PDA

View Full Version : Final Four rooting

Jumbo
04-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Who are you rooting for in the Final Four?

Newton_14
04-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I am pulling for Villanova. They took our boys out, might as well lose to the champs. Plus I like their team and how hard they play.

Should they lose, then I hope Michigan St wins. Should neither of those teams win, my hope is that the tourney is cancelled due to weather or some other odd reason and no winner is declared....

Laettner92
04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Go Nova!!

-jk
04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Silly question! ABC.

Other than that, MSU. I like Izzo.

-jk

moonpie23
04-03-2009, 09:49 PM
would "other" be the Taliban?

captmojo
04-03-2009, 09:50 PM
I am pulling for Villanova. They took our boys out, might as well lose to the champs.

This is the very reason why I select the Wildcats.

The curse strikes later. Right? ;)

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2009, 09:52 PM
I always pull for whoever beat Duke. I'd rather lose to the winner. The fact that they are up against carolina is an added bonus.

ArkieDukie
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
I am pulling for Villanova. They took our boys out, might as well lose to the champs. Plus I like their team and how hard they play.

Should they lose, then I hope Michigan St wins. Should neither of those teams win, my hope is that the tourney is cancelled due to weather or some other odd reason and no winner is declared....

Same here. If the worst happens and Villanova and Michigan St lose tomorrow, I don't want either of the other two teams to win. Maybe the 'Victs can win and then have to vacate the championship due to NCAA sanctions?

WiJoe
04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
other
:D:D:D:D

mph
04-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Nothing would make me happier than seeing both UConn and Carolina lose. In the finals I'd pull for MSU. I really admire the way Izzo carries himself, his tournament consistency, and the fact that's he's built his program the right way.

dukelifer
04-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Nova first - just to show that you do not need a dominant big man to win it all. Then Michigan State- to show that you can win by playing good team ball without any real superstars. Then after that it gets dicey. I suppose, UNC (winning on some very controversial play that will be shown over and over again as being a wrong call that went their way) because the ACC has been pretty much bashed this post season and this could at least bring up the respect for the league. Last and certainly least UConn- with the hope that the have to forfeit the championship at some point.

Acymetric
04-03-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm pulling for Michigan State to win it all (always liked Izzo for some reason). I will be a Nova fan for at least one day though, I want unc to lose as soon as possible! Nightmare finals scenario: UConn vs. unc. Just awful.

BoC
04-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Villanova first, then MSU, then meteor strike.

msdukie
04-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Nova, because that ends the Threat quickly.

Then, we'll deal with any remaining scenarios.

(The only reason to not root for MSU over Villanova is because they would then tie us with 3 titles, otherwise MSU over Nova is the most desired outcome).

JDev
04-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Of course Nova because they play UNC, but I really like Izzo and I think he is a terrific coach. I would love to see MSU win.

KyDevilinIL
04-04-2009, 12:50 AM
With one major exception, I couldn't care less about the players involved. I'm more interested in the coaches.

So I'm pulling for Nova. But I can handle any of them except UConn, even (to an extent) UNC.

Mainly, the thought of Calhoun tying K with three titles gives me the cold shakes.

I have no problem with Izzo having two championships (An aside: Is there a more universally loved college coach than Izzo right now? The guy has few, if any, critics it seems.) Jay Wright seems like he'll get one eventually, though probably not this year. And I'd be less broken up about Roy winning No. 2 than I would be about TH winning one. That would be a real bummer.

I don't feel confident in Nova's chances of winning, and not because of seeding or whatever. Since 2000, every team that beat Duke in the Sweet 16 has reached the Final Four. Three (Florida, Indiana, Kansas) went on to the title game, but none have won the championship. So Nova would have to overcome that trend, it seems.

BulldogDancer81
04-04-2009, 02:16 AM
With one major exception, I couldn't care less about the players involved. I'm more interested in the coaches.

