PDA

View Full Version : Pressure on UNC

dukelifer
04-04-2009, 07:21 AM
There is huge pressure on UNC this weekend. Huge pressure on Roy who will have to deal with his own fans who at times question his decision making and coaching ability- for reasons that still baffle me. Pressure on his players- like Lawson- who believes he is NBA ready and flub on the big stage could set that back and of course on Hansbrough who needs a championship to solidify his place in UNC bball history. There is even pressure on the fans who will need to put a loss in perspective. Pressure can do a lot to a team. Sometimes the players perform at a high level and sometimes they get crushed by it in the critical moments. It will be interesting to see how they respond.

If UNC wins this- you have to say they earned it. Having endured the end of the 1992 season- with the Kentucky close call- the near collapse at the end of the Indiana game and the back and forth in the Michigan game until the waning moments- I know how hard it can be on the fan base of a team who everyone expected to win it all from day 1. I may reluctantly bring myself to watch the championship game on Monday if UNC is in it and probably turn off the sports shows for a week if they win- but in the end I will have to respect their ability to battle through the intense pressure. If they lose- well - there will be a lot of 'xplainin' to do.

rthomas
04-04-2009, 08:08 AM
They are not the only ones.

I would say that the pressure is as great or greater for the UConnvicts. Probation looming, Calhoun critics. Probably more pressure for them than UNC.

Also, Michigan St has to be feeling pressure as well since it's basically a home game.

Villanova must be feeling pretty pressure free.

whereinthehellami
04-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I haven't seen nova look rattled at all so far. They have looked tough and athletic. I got a bad feeling that they are going to get rattled against UNC. I also think that Cunningham will be in foul trouble the whole game. I don't think its a blow out but I think UNC cruises.

With that said I really hope Nova comes out fearless, swinging, and just flying at the rim. I think if they play aggressively and attack the whole game they could run UNC into the ground. While UNC fans like to boast that no teams can out run them, i think teams can out tough them and run with them. Nova has a shot.

Buckeye Devil
04-04-2009, 09:01 AM
I think it is all on UNC especially after last year's debacle in the Final 4. Plus a lot of the pundits predict them to win. I just hope for some of their patented lapses on defense and a cartoon-sized swollen toe.

Devilsfan
04-04-2009, 09:16 AM
There's absolutely no pressure on the heels. Either they win it all or are crown the nation's greatest all-time under achievers.

moonpie23
04-04-2009, 09:34 AM
They are not the only ones.

I would say that the pressure is as great or greater for the UConnvicts. Probation looming, Calhoun critics. Probably more pressure for them than UNC.

i would disagree with this only because Uconn didn't fall in humiliating fashion last year AND the year before while being suited up for the title by just about everyone..

if unc falls this time.....it's gonna be realllllllllllllllllly bad for them, AND their fans...

captmojo
04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Pressure's off. Most shooters will lightly tumble the dice, back and forth in a closed hand, before releasing them to roll to the far end of the table.

By the way, did they pass yet?

Kewlswim
04-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I think there is a lot of pressure on Ole Roy. He might push the wrong buttons like his mentor Dean Smith used to do time and time again costing the Heels championships. I don't fully understand how Coach K has been labeled the underachiever with his stable of McDonald's All Americans when for decades UNC would have more talent and not get too far. Remember the joke was that Dean Smith was the only one who could hold MJ to 20 points or less (or something like that). I suspect UNC has soooooooo much more talent than the rest of the teams out there that they can probably withstand any Ole Roy blunders. However, a desert fox like Tom Izzo might be able to do something special in a game that really counts. I don't know enough about the coach at Villanova to know if in a close game he is able to out-maneuver Williams for I do believe Williams is out-maneuverable (even though I think he out-coached Coach K at Cameron, but maybe that was because Coach K really didn't have the talent to compete and it just ended up looking that way).

