PDA

View Full Version : Interesting perspective on Ol'Roy vs. Izzo

jdc75
04-06-2009, 08:57 AM
I thought this may be as funny to some of you as it was to me:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11595774

It's nice to know that Ol' Roy is too much for at least one journalist out there. The powder blue sweater vest, and the golden Guv'na's Club tan are enough to initiate a gag reflex in me before he even starts in on the golly gee phoniness. Roy always reminds of a favorite song of mine by the late great Merle Travis called "That's Too Much Sugar For A Dime". By the way how's Ty's toe doing?

davekay1971
04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Awesome!!! I'm glad someone in the sports media finally called out Williams on his phony aw-shucks persona.

bjornolf
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Wow, the vitriol in the comments section! I guess we're just used to all the terrible things people say about us, but wow, thin-skin much?

Aziggazoomba
04-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Of course I'm hopelessly biased (except I actually have a preference for Dean's style over Roy's----which probably puts me in even worse stead in the eyes of many a Duke fan), but I should point out that this piece was written by someone gulity of resume fraud (and had to resign his post at the Indianapolis Star). So from the get-go he's gotta be viewed with at least a bit of skepticism.

I know Roy's cornpone schtick can rub some the wrong way, and Izzo is by all accounts a great guy (and Roy has always been extremely complimentary of him), but I don't think Roy deserved a hatchet job like this.

But that's just me.

NashvilleDevil
04-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I know Roy's cornpone schtick can rub some the wrong way, and Izzo is by all accounts a great guy (and Roy has always been extremely complimentary of him), but I don't think Roy deserved a hatchet job like this.

But that's just me.

When a hatchet job happens every week to your coach or your team then I think you might have something to talk about. Duke and Coach K gets this type of crap written about them all the time.

MarkD83
04-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Obviously Mike Freeman did not go to the UNC journalism school :)

CDu
04-06-2009, 12:55 PM
I agree with the writer that Williams seems pretty phony, but the article is a bit over the top. Also, I'm not sure I see the need for such an article in the first place.

Rich
04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
The only thing I take exception to in the article is his description that "the Spartans' offense resembl[es] a slow-moving cement truck." The rest seems just about right. :D

weezie
04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't miss the piously bleating comments at the bottom of the article.
holes are fired up on behalf of Little Roy! So cute.:p

Newton_14
04-06-2009, 08:20 PM
My favorite quote from the article was this one:

"The only difference between Jim Calhoun and Williams is public temperament and spoken accent".

Duvall
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
My favorite quote from the article was this one:

"The only difference between Jim Calhoun and Williams is public temperament and spoken accent".

Well, that hardly seems fair. But the basic premise is sound, I think. Roy tries awfully hard to maintain a facade of folksy decency, which is made all the more bizarre by the fact that Roy isn't actually crooked.

jdj4duke
04-06-2009, 09:49 PM
When a hatchet job happens every week to your coach or your team then I think you might have something to talk about. Duke and Coach K gets this type of crap written about them all the time.

Bingo, with Jason Whitlock's nonsense last week being a perfect illustration of the point.