PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton

gotham devil
04-06-2009, 06:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4046792

Evaluations from this weekend

dukeballer2294
04-06-2009, 06:55 PM
in the article they described thorton as a sg, i thought he was a pg who shoots a lot... guess not

Newton_14
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
in the article they described thorton as a sg, i thought he was a pg who shoots a lot... guess not

Everything I have read about Thornton says that he is a true point guard, "floor general", "coach on the floor". Definitely not a SG...

Not sure why ESPN says SG.

FireOgilvie
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Everything I have read about Thornton says that he is a true point guard, "floor general", "coach on the floor". Definitely not a SG...

I've heard that he's a lot like Nolan Smith... more of a combo PG/SG. He's nowhere near as athletic as Nolan, but I have heard he's probably going to be just as good of a defender. It seems like every report describes Thornton's offense as "non-descript." At this point, he's definitely not the "missing piece" PG that people have been pining for. He still has a year and a half to develop his game though.

Icarus09
04-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Yeah, it looks like Cedrick Lindsey is Gonzaga's shooting guard, but that he shares occasional PG minutes with Thornton.

roywhite
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
I've heard that he's a lot like Nolan Smith... more of a combo PG/SG. He's nowhere near as athletic as Nolan, but I have heard he's probably going to be just as good of a defender. It seems like every report describes Thornton's offense as "non-descript." At this point, he's definitely not the "missing piece" PG that people have been pining for. He still has a year and a half to develop his game though.

Future teammates will include Elliot Williams, Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Andre Dawkins, and Josh Hairston, and may include Harrison Barnes.

Seems like there will be scorers and shooters. A pass-first, strong defender PG should work well with the other talent. I hope Thornton can be that type of player; Duke is also pursuing Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight, who are talented PG prospects who can also score well.

FireOgilvie
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Future teammates will include Elliot Williams, Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly, Mason Plumlee, Andre Dawkins, and Josh Hairston, and may include Harrison Barnes.

Seems like there will be scorers and shooters. A pass-first, strong defender PG should work well with the other talent. I hope Thornton can be that type of player; Duke is also pursuing Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight, who are talented PG prospects who can also score well.

...and Olek Czyz, Miles Plumlee, Nolan Smith and possibly Singler for a year.

Out of all of those guys, Seth Curry or Nolan Smith are the best point guards, and they're not true pass-first PGs... although I think Curry could rack up a lot of assists if he wanted to. Coach K has said multiple times that we need a point guard... we have no true PGs on the roster or coming in 2010. Thornton will definitely have a role on the team, but we really need a Wall/Bledsoe/Irving/Knight... a quick penetrating PG with great court vision.

SupaDave
04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
...and Olek Czyz, Miles Plumlee, Nolan Smith and possibly Singler for a year.

Out of all of those guys, Seth Curry or Nolan Smith are the best point guards, and they're not true pass-first PGs... although I think Curry could rack up a lot of assists if he wanted to. Coach K has said multiple times that we need a point guard... we have no true PGs on the roster or coming in 2010. Thornton will definitely have a role on the team, but we really need a Wall/Bledsoe/Irving/Knight... a quick penetrating PG with great court vision.

And back to Hairston and Thornton! I think the fact that a lot of our incoming guys are familiar with each other already is a really big deal. Looks like future teams will have a lot of chemistry.

mcdukie
04-07-2009, 10:08 AM

He is not like Nolan. Nolan was a 2 in high school and is learning to play point. Thornton is a pure PG. That is not to say he will be ready to step in from day one and star but he is a point.

SupaDave
04-07-2009, 10:11 AM
As a matter of fact, after reading that I'm getting pretty excited about our front line in the next couple of years.

We'll be solid and deep next year with Zoubek, Thomas, Miles, Ryan, Mason, and Olek.

Then the next year you have Miles, Mason, Ryan, Hairston, and quite possibly a brute in Olek.

The future is looking bright.

gotham devil
04-07-2009, 02:22 PM
He is not like Nolan. Nolan was a 2 in high school and is learning to play point. Thornton is a pure PG. That is not to say he will be ready to step in from day one and star but he is a point.

Please then tell his high school coach, Steve Turner, that he is a pure point and not a combo guard. For better or worse, he spent the majority of this year playing off the ball.

chrishoke
04-07-2009, 02:28 PM
:(Worse.