GO DUKE!

jpfrizzle
04-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Their time is coming when they will fall and DUKE will be back on top

rippy74
04-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi,

I think there is a lot of pressure on Ole Roy. He might push the wrong buttons like his mentor Dean Smith used to do time and time again costing the Heels championships. I don't fully understand how Coach K has been labeled the underachiever with his stable of McDonald's All Americans when for decades UNC would have more talent and not get too far. Remember the joke was that Dean Smith was the only one who could hold MJ to 20 points or less (or something like that). I suspect UNC has soooooooo much more talent than the rest of the teams out there that they can probably withstand any Ole Roy blunders. However, a desert fox like Tom Izzo might be able to do something special in a game that really counts. I don't know enough about the coach at Villanova to know if in a close game he is able to out-maneuver Williams for I do believe Williams is out-maneuverable (even though I think he out-coached Coach K at Cameron, but maybe that was because Coach K really didn't have the talent to compete and it just ended up looking that way).

GO DUKE!

I love this stuff. Like Duke didn't go through all the sames things? The expectations when JJ and Wiliams were constantly ranked #1 over and over again and didn't win it? They went to the Final Four - a huge accomplishment. Anyone saying a team came up short because they didn't win it all is such a joke. I think that Coach K is a better game coach than Williams, but you calling out Dean Smith for costing the Tarheels championships is a bit much. I watched the 2004 Final Four game against UCONN today and Coach K cost Duke the game by leaving Williams in to get his third foul too early and then he was fouled out at the end of the game. Making the FF is huge and to win it all everything has to go right.

By the way. Duke hasn't lost because they don't have good enough talent. Duke hasn't done as well lately because they haven't had that talent at the point guard and post positions. Get those going and Duke will be back in the Final Four.

hudlow
04-04-2009, 03:43 PM
You'd better believe that the memory of getting run out of the gym last year is still playing heavily on their little minds.

I look for another Titanic choke that only UNC is capable of.

ABC.

dukestheheat
04-04-2009, 04:11 PM
I just think Villanova is a very dangerous team; no one outside of their program is really giving them any shot at beating UNC, and the line is -7.5 for UNC going in.

Their coach is going to use all this to motivate them, and look for a major clamp down on the Villanova defense on everybody except for Hanstravel. (By the way, did anyone notice the two (2) TRAVEL calls on Psycho this last game? I cannot, for the record, recall one game these last two YEARS where he had TWO travel calls on him in any one game. I honestly stood up and cheered that they were called, I was so motivated by that!).

I hope Carolina loses by 10 points.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but they just get to me.

dukestheheat.

DukePA
04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
I just think Villanova is a very dangerous team; no one outside of their program is really giving them any shot at beating UNC, and the line is -7.5 for UNC going in.

Their coach is going to use all this to motivate them, and look for a major clamp down on the Villanova defense on everybody except for Hanstravel. (By the way, did anyone notice the two (2) TRAVEL calls on Psycho this last game? I cannot, for the record, recall one game these last two YEARS where he had TWO travel calls on him in any one game. I honestly stood up and cheered that they were called, I was so motivated by that!).

I hope Carolina loses by 10 points.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but they just get to me.

dukestheheat.

A resounding HELL YES to everything you said!!! They get to me too. GTHC, GTH!!!

DukeCO2009
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Let's not forget that Roy is a notorious choker and has never won anything with his own players. The fact that his career at Kansas was bookended by national championships speaks volumes, especially considering the talent he had down there. I think the only way the 'holes win is if they win tonight and MSU gets by UConn. The Huskies will eat chapel hill alive. Don't look past 'Nova, though--every Chapel Hill loss has come at the hands of a team with great guards.

Kewlswim
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I love this stuff. Like Duke didn't go through all the sames things? The expectations when JJ and Wiliams were constantly ranked #1 over and over again and didn't win it? They went to the Final Four - a huge accomplishment. Anyone saying a team came up short because they didn't win it all is such a joke. I think that Coach K is a better game coach than Williams, but you calling out Dean Smith for costing the Tarheels championships is a bit much. I watched the 2004 Final Four game against UCONN today and Coach K cost Duke the game by leaving Williams in to get his third foul too early and then he was fouled out at the end of the game. Making the FF is huge and to win it all everything has to go right.