So I'm pulling for Nova. But I can handle any of them except UConn, even (to an extent) UNC.

Mainly, the thought of Calhoun tying K with three titles gives me the cold shakes.

I have no problem with Izzo having two championships (An aside: Is there a more universally loved college coach than Izzo right now? The guy has few, if any, critics it seems.) Jay Wright seems like he'll get one eventually, though probably not this year. And I'd be less broken up about Roy winning No. 2 than I would be about TH winning one. That would be a real bummer.

I don't feel confident in Nova's chances of winning, and not because of seeding or whatever. Since 2000, every team that beat Duke in the Sweet 16 has reached the Final Four. Three (Florida, Indiana, Kansas) went on to the title game, but none have won the championship. So Nova would have to overcome that trend, it seems.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly. I absolutely hate the idea of Calhoun having the same number of championships as K. Ugh!

I'm cheering for Nova first, then MSU, and then as much as it pains me to say this I would cheer for UNC over UConn, for the reason mentioned above. As much as I dislike UNC I respect them much more than I respect UConn.

If it comes down to a UNC-UConn final, I might not even be able to watch.

G man
04-04-2009, 02:56 AM
Nova
MSU
Uconn (whom I hate)
Then I hope the Lord comes so they can not win!

CameronCrazy'11
04-04-2009, 03:06 AM
other
:D:D:D:D

QFT. Anyone who votes for them merits a 10 day ban imo

shoutingncu
04-04-2009, 04:14 AM

I was curious about this, myself. I didn't want to bring it up a) because it may seem like stirring the pot from a Carolina alum, and b) it's a day early. But I'd like to see the poll results, should the two favorites advance, of who you all would root against harder...

Calhoun's third, or Carolina's fifth?

I assume I know the answer, but the two people in this thread actually surprised me.

1999ballboy
04-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Voted MSU because I've gained a lot of respect for them recently. But I like Villanova too. Tom Izzo and Jay Wright are two of my favorite coaches in college hoops. Izzo in particular is amazing. His teams rarely have big names on them but they work well together and play beautiful, unselfish basketball. As I was watching them against Louisville I started out not really caring who won and ended rooting hard for MSU.

madscavenger
04-04-2009, 06:22 AM
The Final Act:

UConn meets Nova in the Championship game, and Nova goes belly up. BUUUTT, the NCAA comes to the rescue, dropping big-time sanctions on the little darlings. Mirroring the Howard Porter led Wildcats of yore, our favorite felonius five and their feral Fagin are expunged from the record book.

Yes my friends, there is balance in the Universe.

Buckeye Devil
04-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Living in Big 10 country, I am not an ACC fan is spite of being an avid Duke fan. If some think the ACC has taken its lumps this year in the tourney, it is even tougher for the Big 10 on a more regular basis. The conference always seems to get bashed by the media and just about everyone else. Sometimes it is more deserved than others. And I will be the first to admit that watching a Big 10 game sometimes takes about all the strength I can muster. I would rather watch a high school girl's basketball game than watch Wisconsin play.

But Izzo deserves his due. MSU wins in the spirit of team play-usually not a lot of starpower, defense, and rebounding. With the exception of the UNC game this year, MSU is normally competitive against other conferences. In spite of recent flash in the plan successes like OSU in 2007 and Illinois in 2005it is MSU that has managed to consistently carried the flag of the Big 10 for a long time on the national stage.

Izzo does it clean and without a lot of fanfare. Some even say he is under- appreciated and flies under the radar even though he has coached every 4 year player he has had at MSU to at least one Final 4 appearance. I really don't expect the Spartans to beat UConn, but if anyone can pull it off it will be Tom Izzo. So my humble vote goes to MSU with 'Nova a close second since they beat Duke. If these two don't win, I vote for that end of the world stuff.

