PDA

View Full Version : Would Duke be booed by 50,000+ fans if they make Final Four in future?

houstondukie
04-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Packing 70,000+ fans in the stadium will continue in the future for the Final Four sites.

So it got me thinking - if Duke gets back to the Final Four in the future, I have a very bad feeling of playing in front of that many people when the majority of the crowd will most likely be anti-Duke. How many Duke fans would go to the game? I know I certainly would, but considering we have a relatively small alumni base and most of the country seems to hate/not care for Duke, I don't see more than 20,000 Duke fans?

Hopefully, Duke will be good enough to overcome such an anti-Duke crowd.

Can't wait to find out! Maybe next year?

El_Diablo
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Duke has a lot of fans who didn't actually attend the school.

ice-9
04-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Doesn't seem to be affecting UNC in the slightest!

Hopefully we'd be good enough that we wouldn't care either.

weezie
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Duke is used to it. I try to attend several away games during the regular and post-seasons. While it is pretty unpleasant, as a fan, to hear your team showered with boos, the players seem to take it firmly in stride.
And nothing sounds sweeter when the opposing fans are shoved into silence.
Witness how deflated the Spartan fans are tonight. I'm sad for them. :(

Bostondevil
04-06-2009, 11:36 PM
The answer to the original question is - of course not, as we all know, and as ESPN points out ad nauseum, all the Duke fans are wealthy elitists. We are always able to buy up all the tickets when Duke makes the Final Four! ;)

arnie
04-07-2009, 08:35 AM
The answer to the original question is - of course not, as we all know, and as ESPN points out ad nauseum, all the Duke fans are wealthy elitists. We are always able to buy up all the tickets when Duke makes the Final Four! ;)

I am one of the Duke alums that continues to receive the monthly stipend from Duke - you know the stipend that they send out to underachieving grads to keep us from embarassing the school. I will use this money to buy my share of the next Final 4 tixs.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I am one of the Duke alums that continues to receive the monthly stipend from Duke - you know the stipend that they send out to underachieving grads to keep us from embarassing the school. I will use this money to buy my share of the next Final 4 tixs.
Ooooh! I want to sign up for this! :cool:

Having 10X thousands of opposing fans in the stands didn't affect us too badly in Atlanta this year at the ACC Tourney!

godukecom
04-07-2009, 09:10 AM
I would kill for Duke to have an opportunity to find out the answer to that question soon...

Bostondevil
04-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Post of the day!

SupaDave
04-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Who worries about getting booed? I'm just saying. It's like asking if our players like to wear a left and a right shoe.

DU82
04-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Does being the bad guys, hated by most, affect recruiting? Does a 17 year-old see the reactions that Duke gets, and then thinks "I'm not going there to be booed and hated"? Yes, we get good recruits, but do the Monroes or Pattersons look at this and say, "I'm going somewhere else"?

Richard Berg
04-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I doubt it. If anything, highly competitive kids love the challenge. See: Greg, JJ, Laettner. Or on other teams: E. Devendorf, J. Noah, R. McCants, etc etc.

Virginian
04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Since the school and its famously and fabulously wealthy undergrads and alumni clearly have the millions of dollars it has taken to buy the favor of very referee at every game for the last 25 years, we certainly have enough money to buy up all the seats at next year's Final Four venue.

SupaDave
04-07-2009, 02:23 PM
Does being the bad guys, hated by most, affect recruiting? Does a 17 year-old see the reactions that Duke gets, and then thinks "I'm not going there to be booed and hated"? Yes, we get good recruits, but do the Monroes or Pattersons look at this and say, "I'm going somewhere else"?

Did the Boozers or the Brands? Or the Duhons or the Dunleavys? Or the Singlers or the Hendersons?

Edouble
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Did the Boozers or the Brands? Or the Duhons or the Dunleavys? Or the Singlers or the Hendersons?

It wasn't really an issue for the first four guys though. I think it really picked up after the '99 exodus didn't slow us down like people thought it would.

Maxwell1977
04-07-2009, 05:26 PM

Somewhere else turned out to be the NIT.