year it was Hans, Frasor, and Green, not much to dislike about the rest of them in my opinion) has been totally eclipsed by a fairly unhealthy amount of hatred for Ol' Roy. It's not so much the fake tan, the aw-shucks, the turning in other coaches for recruiting violations, the constant referring to himself in the third person. What is it, dare you ask?

His pettiness. Best exemplified by his moaning this week about how his Heels weren't the story for some of the mainstream press, which focused primarily on the home-state Spartans. He whined about how if MSU winning it all would fix the economy (which was a ridiculous stance for the media to take, and some of them did), he'd rather everyone stay poor. He went on and on about how his guys deserved more credit for what they've done, what they gave up (when in fact if Lawson, Green, or Ellington had been told they'd be top 15, they'd have been out on the first train leaving Hell). He seemed genuinely offended at the media's treatment of his poor kids.

Kids who had been described all year as the best team in America. He pulled the same nonsense when Illinois was contrasted with his uberHeels in 2005. Ol' Roy wants it all- he wants to get all the best players, with the most talent, and then be referred to as the I Think I Can I Think I Can group that emerges in every tournament.

State's depiction as that was way overplayed, I get that. It's not like they had guys who couldn't play, no matter how awful they were on Monday. But Ol' Roy, in my opinion, just furthered his burgeoning reputation as a petulant, narcissistic whiner who wants his poor kids to be everything to everyone. They were the best team. They were recognized as such universally. That should be enough for anyone.

GTHC.

dukemsu

moonpie23
04-09-2009, 12:02 AM
i think the third person thing really irritated dan patrick too...he called him out for it before, during and after they had ol roy on today...

sandinmyshoes
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
If I were standing outside of the rivalry, this UNC group would have been a team I could have rooted for. Seriously, they appear to be decent enough kids, and Williams seems an okay guy by Division One coaching standards (keeping in mind that all of them are hard driven competitors with substantial egos not matter how much they try to mask it).

But, as I am in the rivalry as a fan, I watched the game, feeling discontent as UNC dismantled the poor Spartans. Then I just took a few days off from basketball interest. One thing for sure was to avoid bulletin boards, even Duke boards, at all cost. The bulletin boards just bring out the worst in fans, even those who are decent enough people in real life.

I am fortunate in that most of my friends who happen to be UNC fans are good people and not all that unbearable. Like me they can leave most of their fanaticism behind when the game is over. Those who cannot, generally are not my friends because of that.

AnimalFriendly
04-09-2009, 03:39 PM
He whined about how if MSU winning it all would fix the economy (which was a ridiculous stance for the media to take, and some of them did), he'd rather everyone stay poor.

It is simply amazing that you could refer to this statement by Roy as whining when it was crystal clear he was joking. Good grief.

dukebsbll14
04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Ok so the next day at school everyone was wearing their Tar Hole shirts/the entire school was soaked carolina blue. Me, being the great Duke fan that I am, wore my Duke sweatpants and "True Blue Believer" Duke shirt:)

A stomach bug had been going around school, and ironically on the morning after the game, I started to feel sick. When I got to class, I wasn't feeling so well and rested my head on the desk. When the first unfortunate Carolina fan came to brag to me (as he had every chance he got) I looked up, stared at him, and vomited all over him. I mistook his shirt for a garbage can (which was next to my desk)....

At least I feel better for Spring Break! I'll be up at campus next week to sit in on some of my sister's classes...so avoid wearing carolina blue if you see me...

9F 9F 9F!!!

Son of Mojo
04-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Ok so the next day at school everyone was wearing their Tar Hole shirts/the entire school was soaked carolina blue. Me, being the great Duke fan that I am, wore my Duke sweatpants and "True Blue Believer" Duke shirt:)

A stomach bug had been going around school, and ironically on the morning after the game, I started to feel sick. When I got to class, I wasn't feeling so well and rested my head on the desk. When the first unfortunate Carolina fan came to brag to me (as he had every chance he got) I looked up, stared at him, and vomited all over him. I mistook his shirt for a garbage can (which was next to my desk)....

At least I feel better for Spring Break! I'll be up at campus next week to sit in on some of my sister's classes...so avoid wearing carolina blue if you see me...

9F 9F 9F!!!

A smile uncontrollably came to my face reading this. Vomit is never funny......until now. Good job!!

dukemsu
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
It is simply amazing that you could refer to this statement by Roy as whining when it was crystal clear he was joking. Good grief.

Maybe he was joking. I don't know. But the overall impression of his behavior and quotes at the Final Four, to me, rang as those of a whiner who was frustrated that his poor boys weren't getting enough credit, despite the widespread belief that they were the best team.

And this wasn't the first time I've gotten that impression.

Like I said before, just my opinion.

dukemsu