Devilsfan
04-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Nova, so Jay can win a title, move to Vegas like Rollie, and hire Ty to be a pit boss.

grossbus
04-04-2009, 10:36 AM
"Villanova first, then MSU, then meteor strike."

exactly!

BulldogDancer81
04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
I was curious about this, myself. I didn't want to bring it up a) because it may seem like stirring the pot from a Carolina alum, and b) it's a day early. But I'd like to see the poll results, should the two favorites advance, of who you all would root against harder...

I assume I know the answer, but the two people in this thread actually surprised me.

I really can't say! I know as a Duke fan that's terrible to say. The answer should obviously be UNC, but I just really can't stand Calhoun. I probably wouldn't watch the final. It would be rough to see UNC win their fifth, but since I don't live in NC I wouldn't have to deal with it as much as those of you that do.

Hopefully Nova and/or MSU will get the job done tonight and we won't have to worry about that dreadful game.

jv001
04-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Nova
MSU
Uconn (whom I hate)
Then I hope the Lord comes so they can not win!

Nova because the players and coaches seem like good guys. Sort of like the Duke guys. Mich State next and I agree with you after that The Lord comes. Go Duke!

northernduke
04-04-2009, 02:02 PM
'Nova and if they don't win UCON on 1 LARGE caveat....

....the convicts beat carolina, have the title stripped in subsequent months, and neither UCON or carolina goes down in history as the champ.....imagine the holes' fans trying to justify giving Roy a phantom championship!

grossbus
04-04-2009, 02:53 PM
there would be a banner

millerecu
04-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Well I am rooting for Villinova, however I have another idea. If somehow Carowina and Uconvicts get to the championship game I hope Uconn wins. Then maybe they will have to vacate all of their wins from this season due to the NCAA violations and then no one technically wins the 2009 NCAA Championship!!! A man can wish!

TwoDukeTattoos
04-04-2009, 03:21 PM
I'll pull for Nova because they're playing UNC and because Jay Wright has not titles. If they lose, I'll pull for Mich St because I don't want Calhoun tying K with 3 titles, however, I think UCONN has a better chance to beat UNC than does Mich St.

TwoDukeTattoos
04-04-2009, 03:23 PM
...I love that the fourth and final option is simply "other". Further, I love that it is still supporting a big fat zero. If any poster populates that field, revoke his/her memebership to DBR. :)

msdukie
04-04-2009, 03:28 PM

The easy response to those who are actually concerned more about Calhoun's 3rd vs. UNC winning - once K wins his 4th, this will become a moot point....

weezie
04-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Villanova first, then MSU, then meteor strike.

Might be a tad to the south but maybe there are more on the way...

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/04/suffolk-man-says-he-saw-meteor-hit

Newton_14
04-04-2009, 05:53 PM
I really hate that the holes are in the 2nd game. This forces me to pull for UConvicts in game 1 in case the holes win in game 2. I normally would pull for anybody over Uconn but I think they would have a much better chance of beating the holes than Michigan St would.....

slower
04-04-2009, 06:22 PM
but Mich St will give them a good working over.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but...I hope Thabeet is okay after that fall.

And Kemba Walker may be the Lawson-stopper.

MAG0297
04-04-2009, 06:46 PM
The easy response to those who are actually concerned more about Calhoun's 3rd vs. UNC winning - once K wins his 4th, this will become a moot point....

I agree completely...anybody but UNC; I don't want to listen to the gloating for the next year (and beyond)

hc5duke
04-04-2009, 07:38 PM
would "other" be the Taliban?

stadium collapses

ArkieDukie
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
And the Victs are now out. Go Nova!

sivartrenrag
04-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm really happy MSU won. Izzo is a great coach and a class act and they are a fun team to watch. Plus it's fun to see them win at home in a state that's going through exceptionally hard times.

Now I'm pulling for 'Nova, obviously. Not only are they playing UNC but after seeing them beat Duke (:'() I have a huge man-crush on Jay Wright and I really enjoy watching the way they play the game.