By the way. Duke hasn't lost because they don't have good enough talent. Duke hasn't done as well lately because they haven't had that talent at the point guard and post positions. Get those going and Duke will be back in the Final Four.

Hi,

I agree that Duke needs more talent. I also think UNC has lost a lot more championships because of coaching than Duke has. I believed that before I set foot on campus as a freshman.

GO DUKE!

jpfrizzle
04-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I watched the role call for the `Villa vs UNC game tonight, and the announcer said
"North Carolina, ACC regular season champions"

WTF!!! :mad:

_Gary
04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I watched the role call for the `Villa vs UNC game tonight, and the announcer said

Tell me about it. Even the public address announcer sounds like he's a UNC fan. And Kellogg is already drooling about Hans and company. :rolleyes:

BTW, I haven't seen UNC playing with anything close to pressure yet in this tournament. They have seemed very loosy goosy to me. And they are playing the same way tonight early. I'm telling you, they are going to route 'Nova and MSU. I think they'll end up not having one game where they don't win by double-digits. Sick...

slower
04-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't have the stomach to watch the rest of this. The ending is too predictable.

jpfrizzle
04-04-2009, 09:40 PM
DUKE rules the ACC this season

redick4pres
04-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2001 Duke National Championship team the last team to win every game in the tourney by double digits? I know that that team did it, just don't know if they're the last ones to do it!

eddiehaskell
04-04-2009, 09:54 PM
BTW, I haven't seen UNC playing with anything close to pressure yet in this tournament. They have seemed very loosy goosy to me. And they are playing the same way tonight early. I'm telling you, they are going to route 'Nova and MSU. I think they'll end up not having one game where they don't win by double-digits. Sick...What I don't get is that teams like BC, Wake, Miami, FSU, Maryland and VT all gave UNC a good game (or beat them!!!) yet the these high seeds in the NCAA tourney can't even carry UNC's jock strap.:o

Heck, even NCST played them to a respectable 9 point game. I guess we're seeing a perfect example of how a good team doesn't give it their all during the regular season yet has the ability to dominate when they desire.

captmojo
04-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 2001 Duke National Championship team the last team to win every game in the tourney by double digits? I know that that team did it, just don't know if they're the last ones to do it!

Indiana '81.

Coach K said a very long time ago, and I believe it, that it takes a little luck to win it all. I don't recall his exact words.Somewhere along the way, the champions are going to get pushed.
It's quite the rare thing that this isn't true.

Kimist
04-05-2009, 10:08 AM

I'm glad somebody else picked up on that little bit of "extra" information from the announcer.

BTW: Did anyone note what Choir Boy H'brough said after his 4th foul? (Hint - it was not "shucks!" and was quite clear from the rim microphone.) Someone needs to find that and put it on YouTube for viewing by those who constantly rant on Coach K, give Williams a "bad day" freebie, or whatever.

I'm an adult (and a realist), and don't get terribly offended by such behavior, but it would be nice to stick that video in the face of some tarhole hypocrites. You know, the same ones who until recent seasons always whined about "somebody" always getting toooooooo many free throws.

k

Edouble
04-05-2009, 12:44 PM
What I don't get is that teams like BC, Wake, Miami, FSU, Maryland and VT all gave UNC a good game (or beat them!!!) yet the these high seeds in the NCAA tourney can't even carry UNC's jock strap.:o

Heck, even NCST played them to a respectable 9 point game. I guess we're seeing a perfect example of how a good team doesn't give it their all during the regular season yet has the ability to dominate when they desire.

UNC seems to play down to their competition alot, no doubt, but also remember that all of the ACC coaches have faced the key cogs on this UNC team for the past 3-4 years, so they have a great idea of what they're getting and what to do about it. It's much easier to coach against a team that you've already seen 6-10 times.